PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater vs Brownwood

ccmom
09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Did they cancel this game or something? :vrycnfsd:

jason
09-26-2012, 01:21 PM
its a 1-3 vs a 2-2 who has played 2 2A schools (and lost to one of them)...
go watch wylies jv & freshman and you'll pretty much get the same type of game...

ccmom
09-26-2012, 01:23 PM
go watch wylies jv & freshman and you'll pretty much get the same type of game...

Ouch!!!!:eek: Well, alrighty then!!

Bosqueville
09-26-2012, 02:44 PM
I fully expect a Lion victory and by a wide margin. Good for us to go into district on a winning note.

mustang84
09-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Well Mustangs dont get much respect these days. I can tell you that the kids on this team will not stop fighting to win in any game they are playing. They are doing pretty good for having to learn a whole new system. Offense and defense are both totally new. Mustang offense can run or throw the ball which is much improved over the last three years. They are getting better so we will see how they are as the season goes on. Mustangs aren't far from being a 2a school so its hard to keep up with teams that have enrollments of over 900 kids in school compared to 489 that we have here in Sweetwater.

BEAST
09-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Well Mustangs dont get much respect these days. I can tell you that the kids on this team will not stop fighting to win in any game they are playing. They are doing pretty good for having to learn a whole new system. Offense and defense are both totally new. Mustang offense can run or throw the ball which is much improved over the last three years. They are getting better so we will see how they are as the season goes on. Mustangs aren't far from being a 2a school so its hard to keep up with teams that have enrollments of over 900 kids in school compared to 489 that we have here in Sweetwater.

It is hard for me to believe the Stangs enrollment has fallen off that much. I remember playing them in 4A. Then, for many years, they were a huge 3A. What is causing the decline in students? Folks just moving away or what?

BEAST

mustang84
09-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Several kids have move off. I think there are over 120 kids that have transfered out to the smaller school around here like Roscoe , Highland , Blackwell and Roby. Makes a big difference when you have lost that many kids. When i was in school here we had around 800 kids in High School.

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Several kids have move off. I think there are over 120 kids that have transfered out to the smaller school around here like Roscoe , Highland , Blackwell and Roby. Makes a big difference when you have lost that many kids. When i was in school here we had around 800 kids in High School.

Sorry, I've never bought low enrollment as an excuse. Look what Tatum did to us in 2005 with one of the lowest enrollments in 3A on their way to winning the SC. Hell, look at last week for that matter.

Also no football players would transfer to the schools you mentioned just to go 0-10? Band kids maybe...but no football players. That are any good anyway...

mustang84
09-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Sorry, I've never bought low enrollment as an excuse. Look what Tatum did to us in 2005 with one of the lowest enrollments in 3A on their way to winning the SC. Hell, look at last week for that matter.

Also no football players would transfer to the schools you mentioned just to go 0-10? Band kids maybe...but no football players. That are any good anyway...

There are kids playing for Roscoe , Roby and Highland that all were in school here before they transfered. Never said thats why we have had bad few years. But if you dont think only having 489 kids compared to almost 1000 kids makes a differents then you are kidding your self.

vtskneb
09-26-2012, 03:30 PM

That answers my question about getting a series going again with Sweetwater. I have heard that when you go to the games now there just are not as many young families in the stands, compared to 20-30 years ago. Just not an economy to support the population? Their location would seem like a place that would be absorbing the smaller communities not the other way around. I am really shocked to hear how much smaller Brownwood's enrollment is compared to Stephenville. That really surprises me to hear that is Sweetwater's enrollment. It is strange to think how much classification numbers have changed as much as they have with Stephenville's number not really changing all that much. Stephenville is not that far off number wise from the year they went Big School in 4A in 2005. And time marches on...

ccmom
09-26-2012, 03:39 PM
I am really shocked to hear how much smaller Brownwood's enrollment is compared to Stephenville.

