PDA

View Full Version : Bellville vs. Sweeny

OLE'BULL
09-18-2012, 08:42 AM
The Bulls have Sweeny at home and are hopefully hungry after getting beat by Giddings at The Pasture. Does anybody have the rundown of Sweeny? I dont know much about them...

Gsquared
09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
The Bulls have Sweeny at home and are hopefully hungry after getting beat by Giddings at The Pasture. Does anybody have the rundown of Sweeny? I dont know much about them...

I saw Sweeny against Kilgore a couple of weeks ago. Run run run run. QB and RB are good runners. Defense is pretty good. Doesnt seem to be a ton of depth but they play well with what they got

MJMbrahmas10
09-18-2012, 09:56 AM
This is bellvilles homecoming. I will be in attendance. Are the bulls starters all back from injury?

Saggy Aggie
09-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Sweeny lost to Bport and WC destroyed Bport week 0.

I think Bellville takes this one..

OLE'BULL
09-18-2012, 12:03 PM
I saw Sweeny against Kilgore a couple of weeks ago. Run run run run. QB and RB are good runners. Defense is pretty good. Doesnt seem to be a ton of depth but they play well with what they got

Well I am more confident in our run defense than our pass defense. Hopefully we jump on Sweeny early and often and stay injury free. Bulls by 3 TDs!

Manso/V8
09-18-2012, 12:34 PM
The Brahmas will get it together for this one, earn the W, and head in to district on a positive note.

The Bull #40
09-19-2012, 02:44 PM
I don't think the Bulls will let Sweeny give them their second loss at The Pasture, especially on homecoming. I hope the Brahmas come out fired up and don't let up. I'm thinking the Brahma offense gets it back together, Brahmas WIN 35-14.

hookandladder
09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Sweeny lost to Bport and WC destroyed Bport week 0.

I think Bellville takes this one..

And Wharton lost to Cuero and then Wharton beat WC, just saying you never know.

HEMOTOXIC
09-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Surprise that there isn't much talk about this matchup. Should be another good game for the Brahmas.

OLE'BULL
09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Surprise that there isn't much talk about this matchup. Should be another good game for the Brahmas.

I imagine it will start picking up as we get closer. It is homecoming for the Brahmas so count on them to be ready to go. Sweeny should show up a little ticked off, nobody likes to be scheduled on an opponents homecoming. Should be a good one!

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2012, 03:45 PM
And Wharton lost to Cuero and then Wharton beat WC, just saying you never know.

Its my understanding that Cuero is much improved, Wharton was a 3 round playoff team last year and is as good this year, just in a much tougher district. Also, Wharton lost by 1 point on a last second TD right?

WC had 44 points at halftime against bport... Sweeny managed 13??? in the whole game? cant remember exactly.

Getting blown out is a little different than a 1 pt last second loss, but thats just my opinion.

hookandladder
09-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Its my understanding that Cuero is much improved, Wharton was a 3 round playoff team last year and is as good this year, just in a much tougher district. Also, Wharton lost by 1 point on a last second TD right?

WC had 44 points at halftime against bport... Sweeny managed 13??? in the whole game? cant remember exactly.

Getting blown out is a little different than a 1 pt last second loss, but thats just my opinion.

Cuero has not won since beating Wharton, lost to one of the Victoria teams and a Beeville team. I would say Wharton was the best team they have played out of their 3 games this year, just saying.

Saggy Aggie
09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Cuero has not won since beating Wharton, lost to one of the Victoria teams and a Beeville team. I would say Wharton was the best team they have played out of their 3 games this year, just saying.

Didn't that Victoria School stomp another 3A the next week? Can't remember who. And Beeville is 4A?

All I'm saying is Sweeny lost to a really below average Bport team. At least Wharton is a respectable team.

speedbump
09-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Sweeny 23 Bellville 14

hookandladder
09-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Didn't that Victoria School stomp another 3A the next week? Can't remember who. And Beeville is 4A?

All I'm saying is Sweeny lost to a really below average Bport team. At least Wharton is a respectable team.

Both Victoria teams are bad , Gonzales smoked one of them and Lockhart who is also bad beat the other Victoria team. Cuero was picked by most to beat Beeville bad, just did not happen.

YTBulldogs
09-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Bellville get's it going, and play's to their potential for 4 quarters here. Time to show their true potential for an entire game. I think Bellville goes deep in the playoff's and has been preparing for their district.

Bellvile 35
Sweeny 20

buff4ever
09-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Bellville get's it going, and play's to their potential for 4 quarters here. Time to show their true potential for an entire game. I think Bellville goes deep in the playoff's and has been preparing for their district.

