PDA

View Full Version : Region III Week 3 GotW: Jasper(3-0) Vs. West Orange-Stark(3-0)

Yoe_09
09-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Jasper(3-0)
W 49-13 over Liberty
W 55-14 over Orangefield
W 55-13 over Kirbyville

Vs.

West Orange-Stark
W 18-0 over Little Cypress-Mauriceville
W 34-13 over Port Neches-Groves
W 14-0 over Beaumont Central

Thoughts and Predictions?

garciap77
09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
West Orange-Stark:2thumbsup

HEMOTOXIC
09-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Jasper is 3-0 in games that they should have won.. We will see exactly how good they Dogs are come Friday.

Should be a good game, but, I'm going with the Mustangs.

Roughneck93
09-17-2012, 08:07 PM
WOS by 10.

lostaussie
09-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Jasper putting lots of points up. We will see how they do against the Stangs. Lots of respect can be gained in this one. Wish I could be there.

regaleagle
09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Usually when a team consistently scores lots of points, regardless of who the competition is(as long as they aren't complete pushovers), then you have to assume that team's offense can get it done. Jdawg has been posting on here telling us to watch out for Jasper this season, so I'm doing just that....watching what happens in this game against a formidable opponent. Jasper does have a Barbay at coach now doing his thing, so that's another factor to consider. Don't know much about either team other than what others have written, and you can generally use that as toilet paper at this juncture. I do think this will be a good matchup for both teams and tell us something about the strengths and weaknesses of each. Something in my football soul tells me to go with the team that scores alot. That would be Jasper. Yep, that's who I'm picking....in a close one.

txsportswriter
09-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Would be an awesome game to watch. It'll come down to whomever has the ball last I do believe. And that will be Jasper winning 26-20.

WOS87
09-18-2012, 01:36 AM
I would never underestimate the Mustangs, especially playing at home. We shut out a Beaumont Central team that put quite a few points on 5A Semifinalist Port Arthur Memorial and almost beat 5A Beaumont West Brook as well. Jasper's always a good game but WO-S has played much tougher teams and has been tested quite a bit more. Get ready for the Chain Gang defense.

regaleagle
09-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Well heck.....sounds like they oughta be able to whup up on just about everybody in 3A then, huh? :1popcorn:

jdawg2012
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm sticking with my original prediction of Jasper by a small margin. Probably less than a TD with nobody scoring in the fourth quarter. Offense will run the first half and defense will run the second half.

Jasper's kicker has a good range, hitting 40 yard FG's consistently in warmups. I believe he will play a role in this game.

I have no clue on this one. I will take WOS just because. If ya want a sure winner watch Ville woop on LaVega

j_dog
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
WOS has a huge lead in the games between Jasper and WOS. Some of those WOS wins were registered when WOS had a pretty large differential in student numbers. That numerical advantage has now disappeared.

But even with the early WOS numerical advantage most games have been very competitive, and very close. And Jasper has won some big games in Orange that they were "not supposed to win". Have to pull for my team. I will do my homer pick. Jasper by 1.

griff
09-20-2012, 08:18 AM
WO-S has never had a big discrepancy in student enrollment over Jasper. Granted, Jasper became a 3A school shortly before WO-S did, but the student dIscrepancy was never significant and did not offer us any kind of advantage.

By the way, we have a strong kicker this year. The offense has shown steady improvement since the scrimmages. Our biggest issue has been penalties and turnovers. Last week three turnovers cost us three TDs. We gotta clean that up. If we don't, Jasper is good enough to make us pay for it. The defense will be ready. I believe Jasper is better than Beaumont Central and will be our toughest test so far.

GUNHO
09-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Although WO-S has been on the winning side more than Jasper these two have had some great games over the years.On more than one occasion Jasper has won when they weren't suppose to and have taken us to the last second on the clock before the outcome was clear.Jasper is scoring a lot of points and their defense is keeping other teams to about two tuchdowns.WO-S as only allowed 13 points in three games and their offense is having problems holding on to the ball and penalties.Jasper will be the best team we have faced so far and the same for Jasper.Both are well coached.So take your pick...Jasper's O are WO-S D.Going to be another good game between these two.

j_dog
09-20-2012, 08:47 PM
WO-S has never had a big discrepancy in student enrollment over Jasper. Granted, Jasper became a 3A school shortly before WO-S did, but the student dIscrepancy was never significant and did not offer us any kind of advantage.
Good to hear from you Griff. Never is a long time. Granted, for 3a days, I agree with you. But the record includes all the years.

