PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley vs. La Vernia

LV_Bearfan
09-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Thoughts?

wimbo_pro
09-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Thoughts?

No idea which Wimberley team will show. The team of last night? It could get ugly for us. The team that we see flashes of? We could defeat LV handily. No idea which it will be.

LionFan72
09-15-2012, 09:37 AM
No idea which Wimberley team will show. The team of last night? It could get ugly for us. The team that we see flashes of? We could defeat LV handily. No idea which it will be.

I have never seen so many unsettled/upset teams, coaches are really being challenged this year.

YTBulldogs
09-15-2012, 09:37 AM
First time in a while I'm going against WT

35-28 Bears.

LV_Bearfan
09-15-2012, 10:01 AM
If history serves, Bears are due to win in a weird one with all sorts of strange plays and inadvertent whistles. At least the lights will stay on. ;)

Tejastrue
09-15-2012, 10:02 AM
First time in a while I'm going against WT

35-28 Bears.

LOL.. La Vernia is no Dripping Springs or Giddings for that matter. To say they put up 35..not going to happen. We will win this game!

YTBulldogs
09-15-2012, 10:07 AM
LOL.. La Vernia is no Dripping Springs or Giddings for that matter. To say they put up 35..not going to happen. We will win this game!

LOL..Port Lavaca Calhoun is no Llano either. I think LV put 40 on them.

Tejastrue
09-15-2012, 10:19 AM
LOL..Port Lavaca Calhoun is no Llano either. I think LV put 40 on them.

Not sure what the Llano game has to do with anything. They have however won two in a row since our game. LV just got by a struggling Canyon Lake team.

http://hilltopnewspaper.com/2012/09/cl-hawks-lose-by-a-claw-14-13-to-la-vernia-bears/#more-3671

Pudlugger
09-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Wimberley seems to still be looking for consistency in their offense. La Vernia is coming off a close win over Canyon Lake after losing their first 2 games to good 4a teams. Both teams are trying to rise to the level of play more representative of their recent histories. It seems that Wimberley is down more psychologically right now and the Bears coming off a good win may take advantage of that. I think La Vernia with home field advantage and the emotional edge squeaks out another win by a td or less.

wimbo_pro
09-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Wimberley seems to still be looking for consistency in their offense. La Vernia is coming off a close win over Canyon Lake after losing their first 2 games to good 4a teams. Both teams are trying to rise to the level of play more representative of their recent histories. It seems that Wimberley is down more psychologically right now and the Bears coming off a good win may take advantage of that. I think La Vernia with home field advantage and the emotional edge squeaks out another win by a td or less.

Good assessment.

clhsdad
09-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Wimberley should win this one.

Gontex
09-15-2012, 11:43 AM
How long has it been since Wimberley lost three in a row? Has it ever happened?

Gone Fishing
09-15-2012, 12:00 PM
How long has it been since Wimberley lost three in a row? Has it ever happened?

2009. They were 1 and 4 going into district and then went 4 games into the playoffs......

ziggy29
09-15-2012, 01:08 PM
LOL..Port Lavaca Calhoun is no Llano either.
That may well be true, but this year's Llano isn't exactly last year's Llano, either...

fourbeee
09-15-2012, 01:27 PM
One thing will not happen in this game, the Texans wont be worn down in the second half like they were against DS. In the 2nd half, DS offensive line were pushing the Texans off the line of scrimmage. DS wasn't able to do that in the 1st half. LV is nowhere as good as DS or Giddings. Texans by 14

wimbo_pro
09-15-2012, 01:35 PM
One thing will not happen in this game, the Texans wont be worn down in the second half like they were against DS. In the 2nd half, DS offensive line were pushing the Texans off the line of scrimmage. DS wasn't able to do that in the 1st half. LV is nowhere as good as DS or Giddings. Texans by 14

True, Fourbee. DS was just wearing us down badly. Too many kids going both ways. DS looks strong and fresh...they had some depth to them, and used every bit of it. Good coaching on DS side...wear us down and go after our weakness, the D backfield (obvious to all who were there and to anyone who sees the game film). Not to mention a kickbutt QB. WAYYY too much for us over 4 quarters at this point in the season.

buff4ever
09-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Wimberley is fine, they win this game by 2 scores. Bear fans on here don't affect the psychology of the texan players.

wimbo_pro
09-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Wimberley is fine, they win this game by 2 scores. Bear fans on here don't affect the psychology of the texan players.

