PDA

View Full Version : Why is Newton so great?

Old Cardinal
07-12-2002, 09:12 AM
In pondering the question as to why Newton, even with a lower enrollment is so good; I came up with some considerations. In Newton there is not a lot of job opportunities after HS, and the best ticket out of town is a football scholarship. Every boys seems to be hopeful- from a very early age. Back at the turn of the century, the forestry industry paid more money than agricultural endeavors in the South. This was an age of no mechanization and toiling work in the saw mill industry. The big lumber companies, went out and hired the biggest strongest men available across the South, and these were the Grandparents of many of the big strong ball players each year in Newton football. I am of the opinion that Newton will always have a good team because so many boys see this endeavor as a way to get a chance to attend a College and continue to play football which they dearly love.

eye of the tiger
07-12-2002, 09:27 AM
You may be right Old Card about the offspring of the lumberjacks. A lot of the areas where oil wells are predominant have produced some winning programs also. At least when the industry is having boom times. Roughnecks are big and strong like lumbrerjacks. It would be an interesting study.

SintonFan
07-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Old Cardinal, that's a very interesting point. That would bring up the topic of genetics for football. I agree, it should deserve further study.

sinton66
07-12-2002, 01:57 PM
I've believed for some time that Sinton's success is due in part to the big German/ Chezch farm/ranch boys in the area filling team positions. Not quite positive that it sets Sinton apart from the other 3A communities in the area, but I've always felt it was part of it.

VWG
07-12-2002, 04:11 PM
I can see some obvious points to this and they do become valid. Those areas of the country where "farming, ranching, oilfield, etc.." are major sources of employment do tend to lead to your point.
What about coaching? From what I know the coach at Newton has been there for several years and is a great coach. If you have a good program that can crank out hard working, dedicated football players you're bound to have success.

sinton66
07-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Yea, don't EVER let anyone tell you that coaching doesn't matter. It definitely does. The problem is that the best 3A coaches get pulled into bigger programs, and it isn't always a question of money. Davenport could have retired at Sinton if he wanted. He chose to go to 5A Corpus Christi Carroll because it was always one of his career goals to coach at the 5A level. He took a 2k pay cut to do it! Finding good ones and hanging on to them are two entirely different things in 3A.

Matthew328
07-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Newton is great year in and year out because they just have great athletes first off....maybe the whole gene pool thing has a bit to do with it....like eye of the tiger said it would be an interesting study...but for all you math majors here is a lil equation..
great athletes + great coaching= great teams

And that is why Newton is so good!

SintonFan
07-13-2002, 12:37 AM
66, Sinton has more Hispanics than Czech/German boys on average to play. It's funny though, I've had the same conversation with many from Sinton about the CZ/Ger. thing. Then suddenly Cuero, La Grange, Bellville and other like teams come up.

Don't forget the Bohemians!

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited July 13, 2002).]

sinton66
07-13-2002, 01:47 PM
Actually, my opinion on that subject is more like Sinton having a good (proper?) mixture of ethnic groups. I didn't intend to slight anyone. It says something about their ability to rise above their differences and play in a united team effort. I actually believe their ethnic diversity compliments their winning attitude. Sort of like they have figured out the strengths/weaknesses of each group and employ them in a complimentary manner. Hope that makes a little more sense than my previous.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited July 13, 2002).]

SintonFan
07-13-2002, 03:48 PM
Hehe, know one was slighted, just bringing up the obvious.

duckbutter
07-15-2002, 09:59 AM
You have a good point Old Card but I think the reason Newton does so well is because most of the kids here don't have anything. Newton Co. has one of the highest poverty rates in the state, a lot of the kids around here grow up with no tv or ac. They know that if they are ever going to have a better life that they must work hard and stay out of trouble and some of the kids pick sports as a way out. However I think that 80% of Newtons success is coaching. Barbay does an excellent job as does our DC WT Johnston. Good coaching + Kids that have nothing to lose= success.

Old Cardinal
07-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Great assessment and insite Duckbutter.

papasmurf
07-15-2002, 04:45 PM
Newotn is good we have nothing else to do in this town but play football. It is in our blood to play ball we were born for it.