Bellvile 35
Sweeny 20

Watch what you say YTB, Bellville has to play someone from our district in the first round of the playoffs, I hope you are wrong on that statement, especially if it is the buffs they run into. Bellville is a very good football team, but watch what you say.

Saggy Aggie
09-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Both Victoria teams are bad , Gonzales smoked one of them and Lockhart who is also bad beat the other Victoria team. Cuero was picked by most to beat Beeville bad, just did not happen.

Hmm well we shall see.

All I know is having seen both of them multiple times recently, Wharton >>> Bport

YTBulldogs
09-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Watch what you say YTB, Bellville has to play someone from our district in the first round of the playoffs, I hope you are wrong on that statement, especially if it is the buffs they run into. Bellville is a very good football team, but watch what you say.

Bellville is a good team and will be hard to beat in R1 IMO.

hookandladder
09-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Bellville is a good team and will be hard to beat in R1 IMO.

Well Giddings already beat them at their house, guess we will see. Also those District playoff spots will not be given away , EL Campo, Sealy and Wharton all have good shots at being in the top 3, so it will have to be earned before you start talking playoffs.

txsportswriter
09-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I like Bellville in this one by a couple TDs, 31-20. The Brahmas are tough this year.

zebrablue2
09-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Game day! Good luck to both teams, play injury free. Go Bulls!!!

Roughneck93
09-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Taking Bellville by 10.

SHSBulldog00
09-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Sweeny RB Dante Lemons is not starting tonight. Will have to wait and see if he is able to play.

SHSBulldog00
09-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I just heard Sweeny RB Dante Lemons is out for the season with a shoulder injury he sustained last week vs. Brazosport.

Dante Lemons had season-ending surgery yesterday.

Saggy Aggie
09-21-2012, 08:54 PM
I just heard Sweeny RB Dante Lemons is out for the season with a shoulder injury he sustained last week vs. Brazosport.

Dante Lemons had season-ending surgery yesterday.ouch...

Roughneck93
09-21-2012, 08:56 PM

Dante Lemons had season-ending surgery yesterday.

Damn. Hate to hear that.

'Necks 2013-14
09-21-2012, 11:35 PM

Dante Lemons had season-ending surgery yesterday.That really-really SUCKS. I picked him as my break-out player this year. Sad to hear this for sure.:(

zebrablue2
09-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Bulls win a close one at home. Congrats !!!

hookandladder
09-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Damn another surprising tight game , it is starting to get interesting.

Saggy Aggie
09-22-2012, 01:50 AM
Damn another surprising tight game , it is starting to get interesting.

+1, with Sweeny's biggest playmaker being out, i didnt see this one being close at all.

OLE'BULL
09-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Way to close for comfort. I left at half-time to go spend some time with the wife and kiddo, not thinking a 21-0 lead could be blown. Turned it on the radio and we had a nail biter. We have to be able to play 4 quarters and close out a game! El Campo, Sealy, Columbus, etc are not going to be walks in the park. Glad we got the win, and I believe there is no such thing as an ugly win, but this was as close as you can get to one.

SHSBulldog00
09-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Way to close for comfort. I left at half-time to go spend some time with the wife and kiddo, not thinking a 21-0 lead could be blown. Turned it on the radio and we had a nail biter. We have to be able to play 4 quarters and close out a game! El Campo, Sealy, Columbus, etc are not going to be walks in the park. Glad we got the win, and I believe there is no such thing as an ugly win, but this was as close as you can get to one.

Don't forget about Wharton.....I predict the Wharton Tigers will make the playoffs.

HEMOTOXIC
09-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Don't forget about Wharton.....I predict the Wharton Tigers will make the playoffs.

Wharton continues to make their statement each week. You are right, Wharton could play spoiler.

zebrablue2
09-22-2012, 02:31 PM

:iagree:

YTBulldogs
09-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Wharton is really good. That QB appears to playing to his expectations they had for him coming into this season. Good to see. Could of folded losing a good coach after only one year there.

Manso/V8
09-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Wharton continues to make their statement each week. You are right, Wharton could play spoiler.

Wharton is only a spoiler based on pre-season expectations/predictions. At this point, after 4 games, El Campo is is the D25 favorite with Bellville, Columbus, Sealy, and Wharton battling for the remaining two playoff spots.

Manso/V8
09-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Bellville played a pretty good first half, with a 21-0 lead going in to the third quarter. Sweeny made adjustments, came out fired up, and played aggressive.......... Bellville not so much. A big quesiton mark came up when the Bellville coaching staff decided to go for it on a 4th and long yard in Bellville territory. We ran it up the middle and Sweeny stuffed us for a loss. Really? With a 21-0 lead in the 3rd? Somebody must have just read a Mike Leach book and watched Pirates of the Caribbean. Sure it would have been a psychological win if we made it, but the risk was too great. Making them starti from inside their own 20 or so would have been enough. Call that one a turnover on the coaching staff, a real momentum changer that the Bulldogs capitalized on with a TD, and Bellville hung on by their fingernails the rest of the game.

