PDA

View Full Version : Hallettsville (2-0) @ Yoakum (2-0)

YTBulldogs
09-08-2012, 08:16 AM
H'V very solid passing attack team. Great QB and talented WR. Yoakum's improving pressure secondary with a shutdown corner in Keith Ratley, will be challeneged. Look for Dog's to continue improving each week, preparing for their district opener @ Smithville.

Yoakum must stop the sincless fumbles (backward pass not completed went for 6 on first play of game against Sinton and a "what the hell happened here in the backfield" fumble, that set up another Pirate score. Yes, we will fumble, part of the game, but--these that are preventable have to stop if we are to compete in what appears one of the state's best districts. And Yoakum must lock in (hold your water) on the OL and be able to focus, snap the ball on something other then on hut one. Grrrrrr, that bugs me. Opponents "D" can get the step when they know when it's being snapped. And finally, boneheaded penalties need to be curtailed. I think we had 12 for over 100 yards vs. Sinton

Pudlugger
09-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Yoakum will continue their winning ways with a 14 point victory over the Brahmas.

zebrablue2
09-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Yoakum by 20!!!

Snotbubbles
09-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Yokum 40
H'ville 12

YTBulldogs
09-09-2012, 09:55 AM
If any district team takes an upcoming Friday off when district rolls around, it's an automatic loss IMO. Why it's vital we get our backups in as much as possible. Being the smallest team in the district (wide margin over some) we will need to gain quality depth, not just a hole filler for a series or two to give the #1's a breather during the game. So far, we've been able to play the backups and get their feet wet so to speak.

My area of concern right now, is our DL front four, not getting much pressure on the passer. Our above average LB'ers, and the creme of the crop secondary has done a super job in coverage however.

Regards to Hallettsville, anything can happen with this rival. It's who wants the bragging rights the most in this one.

defense51
09-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Yoakum is playing well and I think they will continue to this week, they win this one 35-21.

Yoe_09
09-09-2012, 10:43 AM
I am interested to see how this one plays out. Hallettsville cruised in their 1st two weeks against pretty good 1A schools(Ganado,Shiner), so stepping up and playing a top 10 team from region IV should let us know more about the Brahmas.

hookandladder
09-09-2012, 11:32 AM
This game will be closer then most think, with it being in Yoakum I will go with the home team by 3.

YTBulldogs
09-10-2012, 11:03 AM
This game will be closer then most think, with it being in Yoakum I will go with the home team by 3.

I think your right too H&L. Always a tough rival game against this talented H'V team, year in, year out. Good news, our most talented player on offense IMO, and a starting secondary player, could be back by district. Been out since getting hurt in first scrimmage against Bellville. Lord I hope!!!! Should know later this week after his trip to doctor in Sugarland for follow up. He (Tre' Hights, a once a couple decades talented Soph), along with Keith Ratley, T.J. Hights and Timmy Blakeny---sure gives our improving QB, Chase Hermes some solid receivers to go to. Pick your poison with these guys. OL has improved weekly, to give QB time to scan, and find the open tall receivers who have blazing speed when they catch it. QB Hermes, being 6'2", sure helps him to look over the line, and find them.

I'll make my predicted score after Wed's practice.

buff4ever
09-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Dawg win, will report later whether it will be by 8 or 28.

YTBulldogs
09-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Dawg win, will report later whether it will be by 8 or 28.

By far closer to 8 than 28 I assure you. 18 miles apart from one another, sure get's team's fired up for this one.

buff4ever
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
By far closer to 8 than 28 I assure you. 18 miles apart from one another, sure get's team's fired up for this one.

I respect that, and it may be more like 15, but I expect you guys have that much more talent than them right now.

YTBulldogs
09-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Depends if we play down like we did last year in games in which we should of played much better in games we had more talent than our opponent did. This years team--their attitude and approach in preparing in practice appears night and day different than last years bunch. We shall soon see if the team remembers that and comes out the gate firing.

