PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood people.....I need some advice!

Ranger Mom
09-22-2012, 10:53 AM
I will be going to Brownwood for the weekend for my brother's wedding on October 6th. Where is a good place to stay?

Also, it will be me, my daughter, my sister-in-law and my 5 y/o granddaughter. What is there to do there that would entertain an extremely active 5 y/o during the day Saturday?

"Things to do in Brownwood" on Google doesn't bring up much!

Thanks!!

Bosqueville
09-22-2012, 12:44 PM
I will be going to Brownwood for the weekend for my brother's wedding on October 6th. Where is a good place to stay?

Also, it will be me, my daughter, my sister-in-law and my 5 y/o granddaughter. What is there to do there that would entertain an extremely active 5 y/o during the day Saturday?

"Things to do in Brownwood" on Google doesn't bring up much!

Thanks!!

The best hotels are the Hampton Inn, La Quinta, Holiday Inn Express. I would say the HI Express is the best (next to Underwood's). As far as things to do your limited. Hollywood 8 theaters is there at the mall. There's a really cool park-- Coggin Park. Lots of things to do there with tons of trees. There's also bowling.

hollywood
09-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Heard the mall is still open in Early.

Another option.. You can take a tour of Gordan Wood stadium.

95mustang
09-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Hotels listed above. As for things to do there is not much going on this time of year, but October 6th would be the first Saturday of the month which is usually family day at the Lehnis Railroad Museum.

Matthew328
09-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Dr Pepper (or whatever its called now) museum up the road in Dublin is cool.....LaQuinta is nice...stayed there a couple of times

BwdLion73
09-23-2012, 11:55 AM
RM: I would take the 5 year old to the Lehnis Railroad Museum. Should be able to google it under that name. Lots of things for adults to look at and on Saturdays they have a small scale train for kids to ride that is supposed to be cool. I think it is 3 bucks for adults and cheaper for kids.

Riverside park....not far from Hampton, La quinta or Holiday Inn Express. has some new playground stuff and the Pecan Bayou goes by it. Take some bread there are lots of ducks and geese for the kids to feed.

Gordon Wood High School Football Museum is across the street from the train museum I think you call
for someone to open it up. Again just google the name and it should give you a number and whats in it. Its more than just some pictures and such. Interactive Videos and lots of stuff. Must see for High School Football Fans.

Hope that helps some.

jason
09-23-2012, 11:57 AM
a tour of gordon wood stadium? really?
its a worn down high school stadium with new turf....

BwdLion73
09-23-2012, 12:13 PM
At least we have a stadium. :tisk:

vtskneb
09-23-2012, 12:45 PM

I have a feeling that comment doesn't resonate with him at all. That pipe dream will never happen unless Tarleton kicks us out. We have too many other facility deficiencies for that to ever happen.

Matthew328
09-23-2012, 01:43 PM
RM: I would take the 5 year old to the Lehnis Railroad Museum. Should be able to google it under that name. Lots of things for adults to look at and on Saturdays they have a small scale train for kids to ride that is supposed to be cool. I think it is 3 bucks for adults and cheaper for kids.

Riverside park....not far from Hampton, La quinta or Holiday Inn Express. has some new playground stuff and the Pecan Bayou goes by it. Take some bread there are lots of ducks and geese for the kids to feed.

Gordon Wood High School Football Museum is across the street from the train museum I think you call
for someone to open it up. Again just google the name and it should give you a number and whats in it. Its more than just some pictures and such. Interactive Videos and lots of stuff. Must see for High School Football Fans.

Hope that helps some.

the HS football museum sounds cool...how long has it been around?

BwdLion73
09-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Its been there several years but they are working to enlarge and improve. Coach
Wood donated his personal memorabilia. It has several videos with Wood, Grant Teaff, Spike Dykes, and Bum Phillips. Of course it has all the Brownwood information but really gives you a history lesson on High School Football when it was just getting on the map.

Bosqueville
09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I have a feeling that comment doesn't resonate with him at all. That pipe dream will never happen unless Tarleton kicks us out. We have too many other facility deficiencies for that to ever happen.

Has Stephenville ever had a bond vote for improvements?? Including a new stadium?

Looking4number8
09-23-2012, 09:41 PM

:vrycnfsd:

jason
09-24-2012, 08:10 AM
Has Stephenville ever had a bond vote for improvements?? Including a new stadium?

for as cheap as they get to use Tarleton Memorial, and the fact that a really big bond for lower level school renovations just passed, there won't be a new stadium in the next 10 (at least) years unless Tarleton builds a new one...

Ranger Mom
09-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Oh well......we are staying in Abilene and just driving to Brownwood Saturday for the wedding. Now in addition to the people I am bringing, I am getting to lug along an overweight Chihuahua/Pomeranian dog 2 days after having surgery on her broke leg. Now we get to find kid friendly AND pet friendly things to do in Abilene. I'm afraid we may be hanging out at the motel most of the day!!!

Any of you Brownwood people know a lady named Jodie Hunter (Hrubretz) Armstrong? I think she organizes a bunch of concerts/musical stuff in Brownwood. I know she was big into the Brownwood reunion thing. Anyway...I have never met her, but that is who my brother is marrying. (Or is actually already married to, but they are having their formal wedding on October 6th.) I think she also owns some kind of music store there too!

garciap77
09-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Oh well......we are staying in Abilene and just driving to Brownwood Saturday for the wedding. Now in addition to the people I am bringing, I am getting to lug along an overweight Chihuahua/Pomeranian dog 2 days after having surgery on her broke leg. Now we get to find kid friendly AND pet friendly things to do in Abilene. I'm afraid we may be hanging out at the motel most of the day!!!

Any of you Brownwood people know a lady named Jodie Hunter (Hrubretz) Armstrong? I think she organizes a bunch of concerts/musical stuff in Brownwood. I know she was big into the Brownwood reunion thing. Anyway...I have never met her, but that is who my brother is marrying. (Or is actually already married to, but they are having their formal wedding on October 6th.) I think she also owns some kind of music store there too!

I just show her on TV news KTXS 9 (Jodie Amstrong). Did not catch what it was all about, but they were interviewing her in Brownwood!