PDA

View Full Version : 4A Beeville Jones (1-1) vs Cuero (1-1)

Old Green
09-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Beeville is coming off a 28-21 loss to C.C. Ray while Cuero lost 44-19 to 4A Victoria West

YTBulldogs
09-11-2012, 10:00 AM
I see the Gob's bouncing back, and win in a close one, 27-21.

Old Green
09-11-2012, 10:04 AM
I see the Gob's bouncing back, and win in a close one, 27-21.I could see this happening. The young Gobblers just need to cut down on turnovers and mistakes.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Yup, TO's will beat you. Dern near beat us against Columbus. 5 fumbles, yikes. Cuero's ok IMO.

buff4ever
09-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Cuero hasn't shown me that they have improved from last year yet. This week would go along way in showing improvement with a decisive win.

Old Green
09-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Cuero hasn't shown me that they have improved from last year yet. This week would go along way in showing improvement with a decisive win.This true. But if you would have seen Cuero last year, then you would agree. A vast improvement. Last year they couldn't move the ball to save their life. Right now, they just need to cut down on turnovers. By district they should have some of the starters backthat are injured.

BigGreen61
09-11-2012, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=buff4ever;1691958]Cuero hasn't shown me that they have improved from last year yet. This week would go along way in showing improvement with a decisive win.[/QUOTe
They will show u in ur backyard when district start. Dont sleep on us! We will have the whole army back by district.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Beeville is a power runnng team and" their qb is still learning. Qb is around 6'7" and good size line to.

44INAROW
09-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I see the Gob's bouncing back, and win in a close one, 27-21.
I hope you have 20/20 vision!! Get back on the winning track Gobblers!

YTBulldogs
09-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Beeville is a power runnng team and" their qb is still learning. Qb is around 6'7" and good size line to.

Dern 6'7"?

SintonFan_inAustin
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Dern 6'7"?Maxprep has him listed at 6'6" and a sophmore.

Defensively Beeville has struggle some on that side of the the ball so go chance for Cuero to get their offense going.

MUSTANG69
09-11-2012, 04:41 PM

I heard their line is huge and slow but will smash you ever chance they get. It will be interesting to see how this game comes out since Ingleside has Beeville next week and Cuero the following week.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Time for Cuero to use some of that speed it appears against those big fellows. Should be a great game.

Dawgfan64
09-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Beeville keeps the Gobblers off track another week...IMHO but winning in Gobbler Stadium is tough to do anytime

crabman
09-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Last YEAR we had 335 yards passing. Yes, the entire year. Our first game we were 22 for 29 including two spikes. 329 yards. One INT. second game 25 for 35 for 222 yards. One INT . We are light years ahead of last year. We have some issues with fumbles and injuries. We will roll along sort of mediocre looking and we will look like world beaters some weeks. We will see who shows up this week.

crabman
09-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Oh yeah, who saw what Wharton did to Houston Scarborough? 70-8 Wharton. Scarborough may not be that good but maybe Wharton was better tHan people thought.

Blue42
09-11-2012, 09:43 PM
I think we will have our FB/LB/punter back for this game he may be rusty as this will be his first game this season, but it will be good to see him back.

MustangFootball
09-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Cuero should win this game, I don't see Beeville having what it take to get this one done.

crabman
09-13-2012, 10:58 PM
FYI Cuero Freshmen win 44-22. Cuero JV win 25-6. Cuero JV is 3-0 after going 1-9 as Freshmen. Attitude is everything.

1stnurseryman
09-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Not only r they 3-0, 7 sophmores r on varsity!! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see how much better the over all program is getting. By the way the 8th grade is loaded.

Old Green
09-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Final

Beeville Jones 35
Cuero 20

Gobblers eliminated some of the turnovers.Played agood game. One int. lead to a touchdown in the 1st half. 2nd half looked as if the Gobblers had the Slot-t figured out. Stopped them and Gobblers made it to the Beeville 4 yd. line and fumbled. Beevilles 6'6" Qb only passed about 8 times in the game but was very effective.

hookandladder
09-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Not a good start for the Cuero team, one win over Wharton team. I bet the old coach could have beat Wharton also, from what most posters were saying you guys should have beaten this team easily.

Old Green
09-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Not a good start for the Cuero team, one win over Wharton team. I bet the old coach could have beat Wharton also, from what most posters were saying you guys should have beaten this team easily.I wouldn't say the old coach would have won. Probably wouldn't have even scored. The young Gobblers lost 3 fumbles in the Wharton game, all within the Tiger 10 yard line or less.

