PDA

View Full Version : Done with football.............................

trojan37
09-19-2012, 09:17 PM
At least in West. Our coach of 10 years resigned last year and a new coach from a 2A down the road was brought in. West lost a big group of Seniors from the previous year so I was not surprised when they went 0-10 last year. The problem I have is with kids these days not understanding that sometimes you have to lose in order to win, you have to take your lumps. Just because they finished 0-10 last year, at least 8 returning players quit and from what I am hearing it's because they don't like the coaches. West hasn't been able to even field a freshman team in 2 years and had only 65 players come out at the start of two-a-days for football period. West has officially become a one horse town, with that horse being baseball, and with the new district they are in they might even be able to compete in that. Nothing here works anymore, and the kids are the most unmotivated group I have ever seen in my life. My favorite sport is doomed in my home town. I guess I'll have to start showing support for La Vega, or even CHINA SPRING!!:ack!:

regaleagle
09-19-2012, 09:40 PM
First of all, it's not unusual for upcoming Srs. to get disgruntled after an 0-10 season and a change in coaching staffs. They have nothing to look forward to. Also, it will take some time for the new staff to rebuild interest from the ground at the Jr. High level first, then High School, and finally grade school before the program has continuity. Right now, the immediate need is to garner local support for the players that want to play, and try to build an atmosphere of healthy competition with a lesser competitive schedule so the boyz can experience some wins. This, in turn, will have positive results for the community and the younger players coming up. You have to crawl before you walk, and walk before you can run with the program you put in place. JMO, but this seems to be a good way to re-establish the connections your community and school need. The key is community support of the players that play. Treat them well.

YTBulldogs
09-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Said to hear.

COBRAFOOTBALL
09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
At least in West. Our coach of 10 years resigned last year and a new coach from a 2A down the road was brought in. West lost a big group of Seniors from the previous year so I was not surprised when they went 0-10 last year. The problem I have is with kids these days not understanding that sometimes you have to lose in order to win, you have to take your lumps. Just because they finished 0-10 last year, at least 8 returning players quit and from what I am hearing it's because they don't like the coaches. West hasn't been able to even field a freshman team in 2 years and had only 65 players come out at the start of two-a-days for football period. West has officially become a one horse town, with that horse being baseball, and with the new district they are in they might even be able to compete in that. Nothing here works anymore, and the kids are the most unmotivated group I have ever seen in my life. My favorite sport is doomed in my home town. I guess I'll have to start showing support for La Vega, or even CHINA SPRING!!:ack!:I will share Alvarado with you. And I love West.

Inmateboss
09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
First of all, it's not unusual for upcoming Srs. to get disgruntled after an 0-10 season and a change in coaching staffs. They have nothing to look forward to. Also, it will take some time for the new staff to rebuild interest from the ground at the Jr. High level first, then High School, and finally grade school before the program has continuity. Right now, the immediate need is to garner local support for the players that want to play, and try to build an atmosphere of healthy competition with a lesser competitive schedule so the boyz can experience some wins. This, in turn, will have positive results for the community and the younger players coming up. You have to crawl before you walk, and walk before you can run with the program you put in place. JMO, but this seems to be a good way to re-establish the connections your community and school need. The key is community support of the players that play. Treat them well.

Exactly!!!! Make it a place they want to be!! Go that extra mile get the moms and some girls from school to make road bags ( snacks, fruit,something to drink) that get other people pumped up to be part of the program, hold team dinners, we do it just make sure you follow UIL rules for those but they are great!!! Our guys have a campfire where they meet and talk between themselves about the next game or anything they want to, it's basically just for bonding/ spirit/ team building and they all look forward to it!! If its not fun there will be no desire to bust their humps!!! There is not one day we don't have 5-10 dads at practice and during two a days we have coffee on the 50, the booster club provides coffee and cookies for dads (and moms) if they want to come in the morning and the kids know they have support from the get go!!! Being involved in everything the team does is paramount to healthy player attitudes !!!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5

vtskneb
09-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Sorry to hear that. What a blessing our program has been since coach Briles took over. We had only one coach not in his tree take over since 1988 and he even averaged 10 wins per year (and is the highest paid OC in the NCAA). When coach G retires, if he is health and wishes to coach as long as one of his assistants, we will be with bascially the same coaching tree for nearly 40 years. That has to be unique to the country much less Texas. It will be extremely strange to think who might lead the program after that. I would imagine Gilliespie would have himself a pretty long coaching tree if he chose to coach that long. Not trying to rub salt in the wound, it just got me thinking how lucky our community has been with some great coaching. Although it did it's fair share of being kicked around for the 60 years preceding this run with 24 playoff apperances in 25 years.

rholl
09-19-2012, 11:39 PM
West is a neat little town, times will get better!! I believe the schoolboard making the right choice for a coach is the key. Alvarado has had an amazing few years that have been strung together. Its always easy when you are winning though cause everyone loves to win. Its alot tougher to dig deep and continue to support when times are tough!!!