Question, when WO-S dropped from 5a to 4a in 1986, what were WO-S's numbers? I don't know, but I do know that Jasper was toward the low end of 4a then. Are you saying that when WO-S dropped from 5a to 4a, they dropped all the way down to the bottom range of 4a immediately? It did not take a few years to get to the bottom ranges? Not that it makes any difference, I am still curious what the numbers were back then. I would have guessed that WO-S had at least somewhere in the range of a 400-600 enrollment differential back then for their first few years in 4a. But I could be wrong. I often am.

That was in 1986 and probably with the biggest numbers that Jasper EVER had, they would have easily been in the current 3a range. I think that Jasper even now only has about 100 to 150 or so fewer students than they generally did in 4a.

Not that that worried Jasper. WO-S won because it had a good program. Jasper scheduled all the 5a teams that would play them back then anyway. In fact, if I remember correctly, Jasper won the first meeting between the two teams.

GUNHO
09-21-2012, 09:33 AM
J_dog.I don't know about the enrollment numbers.Where is WO87 when you need him?:)I do know there has been some good games over the years between these two.Our first year in 4A when we won state, Jasper took district 21-8 over WO-S.We met again that year in the Regional final and won 21-15.1987 our second year to win state Jasper pushed us to the final seconds before WO-S won 3-0.There has been other games WO-S just squeaked by.1990,7-6...1991,14-6...1997,17-16.Then our first year in 3A we were ranked # 1...Jasper was also Ranked high that year,# 2 or 3 I think and yall came to our house and won.There has been some lopsided scores for both but when it came down to key games you knew you better tighten your chin strap.I look for that type of game tonight and hope it is injury free.

j_dog
09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
All I know for sure is that in the 1986 QF game at Sam Houston stadium, WO-S suited out more players on the visitor side than Jasper had boys in the 11th and 12 grades! :crying: :stirpot:

Saggy Aggie
09-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Wos by 21

WOS87
09-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Good to hear from you Griff. Never is a long time. Granted, for 3a days, I agree with you. But the record includes all the years.

Question, when WO-S dropped from 5a to 4a in 1986, what were WO-S's numbers? I don't know, but I do know that Jasper was toward the low end of 4a then. Are you saying that when WO-S dropped from 5a to 4a, they dropped all the way down to the bottom range of 4a immediately? It did not take a few years to get to the bottom ranges? Not that it makes any difference, I am still curious what the numbers were back then. I would have guessed that WO-S had at least somewhere in the range of a 400-600 enrollment differential back then for their first few years in 4a. But I could be wrong. I often am.

That was in 1986 and probably with the biggest numbers that Jasper EVER had, they would have easily been in the current 3a range. I think that Jasper even now only has about 100 to 150 or so fewer students than they generally did in 4a.

Not that that worried Jasper. WO-S won because it had a good program. Jasper scheduled all the 5a teams that would play them back then anyway. In fact, if I remember correctly, Jasper won the first meeting between the two teams.

WO-S at its largest I think was only about a 1600 enrollment back in the late 1970's. My oldest sister graduated from WO-S in 1979 in a class of 401 and I graduated from WO-S in 1987 (their first year in 4A) in a class of 297 students. Jasper has maintained a 800-900 enrollment for the past 30-40 years as there are not 3 suburban school districts near Jasper ISD that have been leeching students away like WOS has with LCM, Bridge City and Orangefield ISDs (and even Vidor ISD to some extent) in addition to having private Christian schools open and loss of population from two hurricanes.

j_dog
09-21-2012, 09:55 PM
WO-S won 17-7 with Jasper scoring finally with less than a minute left in the game. WO-S defense is for real. Congratulations on the win WO-S!

j_dog
09-21-2012, 10:06 PM
I would have preferred a different outcome. But the game was definitely game of the week material.