Cuero could have easily won, maybe. Two turnovers that lead to tds (fumble on Beevilles 4 yard line). Pass interference call that lead to another TD. Two dropped passes by wr's wide open with no one around for 10 or 15 yards (1 in the endzone). I like what I see. The guys are young. Probably one of the youngest teams we've had in years. The mistakes they're making can be remedied with practice. They're getting better and you can't count them out of any game.

YTBulldogs
09-15-2012, 07:36 AM
The Gob's will be ready when the portion of the season that counts, rolls around. I think this was the first game for some of their starters who have been out till now.

Cowboy_Up
09-15-2012, 08:03 AM
The Gob's will be ready when the portion of the season that counts, rolls around. I think this was the first game for some of their starters who have been out till now.

It is interesting to see the change of attitude in Cuero. They are 1-2 with two loses by multiple scores and they are taking about the good things they did and how they will be competitive by district. If this is any other coach other then the son of a legend, they'd be calling for his head. Oh how expectations can change in a few short years.

I actually hope the gobblers make it back to the way they played 3, 4, 5 years ago. They played the game right and you could tell it was a very tightly run ship. Hopefully young Reeve can right that ship.

Old Green
09-15-2012, 08:34 AM
It is interesting to see the change of attitude in Cuero. They are 1-2 with two loses by multiple scores and they are taking about the good things they did and how they will be competitive by district. If this is any other coach other then the son of a legend, they'd be calling for his head. Oh how expectations can change in a few short years.

I actually hope the gobblers make it back to the way they played 3, 4, 5 years ago. They played the game right and you could tell it was a very tightly run ship. Hopefully young Reeve can right that ship.How you doing CU? Glad to see you posting.
Reeve is laying the ground work. The team is competitive. Little mistakes. They can strike from anywhere on the field unlike the previous two years. If Coach Reeve stays around, gets his system in place, the Gobblers we'll be back. Some good underclassmen coming coming up.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-15-2012, 08:51 AM
How you doing CU? Glad to see you posting.
Reeve is laying the ground work. The team is competitive. Little mistakes. They can strike from anywhere on the field unlike the previous two years. If Coach Reeve stays around, gets his system in place, the Gobblers we'll be back. Some good underclassmen coming coming up.Cuero is heading in the right direction, might not be wins right now but i won't be suprise if they're back to where we are all use to seeing Cuero football be at later in the season.

buff4ever
09-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Cuero is heading in the right direction, might not be wins right now but i won't be suprise if they're back to where we are all use to seeing Cuero football be at later in the season.

With cuero working with a young team, they may get better and better throughout the season. The point I made earlier in week and cowboy up just made is that there has been a change in attitude just by adding the coach they obviously wanted from get go. A couple of years ago with less than average talent owens got beat in a close game by a very good wimberley teamin third round I think. Last year with little talent none by cuero standards he struggled understandibly. They never gave him a chance, and they prolly know it. New coach comes in with a very good hs qb, improvement #1, and is playing with lots of young players that were too young last year for owens, proving what owens had wasn't good enough to contribute sufficiently for this years team to not use younger kids. With all of this being pointed out, you are still experiencing losses with similar problems. I am not saying that cuero won't get back to old form, but it will take time due to dip in talent for a couple of years. Owens would still be your coach if your runningback last year wouldn't have been such a problem off the field. I guess you got what you wanted, so now you can support your team.

WILDGOBBLERCAT
09-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Buff, it is awesome we live in America and can pretty much say whatever we wish. The Freedom of Speech is truly a wonderful thing.

I'm not going to debate anything you said with a back and forth so don't look for a response. I'm guessing you have some connection to our previous staff or are attempting to troll(if that's the case I guess I'm biting and congrats), but you have absolutely no clue on what went on here in Cuero
recently. None.

buff4ever
09-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Buff, it is awesome we live in America and can pretty much say whatever we wish. The Freedom of Speech is truly a wonderful thing.

I'm not going to debate anything you said with a back and forth so don't look for a response. I'm guessing you have some connection to our previous staff or are attempting to troll(if that's the case I guess I'm biting and congrats), but you have absolutely no clue on what went on here in Cuero
recently. None.

Just reading this board like I usually do. Cuero is one of those programs that everyone follows, so we all saw your drama and attitude last year. Now your in our district so I am just as interested. You guys posted your dirty laundry last year and talked about your running back, not me.

Just an outside observer of a classic program going through hard couple years, it happens.

FireGraig
09-15-2012, 10:55 AM
We give too much credit to coaches and not enough to kids. The previous coach was good when he had a D1 running back on the field. Not so hot when that young man wasn't there. There is no doubt Cuero has dropped a bit talent wise since the days of Tre Gray. Sometimes a coaching change is for the good, sometimes for the bad, and sometimes it doesn't matter. It still comes down to who lines up on the field.