bulldog82
09-20-2012, 12:58 AM
At least in West. Our coach of 10 years resigned last year and a new coach from a 2A down the road was brought in. West lost a big group of Seniors from the previous year so I was not surprised when they went 0-10 last year. The problem I have is with kids these days not understanding that sometimes you have to lose in order to win, you have to take your lumps. Just because they finished 0-10 last year, at least 8 returning players quit and from what I am hearing it's because they don't like the coaches. West hasn't been able to even field a freshman team in 2 years and had only 65 players come out at the start of two-a-days for football period. West has officially become a one horse town, with that horse being baseball, and with the new district they are in they might even be able to compete in that. Nothing here works anymore, and the kids are the most unmotivated group I have ever seen in my life. My favorite sport is doomed in my home town. I guess I'll have to start showing support for La Vega, or even CHINA SPRING!!:ack!:

Sounds like what's going here in bandera. Allthough I don't think it's a matter of not liking coaches. More like coaches and kids trying to figure out what works. And at this point, nothing woks. but they still fight hard.

LHPfactory
09-20-2012, 07:33 AM
It takes a combination of: THE RIGHT COACH(and his staff) + COMMUNITY BUY IN + 100% DEDICATION FROM PLAYERS = SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM.

Of course the talent level will cycle from group to group through out the seasons, However in an environment like the one listed above, even in a down year, there is that push, drive, to get back on top.

Hopefully West will be able to put it together..... I believe the formula above is a big part what has made LH such a great program.

Bullaholic
09-20-2012, 09:38 AM
I hope everyone doesn't grow tired of my telling the Bridgeports Bulls Cinderella story, but it sure is appropriate for the West situation.

The Bulls were perennial doormats for years prior to the 93' season. That is when our school board had the wisdom to hire Danny Henson, who was the FM Marcus offensive co-ordinator.

Though Coach Henson's innovations of implementing the spread and platooning on offense and defense---that same 0-10 92' team went 13-2 in 93'. The boys were on fire, and the town was on fire, and it was a marvel to watch and really fun to be a Bulls fan again. Since that time the Bulls have never looked back and have made the playoffs nearly every season.

Trojan---it can be done--big hills to overcome, but if the parents, coaches and other adults are willing to communicate and work with each other and present a solid front of support to the players---they will respond by buying in, and it will bring tears to your eyes to look into these boys faces after they begin to win. Talk to the coaches about the team problems and what they want and expect from the players, and tell them what you and the other fans and parents are going to try to do, tell your fellow parents and fans, and rally your town behind these kids---try to instill a fighting spirit and pride in these players before you completely give up on them, no matter how reluctant they are to listen---btw, I am not trying to criticize you for your feelings at all---but give it a try first---it can be more than worth the effort.

kaorder1999
09-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Coach Gillispie is a great man and great coach. I hope the kids begin to buy in to his system. Hes great for athletics and education in general...

Inmateboss
09-20-2012, 10:27 AM
I hope everyone doesn't grow tired of my telling the Bridgeports Bulls Cinderella story, but it sure is appropriate for the West situation.

The Bulls were perennial doormats for years prior to the 93' season. That is when our school board had the wisdom to hire Danny Henson, who was the FM Marcus offensive co-ordinator.

Though Coach Henson's innovations of implementing the spread and platooning on offense and defense---that same 0-10 92' team went 13-2 in 93'. The boys were on fire, and the town was on fire, and it was a marvel to watch and really fun to be a Bulls fan again. Since that time the Bulls have never looked back and have made the playoffs nearly every season.

Trojan---it can be done--big hills to overcome, but if the parents, coaches and other adults are willing to communicate and work with each other and present a solid front of support to the players---they will respond by buying in, and it will bring tears to your eyes to look into these boys faces after they begin to win. Talk to the coaches about the team problems and what they want and expect from the players, and tell them what you and the other fans and parents are going to try to do, tell your fellow parents and fans, and rally your town behind these kids---try to instill a fighting spirit and pride in these players before you completely give up on them, no matter how reluctant they are to listen---btw, I am not trying to criticize you for your feelings at all---but give it a try first---it can be more than worth the effort.

Been there done that!!! Hardest thing in the world is to be a kid and have somebody tell you good job when his team just lost!! I know because that's what my son told me. He said dad, why do y'all say that when we lost? We didn't play good, why say good job?? I told him, if I came up and said y'all sucked big time what would be your motivation to play again??? None, but if I tell you good job, you will keep trying to prove yourself to everyone that says "good job"!! The wins will only come if you play the game, playing the game takes the whole town. If the team is just playing for the team what's the point!! That's why every year I tell our team win or lose, " thanks for sacrificing your body for our enjoyment", because it is a sacrifice on their part and they have to know it doesn't go unnoticed !!!! Expect to win, play to win, and I mean it!!!

Expect to win, Play to win!!! Go Graham Steers
Go # 5