PDA

View Full Version : Pink Outs Going Overboard

Matthew328
09-28-2012, 06:53 AM
I'm sorry but the pink out thing beats me down now....I'm all for support of Race for the Cure Etc....but we dont need football teams competing on who can add the most pink to their uniform etc...do we REALLY need pink eye "black"??? Put a ribbon on the helmet and roll with it, let the fans and cheerleaders wear as much pink as they ant but it looks to me like more of a distraction than anything else...

coach
09-28-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm sorry but the pink out thing beats me down now....I'm all for support of Race for the Cure Etc....but we dont need football teams competing on who can add the most pink to their uniform etc...do we REALLY need pink eye "black"??? Put a ribbon on the helmet and roll with it, let the fans and cheerleaders wear as much pink as they ant but it looks to me like more of a distraction than anything else...

You can thank the NFL for this. My only problem is why just pink? Why just breast cancer. I understand that it is leading cancer, but what about all the other cancers? My mother in law beat breast cancer and she says the same thing. My grandpa just beat a rare bone cancer and was declared cancer free last month. I really like what the MLB does with SU2C. Again Im not bashing the support, because i think its great. Lets just try to support all kinds of cancer.

Matthew328
09-28-2012, 07:35 AM
I think from a football perspective its almost as bad as homecoming now, maybe worse

jason
09-28-2012, 07:57 AM
http://legendsccstephenville.com/fliers/2012/pinkout.pdf

Ragin Red
09-28-2012, 08:38 AM
I think from a football perspective its almost as bad as homecoming now, maybe worse
What do you think is wrong with Homecoming? I know that my boys love the feeling of the whole tradition that is Homecoming. The town gets into the spirit of homecoming, everyone is buzzing the whole week of festivities.

Matthew328
09-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Most coaches hate homecoming, lots of distractions, gets teams out of the routine...Pink Outs are the same thing, its turning into a big distraction

MGAR
09-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Homecoming..... nowadays means lots of beer will be drank.

This is homecoming week for me...

http://www.beer100.com/images/beermug.jpg

Ernest T Bass
09-28-2012, 09:07 AM
THANK YOU!! If you want to support breast cancer research, donate money to Koman; run in the Race for the Cure; volunteer some time at a hospital or breast cancer research center. But putting on a ton of pink stuff doesn't do anything for anyone, and really doesn't impress me.

Matthew328
09-28-2012, 09:11 AM
i know at Everman, Keeling put a stop to it...they put a sticker on the helmet and thats it...

vtskneb
09-28-2012, 09:21 AM
i know at Everman, Keeling put a stop to it...they put a sticker on the helmet and thats it...

Well he must support cancer. :) Regarding homecoming, I am not sure it could mean less in Stephenville, expect to the flower shops who sell mums at what has to be an unreal profit.

Mojo84
09-28-2012, 09:22 AM
My sister is dealing with breast cancer at the moment and I appreciate the efforts to bring awareness to the cause. I also agree with putting a sticker on the helmet. If the announcer wants to make a comment about it to bring additional awareness then that would be fine with me. Otherwise, all the other pink uniforms, accessories and whatnot are too much.

Ragin Red
09-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Most coaches hate homecoming, lots of distractions, gets teams out of the routine...Pink Outs are the same thing, its turning into a big distraction

I can agree with you, but on the same note I believe that teams do get more fired up because it is homecoming and it is for the most part a very special night to represent their school.:)

Bullaholic
09-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Most of you know me to be an old schooler who is not timid when it comes to football----but I've got to tell you I think the struggle of human life is tough enough without the terrible added burden of cancer---so I've got to say that any increased awareness that helps those suffering with any form of this horrible, insidious, and relentless disease cannot be over the top in my book. Cancer knows no limits---so why should we when fighting it?

hollywood
09-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I can agree with you, but on the same note I believe that teams do get more fired up because it is homecoming and it is for the most part a very special night to represent their school.:)

I guess La Vega missed the memo last week.