We should, Buff4...we should. We have flashes of good play, then a break down, sometimes a complete breakdown. Uncharacteristic of a Sir Nelms team, and you can be sure he will fix that. We have enough talent to be much better than we have been thusfar. Obviously not good enough to beat Giddings and DS...dont know about LV and LH, but it should be a real test for the fortitude of these kids.

fourbeee
09-15-2012, 02:40 PM
DS could not run against the Texan defense. That one broken play that turned into a long TD run was really all they had until the 4th Qt., but the Texans were still attacking them. DS only threw primarily to one side of the field and for the most part avoided the other side. I want say which side because I don't want to pick on any particular kids. Also they used their height advantage with that one giant receiver they had. Looking at the talent of the rest of the schedule, it appears to me in my humble opinion, that the Texans toughest game will come against Liberty Hill. I know, before I get attacked, the Texans will have to play their best, but I think they will match up very well against everyone else. The weakness of this team is injuries and depth. This is a very scrappy team.

YTBulldogs
09-15-2012, 03:53 PM
I know one thing, both teams are well coached. Not many better than Robinson or Nelms in the game.

wimbo_pro
09-15-2012, 05:50 PM
DS could not run against the Texan defense. That one broken play that turned into a long TD run was really all they had until the 4th Qt., but the Texans were still attacking them. DS only threw primarily to one side of the field and for the most part avoided the other side. I want say which side because I don't want to pick on any particular kids. Also they used their height advantage with that one giant receiver they had. Looking at the talent of the rest of the schedule, it appears to me in my humble opinion, that the Texans toughest game will come against Liberty Hill. I know, before I get attacked, the Texans will have to play their best, but I think they will match up very well against everyone else. The weakness of this team is injuries and depth. This is a very scrappy team.

VERY scrappy. Though I obviously would rather be 3-0 and feeling good about the last 3 weeks, I still feel good about the remaining 7 games...and then the post-season, which we WILL make.

Tejastrue
09-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Wimbo..your private message box is full.

Tejastrue
09-15-2012, 06:20 PM

Much better team than what you saw in Llano don't you think? At least on defense.:wave:

fourbeee
09-15-2012, 06:29 PM
It is going to be very hard for anyone to run against the Texans. They want play another team with as big an offensive line as they went up against Fri. nite. I liked the way there was always 7 or 8 kids at the point of attack. No one standing around watching someone else make the play.

lbjacj
09-15-2012, 06:35 PM
True, Fourbee. DS was just wearing us down badly. Too many kids going both ways. DS looks strong and fresh...they had some depth to them, and used every bit of it. Good coaching on DS side...wear us down and go after our weakness, the D backfield (obvious to all who were there and to anyone who sees the game film). Not to mention a kickbutt QB. WAYYY too much for us over 4 quarters at this point in the season.

I think the Texan offense's inability to complete passes (some off target and a lot of drops!) and get first downs was what wore down the Texan defense. There were more 3rd and longs than i've ever seen in one game! That was by far the Texans worst execution of the playbook in a long time! The coaches play calling was good for the most part and all we had to do was execute and we would have been up at the half. I was shocked when Nelms yanked Jones after three badly thrown passes but it worked. Only problem was when he finally was on target, we couldn't catch the ball! I'm sure there will be a lot of focus on the passing game this week in practice. Wimbo I kind of like your idea of keeping Jones at saftey and letting Cerday start. If we can just relax and play with a little confidence and eliminate the mistakes we will be ok. This team is a work in progress and will be fine come district and the playoffs.

