PDA

View Full Version : Region IV Week 5 GotW: Bellville(3-2) Vs. El Campo(4-0)

Scoop27
09-29-2012, 09:09 AM
This along with Sealy will be El Campo's toughest game in district.
The Ricebirds were open after beating 4A Foster 16-7 two weeks ago.
They beat Waller, Bay City and Bryan Rudder handily

EC has a lot of depth and has a great coach in Bob Gillis. The Ricebirds are beatable but the Brahmas must play almost perfect ball

SHSBulldog00
09-29-2012, 09:29 AM
El Campo wins by 21+

Pudlugger
09-29-2012, 09:57 AM
This should be a great game. The Leps are on bye week and I'm trying to decide whether I'll go to this game or Sealy v Wharton. The outcome of these two games will go far in determining the playoff picture for D25. Bellville seems to be finding their groove in time for their run in district. Although conventional wisdom has El Campo in this game I'm going with Bellville by a td or so. You never can count the Bulls out.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
09-29-2012, 10:47 AM
El Campo makes it ugly

speedbump
09-29-2012, 06:55 PM
This should be a great game. The Leps are on bye week and I'm trying to decide whether I'll go to this game or Sealy v Wharton. The outcome of these two games will go far in determining the playoff picture for D25. Bellville seems to be finding their groove in time for their run in district. Although conventional wisdom has El Campo in this game I'm going with Bellville by a td or so. You never can count the Bulls out.

I recommend the Sealy- Wharton affair. Although Ricebird stadium is one of the best 3A stadiums in the state and the atmosphere is great,the game won't keep you on the edge of your seat nearly as long as the Sealy game. Add to that the fact that both of those teams will likely be in D-2 come playoff time you can kill two birds with one stone. Your Leps will almost surely catch one of them in bi district.

Interesting side note - La Grange and Wharton beat Needville by almost identical scores on consecutive fridays. The stats were very similar too. I'd like to see that match up.

Oh,by the way - EC 34 Bellville 9

hookandladder
09-29-2012, 08:00 PM
I recommend the Sealy- Wharton affair. Although Ricebird stadium is one of the best 3A stadiums in the state and the atmosphere is great,the game won't keep you on the edge of your seat nearly as long as the Sealy game. Add to that the fact that both of those teams will likely be in D-2 come playoff time you can kill two birds with one stone. Your Leps will almost surely catch one of them in bi district.

Interesting side note - La Grange and Wharton beat Needville by almost identical scores on consecutive fridays. The stats were very similar too. I'd like to see that match up.

Not sure how long Wharton's first team players were in the game against Needville but La Grange starters barely played the first half, at half our coaches told one of our players that does not play much that he will QB the second half. Our backup QB starts on defense and is also a key receivers on 3rd down so no need to take a chance on him getting hurt, we could have scored close to a 100 points on Needville if our starters had played the 3rd quarter.

Pudlugger
09-29-2012, 08:13 PM
That's a fact.

I think I'll go watch the Wharton-Sealy game it should be very interesting regardless of the outcome.

Dogs_21
09-29-2012, 08:46 PM
El Campo by at least 14! I have seen both teams play and I think El Campo is the better out the two.

Manso/V8
09-30-2012, 12:41 AM

Hold on there Birdie, El Campo is 4-0 against a relatively weak schedule. We have already learned that 4a is not automatically better than 3a. I have seen film on El Campo, I have seen Bellville play. If Bellville plays their game well, it is gonna be a close one. I will take the Brahmas by 7.

sTxforlife
09-30-2012, 02:56 AM
El Campo can name their score in this one, Ricebirds run Bellville out of the stadium.

gambler1606
09-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Hold on there Birdie, El Campo is 4-0 against a relatively weak schedule. We have already learned that 4a is not automatically better than 3a. I have seen film on El Campo, I have seen Bellville play. If Bellville plays their game well, it is gonna be a close one. I will take the Brahmas by 7.

Amen!!!

speedbump
09-30-2012, 02:27 PM

Yea, 4A is so bad I can't imagine why you guys aren't playing Brenham and Waller every year instead those toughies ya'll have played. Think of all the money you could save on gasoline. Two questions - How is Bellville going to stop ECs offense and when they can't how are they going to score the thirty or so they will need to pull off the upset?