Is there a big difference between Brownwood and Stephenville's enrollment? I was thinking Brownwood was somewhere around 930-940 and Sville 999....but my memory sucks.

jason
09-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Is there a big difference between Brownwood and Stephenville's enrollment? I was thinking Brownwood was somewhere around 930-940 and Sville 999....but my memory sucks.
brownwood 938
stephenville 999

vtskneb
09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
brownwood 938
stephenville 999

Was brownwood under 900 last redistricting? I was thinking they were. Okay, I stand corrected although for years Brownwood had a population around 20k and Stephenville's is around 15k. Is Brownwood population still that high? What about the county?

garciap77
09-26-2012, 04:37 PM
brownwood 938
stephenville 999

999=666http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/hmm.gif

BwdLion73
09-26-2012, 05:50 PM
The population of Brown county is over 30,000 close to 36,000 or so I think. I'm not sure how many smaller schools Erath county has. Inside our county we have Early, Bangs, Blanket, Zephyr, Victory Life Acad. Brookesmith, and May who all have football teams. That takes some talent away.

Phantom Stang
09-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I heard a few years ago, that there were Sweetwater kids commuting to Abilene Wylie.
Any truth to that?

Pendragon13
09-27-2012, 12:14 PM
I heard a few years ago, that there were Sweetwater kids commuting to Abilene Wylie.
Any truth to that?Yes, Sweetwater is well within the Wylie school district, therefore kids have to choose between red or purple.

Actually I have no idea what you're talking about..:vrycnfsd:

Phantom Stang
09-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Yes, Sweetwater is well within the Wylie school district, therefore kids have to choose between red or purple.

Actually I have no idea what you're talking about..:vrycnfsd:

Nowadays with Open Enrollment, living in the same school district doesn't matter if the school you are transfering to will accept you. I know for a fact there are kids who live in Sweetwater that go to Highland, which is a different ISD altogether. I had heard that one or some go to Wylie, and wanted to confirm the rumor.

garciap77
09-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Nowadays with Open Enrollment, living in the same school district doesn't matter if the school you are transfering to will accept you. I know for a fact there are kids who live in Sweetwater that go to Highland, which is a different ISD altogether. I had heard that one or some go to Wylie, and wanted to confirm the rumor.

I know a few years back we had over 300 Wylie kids attending Abilene ISD. I will ask about SW kids attending Wylie.

ccmom
09-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Does anyone from Sweetwater or Brownwood have any thoughts about the football game being played tomorrow night???

garciap77
09-27-2012, 01:08 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/viannen_37_zpsbd6ce637.gif

ccmom
09-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Not all districts have open enrollment. WISD does not.

BwdLion73
09-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Does anyone from Sweetwater or Brownwood have any thoughts about the football game being played tomorrow night???

...we will destroy them..we have too many weapons...they have no idea what is coming...

hollywood
09-27-2012, 01:31 PM
...we will destroy them..we have too many weapons...they have no idea what is coming...

Rocket... is that you?? Did you hack into 73's account??

garciap77
09-27-2012, 01:31 PM

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13049/popcorn.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Phantom Stang
09-27-2012, 01:33 PM

The Mustangs are gonna open the "Fridge", and pull out a can of Whip A$$.

garciap77
09-27-2012, 01:37 PM

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13622/GoRilla11bsm.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

95mustang
09-27-2012, 01:40 PM

Then promplty hide it so the Lions won't use it on them. :taunt:

hollywood
09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Then promplty hide it so the Lions won't use it on them. :taunt:

Loins anyone?

mustang84
09-27-2012, 02:59 PM

This will be a big test for the mustangs to see where we stand heading into district play. Our offensive line is much better this year and can control the line of scrimmage. We will be able to score and move the ball down the field. On the defensive side of the ball players have been moving around alot due to injuries to some of our linebackers. One starting linebacker is out for the year with major knee injury and another is out due to major concussion. The new kids will step up and play better this week and make the defensive unit better this week. This game will be much better game then most people think. The mustangs are going to come out and play hard . This team is a much better team then we have had the last 3 years.
GO MUSTANGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom Stang
09-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Mustangs, Lions battle again with less at stake
September 27, 2012

