PDA

View Full Version : Bandera? Hicks

YTBulldogs
09-11-2012, 06:25 AM
I heard Coach Hicks applied there. True? If so, what's up?

Thank you for Coach Hicks, we are blessed. What an influence? Super positive and he's brought that "I've been a winner attitude" with him, to Yoakum. He and Coach Mann (QB coach) have done an awesome job with our young QB's. Even better having him on the sideline when the QB comes off to talk about the last possession.

stxfan
09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
There is absolutely no controversy. Hicks was a tremendous athlete when he played for Bandera. He comes from an absolutely outstanding family which includes a long list of great athletes. And they are very involved in the community. He student taught at Bandera and was wonderful. I have no first hand knowledge of this but coaches have said its not uncommon to encourage new coaches to go outside their community for awhile. Believe me, he is well liked, did a great job here, and will be a tremendous coach.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks stxfan. Yes, he is an awesome person beyond just coaching. Bandera and his family raised him right. Just was curious if he applied there is all. Thanks again and good luck to your Bulldogs. Very, very happy with the coach we got from Bellville/Cuero as well. Staff is kinda reajuvinated and the kid's are feeding off these new fresh faces encouraging them to finish relentlessly.

bulldog82
09-11-2012, 06:05 PM
I heard Coach Hicks applied there. True? If so, what's up?

Thank you for Coach Hicks, we are blessed. What an influence? Super positive and he's brought that "I've been a winner attitude" with him, to Yoakum. He and Coach Mann (QB coach) have done an awesome job with our young QB's. Even better having him on the sideline when the QB comes off to talk about the last possession.

Got to credit our school board ! They let him get away. He wanted to stay here, even his dad would have stepped down if they hired hin, but they didn't. He could have been the driving factor to get program back in gear. But they don't do or make decisions to help improve the program, guess that's why nobody wants to move here. even the academic end of school is down.

bulldog82
09-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Found out today that the baseball head coach is resigning. Can't keep anyone here !

stxfan
09-13-2012, 08:13 AM
He got a very nice opportunity outside of the school business. Don't make it sound like he was getting out of a bad situation.

Trench Warrior
09-13-2012, 08:48 AM
He liked his job and loved his kids (baseball and football). He has a big family and is trying to support them on a teachers salary. He couldn't pass up this opportunity. It is not all doom and gloom. He will be missed but is supported in his new career. He is a true gentleman.

stxfan
09-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Absolutely right, Trench Warrior. He loved it here and had the program on the right path. Great kids and they love him and hate to see him leave. But, he just couldn't pass up this opportunity.

Also right about not all doom and gloom. Bandera is a super place. It's a wonderful school and a great place to raise a family. And back to Hicks, the board didn't let him get away. There has to be an opening in a position for which he was qualified. His father would have had to step down BEFORE the application. He would do that with no guarantee of being hired. And please, as good of a young coach as Hicks definitely is, highly doubtful a rookie coach is going to turn around a program. Please. Again, it is common to encourage brand new coaches to go outside their home to start a career. Learn under other programs before coming home.

Everybody wishes Bandera would be doing better in football. And you're a fool if you think these coaches don't care. Several have state championship rings, including the HC when he was at Tatum. You think they don't want to taste winning again? They are great men who hate the taste of losing.

For whatever reason, it's been down in Bandera in recent years. But that doesn't mean the school, from the board, administration, coaches, and players, is in complete disarray. Again, it's a terrific place. And teachers and coaches DO want to come here because it's a great town and school.

bulldog82
09-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Absolutely right, Trench Warrior. He loved it here and had the program on the right path. Great kids and they love him and hate to see him leave. But, he just couldn't pass up this opportunity.

Also right about not all doom and gloom. Bandera is a super place. It's a wonderful school and a great place to raise a family. And back to Hicks, the board didn't let him get away. There has to be an opening in a position for which he was qualified. His father would have had to step down BEFORE the application. He would do that with no guarantee of being hired. And please, as good of a young coach as Hicks definitely is, highly doubtful a rookie coach is going to turn around a program. Please. Again, it is common to encourage brand new coaches to go outside their home to start a career. Learn under other programs before coming home.

Everybody wishes Bandera would be doing better in football. And you're a fool if you think these coaches don't care. Several have state championship rings, including the HC when he was at Tatum. You think they don't want to taste winning again? They are great men who hate the taste of losing.

For whatever reason, it's been down in Bandera in recent years. But that doesn't mean the school, from the board, administration, coaches, and players, is in complete disarray. Again, it's a terrific place. And teachers and coaches DO want to come here because it's a great town and school.

Didn't say he didn't like it here or kids didn't like him. willl never fault anyone for uping their situation. It is doom and gloom, school doesn't pay any of their coaches near enough for what they give up, but there are school districts that do and try to hold on to them for the benefit of the school, program, and kids. Now kids have to start over with a new coach . Sounds like Yoakum begs to differ on what hicks has brought to their prgram as a rookie. Why can't he learn under current coaching program? You said it yourself, current coaches have a proven track record. And I never said the coaching is the sole reason for us doing poorly. They are great men and nobody likes losing. My main b***h is getting people and coaches to move hear. I love it here, thats why I moved back to raise my family. So if you were a coach or parent with decent athletic kids would you really pick Bandera over Hondo, Boerne, Kerrville, heck even Medina? And who do you blame when the people in power don't address the issues that to me would matter more than other issues.

YTBulldogs
09-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Brandon is just the right fit here in Yoakum. He is a proven QB himself. Been with a winning program and knows what it takes to achieve such. We have some very talented QB's coming up, and they just love listening to him talk/coach cause he has that fire in the belly and they know he's been a college QB, and trust his knowledge. He and our current QB coach (Mann) work extremely well together during the game on Fridays. One of them are with the QB's full time when they depart from a series on Friday's to go over that prior series and what they are seeing out there. We never really had this before on Friday's, so Coach Hicks is a big benefit to us here in Yoakum. Getting his wife on the staff too was just icing on the cake. She too motivates our girls. They work well as a team.

Maybe Bandera didn't have an opening for her when he applied there before Yoakum bulldog82?

Phantom Stang
09-13-2012, 04:58 PM
This is off topic, but do any of you Bandera folks know Bandera Ya Ya?