YTBulldogs
09-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Closer than most think IMO.

Manso/V8
09-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Yea, 4A is so bad I can't imagine why you guys aren't playing Brenham and Waller every year instead those toughies ya'll have played. Think of all the money you could save on gasoline. Two questions - How is Bellville going to stop ECs offense and when they can't how are they going to score the thirty or so they will need to pull off the upset?
Go ahead, keep thinking that way, it worked for Stephenville and LaMarque! Honestly, just looking at the stats for Brenham and Waller, they both seem down this year compared to past years. Nonetheless, 4-0 is 4-0, and congrats on your success so far this season.

If the Brahmas continue to improve on D and again play 4 quarters of football, I say we have a shot at keeping the EC offense in check. Our biggest issue has been giving up big plays and big returns, and that has generally been improving week by week.

When the Bellville offense is clicking, they can control a game and frustrate teams. With all of our backfield back 100%, you might just get a surprise.

Give us some details on the mighty Ricebirds! Yeah , you used to be a 4a team. How about some details on the style of offense and defense and individual players to watch?

Dogs_21
09-30-2012, 05:29 PM
El Campo is pretty big up front! #56 is a BEAST at DT (Rice Commit) , They have 3 good RBs, #6 Cole Hunt TE/DE is very good and a (Rice Commit). They pound you on offense and that tackle well on defense. It should be a slug fest but I think El Campo will put it off.

speedbump
09-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Go ahead, keep thinking that way, it worked for Stephenville and LaMarque! Honestly, just looking at the stats for Brenham and

Give us some details on the mighty Ricebirds! Yeah , you used to be a 4a team. How about some details on the style of offense and defense and individual players to watch?

Funny how you keep bringing up 4A and then acting as if I was the one that played that card. I've only seen a couple of other EC fans posting on this board and I've never seen them mention it. I know I've never brought up 4A once. It's obviously a bigger thing to you than me.

El Campo runs a Wing T from multiple sets and run is what they do. Run, run and run some more. We have four RBs that avg. 7.95 to 9.11 per carry and the QB is is at 7.67 per. and he can throw it very well if he needs to.They have lightening and thunder in the backfield with Jac Davis and Montray Johnson and a tight end (committed to Rice) that goes 6'7 - 245. He's a beast on blocking assignments and DE. Trey Martin,also a Rice commit anchors a big physical line that,along with rest of the guys,play with great intensity and discipline. That's the case because of great coaching. The Ricebirds first defense has allowed one touchdown this year (Foster). Twenty of the 40 points scored by the opposition came during the last 13 and a half minutes of the Rudder game against the second and/or third D. The other 14 on kick off returns. Hopefully that's been remedied. I expect the Brahmas to come in and give a terrific effort but sometimes,as we found out last year against Manvel, it's just not enough.

Red Bull
10-01-2012, 08:05 AM
I think it all depends on what Bellville team shows up for this one. We all know El Campo is good and should be the favored team in this game coming from success in 4A down to 3A. But don't count out Coach Rowe and the Bulls. I think this game will be closer than most think and will come down to turnovers and field position.

I predict El Campo 28-21, but a turnover here or there and the score could flip flop.

Scoop27
10-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Remembered who the Ricebirds have played though. Not taking anything away from then. Gillis is one of the best coaches in the state. Any classificaton.

The Brahmas will bet their toughest foe. This game won't be decided until late in the 4th quarter with the Birds coming out on top

pancho villa
10-01-2012, 11:10 AM
This one could get ugly (Especially if all the Bellville women sit in one place)

1st and goal
10-01-2012, 12:10 PM
This one could get ugly (Especially if all the Bellville women sit in one place)

I think Pancho has a seester in law that is from Bellville.