Yoakum is clearly aware, we have not accomplished nothing yet. Each man, must improve on a daily basis and not be content with just a certain win. Yoakum set a goal after last years Sam Houston game, and they seem determined to give it hell to achieving it.

YTBulldogs
09-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Was afraid the Dogs would come to practice today and think they'd won state after that win against a very talented Sinton Pirate club. Sure enough, it happened. Dog "D" wasted a couple hours going through the motions. Didn't accomplish anything. No running to the ball, players skipping turns or trying to get out of pass defense drills. Titty bumping contact. I don't get it. Last week, they practiced lights out, with aggressive snotbubble type contact, then played like it that Friday. Appears just like last year. Play a good game, off a game. Grrrrrrr!!! If the leaders don't get this crap stopped, Lavaca County rival Hallettsville will come to the D O G H O U S E and place the Dog's tail between their legs in front of the home folks.

Talked to a few H'V friends this evening, and they are still talking about losing their Homecoming to us last year. Stayed with them all year I guess.

YTBulldogs
09-10-2012, 09:20 PM
To be fair, I can't just dog the "D". In our effort to snap the ball on hut 2 today, we tried it about 8 times I guess and false started 5 times. :vrycnfsd: Had some of those stud WR's, who's horn I tooted about earlier, false start too, from not looking at the dern ball.

Just a pitiful Monday. When your female trainer makes the hardest hit of the day, you know it's not going well I might add. Might have put the kid on the shelf this Friday to boot. Good thing is, they can right all wrongs tomorrow and get back on track if they care to.

Pudlugger
09-11-2012, 07:09 AM
YT you have summed up the biggest bug a boo in hs football. Even bigger than an injury to a key player. That is complacency. When a team gets the notion that they have finished their job "Mission Accomplished" after a big win they set themselves up for a humiliating defeat. This is something I worry about here in La Grange too. The worst case is when you are facing a team that is struggling. It is so much easier to get the players motivated when they are the underdogs with nothing to lose and everything to gain with a big win. That is the Lep situation we face Friday with Royal. I am confident the coaches in Yoakum and La Grange will light a fire under their teams and get them mentally prepared by Friday night. Good luck to the Bulldogs.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2012, 09:35 AM
YT you have summed up the biggest bug a boo in hs football. Even bigger than an injury to a key player. That is complacency. When a team gets the notion that they have finished their job "Mission Accomplished" after a big win they set themselves up for a humiliating defeat. This is something I worry about here in La Grange too. The worst case is when you are facing a team that is struggling. It is so much easier to get the players motivated when they are the underdogs with nothing to lose and everything to gain with a big win. That is the Lep situation we face Friday with Royal. I am confident the coaches in Yoakum and La Grange will light a fire under their teams and get them mentally prepared by Friday night. Good luck to the Bulldogs.

I hope so Pud. In both our team cases. Sure like to see a couple of our seniors be the one's lighting the fire though. :flaming:

Dawgfan64
09-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Can't see the coaches letting bad practice habits get started. We have some good seniors but I still haven't seen them "take on" that leadership role. I agree that they need to be the ones to light that fire BEFORE the coaches have to...heard that H'ville might have had some trouble today at practice also. H'ville won't come in and lay down because we have a winning record...hope we get back to good habits...it's a long season

YTBulldogs
09-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Hey Dawgfan64. Welcome. Glad to have another Yoakumite onboard. Today's practice went very well and aggressive. Big difference. Better get up, cause H'V always plays us tough here. 1 at a time boys.

Cowboy_Up
09-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Hmmmm...have to admit, hoping for multiple overtimes that results in both team agreeing to let the game end in a scoreless tie:wave:

Blue42
09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Dawgs by a TD should be a good one.

YTBulldogs
09-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Hmmmm...have to admit, hoping for multiple overtimes that results in both team agreeing to let the game end in a scoreless tie:wave:

Hey CU, how are you sir? See ya next week I hope. Best wishes to them Cowboys. Refugio pretty salty, huh?