Matthew328
09-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Most of you know me to be an old schooler who is not timid when it comes to football----but I've got to tell you I think the struggle of human life is tough enough without the terrible added burden of cancer---so I've got to say that any increased awareness that helps those suffering with any form of this horrible, insidious, and relentless disease cannot be over the top in my book. Cancer knows no limits---so why should we when fighting it?

It's become a business for some, the 50 bucks kids are spending on pink gloves etc could be donated for cancer research. When retailers try to capitalize on the pink craze by sending out seperate catalogs for October with pink stuff in it I think its a little overboard....do we really need to raise awareness for breast cancer? Does anyone know of any mentally competent adult not aware of breast cancer and how horrible it is?

Old Timer
09-28-2012, 01:11 PM
From what I've read on various boards, Everman seems to have it figured out. Their HC had breast cancer awareness stickers placed on each helmet. Problem solved. The kids get to display their respect and sympathy for breast cancer fighters and the coach(es) get to avoid the fight against pink...

Matthew328
09-28-2012, 01:40 PM
From what I've read on various boards, Everman seems to have it figured out. Their HC had breast cancer awareness stickers placed on each helmet. Problem solved. The kids get to display their respect and sympathy for breast cancer fighters and the coach(es) get to avoid the fight against pink...

I doubt its just Everman who does that, but its a win/win for them

Bullaholic
09-28-2012, 01:55 PM
It's become a business for some, the 50 bucks kids are spending on pink gloves etc could be donated for cancer research. When retailers try to capitalize on the pink craze by sending out seperate catalogs for October with pink stuff in it I think its a little overboard....do we really need to raise awareness for breast cancer? Does anyone know of any mentally competent adult not aware of breast cancer and how horrible it is?

I agree on the commercialization, Matt---but not on the awareness part---the idea behind the pink campaign is not only to raise awareness, but to show support for cancer victims. If the pink displays cause even 1 cancer victim without much support to feel like that many, many people care, it is proven that goes a long way to extending the life expectancy of cancer victims because it re-enforces their hope and will to live.

Matthew328
10-18-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-is-the-nfl-profitting-off-of-breast-cancer-2012-10

This at least makes you think.....

I need the women's sports to join the fight against prostate or testicular cancer!

oldtownag
10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
You don't see any WNBA games with the ladies wearing these:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9RxNeIQuLMc0MK6q_AhH7B06khz8m8 Qkz0TT7S-7cT1MEJpg5uA

regaleagle
10-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Awareness of breast cancer is absolutely at the nth degree. More people are aware of breast cancer than most other forms of illness combined. I agree....too much is spent on this one disease at the expense of others. NBA, NFL, MLB, PGA, NCAA, now Texas HS Football??? Give it a rest and come up with another cause that needs more support. Pink is out.....bring in the blue.

bp80884
10-19-2012, 06:55 AM
I agree with this thread.

I thought it was very interesting the Indy Colts got their hand slapped for wearing Orange in support of their coach who is going through treatment for leukemia.

The NFL did not fine them but told them not to do it again.

I would say we recognize Breast Cancer as an important cause but I too think we are going over the top.

Good luck to all of the boys playing tonight and the girls who will be playing volleyball tonight.

Farmersfan
10-19-2012, 08:05 AM
The amazing thing is that Breast Cancer is actually the second most common cancer in women in the United States, after skin cancer, according to the Mayo Clinic. So let's put pink ribbons on all the folks and tell them to go out in the sun and display their support for the cause!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Eagle11
10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
until you have seen someone you love die from cancer you would think that its too much. then you understand that we dont do enough

Aesculus gilmus
10-19-2012, 08:43 AM
Simple solution is just to drop "breast" and make it a "cancer awareness" thing, although, as many have already said, unless you've spent your life in a coma, you ARE aware of cancer.