OLE'BULL
10-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I am going to make the trip to El Campo for this one. Hopefully we have a good showing b/c this would be a huge win for the Bulls and a serious confidence booster. Beating El Campo in their house will not be easy, but can be done. We just have to keep the ball out of their hands, AND have a plan if we happen to get down early. Hopefully the Brahmas are working on the passing game this week b/c I think we will have to throw the ball to beat 'em. I can never predict the Bulls to lose, so Bellville by a TD!!!

bird_fan
10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
This I think will be a great defensve game[/ with lots of great hits and good defensive plays butinthe El Campo will take it. Both these team are very simular in style and tradition
Past Games
1987 Bellville 8 El Campo 7
1986 Bellville 33 El Campo 14
1956 El Campo 26 Bellville 20
1953 El Campo 18 Bellville 7
1952 El Campo 7 Bellville 0
1937 El Campo 6 Bellville 0
1936 Bellville 12 El Campo 0
they usually play each other close

Yoe_09
10-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Bellville(3-2)
W 77-15 over Caldwell
L 41-13 to Houston Kinkaid
L 21-14 to Giddings
W 28-26 over Sweeny
W 55-6 over Columbus

Vs.

El Campo(4-0)
W 31-0 over Waller
W 55-26 over Bryan Rudder
W 56-7 over Bay City
W 16-7 over Richmond Foster

Thoughts & Predictions?

buff4ever
10-03-2012, 09:20 AM
I pick el campo in this game, because quite frankly they are coming in as the better team. However, I expect Bellville to compete in this game deep into the 4th qtr. Blah Blah Blah, if turnovers or whatever, yes bellville can win this game, but I think they come up just short. It is time to see if El Campo is as good as they are advertised.

Red Bull
10-03-2012, 12:48 PM

Why don't you ask Brenham what happened last time Bellville scrimmaged them in football and last time Bellville played them in baseball? You might find out it isn't always the smaller school that wants out.

As for your two questions, I think Bellville D will bend, but not break verses Rice Bird's offense. Also, Bellville O can put up some points. It should be good, close game so don't just count the Bulls out yet.

HEMOTOXIC
10-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Why don't you ask Brenham what happened last time Bellville scrimmaged them in football and last time Bellville played them in baseball? You might find out it isn't always the smaller school that wants out.

As for your two questions, I think Bellville D will bend, but not break verses Rice Bird's offense. Also, Bellville O can put up some points. It should be good, close game so don't just count the Bulls out yet.

Funny thing, and a true story, we've played Brenham every year since the early 1900s up until 2003 or 2004 (I believe that was the last year). Brenham has been and always will be our biggest rilvary. In 2003 or 2004, we went down to 3A. We beat the top 10 Cubs 53-27 that year at the Astrodome. Ever since then, we have not played Brenham and it wasn't Navasota who wanted out.

Point being, if you have a program that is competitive, they will find a way to win. I expect Bellville to compete. Whether the Brahmas pull out the victory will be determined. But, Bellville has the ability to beat the Ricebirds.

hookandladder
10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Hard to tell what El Campo really has, this game will tell us a lot more since they have not played any good teams this year. Have to go with El Campo being at home, Bellville seems to be up and down this year. I say EC by 2 Td's.

Bull's-eye
10-04-2012, 12:20 AM
IMO, Bellville made huge strides last week to become a playoff team. One thing we all need to remember, don't judge a team from watching them play only one game. Buff4ever, not directing this at you, but I see a much better team that played Giddings. The Brahmas finally have a back capable of getting outside & also making those game changing plays. Yes, he played against the Buffs, but clearly he wasn't a 100% due to an injury. The Bellville coaches have tweaked a few things to make their offense better, especially when they come up against a good run defense.

For Bellville to win this game, their offense must move the chains & control the clock. I do worry about EC size in the trenches, I just don't think the Bellville defense can hold up a full 4 quarters to the stout EC running game. Bellville will have to be deceptive on offense, use a short effective passing game & most importantly keep moving the chains. The longer they keep the EC offense off the field, the better chance they have of winning this game.

hookandladder
10-04-2012, 06:20 AM
IMO, Bellville made huge strides last week to become a playoff team. One thing we all need to remember, don't judge a team from watching them play only one game. Buff4ever, not directing this at you, but I see a much better team that played Giddings. The Brahmas finally have a back capable of getting outside & also making those game changing plays. Yes, he played against the Buffs, but clearly he wasn't a 100% due to an injury. The Bellville coaches have tweaked a few things to make their offense better, especially when they come up against a good run defense.