Gone Fishing
09-15-2012, 10:52 PM
I think the Texan offense's inability to complete passes (some off target and a lot of drops!) and get first downs was what wore down the Texan defense. There were more 3rd and longs than i've ever seen in one game! That was by far the Texans worst execution of the playbook in a long time! The coaches play calling was good for the most part and all we had to do was execute and we would have been up at the half. I was shocked when Nelms yanked Jones after three badly thrown passes but it worked. Only problem was when he finally was on target, we couldn't catch the ball! I'm sure there will be a lot of focus on the passing game this week in practice. Wimbo I kind of like your idea of keeping Jones at saftey and letting Cerday start. If we can just relax and play with a little confidence and eliminate the mistakes we will be ok. This team is a work in progress and will be fine come district and the playoffs.

Your totally missing something. The offensive line is the worst I have seen in a long time. The offense can not work in any areas of passing, running or QB play if they don't get better or find some players so they can get better. Watch the film you can see what I mean.

ogg
09-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Your totally missing something. The offensive line is the worst I have seen in a long time. The offense can not work in any areas of passing, running or QB play if they don't get better or find some players so they can get better. Watch the film you can see what I mean.

The o-line’s getting better! Instead of a the opposing team’s defense doing a jail break rush with 5 to 6 guys in the backfield with Jones, now there’s only 1 or 2. Also Jones hasn’t required an ambulance lately only pulled to the sidelines without a helmet.

wimbo_pro
09-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Wimbo..your private message box is full.

Done

wimbo_pro
09-16-2012, 02:23 AM
I like Jones. He is a player, and I hear a great kid. But his talent just might be better for the team as a full time defensive back (a huge weakness at present). I have full confidence the coaches will make the right adjustments...dont be surprised if this is one of them.

Manso/V8
09-16-2012, 02:51 AM

I'm guessing you have a son or relative at QB or RB?

Gone Fishing
09-16-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm guessing you have a son or relative at QB or RB?

I feel like I am a relative to half these boys, Ive known most of them since they were young. (many of those being linemen)

Sportshack
09-16-2012, 10:16 AM
=Gone Fishing;1693419]2009. They were 1 and 4 going into district and then went 4 games into the playoffs......[/QUOTE]

THey were 1-3 in 2009 with losses to dripping, LaVernia and Bandera before going on to win 5 out of 6 to win district and make it 4 games deep. They lost to LH in 9th game. Just sayin...:)

Gone Fishing
09-16-2012, 10:30 AM
I like Jones. He is a player, and I hear a great kid. But his talent just might be better for the team as a full time defensive back (a huge weakness at present). I have full confidence the coaches will make the right adjustments...dont be surprised if this is one of them.

He not only was a all district safety last year, he started at receiver 4 or 5 games and was first backup at all three wide receiver spots behind three seniors last year. Hell, he returned a punt Friday night for 25 yards! As for as QB, its like the NFL (every body loves the back up quarterback if they are losing) but most of the time when the backup get their chance the armchair fans realize that that wasn't the problem. For every bad pass Jones has thrown there has been 3 perfect ones dropped. Just saying, and everyone (real football knowledgeable fans) knew Jones would need all pre district games to get experience needed as well as the O line and young receivers. unfortunately he has been knocked out of two games, the O line has not gotten any better and the receivers continue to drop passes and run wrong routes ALL the time. (most of you wouldn't know about wrong route running, you just see the big picture). With all that said I still think we are a good team and will get much better, but without much depth and the lack of depth is just the cards this coaching staff and team was dealt with. Most of our best players will be playing both ways or a lot of different positions this year, just realize it, except it and get behind them all the way and lets see where this team can take us. I honestly figured 3 and 2 when I saw the schedule, so now we got to beat LaVernia and LH. We were 1 and 4 in 2009 and then went undefeated in district and four games deep in the playoffs. I remember that team well and we also had a bunch that went both ways too. This is a great group of young men this year in football, school and life. Go Texans!! I love these boys.

Gone Fishing
09-16-2012, 10:31 AM
=Gone Fishing;1693419]2009. They were 1 and 4 going into district and then went 4 games into the playoffs......

