PDA

View Full Version : Darkhorse picks this season

regaleagle
09-17-2012, 09:03 AM
I think this week would be a good time for everybody to tell us who they think will be a true darkhorse team in their district/region before the season gets any deeper. I'll make my pick(s) further down in the thread. It's okay to pick more than one team, and tell why you feel that team deserves the pick.

nobogey72
09-17-2012, 10:03 AM
I think this week would be a good time for everybody to tell us who they think will be a true darkhorse team in their district/region before the season gets any deeper. I'll make my pick(s) further down in the thread. It's okay to pick more than one team, and tell why you feel that team deserves the pick.

For our district it appears that Big Spring might be the darkhorse. 3-0 so far with the younger Tannehill at QB. Big Spring also has the largest enrollment in the district so their making the playoffs would affect the Div I Div II situation.

AverageJoe
09-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Vernon could be a darkhorse this year. Off to a great start. Heard they've gone back to the ground and pound offense they've been known for in the past.

Bosqueville
09-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Llano! They seem to be playing some good ball right now!

regaleagle
09-17-2012, 10:42 PM
We've got this team in our District 10 that nobody knows much about, but could be dangerous. Frisco Lone Star is in their 3rd year I believe, and have just about everybody back on a team from a large metropolitan suburb known to produce quality athletes. I hear they have a very accurate passing qb and run the spread. We cannot tell the quality of their team yet just by who they've played so far....it's just too early for that. But my guess is this team will be a formidable opponent for both Argyle and Celina in our district. I look for them to have a winning season(I think they are 3-0 so far) and could make a playoff run. Now that's a true darkhorse coming out of a district that already has 2 very ranked teams. Keep an eye on this team.

txsportswriter
09-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Call me a homer or whatever. But if Yoakum makes a few minor adjustments and gets a few players back from injury, District 26-3A better take note of the Bulldogs. I know it'll be tough to make a run at one of the three playoff spots with the likes of Giddings, Gonzales, La Grange, Smithville and Cuero in the mix, but don't count the Bulldogs out. Every district game will be a fight to the end and once the dust settles in this tough district race, don't be surprised to see YT amongst the top three. The Bulldogs have Cuero, Gonzales and Giddings at home and if they can find a way to win at least two of those games and steal one on the road at Smithville or La Grange, playoffs here we come. Just remember-- you heard it here first!

Bullaholic
09-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Gainesville is a better team in 9-3A than many thought.

COBRAFOOTBALL
09-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Glen Rose

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2012, 10:03 AM
We've got this team in our District 10 that nobody knows much about, but could be dangerous. Frisco Lone Star is in their 3rd year I believe, and have just about everybody back on a team from a large metropolitan suburb known to produce quality athletes. I hear they have a very accurate passing qb and run the spread. We cannot tell the quality of their team yet just by who they've played so far....it's just too early for that. But my guess is this team will be a formidable opponent for both Argyle and Celina in our district. I look for them to have a winning season(I think they are 3-0 so far) and could make a playoff run. Now that's a true darkhorse coming out of a district that already has 2 very ranked teams. Keep an eye on this team.

Sideline to Sideline had Lonestar as a play off team and our magazine did as well.

greendawg84
09-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Llano! They seem to be playing some good ball right now!

Thats mine , I think Llano makes the playoffs.

Bosqueville
09-18-2012, 10:39 AM

I agree at the expense of Lampasas and Burnet.

LHPfactory
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
I agree at the expense of Lampasas and Burnet.

Yeah at this point its looking like 8-3A:

DI = Gatesville

DII = LH and Llano,

However, I really expected Burnet to be much better this year, they rarely miss the play offs. I also expected Brownwood to be looking much better than they are.
It is still early in the season, and the situation could be much different in a few weeks, Lampasas may step it up also.

Pre Season I really thought it woud be LH, Burnet, and Brownwood, still could be, but right now the three I put up there look the best.

greendawg84
09-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah at this point its looking like 8-3A:

DI = Gatesville

DII = LH and Llano,

However, I really expected Burnet to be much better this year, they rarely miss the play offs. I also expected Brownwood to be looking much better than they are.
It is still early in the season, and the situation could be much different in a few weeks, Lampasas may step it up also.

Pre Season I really thought it woud be LH, Burnet, and Brownwood, still could be, but right now the three I put up there look the best.

LH the best by far Dist Champ
2. I think Gatesville or Bwood on will fill this spot , WAY to early to count out a Shipley coached team.
3. Llano is better than they were last year , have not played anybody that is great , yeah I know they played Wimberly to within 1 point .
3. Bwood like I said dont count out a Shipley team.
3. Burnet , better find some D , if they do by district they could slip in. We are young , starting 5 or 6 Sophs.
3. Lampasas , who knows , they lost the head coach and lots of Seniors.

LHPfactory
09-18-2012, 02:07 PM

This would push Argyle into DII, which would add Argyle to the Region II DII fight with the likely Celina, Gilmer and Melissa.

If Kilgore(auto DI) makes it in Distirict 16 it adds Henderson or TCH to the DII mix.

DII - REGII will be interesting and ruff in the play offs.

Gone Fishing
09-18-2012, 02:51 PM

I said it first.... just saying

DalhartAlumni
09-18-2012, 03:58 PM
If Dalhart can upend Shallowater, then Dalhart could be a darkhorse going into the playoffs, Dalhart would have a great chance of going undefeated with beating them too, sadly District 1-3A is very weak.