For Bellville to win this game, their offense must move the chains & control the clock. I do worry about EC size in the trenches, I just don't think the Bellville defense can hold up a full 4 quarters to the stout EC running game. Bellville will have to be deceptive on offense, use a short effective passing game & most importantly keep moving the chains. The longer they keep the EC offense off the field, the better chance they have of winning this game.

I do not see Bellville being very successful throwing the ball unless you have another QB other then the big Senior kid, it will have to be a ground and pound for Bellville to win this game. Defense will have to step up big time , I have not seen either team this year however i have seen Bellville the last few years and their Senior class does not have a lot of skilled players. I assume their Junior class has some good talent , should be a good game however feel the depth of EC will be to much for Bellville in the 4th.

LHPfactory
10-04-2012, 08:13 AM
I am going to make the trip to El Campo for this one. Hopefully we have a good showing b/c this would be a huge win for the Bulls and a serious confidence booster. Beating El Campo in their house will not be easy, but can be done. We just have to keep the ball out of their hands, AND have a plan if we happen to get down early. Hopefully the Brahmas are working on the passing game this week b/c I think we will have to throw the ball to beat 'em. I can never predict the Bulls to lose, so Bellville by a TD!!!

If Bellville is running the Slot-T and depending on the pass they are in trouble. Now a nice pass from time to time as a surprise is a great tool within the Slot-T.
However, Bellville will need to establish the Trap to win this game.

StangEm
10-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I gotta go with EC by 2 TD's in this one. The Brahmas just don't have what they used to have.

defense51
10-04-2012, 09:00 PM
El Campo by 10

Manso/V8
10-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Funny how you keep bringing up 4A and then acting as if I was the one that played that card. I've only seen a couple of other EC fans posting on this board and I've never seen them mention it. I know I've never brought up 4A once. It's obviously a bigger thing to you than me.

El Campo runs a Wing T from multiple sets and run is what they do. Run, run and run some more. We have four RBs that avg. 7.95 to 9.11 per carry and the QB is is at 7.67 per. and he can throw it very well if he needs to.They have lightening and thunder in the backfield with Jac Davis and Montray Johnson and a tight end (committed to Rice) that goes 6'7 - 245. He's a beast on blocking assignments and DE. Trey Martin,also a Rice commit anchors a big physical line that,along with rest of the guys,play with great intensity and discipline. That's the case because of great coaching. The Ricebirds first defense has allowed one touchdown this year (Foster). Twenty of the 40 points scored by the opposition came during the last 13 and a half minutes of the Rudder game against the second and/or third D. The other 14 on kick off returns. Hopefully that's been remedied. I expect the Brahmas to come in and give a terrific effort but sometimes,as we found out last year against Manvel, it's just not enough.

The only reason I brought up 4a was the opponents you listed previously. We have scrimmaged and played some 4a teams the last couple of years, but not particularly strong teams.

Bellville runs a slot t. We run, run, run, and throw a few passes. Our passing game has not been as strong as we had hoped so far this year.........but the potential is there, we just haven't seen it yet. We have three pretty quick backs (actually four, but the fourth, and probably the quickest, mostly plays defense). The three primary backs were all over 100 yards last Friday. None they are power backs, but can be pretty elusive. I haven't heard any knicknames, but I guess we could call them windstorm, hurricane, and dust devil. Our OL is pretty good across the board and we have dominated the LOS in most of our games this year. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against the bigger, athletic El Campo line. Hopefully we can churn out some yards bit by bit. I doubt we will get the breakaway runs we have had with some of our previous opponents. We had one of the best defenses in 3a last year.....but not so far this year. We have improved week by week and I think this game will be our biggest challenge thus far, and perhaps of the season. None of our kids play on both sides of the ball except for some special siituations like goal line stances. or a need to stop a 3rd or 4th and short. We really have to play our game, execute, and play a full four quarters to compete and beat the Ricebirds.
I say we can do it, Bellville by a TD.

29-3aFAN
10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
El Campo by 10

zebrablue2
10-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Game day! May both teams play injury free, and GO BULLS...