We have got to get over how good we were last year and work on being good this year, or the Brahmas will find themselves watching the first round. Things to work on:
tackling fundamentals
tackling fundamentals
tackling fundamentals
make some personell changes on defense and offense. Coach Rowe laid out some possibilities in the preseason summary in The Bellville Times. It seems pretty apparent that some of those changes need to be made. Last year, the advantage Rowe had was he didn't have any preconceived notions about what positions kids should be playing, or who should be playing. It seems like he doesn't have the same advantage this year. Even if several kids need to play on both sides of the ball, so be it. At least rotate some the better athletes/players in on defense. It worked on the DL last niight to stop the 2 pt conversion, it can work at other positions as well. All the teams we have played this year had kids going both ways. The fastest kid in the secondary is the one that should be returning punts, he probably could have already broken a couple punt returns for TD's this year, and that same kid should see some more time in the offensive backfield. We need to put some more speed in the secondary as well. If a RB is going to jog trying to get the edge, or a kickoff returner is going to jog on a kick off return, maybe consider giving another player a shot. The potential for the big play is not worth the downside, not just in yards but in team morale. Work on the short and mid yardage pass routes and find a way to get the passes within reach of the receivers. If not, use the split end and tight end at defensive end or linebackers, at least on occaision. What about the quick gaurd and center, those two would beast on defense as well.

Lombardi
09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
sounded like a great game between these 2 teams

hookandladder
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Bottom line ,Bellville just not as overall talented this year. senior class just not as talented, you can look back at their 7th thru 9 th teams. Did not compete as well ,so now they are the leaders and it just is not there. They have work to do to make the playoffs this year,EL Campo hands down top team ,after that Sealy ,Wharton and them will battle it out.A lot like our District.

Bull's-eye
09-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Manso makes some good points in his post. Going for it on 4th down was definitely a mistake & also a momentum changer. On Bellville's next series, I would really have to second guess the play call on 3rd & short. With the defense shooting the gaps, I don't know why you have your QB faking hand offs to his running backs. A quick dive or a QB sneak would of been a much better call. Bellville will have to a better job throwing the ball. I know our QB is better than his 28% completion rate. A lot of the incompleted passes are low percentage pass plays. I don't know why the coaches don't throw more short passes & let the receivers use their speed to make a big play. I did see one short pass to #7 that he was able to break a few tackles for a first down. Before the game, I watched the Bellville offense run about 3 pass plays in a row that they failed to complete. Now if they can't execute these plays against any defenders, how do you expect them to work against a 11 man defense? Bellville needs to do a better job of moving the chains. They have been trying to set us the long pass play by establishing their running game, but they could be more effective setting up their ground game with some short passes. Throwing the ball on first or 2nd down should work as long as they use a high percentage pass play. On a good note, I really liked Bellville running their FB in a single back formation. Late in the game, they also called a few QB sneaks to ice the game.

Manso/V8
09-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Bottom line ,Bellville just not as overall talented this year. senior class just not as talented, you can look back at their 7th thru 9 th teams. Did not compete as well ,so now they are the leaders and it just is not there. They have work to do to make the playoffs this year,EL Campo hands down top team ,after that Sealy ,Wharton and them will battle it out.A lot like our District.

You are partially correct. Bellville will have to work to make the playoffs this year, the overall strength of our pre-district schedule and our district is much tougher this year. Kinkaid was by far the best team we have faced this year, (significantly better than Giddings), and if you include last year's opponents, second only to Coldspring, and we could have beat Kinkaid if we had played well. We did lose some good players on defense, especially the DL, the MLB, and a SS. but for the most part, those kids weren't standouts or didn't even see the field much until their senior year. The biggest difference is last year we tackled well, we haven't tackled well so far this year. We have the kids to replace them, but not to the level we had last year, but remember we had one of the best defenses in 3A last year if you look at the stats. On offense, our OL is just as good, and we have essentially all RB's and receivers back from last year. We have the ability, we just haven't played as well as well as we did last year. The quality of this senior class is unmatched in recent memory (highest GPA in school history) and has exhibited strong leadership. The junior class is the most athletically talented class we have seen in many years. Remember, LG was a much better team in district than pre-district last year. Bellville has the capability to be as good as last year, the coaches and the players just need to make it happen.

Bull's-eye
09-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Another problem has been the 2nd half woes. In the last 3 games, Bellville has been out scored 74-20 after intermission. Are we not making the adjustments? Is it conditioning? Do we need Knute Rockne to fire them up?