Cowboy_Up
09-11-2012, 11:25 PM
Refugio has a young man who can sling the tater with the best of them, and some quick boys who run good routes. Hurt a bit to have our best DB on the sidelines as we got gashed by a bunch of long plays.
We'll try to find 11 to suit up when you all come to town, just promise not to get all relentless on us.

YTBulldogs
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Refugio has a young man who can sling the tater with the best of them, and some quick boys who run good routes. Hurt a bit to have our best DB on the sidelines as we got gashed by a bunch of long plays.
We'll try to find 11 to suit up when you all come to town, just promise not to get all relentless on us.

Three main starters out this week. One I know one will not play against ya'll (our most talented offensive player, "might" be ready for Smithville, for district opener). Hopefully, the other two (elbow and a hamstring injury) return after the H'V game this Friday when we travel to Cowboy Country? Need them totally prepared for our district, so---I say keep them out till 200% healthy. Yes, love to win these ND games, but--with Smithville, then LGrange looming, have them ready to go fully then is paramount.

Must add: These backing up these starters who are out, sure have plugged in nicely and appears no drop off in production. So, our depth appears to be very reliable. Nice to see. :thumbsup:

YTBulldogs
09-12-2012, 07:37 PM
A "soso" Weds practice. 3 starters out this Friday, rivalry game.

Yoakum 41
H'Ville 21

"D" better come out firing and not wait the first 8 plays to get it going.

Dawgfan64
09-12-2012, 11:27 PM
A "soso" Weds practice. 3 starters out this Friday, rivalry game.

Yoakum 41
H'Ville 21

"D" better come out firing and not wait the first 8 plays to get it going.

If we play the way we are capable...Yoakum 41
H'ville 7

A lot depends on errors and if we fire up...

YTBulldogs
09-13-2012, 09:18 AM
H'V is solid. But, after watching them on HUDL, I just don't see them being as successful against our defense and especially our strong point, the secondary. Offensively, love to see us stop fumbling. 8 in two games not good. Not sure H'V can contain our tall speedster WR's (Ratley/Hights) either. Kinda like, pick your poison. Then, we counter up the gut with one of our 5 used RB's or QB's Hermes/McCracken keeps it when they close down on the RB's. Plus, our OL is getting some of that nasty attitude each week and are improving allowing QB time to throw or creating them running lanes for the RB's. Just like our match up this week. But, your right DF64---which Dog team show's up. The Sinton one? Or, the one we had in LaVernia last year? This is where the seniors must step up and not allow a "LaVernia-like" flat performance to occur.

I had a concern having 3 starters out (1 our best "D" player, other our best "O" player IMO) but, we are blessed having some solid quality depth this year and not just a position filler. I see the Dogs rallying the troops, stepping up for the 3 starters out, and keep's it rolling tomorrow night.

Rain could play a role I guess. We fumble a dry ball, now---get a rain soaked pigskin and who knows? But, that's true for both teams. Ball handlers better get the feel of a wet ball next two day's. Totally different feel. If it's dry no biggie, but---wet, sure like them to know how that feels. Dunk a few old ball's in the old water bucket and give them a feel. If you can handle a wet one, you surely can handle a dry one. Just a little pre-planning.

txsportswriter
09-14-2012, 02:28 AM
I was able to catch one practice this week and had the pleasure of reading all these posts before making my prediction, so here it goes.
Yoakum 28, Hallettsville 13. I don't like the vibes I'm getting in this one, but I still think we pull it out. I think we can blast the Brahmas 41 to 7 if we're healthy and play up to our potential, but I get the feeling our boys are a little over confident and just think they need to show up to win. Even though Hallettsville lost their starting quarterback, I still think Shindler is more than capable at getting the job done. Hallettsville will be ready to play, I can promise you that. Coach Psencik does a great job with his kids. If we don't come to play, we could get upset. AND I TOO THINK OUR SENIORS NEED TO STEP UP AND TAKE CHARGE.

