PDA

View Full Version : La Grange @ Canyon

Pudlugger
09-22-2012, 09:25 AM
The Leps are hot now with a 3 game win streak. They have only allowed 7 points since their schooling by Marble Falls in how to defend the pass play. Can they extend their record to 4-1 going into District? I think so. Leps by 14.

buff4ever
09-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Leps win this one too, who do you guys start district with anyway? Just curious.

Pudlugger
09-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Leps win this one too, who do you guys start district with anyway? Just curious.

Gonzales(after bye week)@ home then Smithville @ home then Giddings in your house then Yoakum @ home followed by Cuero away.

YTBulldogs
09-22-2012, 12:05 PM
This should be a good measuring stick. On the road, descent opponent.

Leps in a close one, 31-28.

Dawgfan64
09-22-2012, 02:11 PM
If Canyon had a stronger pass game then I'd say it's close...they seems too one dimensional for my taste...LaGrange 31-14

Pudlugger
09-24-2012, 07:31 AM
If Canyon had a stronger pass game then I'd say it's close...they seems too one dimensional for my taste...LaGrange 31-14

The Leps have defensed the run very well. Their pass defense has improved since game 1 in Marble Falls, although one can argue that they have not faced a qb and wr of that caliber since(and probably never again this season). What is the big story this year for La Grange is the performance of the junior running back #3 Rodney Filmore. A case can be made that he could become the best running back for the Leps since 1996 Lawrence Dobbs. For those of you who have been following 3a Football for some time the Leps had the duo of Dobbs and Tye Gunn(a freshman) running the offense that year and gave Sealy their only defeat in 5 years. The eventually lost to Sealy in the State Semi-Final in the Astro Dome 28-14. Dobbs was a huge threat whenever he touched the football. Hopefully #3 will continue to show promise and anchor the Lep running game this season.

clhsdad
09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
They can throw the ball just ask Burnet, not sure why we have not thrown the ball more in previous games But if our running game is shut down we are more than capable of passing. I really think we are better than a 1-3 team but have yet to prove it. This will be a tough game and now is the time for us to step it up.

Pudlugger
09-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I agree Canyon is better than their record indicates. They have been in every game against some decent teams. No team has blown them out or dominated. The Leps will need to bring their best game to win this on the road.

Pudlugger
09-25-2012, 05:28 PM
We should start seeing some of our injured players appearing in uniform this week. The Leps have good depth and players have stepped up to fill the gaps. If they continue on their current trajectory the Leps will be well tuned in time for district.

hookandladder
09-25-2012, 06:06 PM
We should start seeing some of our injured players appearing in uniform this week. The Leps have good depth and players have stepped up to fill the gaps. If they continue on their current trajectory the Leps will be well tuned in time for district.

Our starting Senior center is back, also we moved up another strong RB off JV. Look for him to add another powerful RB in the backfield , he runs just like the Filmore kid. Will be fun to watch them two in the same backfield then you add in the Hutchinson to take it to the house on any play. Look for a strong running game Friday night from the Leps but if we have to pass I think we are OK there also.

Tejastrue
09-25-2012, 07:56 PM
They can throw the ball just ask Burnet, not sure why we have not thrown the ball more in previous games But if our running game is shut down we are more than capable of passing. I really think we are better than a 1-3 team but have yet to prove it. This will be a tough game and now is the time for us to step it up.

Yes indeed. I'd say 300 yards against Burnet would be a successful passing game.

YTBulldogs
09-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Our starting Senior center is back, also we moved up another strong RB off JV. Look for him to add another powerful RB in the backfield , he runs just like the Filmore kid. Will be fun to watch them two in the same backfield then you add in the Hutchinson to take it to the house on any play. Look for a strong running game Friday night from the Leps but if we have to pass I think we are OK there also.

Man H&L, I'm not sure with all that talent you have and now added, ya'll can be stopped. Congrats. Wanna share a few of those to us. Maybe this game will not be as close as I predicted earlier? 60-14 might be more like it, or it should be the way it sounds.

I'll go now and say ya'll, Giddings and Gonzales are the creme of the crop heading into district. We got to step up our game to contend. We need no more injury's. Please.

DocHoliday
09-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Burnet put up over 450 yards of offense against Canyon Lake, 260 passing and 190 or so rushing. There was not much defense played. If LaGrange has a good defense then they will win the game.

Pudlugger
09-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Burnet put up over 450 yards of offense against Canyon Lake, 260 passing and 190 or so rushing. There was not much defense played. If LaGrange has a good defense then they will win the game.

The Lep defense is strong. They did give up 56 points to the Marble falls passing Juggernaut but since then they have made several adjustments especially in the secondary and have given up only 7 points total in the next 3 games(a muffed punt giving Columbus the ball on the 15 for their only score). Granted they have not faced offenses like MF but the trend is positive nonetheless. I look forward to a great game Friday and am confident the Leps can bring home a win.

hookandladder
09-26-2012, 06:01 AM

With the return of our center who missed two games now back and bring up another RB who will play mainly at FB, we will not have any player starting both ways. Sure some will see playing time on both sides of the ball however with no one going both ways you sure can tell the difference on the sideline in the 4th quarter, everyone is rested and ready to go. Looking forward to playing Canyon Lake at their house, we need to prove we can go on a long road trip and win against a talented team.

Pudlugger
09-26-2012, 08:07 AM
With the return of our center who missed two games now back and bring up another RB who will play mainly at FB, we will not have any player starting both ways. Sure some will see playing time on both sides of the ball however with no one going both ways you sure can tell the difference on the sideline in the 4th quarter, everyone is rested and ready to go. Looking forward to playing Canyon Lake at their house, we need to prove we can go on a long road trip and win against a talented team.

