PDA

View Full Version : La Marque vs. Texas City

CTS
09-04-2012, 05:37 AM
The Battle by the Bay Friday night at Texas City.....

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/345486

1971Coogs
09-04-2012, 07:07 AM
The Battle by the Bay Friday night at Texas City.....

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/345486One of the many preseason tough opponents Coach Jackson set up for his young Cougar team. Texas City is no slouch, should be quite a battle.

pancho villa
09-04-2012, 08:23 AM
LaMarque will get beat by 4 TD's in this one.

cougartino
09-04-2012, 10:12 AM
LaMarque will get beat by 4 TD's in this one.

Don't let that Texas City-Dickinson score fool you. I'll leave it at that.

HEMOTOXIC
09-04-2012, 10:15 AM
How is TC looking this year?

pancho villa
09-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't think LM can score aginst TC. Way to much talent on Defense.

Saggy Aggie
09-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Gotta pull for Coach Surv and TC on this one.

Hater
09-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Texas City by 17+. This ain't Galveston Ball...

gordo
09-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I am tired of the LM wanta be's talking smack on here. TC 35 LM 7

coog4eva
09-04-2012, 01:13 PM
It will be a good game.......Texas City is still Texas City and La Marque is still La Marque......

CTS
09-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Preview in The Post Newspaper based out of Texas City...

Stings, Cougars look to keep momentum in Battle

by James Fremont
for The POST

TEXAS CITY - Leland Surovik stepped off the field at Sam Vitanza Stadium knowing it won’t be hard to drum up excitement for the next game on the schedule.
“If we can’t get up for this one,” Surovik said after his first game as Texas City Stingarees head coach, “We’re in big trouble.”
Surovik, a former La Marque assistant under former head coach Alan Weddell, will be on the other sideline this time, calling the shots for the Stings. If they bring back home Friday what they brought to Dickinson in a 44-14 season-opening victory, the trouble might be all for visiting La Marque.
Cougars head coach Mike Jackson saw his team win by three possessions in spite of eight fumbles, four of them lost, in a 35-12 victory at La Marque over Ball High.
“Obviously we need to do a better job taking care of the football...and finish drives,” Jackson said. “We can’t continue to make those mistakes.
“This is going to be a great test for us to go on the road and play a team with this much talent and this athletic that has the advantage in numbers and size.”
Keeping the Stings on the schedule in spite of La Marque’s drop to Class 3A wasn’t done for posterity’s sake. The teams have played every season since 1962, and this will be the first nondistrict Battle By The Bay since 1995. That year, the Cougars won its first of five state championships, while Texas City was on the verge of a move to 4A and a run as one of the state’s top teams in that class.
After watching Friday’s rout of the Gators, Jackson is convinced the Stings are poised to return to that level.
“I think Texas City has arrived,” Jackson said. “That is first and foremost. I know the old Texas City and the old Texas City has arrived. They are a 4A powerhouse once again. This is going to be a huge task for us.”
In Texas City’s second year in 4A, both the Stings and Cougars won divisional 4A state championships. This brought what was once little more than a generic, mostly lopsided local rivalry to one of statewide relevance.
La Marque commands a 31-19-3 edge in the series, including a meeting in the 2006 Region III Division II final that the Cougars won by 38-10 score, en route to their most recent state title. What is now called the Battle by the Bay began in 1959 when coaches Ed Staggs of Texas City and Orville Etheredge of La Marque decided a difference in classifications didn’t mean these two schools shouldn’t play on the same football field. It was only interrupted once, in 1961, due to flooding and damage caused by Hurricane Carla.
Just like in the old days, the two schools face off in spite of La Marque having roughly half the enrollment of Texas City.
Jackson said Texas City’s edge goes beyond numbers.
“Honestly, if you look on paper,” Jackson said, “They have every advantage you would want. They’re a 4A school with great numbers, great athletes on their side of the ball. We have to go over there and they return so many playmakers. And now they’re playing those kids some on defense too, getting a lot of athletes on the field.
“Everyone knew this was their year to come back to prominence. It’s going to be a monumental task for us.”
Texas City broke many big plays on the ground and threw the ball enough to keep the Gators from stacking the box against the Stings’ powerful ground game. Quarterback Andrew Allen ran for two touchdowns and threw for another, and senior tailback Everick Rawls rushed for 172 yards on 17 carries for a touchdown. Donald Lynch and Joseph Valdez also ran for touchdowns.
Houston Chavez transfer Demun Mercer’s skills were on display in Thursday’s locally televised La Marque victory over Ball. He threw 11 passes and had only one incompletion, gaining 207 yards with three touchdowns.
But the Cougars’ turnover woes put the pressure on La Marque’s defense, whose experience and depth - by 3A standards - put the team at No. 2 in The Associated Press’ rankings for their new class. Stopping Texas City’s offense will be up to that unit, led up front by senior linemen Lawrence Montegut and Mike Parker, and in the secondary by Devon Hayward, Will Chapman and Reggie Franklin.
Montegut recorded a sack and Chapman caught an interception in addition to his touchdown pass playing on offense. La Marque will have to lean on them again against the Stings, who scored touchdowns on five straight drives after getting a field goal and touchdown on their first two, followed by an interception on the next which was Texas City’s lone turnover.
“They come at you in waves,” Jackson said. “We may not face a more talented team however long we play in the playoffs. It’s hard to face a team with this much talent. People who watch football can tell. We’re going to have to play a very clean football game to be in this one.”
Surovik arrived in Texas City from 3A Columbia - one of the Cougars’ new district rivals - and brought a system for using his best players on both sides of the ball.
Friday, he worked on the desirable problem of having many players who can make plays running the ball, and want to keep taking it in handoffs from Allen - that is, when he’s not running it himself or throwing it.
It’s only a problem because there’s just one football.
“We’ve got a few running backs and we want to get (the ball) to as many as we can,” Surovik said. “That’s always a chore, because they’re never satisfied with how many carries they get. We’ve just got to roll them in and get them their touches, and keep everyone fresh that way.”
The Cougars don’t plan to back down, but they will have to control the ball better than last week and figure out how to use their experienced defense to contain Texas City’s attack.
“We’re La Marque, and we’re going to come to compete,” Jackson said. “This is why the game’s on the schedule. I, as a coach, want to see our kids put in adverse situations and see how they respond.”
Texas City and La Marque may now separated by one classification based on enrollment numbers. But come the end of Friday night, the only numbers that will matter will be on the scoreboard at Stingaree Stadium.