It is too early to judge the new staff. Having seen Beeville, I would have expected Cuero to beat them by at least 14 on a bad day. CC Ray will be fighting for a playoff spot in a weak district, and they were able to get by them.

Cowboy_Up
09-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Cuero is heading in the right direction, might not be wins right now but i won't be suprise if they're back to where we are all use to seeing Cuero football be at later in the season.

If you think that, you must not have seen the Tyler Arndt (sp?) led gobblers.
Everyone is always talking about the RB, I remember a great QB and well balance offense that ran a pro style and was sharp as possible. And a D that got 5 hats on every ball carrier. Those teams were good and no way, no how this year’s team gets to that level.

I do think they'll get better as they are young and experience helps, but talent is talent whether they are a 10th grader or senior, and stability doesn't return in a few months.

Those Cuero teams of the past were talented and incredibly disciplined. They were fun to watch play, even if they were beating you which is what they were doing to my team. This year's team has the same colored unis, and that's about as close as they are to those great teams of the past. Those teams didn't have the potential to beat you; they flat out kicked your butt.

FireGraig
09-15-2012, 11:32 AM
talent is talent whether they are a 10th grader or senior, and stability doesn't return in a few months.

Those Cuero teams of the past were talented and incredibly disciplined. They were fun to watch play, even if they were beating you which is what they were doing to my team.

Amen brother. I think we would all like to see the Gobblers get back to where they were. Best of luck to Reeves. He is a solid coach, but it is not going to be an instant turn around just because he was hired. I bet he would agree too.

crabman
09-15-2012, 03:49 PM
The problem was last night was the same problem we had with the old Liberty Hill. That damn Slot-T. I hate it with a passion. Unless you had exceptional talent like LH does from time to time, the slot-t will not get you far. What it will do is piss people off and win you a few games along the way. There is one stat from last night that jumps off the page like nothing else. Time of possession. Beeville - 32 minutes. Cuero 16 minutes. We cannot do anything if we cannot get the ball. No interceptions or fumble recoveries for the Gobblers. All we could rely on was a punt from them. Very rarely did that happen. They 3 and four yarded us to death. The occassional 6-8 yarder. Beeville threw 8 well chosen times on the evening and completed 6 of them. They are not that good. They are small. Not particularly fast. Not particularly large. They played well enough to beat us though. We had one interception that went through our guys hands before he even saw the ball. We had five out and out drops. One fumble on the four yard line while trying to tie the game. Beeville's drive after that fumble was 9:20 of the 12 minute fourth quarter.
I had a coach at one of the old Liberty Hill games tell me that Cuero could beat you with skill and speed. Liberty HIll would beat you and demoralize you at the same time. Give up a 80 yard touchdown you get mad and come back. Give up 20 consecutive 4 yard plays and it will suck the life out of you. That is what happened last night. We had the life sucked out of us.
One thing to never underestimate either. Over the years Cuero has beat a lot of people. When you get a year where we are a bit down or vulnerable, other teams sense it and really bring their A game. Beeville had no fumbles, no interceptions, I don't even know if they had a penalty. Their coach had them ready. They executed their game plan and we didn't. We ran the right plays. We were in the right positions. We either did not catch the ball, hold on to the ball, or execute our block perfectly. I have said it in other posts, what our problems are seem to be correctable.
One final thing, we are 1-0 againt 3A opponents. We are 0-2 against 4A opponenets. Our 4A opponents are 4-2. They don't suck. We are not playing down to 2A opposition like some of our counterparts.

All of this being said, we are still light years ahead of last year. We are down on talent but not on desire. We will be just fine. Don't pity the Gobblers.

YTBulldogs
09-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Thank goodness you didn't play Refugio, Edna, H'V or Rice. LOL. Home folks there fear being beaten by a 2A school for some reason. Yeah, them 4A schools you played are some studs for sure Crabman.

Cowboy_Up
09-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Neither Beeville or Vic West would sniff the playoffs in 26-3A. Only reason one of them might make it in their 4A division is because they take 4 teams.

crabman
09-15-2012, 05:04 PM
That is your opinion. They both have the numbers to platoon mostly senior linemen so that nobody has to play offensive line and defensive line. That is where 4A will get you. They can be marginal within their district and still beat up on some 3A teams. 3A to 2A is almost no difference. Lots of kids going both ways. Playing even marginal 4A teams will prepare us better for district than anything else we can do.

Agree to disagree.