THey were 1-3 in 2009 with losses to dripping, LaVernia and Bandera before going on to win 5 out of 6 to win district and make it 4 games deep. They lost to LH in 9th game. Just sayin...:)[/QUOTE]

Sorry my bad, but I was close! LOL

rb585
09-16-2012, 10:37 AM
No, the O-line was absolutely terrible. And it was bad against Llano, too.

The D played their butts off Friday and finally got worn down by a bigger team. They'll be fine.

LV_Bearfan
09-16-2012, 10:53 AM
La Vernia did something similar last year but actually graduated a large senior class and our last Grubb kid. We're back in that mode again....this time with a very small group of SR's and no 4.3 40 types.

Gone Fishing
09-16-2012, 11:57 AM

The D played their butts off Friday and finally got worn down by a bigger team. They'll be fine.

agree. agree

hookandladder
09-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Wimberley gets back on track this week, Wimberley by 2 or 3 TD,s.

Roughneck93
09-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Wimberley wins by a couple of TDs.

Tejastrue
09-16-2012, 01:44 PM
He not only was a all district safety last year, he started at receiver 4 or 5 games and was first backup at all three wide receiver spots behind three seniors last year. Hell, he returned a punt Friday night for 25 yards! As for as QB, its like the NFL (every body loves the back up quarterback if they are losing) but most of the time when the backup get their chance the armchair fans realize that that wasn't the problem. For every bad pass Jones has thrown there has been 3 perfect ones dropped. Just saying, and everyone (real football knowledgeable fans) knew Jones would need all pre district games to get experience needed as well as the O line and young receivers. unfortunately he has been knocked out of two games, the O line has not gotten any better and the receivers continue to drop passes and run wrong routes ALL the time. (most of you wouldn't know about wrong route running, you just see the big picture). With all that said I still think we are a good team and will get much better, but without much depth and the lack of depth is just the cards this coaching staff and team was dealt with. Most of our best players will be playing both ways or a lot of different positions this year, just realize it, except it and get behind them all the way and lets see where this team can take us. I honestly figured 3 and 2 when I saw the schedule, so now we got to beat LaVernia and LH. We were 1 and 4 in 2009 and then went undefeated in district and four games deep in the playoffs. I remember that team well and we also had a bunch that went both ways too. This is a great group of young men this year in football, school and life. Go Texans!! I love these boys.

As far as our depth...I'm not able to keep up with the JV and Frosh teams but I saw where we have about 50 on JV. Do you guys see any potential players moving up any time soon? Maybe come district play?

lbjacj
09-16-2012, 04:13 PM
As far as our depth...I'm not able to keep up with the JV and Frosh teams but I saw where we have about 50 on JV. Do you guys see any potential players moving up any time soon? Maybe come district play?

There were a handful brought up for the Drip game but I didn't notice any play. They were the ones without names on their jerseys.

Gone Fishing
09-16-2012, 04:35 PM

There were a handful brought up for the Drip game but I didn't notice any play. They were the ones without names on their jerseys.

They moved a bunch up for Friday night because the game Thursday was rained out. They moved one kid up from JV for real after first week (#80) and he played quite a bit Friday.

lvbears32
09-16-2012, 04:40 PM
La Vernia always challenges themselves early in the season to prepare for a deep postseason run. They will play with heart as always and are capable of putting points up on the board as seen against Calhoun. as usual LV will put up a fight and make wimberley earn their first w.

lbjacj
09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
La Vernia always challenges themselves early in the season to prepare for a deep postseason run. They will play with heart as always and are capable of putting points up on the board as seen against Calhoun. as usual LV will put up a fight and make wimberley earn their first w.

2nd W
We beat Llano.

Tejastrue
09-16-2012, 07:16 PM

They moved a bunch up for Friday night because the game Thursday was rained out. They moved one kid up from JV for real after first week (#80) and he played quite a bit Friday.