cougartino
09-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah. We're used to the haters.

Let me also add: WE AIN'T DICKINSON

yellaseeker
09-04-2012, 06:43 PM
TC wins it with a cushion.

1971Coogs
09-04-2012, 07:13 PM
I am tired of the LM wanta be's talking smack on here. TC 35 LM 7
Can I be a Wanta Be?

Hater
09-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Blah, Blah, Blah. We're used to the haters.

I hate haters.

gordo
09-05-2012, 07:56 AM
I got some scoop from an inside source! TC is going to put their foot on the gas and not let up. (poor coogs)

Fastglen
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Wishing that 4A TC beats up 3A La Marque will only bring misery for any 3A team on La Marque's schedule. If you haven't figured that out yet, you're in for a long district and playoff season. Perhaps you should check out the balance of La Marque's pre district schedule to get an idea of the master plan for a trip to Dallas. I'm not saying that they can execute it this early in the season, but it is the strategy being employed. Just a note.......Tyler John Tyler was originally scheduled but the timing was off for both teams.

gordo
09-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Wishing that 4A TC beats up 3A La Marque will only bring misery for any 3A team on La Marque's schedule. If you haven't figured that out yet, you're in for a long district and playoff season. Perhaps you should check out the balance of La Marque's pre district schedule to get an idea of the master plan for a trip to Dallas. I'm not saying that they can execute it this early in the season, but it is the strategy being employed. Just a note.......Tyler John Tyler was originally scheduled but the timing was off for both teams.

Did you really post this? Any 3A team playing LaMarque only plays them once. So how does that equate to a long district season. Also a long playoff season is a good thing. were you edgeamacated(educated) in LM?

cougartino
09-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Did you really post this? Any 3A team playing LaMarque only plays them once. So how does that equate to a long district season. Also a long playoff season is a good thing. were you edgeamacated(educated) in LM?

I know that guy. I wouldn't mess with him if I were you.

Hater
09-05-2012, 10:15 AM
I know that guy. I wouldn't mess with him if I were you.

Gasp! Is he a big ole boy?!?!

Fastglen
09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I won't address your confusion of any 3A team compared to a single 3A team, but I will match educational degrees with you at your discretion.

cougartino
09-05-2012, 02:03 PM
I won't address your confusion of any 3A team compared to a single 3A team, but I will match educational degrees with you at your discretion.

I tried!

HEMOTOXIC
09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I absolutely have no dog in this fight; but, why is there so much HATE towards La Marque? Am I missing something?

Saggy Aggie
09-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I absolutely have no dog in this fight; but, why is there so much HATE towards La Marque? Am I missing something?

I'm not hating. I think it'll be a good game, advantage to TC though.

I'm just rooting for TC because WC's old AD/HC is now their AD/HC.

Any other team, and im probably rooting for D-24 & LM.

cougartino
09-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Same reason why folks hate the Cowboys, Steelers, Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, and Duke.

HEMOTOXIC
09-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Not you Saggie...