It is good news that the Leps will be healthy and will be playing with two squads. It is a tribute to the coaching staff that the Lep turnout for football has steadily gone up to the point that we can have separate squads on offense and defense. In the 18 years I have been following the Leps this is a first. I am looking forward to Friday to watch the Leps pound away on the running game.

Bassact
09-26-2012, 08:46 AM
LG roll by 21 or more. Lep D is just good enough and thier offense is very good. Just from what i saw out of Rockdale that beat Burnet - No way this is close if Burnet beat CL.

BLEEDZGREEN
09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
LG roll by 21 or more. Lep D is just good enough and thier offense is very good. Just from what i saw out of Rockdale that beat Burnet - No way this is close if Burnet beat CL.

Agreed, Burnet hasn't been able to stop anyone through the air.

Pudlugger
09-26-2012, 10:07 PM
The Lep pass defense was their weakness going into the season opener but they have made some adjustments and now seem to be much improved.
The defense is solid against the run and the front four put plenty of pressure on the passer. I like our chances going into this game.

zebrablue2
09-26-2012, 10:12 PM
It is good news that the Leps will be healthy and will be playing with two squads. It is a tribute to the coaching staff that the Lep turnout for football has steadily gone up to the point that we can have separate squads on offense and defense. In the 18 years I have been following the Leps this is a first. I am looking forward to Friday to watch the Leps pound away on the running game.

Starts at the top! Go Leps!!!

hookandladder
09-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Starts at the top! Go Leps!!!

You are correct and it takes 100% committment from all players, our HC now has that and his program is in place. With this talented Junior group and some strong lower level talent Coach K has a number of good years coming, this Senior group just needs to get us back to the playoffs. The first two games of District will tell the tell, first Canyon Lake.

Pudlugger
09-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Yes Hook it is crunch time. The Leps need to play with intensity tomorrow night to get momentum going into district play. Game 1 in district will be against a very tough Gonzales team which will be favored to win. Then they host Smithville followed by Giddings away. By then we should know how good this team is and whether or not they will be playing football after November 9th. Go Leps!

Pudlugger
09-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Hook will yall be tailgating tonight? If so we'll leave a little earlier this time LOL.

YTBulldogs
09-28-2012, 09:42 AM
GZ @ LG This should be one of the best games in the state. Great opener.

Papá Oso
09-28-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm thinking its going to be closer than most folks have said, LG will probably win but not by much. I'll say LG 28-22.

PO

hookandladder
09-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Hook will yall be tailgating tonight? If so we'll leave a little earlier this time LOL.

Yes, we will be Tailgating at the Motorhome starting around 5:30 to 7:00. Come get you a Chop Beef sandwich with plenty of derserts, more the marry.

Pudlugger
09-28-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm thinking its going to be closer than most folks have said, LG will probably win but not by much. I'll say LG 28-22.

PO

Canyon's defense is giving up 32 points/game. The Lep D averages 16 with two shutouts. The Canyon offense averages 26/game while the Lep offense averages 44/game. I don't think Canyon can hold our offense to 28 points. LG 35 Canyon 21 would be my prediction.

Tejastrue
09-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Canyon Lake perspective/preview of game ..

http://hilltopnewspaper.com/2012/09/pregame-la-grange-3-1-canyon-lake-1-3/#more-3828

sabre1
09-28-2012, 02:29 PM
The Leps are hot now with a 3 game win streak. They have only allowed 7 points since their schooling by Marble Falls in how to defend the pass play. Can they extend their record to 4-1 going into District? I think so. Leps by 14.

Granted the Leps are on a three game win streak, Pud, but you got to look at who they played. Not abunch of powerhouses.

sabre1
09-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Canyon's defense is giving up 32 points/game. The Lep D averages 16 with two shutouts. The Canyon offense averages 26/game while the Lep offense averages 44/game. I don't think Canyon can hold our offense to 28 points. LG 35 Canyon 21 would be my prediction.

Great stats: Here's a few more
Columbus 1-3
Brookshire 0-4 or
Needville 0-4

Nuff said

Pudlugger
09-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Looks like we'll have some rain tonight at Canyon Lake. Good thing the Leps like to run the football. This might be a low scoring game after all.

YTBulldogs
09-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah, TO's might be key at several wet sites Pud. Good luck buddy. Some area's might get some heavy down pours. Nothing stated about lightning though.

txsportswriter
09-28-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm taking the Leps in this one, 31-20. May be a lower scoring affair if the rain's coming down.

Pudlugger
09-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Great stats: Here's a few more
Columbus 1-3
Brookshire 0-4 or
Needville 0-4

Nuff said

La Grange 34
Canyon 9 Final

nuff said

hookandladder
09-29-2012, 12:53 AM

PO

Canyon Lake had two first downs against our first team D and our offense scored every time we touched the ball, what did you see from CL that would make you think this would be a close game.

zebrablue2
09-29-2012, 08:06 AM
La Grange 34
Canyon 9 Final

nuff said

Congrats to the Leps!!!:2thumbsup

Pudlugger
09-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Congrats to the Leps!!!:2thumbsup

Thanks zebra, the Leps really looked good last night. Coach took his foot off the accelerator midway into the 3rd quarter and let the bench play the remainder of the game. Our defense had their best night holding the Hawks to only 2 first down up to that point in the game. Our offense made very few mistakes and everyone appeared to be on the same page with their blocking assignments. The running game was robust with Filmore pounding out 5-10 yards per carry and Hutchison breaking away around the corners with his great speed. The Leps are going to give some teams in D26 real fits. Go Leps!