HEMOTOXIC
10-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Good luck to my friends over in Bellville. And, GO BULLS!

hookandladder
10-05-2012, 08:59 PM
I am listening to the El Campo radio broadcast of the game and these guys are not very smart, they have also already named Gonzales District champs. Not just becasue saying Gonzales will be District champs, just not very good annoucers.

bird_fan
10-06-2012, 03:11 AM
ricebirdswin in dominating fashion 28-7

Football DAD
10-06-2012, 07:21 AM

Well, Manso/V8 how was that weak schedule they played. We had less than a 100 of offense.

zebrablue2
10-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Well, Manso/V8 how was that weak schedule they played. We had less than a 100 of offense.

Saw that in the paper, like 400 to 95 total yds, WOW...

OLE'BULL
10-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Saw that in the paper, like 400 to 95 total yds, WOW...

Ouch that is not good. It seemed like we got beat worse than what the score showed. We HAVE to figure out how to be consistently effective throwing the football. Our scat backs, who are damn good, will continue to be ineffective against big, good, quick defenses. To make, or go anywhere in the playoffs, we will have to balance our attack a bit more. Not saying go air Bellville, but throwing 12-15 times a game BEFORE we get down might keep a defense honest.

bird_fan
10-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Ouch that is not good. It seemed like we got beat worse than what the score showed. We HAVE to figure out how to be consistently effective throwing the football. Our scat backs, who are damn good, will continue to be ineffective against big, good, quick defenses. To make, or go anywhere in the playoffs, we will have to balance our attack a bit more. Not saying go air Bellville, but throwing 12-15 times a game BEFORE we get down might keep a defense honest.COLOR="#FF0000"]El Campo had 165yards in penilities so manyholding calls it was redculous and not like an El Campo team thy need to clean it up to do better This game ws a lot of what I expeted these two team are just so simular in the way they play likr mirror images of each other Im sure Bellvill will make the playoffs and be a factor I wish them the best the restof the year[/COLOR]

speedbump
10-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I am listening to the El Campo radio broadcast of the game and these guys are not very smart, they have also already named Gonzales District champs. Not just becasue saying Gonzales will be District champs, just not very good annoucers.

Hard to tell what La Grange really has, this game will tell us a lot more since they have not played any good teams this year. Michael Perry is Rice grad where he was a super punt KO return guy. I'm sure he's a real dummy. Maybe they should listen to the amateur hour on the Bellville broadcast and learn something. LOL

Football DAD
10-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Ouch that is not good. It seemed like we got beat worse than what the score showed. We HAVE to figure out how to be consistently effective throwing the football. Our scat backs, who are damn good, will continue to be ineffective against big, good, quick defenses. To make, or go anywhere in the playoffs, we will have to balance our attack a bit more. Not saying go air Bellville, but throwing 12-15 times a game BEFORE we get down might keep a defense honest.

Yes, that is true. It comes down to the offensive line. We have the same backs as last year. I think the key is with the QB, last year the quarterback could run and throw. He could make something happen out of a busted play. Looking at the stats this years QB doesn't like to run. Just in my opinion.

Bull's-eye
10-06-2012, 03:25 PM
The score was a lot closer than the actual game. El Campo has size, speed & a QB that can beat you in so many ways. The Ricebirds will need to clean up those penalties, but they are definitely my favorite to win D25 & make a deep playoff run. Hats off to the EC people, they were great hosts & have a top notch stadium.

hookandladder
10-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Hard to tell what La Grange really has, this game will tell us a lot more since they have not played any good teams this year. Michael Perry is Rice grad where he was a super punt KO return guy. I'm sure he's a real dummy. Maybe they should listen to the amateur hour on the Bellville broadcast and learn something. LOL

I will agree the last 4 teams that we have played were not very talented however Columbus put up 40 points on Giddings and Canyon Lake has two close losses to Burnet and La Vernia, Marble Falls was a game we should have won but costly turnovers changed that game. We were fixin to go up by 3 scores in the first half when back to back fumbles change everything, Also MF QB was pretty good. Just set a State record for passing yards in a game against a 4A team. I should have been more direct about the anouncers, big time homers and complained about all the penalties against EC. They even made remarks about the umpiring being bad because of playing on the 3A level. Just dumb comments.