There's a difference in someone giving their opinion on who they think will win, which is fine with me. I am moreso questioning Gordo's motive.

coog4eva
09-05-2012, 02:22 PM

He's also a former LM coach.....from my era kind of.......as I stated before TC is still TC and LM is still LM.....

HEMOTOXIC
09-05-2012, 02:26 PM
He's also a former LM coach.....from my era kind of.......as I stated before TC is still TC and LM is still LM.....

Got ya. Well, no matter the outcome, this game will only make both teams stronger in the end. Good luck to both teams! Hopefully, LM & TC will have an injury free game.

Ville-D
09-05-2012, 02:28 PM
LM by 3

Saggy Aggie
09-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Correct, back in the glory days.

I think its going to be a good game, but i think TC is going to have a great year. Extremely talented team. I know LM is excellent too, but i think TC is too strong this year.

I'll say this though, IF LM wins... oh boy... 3A is going to have their work cut out for them.

Ville-D
09-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Same reason why folks hate the Cowboys, Steelers, Yankees, Celtics, Lakers, and Duke.

And Stephenville. ;) lol

cougartino
09-05-2012, 04:22 PM
And Stephenville. ;) lol

See I don't hate either. You guys won those games against us fair and square. I don't hate Aledo either. Now our DC who for some strange reason decided the matador scheme would work against Gray, and never changed it when it was obvious it wasn't, well...

Roughneck93
09-05-2012, 05:26 PM
This game is a toss up.

Whoever wins does so by 3 points.

garciap77
09-05-2012, 08:22 PM
LaMarque will get beat by 4 TD's in this one. Or more...................!http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/dancing-banana.gif

Hater
09-05-2012, 08:58 PM

It's not just LaMarque, I hate everyone.

CTS
09-05-2012, 09:04 PM
It's not just LaMarque, I hate everyone.

That is awesome!! LOL

In all seriousness I see this one as a tough game for LM. If they win Friday and next week against Coldspring then watch out. By that's two big ifs.

speedbump
09-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Lm 22 - TC 17

1971Coogs
09-06-2012, 07:14 AM
And Stephenville. ;) lol
Smooth.....I like your style :clap:

1971Coogs
09-06-2012, 07:17 AM

Well you see, it all started in the Garden of Eden. Then this rattlesnake came sneaking up....well it all went downhill from there:stirpot:

HEMOTOXIC
09-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Well you see, it all started in the Garden of Eden. Then this rattlesnake came sneaking up....well it all went downhill from there:stirpot:

Haha. Are you sure that it was a Rattler?

gordo
09-06-2012, 08:04 AM

And would that be a degree from TDCJ? (Texas Department of Criminal Justice)

1971Coogs
09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Haha. Are you sure that it was a Rattler?That's what Eve told Adam !

cougartino
09-06-2012, 09:57 AM
And would that be a degree from TDCJ? (Texas Department of Criminal Justice)

Heads up!

Ville-D
09-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Heads up!

It is obvious that Gordo is trolling - probably one of the regular users hiding behind an different screen name.

CTS
09-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Ville-D I think you're right about the trolling thing. Sounds like that gentleman has some personal issues regarding LM.

And I want LM to win every game, just like I'm sure you want the Ville to. That being said, I'd rather see them play quality non-district games than beat up on inferior people. If we lose one or two will I like it? No. But if it makes us better and gets us ready for the playoffs, of course I can accept it.

Ville-D
09-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Ville-D I think you're right about the trolling thing. Sounds like that gentleman has some personal issues regarding LM.

And I want LM to win every game, just like I'm sure you want the Ville to. That being said, I'd rather see them play quality non-district games than beat up on inferior people. If we lose one or two will I like it? No. But if it makes us better and gets us ready for the playoffs, of course I can accept it.

:ditto:

pancho villa
09-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I hear TC has a stud reciever. Can LM cover him?

regaleagle
09-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Hey Sville, I think you forgot that LM goes DII in the playoffs. The Yellowjackets wouldn't face them anyway. Now Navasota is a different story, as is Alvarado, or perhaps a Gilmer, or whoever makes it out of Region 2 in DII. So frankly, Sville, you shouldn't give a HOOVER DAM. Or Ville-D or any of you VILLE-agers over there.:wave:

cougartino
09-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I hear TC has a stud reciever. Can LM cover him?

We did last year and most of our DB's returned.

Ville-D
09-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Hey Sville, I think you forgot that LM goes DII in the playoffs. The Yellowjackets wouldn't face them anyway. Now Navasota is a different story, as is Alvarado, or perhaps a Gilmer, or whoever makes it out of Region 2 in DII. So frankly, Sville, you shouldn't give a HOOVER DAM. Or Ville-D or any of you VILLE-agers over there.:wave:

What are you talking about? With the district LM is in everybody knows they will be D2. Who said any different? Quote? Did you forget your Geritol this morning? So I cannot comment on a LM thread since we are D1 and they are D2? I'm lost.