I saw the guys with the nameless jerseys. I should have worded it as to say "that will stay" on varsity. I recall #80 being open on several occasions and we just missed him on the passes. He was open. I was hoping there would be a few OL/DL people moved up to help spell these guys. Maybe it will come. I also realize you can't deplete the JV too much. It is what it is I guess.

ogg
09-16-2012, 08:27 PM

The o-line (although currently troubled) has great potential; I’m not worried about them.
Nice job Kolby Kelly and Colton Cerday playin the drip!
http://teamplayer.statesman.com/web/home.php?site=default&tpl=Boxscore&mkt=&ID=1308

Gone Fishing
09-16-2012, 08:37 PM
The o-line (although currently troubled) has great potential; I’m not worried about them.
Nice job Kolby Kelly and Colton Cerday playin the drip!
http://teamplayer.statesman.com/web/home.php?site=default&tpl=Boxscore&mkt=&ID=1308

Sorry Ogg but diagree, The O line was horrible and I'm very worried about them and the 4 receptions and 75 yds ( all but 1 to Kelly) came with under 2 minutes to go when Dripping unloaded their bench and with 60 players on their roster thats 4th teamers playing against us. It was a screen and then the throw back pass both to Kelly. We stunk all four quarters on offense in my opinion.

ogg
09-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Sorry Ogg but diagree, The O line was horrible and I'm very worried about them and the 4 receptions and 75 yds ( all but 1 to Kelly) came with under 2 minutes to go when Dripping unloaded their bench and with 60 players on their roster thats 4th teamers playing against us. It was a screen and then the throw back pass both to Kelly. We stunk all four quarters on offense in my opinion.

Well that's ok, your opinion. I'll take the high road.

HSFB
09-17-2012, 09:11 AM
IMHO: The Texans front 8 will shut-down the Bears and our O will come through led by a strong running game complimented by quick hit passes to keep things loose. I do not think that the Bears have the depth to wear down the Texans so I'll go with 28 to 7...Texans.

HSFB
09-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Too bad we do not have the luxury of just having Kelly on O as I see him as one of those 20+ carry 150+ yard guys who can control the game by keeping the chains moving and our D off the field for long stretches. Teams would have to focus on shutting that down which would open things up for others. A play-action would be brutal to an opposing D….but depth in 3A ball is a beast some years and the kid is just waaaaaayyyyyyy too valuable at DE.

lbjacj
09-17-2012, 11:45 AM
IMHO: The Texans front 8 will shut-down the Bears and our O will come through led by a strong running game complimented by quick hit passes to keep things loose. I do not think that the Bears have the depth to wear down the Texans so I'll go with 28 to 7...Texans.

I think we will see the Texans deliver their best performance of the year so far! Just not sure about a 21 point margin.

HSFB
09-17-2012, 11:51 AM
I think we will see the Texans deliver their best performance of the year so far! Just not sure about a 21 point margin.

I see your point but I'm thinking that our DB's will really step-up this week and prevent the big plays. I was encouraged that they were putting themselves in position to make the play and I'm hoping the experience will start enabling them to finish. The pressure from the front 7 or 8 should be making this an easy/easier task on the backend.

Tejastrue
09-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Can a moderator combine this with the GOTW thread. Thanks.

jackofalltrades
09-21-2012, 05:07 PM
it is too bad that the texans don't have more depth on both sides of the ball, a lot of guys are going both ways all game. also what currently appears to be the lack of a downfield passing attack, for whatever reason anyone wants to blame it on, is making the offense one dimensional and the defenses are playing it accordingly.

LHPfactory
09-21-2012, 06:47 PM
it is too bad that the texans don't have more depth on both sides of the ball, a lot of guys are going both ways all game. also what currently appears to be the lack of a downfield passing attack, for whatever reason anyone wants to blame it on, is making the offense one dimensional and the defenses are playing it accordingly.

Whats so bad about running the ball 99% of the time? :clap: LHHS

Wimberley by at least 2-3 TD's..... over LV.........

jackofalltrades
09-22-2012, 01:00 AM
good call-