PDA

View Full Version : Question for you referees.

MUSTANG69
09-23-2012, 09:01 PM
This happened in the Ingleside-Beeville game. Ingleside kicked off to start the game. Beeville fumbled on the runback and Ingleside recovered. Ingleside's offense and Beeville's defense came on to field. The referees then had a pow wow and decided to start the game over. The clock was set back to 12 minutes and Ingleside had to kick again. I have seen calls changed but I have never seen a game started over. Do any of you referees have an explanation?

Blastoderm55
09-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Offsides/illegal formation on Ingleside? Illegal formation would explain the reset to 12 minutes on the game clock. I got to the game late so I didn't see what happened.

Yoe_09
09-23-2012, 09:32 PM
This is simple. They felt they deserved another chance.

ccmom
09-23-2012, 09:55 PM
That's what I was thinking. I believe the official name is a "do over". :)

COBRAFOOTBALL
09-24-2012, 04:16 AM
MUlligan.

GrTigers6
09-24-2012, 06:29 AM
Could have been an inadvertent whistle. That would require a rekick. Or maybe they started without the make ready whistle being blown to begin with.

MUSTANG69
09-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Offsides/illegal formation on Ingleside? Illegal formation would explain the reset to 12 minutes on the game clock. I got to the game late so I didn't see what happened.

I didn't see a flag thrown and I didn't see the refs signal any kind of penalty.

MUSTANG69
09-24-2012, 07:36 AM

That was my first thought. I'm sure there is a logical answer but I don't know what it is.

cboycansurvive
09-24-2012, 07:36 AM
I didn't see a flag thrown and I didn't see the refs signal any kind of penalty.

I asked the coaches that questin Friday night and they told me it was an inadvertent whistle. The ref blew the whistle while the ball was on the ground.

MUSTANG69
09-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Could have been an inadvertent whistle. That would require a rekick. Or maybe they started without the make ready whistle being blown to begin with. I would think that if the make ready whistle had not blown they would have stopped the play and not wait until the teams were on the field getting ready to continue playing.

Inadvertent whistle makes more sense.

MUSTANG69
09-24-2012, 07:39 AM
I asked the coaches that questin Friday night and they told me it was an inadvertent whistle. The ref blew the whistle while the ball was on the ground.

Thanks. That makes sense.

GrTigers6
09-24-2012, 11:50 AM
I would think that if the make ready whistle had not blown they would have stopped the play and not wait until the teams were on the field getting ready to continue playing.

Inadvertent whistle makes more sense.Well me too, but you never know about some officials for whatever reason being late or not realizing that it was never blown.

refereedoc
09-24-2012, 11:53 AM
If it was an inadvertent whistle, you do not reset the clock.

MUSTANG69
09-24-2012, 12:13 PM
If it was an inadvertent whistle, you do not reset the clock.

Well, I guess they just felt sorry for Beeville. Oh well, it doesn't matter now because the game has been played.

GrTigers6
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
If it was an inadvertent whistle, you do not reset the clock.If the ball had not touched a reciever( before the inadvertant whistle) than the clock would never have started. Just a thought

MUSTANG69
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
If the ball had not touched a reciever( before the inadvertant whistle) than the clock would never have started. Just a thought

The ref would have had to blow the whistle while the ball was in the air. The receiver tried to catch the ball before it hit the ground. He fumbled the catch, picked it up and then fumbled again.??????? Just don't know.

TexMike
09-24-2012, 10:17 PM
If the refs judged the inadvert whistle was before the receiver's ever touched the ball, then the clock would not go back to 12:00. Otherwise, whatever time ran off before the whistle has to stay off. If they determine the ball was kicked before it was even made ready then there should be a flag. However, there may have been something else going on that explained why it was kicked early so they decided to just reset everything. The inadvert whistle makes sense for everything except the clock going back to 12:00