PDA

View Full Version : Shootin' From the Hip....(Random Sports Opinions)

Bullaholic
09-19-2012, 10:38 AM
All pro athlete pay should be based on how many games are won, with perks for winning a SB or WS--period---no exceptions.

Pro sports governing organizations are influenced too much by the owners and their financial interests which causes a diluted product to be delivered to the fans. Conversely, player's unions have greatly muddied the waters with free agency and the Baseball player's union is far too strong.

Something badly needs to be done about under-the-table college player compensation---mainly by the big schools. Absolute, severe, zero-tolerance penalties for violation of universal, set, compensation limits may be the only answer.

21st century technology should be able to design headgear which reduces head trauma to non-concussion levels under any conditions. Shock-level monitors should be in every helmet to indicate the severity of the impact, and areas of the brain most affected by the impact. These sensors would be plugged in to a laptop when the athlete sustaining the impact comes off the field on the sideline for physician review. That would cut down on the "guessing" game, and drop the liability risk way down.

Knee braces should be mandatory for every player in pre-season games and scrimmages.

Adopt a NCAA tourney style team seeding system for the highschool playoffs. No more "the good teams knocked each other off" arguments.

Reduce the pro PI penalty to 15yds from scrimmage instead of continuing the current "death sentence" penalty for PI.

Give NFL coaches a wireless device with a button under a cover flap to audibily signal officials on their belts when they want to challenge a play. The challenge flag could still be used as a backup.

The NFL replacement officials need to take charge on the field. The players and coaches are both trying to push the limits because they think it may result in an advantageous ruling on the field. These officials need to separate the players in a melee immediately to the sidelines, and warn both coaches that ejections will be imminent on any future violations. Plus, they need to counsel overly vociferous coaches that they will get a 15yd penalty if they persist with their cases---and throw the flag if they do.

Remove the illegal defense penalty in the NBA.

Remove the illegal formation penalty in the NFL.

Limit the no. of pitcher changes to 4 in MLB. Limit pitcher warm-up pitches to (2) on the mound---that is what the bullpen is for. Too much time is wasted during the games with pitcher change/strategy antics.

Allow time-limited post-TD celebrations in the NFL, provided they conform to generally recognized public decency standards, and do not taunt the other team.

Now, if you can't find something to post about in this thread---shame on you!

garciap77
09-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I like it!

All contracts should be for 4yrs and you cannot break them to go to another teams. One thing I hate about PRO football is the moving of players every other year and sometimes every year.

Slick50
09-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Knee braces should be mandatory for every player in pre-season games and scrimmages.

Hehe good one

Old Timer
09-19-2012, 01:04 PM
I love it, but I think that pro pay should be controlled even further.

NFL - Base salary for ALL NFL athletes. Let's say that base pay is $100,000 (Obviously, fluctuations would be needed to make up for cost of living between the teams). This is more than enough to cover the basic necessities of the athletes. Any pay above and beyond this initial $100,000 will be based upon performance above and beyond WHAT IS EXPECTED both on AND off the field. Each position will be rewarded in a monetary sense for each achievement attained. This could include a bonus for each broken tackle, pancake block, 70% or better pass completion, no dropped passes, sacks, TFLs, solo tackles, interceptions, etc. There could be offensive bonuses for wins, sustained drives w/ score at the end, no turnovers, etc. There could be defensive bonuses for yardage allowed, red-zone efficiency, holding the opponent under a certain score, etc. Personal bonuses could be awarded to athletes who attend public functions and participate, stay away from drugs/alcohol, maintain the team's rules, lead by example, etc.

Overall, I think that if something such as what I've outlined existed, the NFL would be a better league and would probably provide better life lessons for our young ones to observe.