29-3aFAN
09-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Yoakum 41 Halletsville 13

Cowboy_Up
09-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Going to be tough for H'ville with new QB. I think Yoakum wins, but this idea of a blow out? Yoakum folks, you've won a couple of games...your not the '85 bears yet. Your still a grind it out team that wears lesser opponents down and can hang with better teams if you play hard, mistake free football. H'ville can play and they have a stout defense. 41-7? Did you all get some move ins in the last few weeks?
Yoakum 27
H'ville 20

YTBulldogs
09-14-2012, 10:52 AM
LOL. No move-ins CU. Hopefully the oil industry brings us a few in coming years?

Just one of our most talented skilled players in years has us kinda excited. Never had the WR's, height with blazing speed, split out on both sides of the field before. And, the most talented one of all IMO, has yet played in a game. Appears he's coming along in rehab and just hope by district he can add to our talent pool at the skill position.

Our secondary thrives on shutting down our opponents go to recievers. They love the challenge. We must get pressure from our DL though, cause can't expect the secondary to do it all every game. Yes, we are excited about the corp of Bulldogs. They always been successful from youth till now. Hope it continues? See ya next Friday CU.

Cowboy_Up
09-14-2012, 11:41 AM
YT, fair enough. I understand the excitement and I wish Yoakum well. But I've seen what over hype can do and its real easy to think you've arrived when all you've really done is start the journey. A few non district wins does really mean squat, especially in your district. Two years ago Edna went 8-2, was ranked 5th in the AP poll and didn't make the playoffs because they over looked one opponent and got beat in OT. That is how quickly it can turn in a tough district, take one night off, one quarter, one series, and your dreams can get squashed. Your team is better this year, but go in thinking you'll blow out H'ville just because you beat Sinton in a non district game at home, and you'll get your you know what handed to you.

YTBulldogs
09-14-2012, 01:17 PM
I don't see the Dogs overlooking H'V. Some fan's might be though. H'V and Ykm always play hard requardless record and talent level it appears.

buff4ever
09-14-2012, 02:59 PM
dogs win

txsportswriter
09-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Who said 41-7? Guess CU didn't see my prediction of 28-13. I said 41-7 if we played up to our potential and were healthy across the board (which we're not with 3 starters out tonight). I'm still sticking to my 28-13 score for tonight, but with rain, I'd drop that down to 20-13 in favor of Yoakum. Hallettsville is a great team and I wouldn't be at all shocked if they beat us. If our boys take them lightly and just assume we can win by showing up, then we're done. This Hallettsville team went 3 rounds deep last year and they are a hard-nosed team with a great defense. With us beating them last year on their homecoming, they have a chip on their shoulder and will be coming out fired up. I just hope we can match their intensity and play with a little fire under our butts as well. It'll be a good, hard-fought game. GO BULLDOGS!!! RELENTLESS ---- FINISH ------

YTBulldogs
09-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Who said 41-7? Guess CU didn't see my prediction of 28-13. I said 41-7 if we played up to our potential and were healthy across the board (which we're not with 3 starters out tonight). I'm still sticking to my 28-13 score for tonight, but with rain, I'd drop that down to 20-13 in favor of Yoakum. Hallettsville is a great team and I wouldn't be at all shocked if they beat us. If our boys take them lightly and just assume we can win by showing up, then we're done. This Hallettsville team went 3 rounds deep last year and they are a hard-nosed team with a great defense. With us beating them last year on their homecoming, they have a chip on their shoulder and will be coming out fired up. I just hope we can match their intensity and play with a little fire under our butts as well. It'll be a good, hard-fought game. GO BULLDOGS!!! RELENTLESS ---- FINISH ------

I think (Dawgfan64) predicted 41-7?