By
Ron Howell
sweetwatersports1@yahoo.com

It’s been only 11 months, but plenty has changed since Sweetwater and Brownwood last met on the football field this past October.
Thanks to UIL realignment in February, the former District 5-3A rivals are in separate districts. Sweet-water is in 4-3A along with five other schools from West Texas, while Brownwood has been moved into 8-3A with five other schools that are all in Central Texas.
The other big change is that Sweetwater has a new head coach. Shane Mobley has taken over for Craig Slaughter, whose last game here just happened to be a 27-14 loss to Brownwoood last October which ended Sweetwater’s season.
The Mustangs were in a must-win situation when they faced the Lions back then, needing a victory in order to have a shot at making the postseason. That won’t be the case on Friday since the teams will be playing a non-district game.
However, it’s still an important game for both Sweetwater — which is 2-2 after dropping a 43-20 deci-sion at Wall last week — and Brownwood, which is 1-3 after losing 38-14 to another former district rival, Abilene Wylie, this past Friday.
The teams are seeking a win they can use as a springboard for the start of district play in two weeks. The Mustangs and Lions have open dates next week.
Mobley has faced Brownwood before, as an assistant to Kent Jackson — the last time in 2007 when Sweetwater lost 55-7 in what was Mobley’s final season here before returning in April.
That year was also the last time untl now that the Mustangs and Lions met in non-district, as they were in the same district for the past four years.
This year’s Sweetwater- Brownwood matchup pits two teams that are still try-ing to find their identity af-ter up-and-down starts.
After nearly starting 3-0, Sweetwater suffered a hum-bling loss at Wall. Brown-wood, meanwhile, has three losses by over 20 points but also a 49-14 thumping of Snyder in Week 2.
“The big thing we need this week is execution, both offensively and defensively, and intensity,” said Mobley. “We need to play hard. That’s huge. We need to do that all four quarters.”
However, Mobley said that having four starters out with injuries won’t make his team’s job easy. Linebackers Ty Davis and Alex Garcia and offensive linemen J.D. Davis and Chase Saunders will all be unavailable to play this Friday, and Garcia is out for the season.
Still, this may be the most competitive game the teams have played since Sweetwater’s last win in the series in 2008. Brownwood has won the last three meetings by an average score of 44-7 and two years ago was No. 1-ranked in the state when it faced Sweetwater. This year’s team has nowhere near that much firepower, though it showed flashes of it against Snyder.
Sweetwater has been able to move the ball as it aver-ages 396 yards a game, but those yards have not always translated into points on the scoreboard.

A win over Brownwood would put Sweetwater over .500 starting district for the first time since it was 4-2 in 2010, only to go winless in district play.
Mobley wants to see his team fired up Friday. “This week in practice has been intense. We’re going fast and furious. We won’t accept mediocrity,” he said.

http://sweetwaterreporter.com/content/mustangs-lions-battle-again-less-stake

BwdLion73
09-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Well the National Weather Service is predicting 80% chance of heavy rain Friday night for Brownwood. Hate that since it is Bwd. homecoming but we just can't pass up the rain. I say let the kids play a non-district game in a deluge...they will have a blast.

Sweetwater Red
09-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Freshmen score

Sweetwater 16
Brownwood 6

Final

garciap77
09-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Freshmen score

Sweetwater 16
Brownwood 6

Final

Looks like SW has something coming down the road! Dallas Houston said on his radio show Friday BW had someting coming down the road also. Congrats to the Freshmen team.

Sweetwater Red
09-27-2012, 08:34 PM
JV score

Sweetwater 38
Brownwood 13

Final

garciap77
09-27-2012, 08:40 PM
JV score

Sweetwater 38
Brownwood 13

Final

Big Red is on a roll!!! http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j173/ccrbumblebee/Smileys/RockerSmiley.gif

LionFan72
09-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Big Red fixin to get rolled. Lions 41-7.

Inmateboss
09-28-2012, 09:54 AM
The loins in a tight one!!!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

mustang84
09-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Mustangs win by 3.