PDA

View Full Version : What we learned about Navasota and Coldspring

OldBison75
09-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Even though Navasota won convincingly, there were weaknesses exposed. The offensive line has a lot of work to do to gel into a unit good enough to give the Rattlers the full offensive package. The skill people are as good as any in the State. QB Baker and WR receiver McGinty can make any team look bad. Defensively, the Rattlers are better than they have been in several years and that may be enough to get them to the next level.

Coldspring has a defensive front that is just awesome. Lots of power, lots of skill, and they will come after you like crazy. A little weak behind the front seven. Offensively they have a good group of running backs, but they have to develop some passing to be a true threat this year.

This game makes me believe that Navasota is a team that has the chance to grow into a true contender, but probably is around the fifth best team in the state right now. Coldspring on the other hand, might have dropped in my eyes after the one dimensional offense I saw. I would put Coldspring in between the numer ten and fifteen positions because the defense will win alot of games.

Just some thoughts. What do you guys think?

HEMOTOXIC
09-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Good assessment. Coming in to this season, we knew that the offensive line would be the biggest issue for the Rattlers. Although they aren't bad, there is still a lot of work to be done. Baker can't continue to take sacks like that considering we are just going into week 2. Defensively, I still love what I am seeing from the Rattlers. Just imagine if we can get that offensive line together which will hopefully open up some running lanes.
There is work to be done, as expected, but I still would put Navasota in the top 3-4 teams in the state.

As far a the Trojans go, their run defense is solid! They were exposed tonight going against Baker, McGinty, and Collins in the passing game. Offensively, they will have to find a passing game, point, blank, period. The Trojans will be tough to be against anyone that they play. I'm really interested in the La Marque vs Coldspring game next week.

cowboyandchrist
09-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Good assessment. Coming in to this season, we knew that the offensive line would be the biggest issue for the Rattlers. Although they aren't bad, there is still a lot of work to be done. Baker can't continue to take sacks like that considering we are just going into week 2. Defensively, I still love what I am seeing from the Rattlers. Just imagine if we can get that offensive line together which will hopefully open up some running lanes.
There is work to be done, as expected, but I still would put Navasota in the top 3-4 teams in the state.

As far a the Trojans go, their run defense is solid! They were exposed tonight going against Baker, McGinty, and Collins in the passing game. Offensively, they will have to find a passing game, point, blank, period. The Trojans will be tough to be against anyone that they play. I'm really interested in the La Marque vs Coldspring game next week.
I said all along that the snakes would be one of the final four left standing. I still say Carthage and the Ville will be two of the four also, don't know the fourth one, there are several teams this year that can flat play ball.

Saggy Aggie
09-08-2012, 11:24 AM
LM should beat CS worse than Nav did. LM just made a huge statement last night

HEMOTOXIC
09-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I guess that we will just have to wait and see. Games are about matchups. Will La Marque be able to pass the ball as effectively as Navasota? How is La Marque's defense? Yes, the Coogs made a statement by beating a rival team; but, that's what rivalries are all about. Throw out the records because they mean absolutely nothing in those types of games. If LaMarque is as advertised, yes, they should beat the Trojans.

OldBison75
09-08-2012, 11:43 AM
SA, I agree that LM should beat Coldspring, but I am not sure it will be worse than the Navasota loss. LM was playing a huge rivalry game and I don't think they will be as emotionally high for this week. Coldspring will come back with something to prove. It could be a closer game than we think. LM should win by at least 21.

Pudlugger
09-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Congratulations to the Rattlers for a convincing victory. The snake passing game is lights out. Like a rattler they strike fast, bite hard and are lethal when disturbed. When they get some traction on the run who will be able to stop them?

CTS
09-08-2012, 12:00 PM
SA, I agree that LM should beat Coldspring, but I am not sure it will be worse than the Navasota loss. LM was playing a huge rivalry game and I don't think they will be as emotionally high for this week. Coldspring will come back with something to prove. It could be a closer game than we think. LM should win by at least 21.

Couldn't agree more. Sounds like CS had turnovers...if they eliminate those it will be a game.