PDA

View Full Version : Reliant Stadium in the Mix for UIL title games??

Matthew328
09-18-2012, 08:02 PM
http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Reliant-to-use-artificial-turf-for-non-Texans-3875501.php

Could this be why the UIL has waited so long to make an announcement??

Yoe_09
09-18-2012, 08:04 PM
I was wondering why it was taking so long. Now it makes sense.

Matthew328
09-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Texans have a home game 12/23 at noon...might be tough to change out fields that quick....

HEMOTOXIC
09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Well, atleast Houston is now in the running to host the championship games.

Yoe_09
09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Texans have a home game 12/23 at noon...might be tough to change out fields that quick....

Hmm. Have it at Cowboys Stadium this year then alternate? How long does it take to change the fields?

HEMOTOXIC
09-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Hmm. Have it at Cowboys Stadium this year then alternate? How long does it take to change the fields?

Good question.

Matthew328
09-18-2012, 08:37 PM
million dollar question...

jdawg2012
09-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Are they suggesting laying turf on top of the grass? Wouldn't that put it in worse condition that a few games? I may be completely wrong on this because I don't really understand how they're gonna do it.

Yoe_09
09-18-2012, 11:12 PM
It just might be something that happens in the years to come:

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/09/another-challenger-to-cowboys-stadium-for-the-uil-championships-houstons-reliant-stadium-gets-artificial-turf.html/

txsportswriter
09-19-2012, 12:50 AM
I'd love to see a rotation.

Matthew328
09-19-2012, 08:03 AM
the grass field is in trays and is removable...I dont think they'd put the turf on top of the grass

Pick6
09-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Reliant has atleast 2 football fields. They are in trays like Matthew stated. They can change out a field relatively quick. They also don't have to change out the whole field. They can just replace the areas that need replacing by swapping out trays of grass.

raider red 2000
09-19-2012, 10:29 AM
i would love it to be in houston....that saves me about a 5 hour drive.

jdawg2012
09-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Okay, I understand now. Still, seems a bit of an overkill if you can just change out the grass that quick.

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Houston is a much better drive then Dallas for me.

Hope reliant gets in the mix

Roughneck93
09-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Houston is a much better drive then Dallas for me.

Hope reliant gets in the mix

+1...

upper20
09-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Houston is far from being "central" -- making Reliant the site would be very unwelcome news to those in the panhandle and west Texas!

HEMOTOXIC
09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Houston is far from being "central" -- making Reliant the site would be very unwelcome news to those in the panhandle and west Texas!

Seriously? And Dallas is? What about the folks from the Valley having to drive to Dallas? What makes Dallas Central? It's called North Texas for a reason.

Yoe_09
09-19-2012, 02:32 PM
It has to be domed, so you really have to take your pick. Alternating every year from Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio would be fair. Or you could just drop the dome rule and have it in Waco.

HEMOTOXIC
09-19-2012, 02:49 PM
It has to be domed, so you really have to take your pick. Alternating every year from Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio would be fair. Or you could just drop the dome rule and have it in Waco.

Ideally, I think that is what the UIL wants.

Matthew328
09-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Seriously? And Dallas is? What about the folks from the Valley having to drive to Dallas? What makes Dallas Central? It's called North Texas for a reason.

And how many Valley teams have made it to the state games?? West Texas has had strong representation recently, especially at the small school level

Matthew328
09-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Dallas is a semi-central location Houston is probably worse than Dallas when it comes being "central" really the only domed option thats central is San Antonio....and even its not that great

Bosqueville
09-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Would love to see it in Waco when Baylor opens their new stadium!

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm not saying houston is good for everyone, but its good for me.

:)

Matthew328
09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Unless the UIL changes its criteria it won't be in Waco

HEMOTOXIC
09-19-2012, 03:49 PM
And how many Valley teams have made it to the state games?? West Texas has had strong representation recently, especially at the small school level

I understand your point, but, that doesn't mean that a person from the Valley wouldn't go to the games just because their team didn't make it to the championship. For me, if the games are ever played in Houston, I would definitely be able to make some if not all of the games.

If the Alamodome can get up to par, I think that there should be a rotation with Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston since Austin doesn't have a domed stadium. But, it does make for a fun little getaway. It will be even better when my Rattlers finally get there.

Matthew328
09-19-2012, 03:51 PM
The fairest thing to do would give everyone a year or two to host (we've already seen Dallas) but give it to Houston and San Antonio, see what kind of crowds they draw and what kind of deal they give to the UIL and go from there...if the crowds are noticeably lower in those places then you know Dallas is the best place for it..

IMO the reason why the UIL and the Cowboys haven't agreed to anything, is that Jerry knew the UIL wanted Cowboys and Cowboys only this year...he's given the UIL a sweetheart deal for Cowboys and he's not being quite as nice this go round...so either the UIL is gonna cave and take whatever the Cowboys offer OR they grow a pair and open up negotiations with Houston or San Antonio....maybe then Jerry will give them a better deal...until that happens I doubt he budges

HEMOTOXIC
09-19-2012, 03:56 PM
The fairest thing to do would give everyone a year or two to host (we've already seen Dallas) but give it to Houston and San Antonio, see what kind of crowds they draw and what kind of deal they give to the UIL and go from there...if the crowds are noticeably lower in those places then you know Dallas is the best place for it..

IMO the reason why the UIL and the Cowboys haven't agreed to anything, is that Jerry knew the UIL wanted Cowboys and Cowboys only this year...he's given the UIL a sweetheart deal for Cowboys and he's not being quite as nice this go round...so either the UIL is gonna cave and take whatever the Cowboys offer OR they grow a pair and open up negotiations with Houston or San Antonio....maybe then Jerry will give them a better deal...until that happens I doubt he budges

Cowboy Stadium is still a great option.. One way to look at, is that if you are going to have to go to Dallas, it's not like it will be an every weekend trip. As you have stated, the crowds in Dallas have been awesome, if Houston and SA duplicate the turnout, the UIL will definitely have to go to a 3 city rotation.

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
I think Houston would draw a similar crowd to Dallas, but SA much less I'm guessing.

If outdoor stadiums were allowed that would open a whole new can of beans right?

Why wouldn't DKR and Kyle field be considered with Baylors stadium?

defense51
09-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Keep it in Arlington, I can be there in 40 minutes.

HEMOTOXIC
09-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Keep it in Arlington, I can be there in 40 minutes.

That's not fair, lol.:tisk:

cougartino
09-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Here's a noble idea. Who said all games have to be in one location? Why not rotate the classifications between Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio? That way all three will be guaranteed championship games each year.

:nerd:

Pendragon13
09-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I think Houston would draw a similar crowd to Dallas, but SA much less I'm guessing.

If outdoor stadiums were allowed that would open a whole new can of beans right?

Why wouldn't DKR and Kyle field be considered with Baylors stadium?December weather is a crapshoot even further south in College Station or Austin. Just a strong blast of cold air ( even with no ice/snow) could seriously hurt attendance.

Matthew328
09-19-2012, 07:42 PM
UIL has said outdoor stadiums are not under consideration at this time, until that changes there's 3 possibilities. I dont think the UIL wants to split the sites among classes, they want them all in one place