1971Coogs
09-06-2012, 12:17 PM
What are you talking about? With the district LM is in everybody knows they will be D2. Who said any different? Quote? Did you forget your Geritol this morning? So I cannot comment on a LM thread since we are D1 and they are D2? I'm lost.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410JA5X2D5L..jpg

CTS
09-07-2012, 05:55 AM
http://galvestondailynews.com/story/346110

CTS
09-07-2012, 11:08 PM
I got some scoop from an inside source! TC is going to put their foot on the gas and not let up. (poor coogs)

I sure am glad TC kept their foot on the gas gordo. Nice inside scoop. :)

Gsquared
09-07-2012, 11:19 PM
I sure am glad TC kept their foot on the gas gordo. Nice inside scoop. :)
impressive win by LM!!! Texas City has some athletes!! Looking forward to coming down to LM next Friday.

1971Coogs
09-07-2012, 11:24 PM
TEXAS CITY - Despite La Marque becoming a 3A school, there was no doubt it would face its 4A nemesis Texas City in the annual Battle by the Bay as a non-district contest.
By the third quarter, there was also little question who the better team was as the Cougars rolled to a 34-21 win Friday night at Stingaree Stadium.
"If I didn't schedule Texas City, the people of La Marque would string me up," La Marque coach Mike Jackson (http://www.chron.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fhighschool&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Mike+Jackson%22) said. "This game has to be played. These are the types of games that gets your team better. Make no mistake, we can't relax. There's no crème puffs on our schedule."
La Marque did little to disguise its philosophy on offense.
A heavy dose of quarterback Denum Mercer (http://www.chron.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fhighschool&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Denum+Mercer%22) and running back Ladarrian Ellis-Jones (http://www.chron.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fhighschool&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Ladarrian+Ellis-Jones%22) combined for four touchdowns and 201 of La Marque's 222 rushing yards.
"Our mindset is that we're going to wear you down," Jackson said. "If I sense that we can wear a team down, it's like chopping a tree. We're going to keep chopping and chopping and eventually those things open up."
The third quarter was a combination of a Texas City collapse and an overpowering performance by the Cougars.
Will Chapman's interception return for a touchdown and two blocked punts directly resulted in 21 points for La Marque, giving the Cougars a 27-point edge to start the fourth quarter.
Jackson, who is in his second year as La Marque's coach, has won two straight rivalry games against Texas City.
"That's a testament to my kids and my coaches," he said. "My coordinators did a great job of making adjustments at halftime. It's 7-7 at the half and then you look up and it's 34-7. We're lucky to have one of the strongest staffs I've ever seen. Tonight showed that with 27 unanswered points."
Texas City attempted to battle back in the fourth quarter with a pair of touchdowns.
With 10 minutes remaining, Deshaun Rawls (http://www.chron.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fhighschool&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Deshaun+Rawls%22) scored on a 4-yard run. On the Stings' next drive quarterback Andrew Allen (http://www.chron.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fhighschool&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Andrew+Allen%22) connected with Tate Smith (http://www.chron.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fhighschool&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Tate+Smith%22) for a 16-yard touchdown making it a 13-point game.
But after a La Marque punt, the Texas City offense threw three straight incompletions. On fourth down, defensive end Lawrence Montegut (http://www.chron.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports%2Fhighschool&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Lawrence+Montegut%22) sacked Allen causing a turnover on downs.
"That's football," Jackson said. "They're a 4A program that's going to go many rounds in the playoffs. But we think we can line up and play smash mouth with anybody in the state.
"We were determined that we were going to come in here and play it the right way because this is a monumental task, to come into Texas City and beat them. They have arrived, they're a powerhouse team and they're doing a great job. That being said, we're still La Marque."

CTS
09-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I told Coach Jackson to look for you at the Sweeny-Kilgore game.

1971Coogs
09-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Or more...................!http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/dancing-banana.gifHmmm

garciap77
09-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Hmmm

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Sports/3.gif

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/congratulations-008-1.gif

yellaseeker
09-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Good thing i kinda like crow. Guess TC knows where they stand and La Marque does too, for that matter. Would like to have seen it with my own eyes to make my own judgement of each team.

1971Coogs
09-08-2012, 09:59 PM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Sports/3.gif

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/congratulations-008-1.gifhttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuVOlcv4_9MpzUpAJoa11krNOipcrGk iZ4n1H49y3Oks5NcPPfrA

cougartino
09-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Don't let that Texas City-Dickinson score fool you. I'll leave it at that.

Like Moses, I preached but the congregation wouldn't listen. :nerd: