PDA

View Full Version : High school preseason polls an inaccurate gauge of quality

CTS
09-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Article in the Houston Chronicle today...

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/High-school-preseason-polls-an-inaccurate-gauge-3842866.php

Pendragon13
09-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Duh..I could have told everyone the same thing, but I don't have media backing to get the word out. ;)
Anyway, week 0 rankings are a total shot in the dark with just as many misses as hits...but week 1 won't be totally accurate either since some teams have tougher pre-district schedules than others. The only ranking that really counts is the final one in December..

waterboy
09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
We really won't know how to rank teams until after the final weekend in Jerry World just before Christmas.

Bullaholic
09-06-2012, 10:19 AM
A lot of people don't like polls, but everybody likes to cuss/discuss them, or at least read them---that is the point---without polls there would not be much basis for a lot of the chatter on this forum and others. Some find that kind of discussion pointless or objectionable--I find it a healthly stimulation which gives rise to a broader spectrum of posters, who might otherwise remain silent. More talk (hopefully within limits)= more fun and information for everyone to discuss. I do realize that CTS was talking about the validity of pre-season polls, and not polls in general.

Ville-D
09-06-2012, 10:28 AM
I was in the UK once and this 22 year old Pole was working the hotel front desk and I'd have to say she was one of the prettiest girls I had ever met. First time I had ever been around any Poles, but she seemed like good people and my hotel bill was very accurate.

waterboy
09-06-2012, 10:33 AM
A lot of people don't like polls, but everybody likes to cuss/discuss them, or at least read them---that is the point---without polls there would not be much basis for a lot of the chatter on this forum and others. Some find that kind of discussion pointless or objectionable--I find it a healthly stimulation which gives rise to a broader spectrum of posters, who might otherwise remain silent. More talk (hopefully within limits)= more fun and information for everyone to discuss. I do realize that CTS was talking about the validity of pre-season polls, and not polls in general.

I like reading them, but I never put any stock in them, and never get worked up about them. That's all I'm saying about polls. They are just opinions....., and everybody has them.

defense51
09-06-2012, 12:32 PM
I was in the UK once and this 22 year old Pole was working the hotel front desk and I'd have to say she was one of the prettiest girls I had ever met. First time I had ever been around any Poles, but she seemed like good people and my hotel bill was very accurate.

So your Pole experience was a positive one?

rb585
09-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Yes, do tell. Given that she was 22, she obviously wasn't a high school preseason pole, so we need more details.

garciap77
09-06-2012, 06:46 PM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/b0708.gif

Ville-D
09-06-2012, 08:42 PM

The check-in and restaurant recommendations were great. She definitely didn't match the picture I had in my mind for a polish woman. No offense to any polish women on the boards. I just always thought they would be large neanderthal type women... Live and learn.