Matthew328
10-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Baseball's step up to Cancer is cool...it covers all cancers

Roughneck93
10-24-2012, 04:41 PM
You knew this was coming...

NFL to use pink penalty flags for the Jets-Dolphins game this Sunday.

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/NFL-to-use-pink-penalty-flags-for-Dolphins-Jets-3978203.php

SintonFan
10-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Sometimes there is a thing called over-exposure. It creates apathy.

Indian 1985
10-25-2012, 08:53 AM

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/NFL-to-use-pink-penalty-flags-for-Dolphins-Jets-3978203.php
I saw that on the news this morning. Yeah, this is going way overboard!

Txbroadcaster
10-25-2012, 09:12 AM

I would actually rather see that than all the pink shoes, gloves and such

rojosgirl
10-25-2012, 11:39 AM
I'M NOT A PINK FAN FOR ANY REASON! Support your cause, but pink has no place on the football field or any other athletic venue. I know there are many out there battling many kinds of cancer and I pray for them every day. The pink stuff has gone way overboard. Keep it for Pepto Bismol and cotton candy.

:kiss:

Old Tiger
10-25-2012, 04:31 PM
I saw something once that more men are effected by prostate cancer than women are effected by breast cancer.

Indian 1985
10-25-2012, 04:52 PM
I saw something once that more men are effected by prostate cancer than women are effected by breast cancer.

1. Everyone loves ta-tas! And, they are always right there for everyone to look at.
2. You have to stick your finger into a very dark, smelly & dirty place to find a prostate!

SintonFan
10-25-2012, 06:13 PM
1. Everyone loves ta-tas! And, they are always right there for everyone to look at.
2. You have to stick your finger into a very dark, smelly & dirty place to find a prostate!

I'm sure OT knows alot about number 2.

Old Tiger
10-25-2012, 06:15 PM

There has been some fat girls more often than not and I'll leave it at that. lol

Roughneck93
10-25-2012, 09:31 PM
I would actually rather see that than all the pink shoes, gloves and such

Yep, me too.

Roughneck93
10-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Someone is finally wearing pink jerseys... :ack!:

http://www.cbssports.com/images/collegefootball/nmsu-pink-jerseys.jpg

Old Tiger
10-08-2013, 09:20 PM

shocker!!!

Matthew328
10-08-2013, 10:01 PM
I was so ahead of the curve on this....lol

Txbroadcaster
10-08-2013, 10:11 PM
I was so ahead of the curve on this....lol

btw..i can agree with you on the pink thing..but as far as homecoming that is just coaches pissed off they have to do more...football and homecoming go hand in hand

Ville-D
10-08-2013, 10:36 PM
shocker!!!

I see what you did there...

caleb_mccaig
10-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Is this really hurting anyone physically or to the point they'll blow their brains out? I feel like this is another difference between the old and new generation of football players. Being apart of the younger generation our coach didn't let us wear anything. No armbands, visors or shoe tape and it bothered almost every guy on my team including me. In my opinion let the kids do what they want and they won't think about it again. The pink is something this generation likes and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down anytime soon. It's one month out of the year just let it play out. I know it may hurt for some of you to read this, but kids now and four years ago when I was in high school like to look good on the field. We do think about it and I know the guys do now a days. You know what Deion always said....."you look good, you feel good. If you feel good you play good."

D'Highlander
10-09-2013, 05:38 AM

:iagree: 100% (this is what bugs me about the whole thing)

coach
10-09-2013, 07:13 AM
I about lost it when I saw the pink flag being thrown this Sunday. We put a stop to it in Nac. If you truly want to support Breast Cancer than donate money. Most os athletes and even my jr high athletes are juat wearing pink to look cool. I had a Jr. High kid wrap his entire leg up with pink pre wrap. I told him to take that crap off, you look goofy.I like baseball's support better to. Stand up 2 cancer. Its a support of all typrs of cancer.

panfan
10-09-2013, 07:21 AM

Its overboard - c'mom they couldn't tell if a penalty flag had been thrown or it was one of the players towels.

jason
10-09-2013, 08:14 AM
'Pink-Out' Golf tournament, Saturday, Oct 26th.
It's a fun format, your team is only as good as the worst player who's on it.

http://legendsccstephenville.com/fliers/2013/pinkout.pdf (http://legendsccstephenville.com/fliers/2013/pinkout.pdf)

slpybear the bullfan
10-09-2013, 12:05 PM
NFL already stopping the Pink Penalty flag bit. Too much confusion with player towels.

