PDA

View Full Version : Columbia Vs Wharton

Necks88Fan
09-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Who ya got, by how much and why? I surely want to put this one in the book of W's but, i really would like to see us challenged, to put things in perspective. I'm thinking something like 42-14 Roughnecks.

Roughneck93
09-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Bartee Grissom and Alfred Pinkney.

Both will be a good test for the D on Friday night.

I'll say Necks by 14.

Roughneck93
09-12-2012, 11:32 PM
From the Wharton Journal Spectator...

Tigers face tough test at Columbia

Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:00 am
By KEITH MAGEE
kmagee@journal-spectator.com
The three high school football teams on the east side of Wharton County had a clean sweep last week, and they’ll be looking for another one this week with another round of non-district games.
However, the slate gets a little tougher for at least two of the teams when they face a couple of undefeated powerhouses.
The Wharton Tigers travel to West Columbia to face the undefeated Columbia Roughnecks, while the East Bernard Brahmas will return home for a battle of two undefeated teams when they host Hempstead.
Boling, meanwhile, will host Needville for its annual Homecoming game. All three contests start at 7:30 p.m.
Here’s a closer look at this week’s matchups:
Wharton at Columbia
The Tigers are all too familiar with the Roughnecks. They were in the same district last year, and the Roughnecks were the only team to beat the Tigers in district action.
In fact, Columbia has been to the state semifinals for the last two years in a row.
“West Columbia has a great program,” Wharton Coach Tim Finn said. “They have lots of playoff experience. They have a solid tradition, something we’re trying to build here.”
Finn said Columbia’s team speed is “very good” and that the Roughnecks have a “solid defense.”
“They have a lot of returning players on that side of the ball,” Finn said of the team’s defense.
On offense, running back Floyd Bess was a state qualifier in track last year. They run a multiple offense, and the team is physical.
“We’ve got to be ready and willing to match that aggressiveness,” Finn said. “This will probably be the best team we’ve played up to this point in the season.”
Last week, the Tigers defeated Houston Scarborough, 70-8, and that gave Finn a chance to play a lot of young players. In addition, some of the players were brought up to the varsity last week after a sub-varsity game was cancelled.
“It was a great, fun night for everyone,” Finn said. “We were able to play a bunch of kids. It was great for the morale of the team.”
Finn said the Spartans played hard, but they were outnumbered by the Tigers.
“They were a fiesty group early, but they got tired,” Finn said.
The Tiger offense was a little sluggish at first but came around and executed well throughout the game, Finn said.
“The defense did a better job getting to the football,” Finn said. “We had some good things on kickoffs. We scored in a lot of different ways.”
Finn said he is ready to see how well the Tigers, 1-1, can do against the undefeated Roughnecks, who are 2-0.
“I hope in the first two games, we’ve gained a lot of experience,” Finn said. “This will be a great test to see where our football team is.”

http://www.journal-spectator.com/sports/article_5c4b8984-fc65-11e1-a0d6-001a4bcf887a.html

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Necks come back strong this week.

Win by 21 over a pretty solid Wharton team.

Roughneck93
09-13-2012, 07:12 AM
From The Facts...

Old District 29-3A foes meet again
Columbia keying on Wharton QB Grissom in Week 2 at home.

By ALEX YBARRA | Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:00 am
WEST COLUMBIA — Columbia coach Randy Lynch knows what to expect from Wharton’s Bartee Grissom. After all, the senior quarterback was named District 29-3A offensive MVP last season.
“They’re obviously very athletic,” said Lynch, whose Roughnecks play the Tigers at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Griggs Field. “He’s just very athletic. This year he is throwing the ball better than he did a year ago. Obviously he’s always a threat to run.”
Wharton (1-1), which now plays in District 25-3A while Columbia moved to 24-3A, recovered from a 20-19 loss to Cuero with a 70-8 shellacking of Houston Scarborough on Friday. Lynch said Grissom hasn’t run the ball much this season, instead focusing more on passing.

In the loss to Cuero, Grissom threw for 202 yards, a touchdown and an interception on 13-of-22 passing. He also had 52 yards and a touchdown on eight carries.

“They’re trying to work on other parts of their game, especially the throwing department,” Lynch said. “But he’s very capable of making big plays for them with his feet.”

Grissom ended the 2011 season with 946 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns. His passing numbers weren’t as pretty, as he had 615 yards, five touchdowns and five picks while completing 34 percent of passes.

That doesn’t seem to be the case this year.

“Now he’s truly become a dual-threat, and we have to make sure we contain him,” Lynch said.

Columbia didn’t let him get out of control in a 36-13 win against Wharton last year, when Grissom had 105 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries.

The Roughnecks (2-0) shook off a meticulous Needville offense for a 28-0 win on Friday. Columbia’s offense ran only 18 plays in the first half before breaking open the game.

“Sometimes we gotta be patient, they definitely took the air out of the ball against us,” Lynch said. “We have to be patient and capitalize each and every time we get the football.”

It was the first game at quarterback for Sweeny transfer Darius Bell, who shared time with senior Willis Johnson.

Bell finished with 58 yards rushing, including a 32-yard scamper to set up a fourth-quarter touchdown and a 38-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Harris.

“Darius came out a little tight being it was his first game. The game started coming to him,” said Lynch, who plans on keeping Johnson and Bell in at quarterback.

The fact Columbia turned the ball over once — and it was in the first half — after three against Brazosport in Week 0 was something Lynch wanted to see.

“It was one of those things, ‘Here we go again,” he said, referring to the early turnover. “But we hung on to the ball real well after that. We took care of the ball a little better.”
Columbia leads the long-time series against Wharton, 31-30-3.

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_8416f53c-fd57-11e1-97b2-001a4bcf887a.html

CTS
09-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks for posting the news articles....lover reading info like that.

I will once again say that WC will be undefeated when they come to La Marque November 2nd. I'll a;so say again I think they should have scheduled a couple of war daddy's in non-district to get them ready for the playoffs....every time I look up they are favored by multiple touchdowns....lol