speedbump
10-07-2012, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=hookandladder;1700893]I will agree the last 4 teams that we have played were not very talented however Columbus put up 40 points on Giddings and Canyon Lake has two close losses to Burnet and La Vernia, Marble Falls was a game we should have won but costly turnovers changed that game. We were fixin to go up by 3 scores in the first half when back to back fumbles change everything, Also MF QB was pretty good. Just set a State record for passing yards in a game against a 4A team. I should have been more direct about the anouncers, big time homers and complained about all the penalties against EC. They even made remarks about the umpiring being bad because of playing on the 3A level. Just dumb comments.[/QUOT

I've been watching this stuff for 52 years and I've never seen a more hideous example of officiating. TJ Mills and co. cry about calls constantly and Mitchell was even complaining about calls in a blowout of Needville. I'm not sure how they decide what crews handle games at what level but I've already seen more whining about officials at the 3A level than I did in 43 years in 4A. Probably just a coincidence but I'm going to pay close attention for a while.

You can call holding on every team on every down. How do call 16 penalties on one team and 5 on the other?

hookandladder
10-07-2012, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=hookandladder;1700893]I will agree the last 4 teams that we have played were not very talented however Columbus put up 40 points on Giddings and Canyon Lake has two close losses to Burnet and La Vernia, Marble Falls was a game we should have won but costly turnovers changed that game. We were fixin to go up by 3 scores in the first half when back to back fumbles change everything, Also MF QB was pretty good. Just set a State record for passing yards in a game against a 4A team. I should have been more direct about the anouncers, big time homers and complained about all the penalties against EC. They even made remarks about the umpiring being bad because of playing on the 3A level. Just dumb comments.[/QUOT

I've been watching this stuff for 52 years and I've never seen a more hideous example of officiating. TJ Mills and co. cry about calls constantly and Mitchell was even complaining about calls in a blowout of Needville. I'm not sure how they decide what crews handle games at what level but I've already seen more whining about officials at the 3A level than I did in 43 years in 4A. Probably just a coincidence but I'm going to pay close attention for a while.

You can call holding on every team on every down. How do call 16 penalties on one team and 5 on the other?

In the words of the umpires calling the game, EC was committing more penalties then Bellville. Yes there is holding on every play , just need to do a better job of hiding it.

speedbump
10-07-2012, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1700897]

In the words of the umpires calling the game, EC was committing more penalties then Bellville. Yes there is holding on every play , just need to do a better job of hiding it.

LOL - Oldest cop out in the world. I doubt any of those officials used it.

hookandladder
10-07-2012, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=hookandladder;1700904]

LOL - Oldest cop out in the world. I doubt any of those officials used it.

Bottom line officials never win or lose a game, oldest cop out in the world. I cannot stand to listen to people used the refs as to why they lost a game, there are many plays throughout a game that could have won or lost a game. Terrible excuse and a sign of a poor loser, just admitt you got beat on that night and move on.

speedbump
10-07-2012, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1700923]

Bottom line officials never win or lose a game, oldest cop out in the world. I cannot stand to listen to people used the refs as to why they lost a game, there are many plays throughout a game that could have won or lost a game. Terrible excuse and a sign of a poor loser, just admitt you got beat on that night and move on.

We didn't lose. We won by three TDs. Try to keep up.

Spanish Camp
10-07-2012, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1700923]

The EC / Bellville game was the worst officiated game I have ever watched live, seen on film, watched on TV, listened to on the radio, ..... Officiating cost EC another 3-4 scores. If EC had not dominated every aspect of the game, the officials would have determined the outcome. Not acceptable.

Specifically, the umpire and referee were terrible ----watch the film. EC linemen were putting defensive linemen on their backs. Just physical play and finishing blocks--plain and simple.

In any case, a win is a win. Bellville plays hard and is well coached. Hope they do well going forward.

Just don't let the penalty yardage in the line score taint your impression of El Campo's typical games.

Manso/V8
10-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Congrats to the Ricebirds. They have a good team and play with great intensity. We knew the Brahmas were the underdogs coming in, and had a big task in front of them with the overall size, athleticism, and depth that El Campo has this year. IMO, we had a to play a smart controlled game to compete, but things didn't go too well from the start. Trying to run the opening kick off out of the endzone was a mistake and that put us at about the 10. Our opening play went for no gain (or maybe a loss) off tackle. Then for some reason, I guess panic, the OC forgot that we are a slot t team and calls for a a pass and the QB was sacked for a loss, and after 3rd down, we are pinned in/against our own endzone for the punt. On our first defensive play, #2, the fastest kid on the field and the best player/playmaker for the Brahmas makes the stop. Then on our second defensive play, #2 sprains his ankle and is done for the night. That changed our defense and possibilites on offense dramatically. We just don't have the depth to replace a player like that, especially on defense. Not too long after that, we lost a starting DT to a knee injury, and that didn't help either. We would have made a better game of it if those two players had being able to continue.