IMHO, they need pink and blue ribbon decals on the helmets to promote breast and prostate cancer awareness, and thats it. PERIOD.

coach
10-09-2013, 01:09 PM
NFL already stopping the Pink Penalty flag bit. Too much confusion with player towels.

IMHO, they need pink and blue ribbon decals on the helmets to promote breast and prostate cancer awareness, and thats it. PERIOD.

They did stop thepink flag this week?

cougartino
10-09-2013, 02:37 PM
I have no problem with the fight against breast cancer other than, they always fail to mention, MEN ALSO GET BREAST CANCER! (Richard Roundtree)

Old Tiger
10-09-2013, 06:17 PM

Put a pink ribbon the left chest logo and blue ribbon on the right chest logo.

D'Highlander
10-10-2013, 05:46 AM
Put a pink ribbon the left chest logo and blue ribbon on the right chest logo.

A scripted statement before the moment of silence and call it good.

pancho villa
10-10-2013, 10:26 AM
I like breasts.

Roughneck93
10-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Brandon Marshall will be wearing lime green spikes tonight for Mental Health Awareness Week.

NFL will allow it, but he will be fined later.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/09/marshall-can-wear-green-shoes-on-thursday-night-after-all/

Roughneck93
10-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Oregon will be wearing this on Saturday...

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/MZPI.EVrvMkgxtfiKFsdew--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusncaafexperts/Oregon-uniform-pink.jpg

D'Highlander
10-18-2013, 12:05 PM
I would like to know how much was spent on pink accessories vs donations... how much does it cost to paint the helmets alone?

hollywood
10-18-2013, 12:13 PM
My U12 girls soccer team will be "pinked" out the next 2 games. Just wraps, hair bands, and tape though.

Roughneck93
10-18-2013, 01:45 PM
I would like to know how much was spent on pink accessories vs donations... how much does it cost to paint the helmets alone?

According to Business Insider...

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/525d9724eab8ea1c1a890ba9-450-408/untitled-1-3.png

http://www.businessinsider.com/small-amount-of-money-from-pink-nfl-merchandise-goes-to-breast-cancer-research-2013-10

Here's a small sample size of how much some schools spend on helmets...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9829911/uni-watch-explosion-college-football-helmets

Some schools auction off some of these helmets in order to recover some of the costs.

Oregon will auction off 25 of their pink helmets to raise money for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9837723/oregon-ducks-wear-pink-helmets-vs-washington-state-cougars

D'Highlander
10-18-2013, 02:10 PM
sad :doh:

hollywood
10-18-2013, 02:16 PM
It's $ they (ACS) wouldn't have gotten otherwise. 11% is a pretty good percentage.

Maroon87
10-18-2013, 04:31 PM
My U12 girls soccer team will be "pinked" out the next 2 games. Just wraps, hair bands, and tape though.

My stepdaughter's U8 team is wearing pink shirts instead of their normal unis for tomorrow's game.

Old Tiger
11-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Toledo is wearing pink right now on ESPN2 on November 20. What a slap in the face to prostate cancer awareness month.

NastySlot
11-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Toledo is wearing pink right now on ESPN2 on November 20. What a slap in the face to prostate cancer awareness month.
What a bunch of BOOBS

Roughneck93
11-20-2013, 09:06 PM

I thought ESPN was showing a replay of the game when I first tuned in.