We did score on the Ricebird 1st team defense, only the second team to so that according to speedbump. We went in to the half down 14-7. The Brahmas didn't show up in the second half, as has been the case most of the year. I think if we would have played within our capabiliites and tried to churn on the ground, it would have been a better showing. Our passing game has not been there all year, and to expect it to gel against the Ricebird rush was a stretch. I would have rather seen the QB rollout and take off running, or carry the ball up the middle. The times we tried that it worked. These Brahmas haven't played well from behind and it showed again on Friday.

The Ricebird QB did a good job executing, running the ball, and passing. The big tight end can move real well for a kid that tall and has a lot of upside. I look forward to seeing him progress at the next level. I didn't notice any blazing speed in the backfield, but the RB's ran real hard.

As far as the penalties go, when there are that many in a game it makes everyone come away with a negative feeling, even if the calls are going against the other team. I think El Campo needs to be looking at themselves and their style of play rather than complaining about the officiating. I'm not saying the Ricebirds play dirty on purpose, but it sure seemed that way at times, more likely it is just that they play with great intensity. We played Coldsping last year, and they played with great intensity and got flagged alot on offense as well. Sure, holding can probably be called on every play. I saw a couple of our DL in town yesterday and asked them about it, and they said the EC players were grabbing their jerseys and shoulder pads and/or tackling them on every play, a lot more than any other team has. The holding calls we saw near the visitor's side were so blatant they had to be called. I can't speak for the calls I didn't see.

The back-to-back holding calls that brought the EC coach on to the field didn't look too cool from where we were sitting. I know their was a second flag for a total of 30 yards on the second holding call in a row. Was that second flag thrown on the coach, or was it for something else? It looked like it was on the coach, but I'm not sure. Even after that second flag, that coach, or maybe it was another coach continued to berate the ref, and from where I was sitting, it looked like he kind of chest bumped the ref during the berating. Then again, it was on the other side of the field, so I couldn't fully see what was going on. Please fill in what I am missing. The other thing I didn't care for, was the chop blocks. I know El Campo was called for at least one, so I started paying more attention to that and it sure looked like some of the the EC lineman were diving at our defenders knees. I am all for getting low, but not that low. Maybe it is just a coincidence that two of our DL left the game with knee injuries. Then there was the called and also uncalled roughing the passer infractions. Overall, EC may have been penalized a lot, but they also got away with a lot that wasn't flagged. I hope the Ricebirds can clean that up because it could really hurt their playoff run.

Anyway, thanks for having us down to gumbo land. You have a nice facility and a great looking scoreboard...........everyone on our sided was disappointed you didn't show the replay of our TD though. The train horn was a little obnoxious, but it wan't over the top.

Manso/V8
10-08-2012, 01:29 AM

Well, we were only only one of two teams to score on the Ricebirds this year, and I think the score was closer than most of their other games. If we hadn't had the injuries early in the game, we would have likely made a better showing and kept it closer. They didn't put their backups in until late in the 4th quarter, so they must have had some respect for our capabilities.

Do feel vindicated in the loss or something? In general, I like to look for the positive going in to a tough game and not dwell on the negative.

Ville-D
10-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Go ahead, keep thinking that way, it worked for Stephenville and LaMarque!

One quick point there Manso, Stephenville has not lost to a 3a school and the one we have played and beat by 21 was supposed to be one of the top teams according to 3a gurus.

Manso/V8
10-08-2012, 09:03 AM
One quick point there Manso, Stephenville has not lost to a 3a school and the one we have played and beat by 21 was supposed to be one of the top teams according to 3a gurus.

You are right, I was thinking about the MT game, and coming in to a game overconfident. MT would likely be a 4a or 5a team if they were classified. They have big numbers like a 5a school, but a lot fewer Mexican kids are interested in playing American football. I bet their soccer team is awesome!