PDA

View Full Version : This is why I think high school polls are useless

ctown81
09-01-2012, 11:49 AM
This next week will show why I think high school polls are useless.

Stephenville may not even crack the top 5 after their lost friday, which is comical b/c they lost to a team that no other 3a school can beat. Maybe the poll voters will be kind but I doubt it. In my opinion Stephenville should still be number 1 after this week. When the dust settles in Division 1, I still feel it will be Stephenville vs. Carthage. Stephenville will probably be 0-2 after next week when they lose to another power house and as for my bulldogs. I predict an 8-2 season. We RARELY have it together this early.

toddg
09-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Stephenville may not even crack the top 5 after their lost friday, which is comical b/c they lost to a team that no other 3a school can beat. Maybe the poll voters will be kind but I doubt it. In my opinion Stephenville should still be number 1 after this week. When the dust settles in Division 1, I still feel it will be Stephenville vs. Carthage. Stephenville will probably be 0-2 after next week when they lose to another power house and as for my bulldogs. I predict an 8-2 season. We RARELY have it together this early.

you dont know that..you have never seen them play...you turn the ball over your going to lose to decent teams..unless your La Marque.

ctown81
09-01-2012, 12:06 PM
you dont know that..you have never seen them play...you turn the ball over your going to lose to decent teams..unless your La Marque.

You're right. That's an overstatement but I think that team plays HP next week that will tell a lot. Just find it funny how teams who play scrubs and teams who play a tougher game are judged in the same way.

Saggy Aggie
09-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Well there's a lot to be said for playing well and winning or not playing well and still winning (LM).

No one is writing off sville but what about last night convinces you they're still #1 material?

rb585
09-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Stephenville may not even crack the top 5 after their lost friday, which is comical b/c they lost to a team that no other 3a school can beat.

Technically you're right, because no other 3A team is on their schedule, but that's the nicest thing I can say about your analysis.

ctown81
09-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Never said they were number 1 material. I think being number 1 means nothing in my opinion. The point of my post is the absurdity of polls and how meaningless they are. People seem to think going 10-0 equals being the best. As teams lose they will be replaced with teams that are winning which seems silly to me at this point. That's all.

To me polls are only useful in the preseason and after week 1 they become pretty useless IMO

ctown81
09-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Technically you're right, because no other 3A team is on their schedule, but that's the nicest thing I can say about your analysis.

Glad you had something nice to say about my analysis. Guess I will rest a little better tonight.

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Never said they were number 1 material. I think being number 1 means nothing in my opinion. The point of my post is the absurdity of polls and how meaningless they are. People seem to think going 10-0 equals being the best. As teams lose they will be replaced with teams that are winning which seems silly to me at this point. That's all.

To me polls are only useful in the preseason and after week 1 they become pretty useless IMO

Well, polls are not TOTALLY useless. For instance, when the polls come out and predict the top 10 or 15 in the state, the eventual winner of state almost always comes from that group. It's just when the season is young and when the teams are evenly matched do the polls get a little more of a guess. But make no mistake, the polls are accurate in the macro...not perfect, but still accurate on the whole.

Pendragon13
09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Well, polls are not TOTALLY useless. For instance, when the polls come out and predict the top 10 or 15 in the state, the eventual winner of state almost always comes from that group. It's just when the season is young and when the teams are evenly matched do the polls get a little more of a guess. But make no mistake, the polls are accurate in the macro...not perfect, but still accurate on the whole.Pre-season polls are a crap shoot at best at any level up to and including the NFL. It seems the college formula is used for high schools, and I don't think it works as well. But I do agree that it would be rare for at least one of the top 10 in pre-season to not be there playing for a championship when it's all said and done..

ctown81
09-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Well, polls are not TOTALLY useless. For instance, when the polls come out and predict the top 10 or 15 in the state, the eventual winner of state almost always comes from that group. It's just when the season is young and when the teams are evenly matched do the polls get a little more of a guess. But make no mistake, the polls are accurate in the macro...not perfect, but still accurate on the whole.

i did say in my post that the preseason polls are the only useful ones to me. I understand your point but anyone can pick a top 15, I just talk about the all the hoopla with the top 5 spots and how much people get offended and proud over rankings.

defense51
09-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Personally I think it's much easier to roll through the season under the radar and not in the spotlight. The top ten rankings just put more pressure on a team and can have adverse effects at times. It's good to see a team get the recognition and respect of a top poll position, but it has no impact on who brings home the big trophy in December.

Old Tiger
09-02-2012, 11:24 AM
polls are fun....preseason polls are pointless.

wimbo_pro
09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
i did say in my post that the preseason polls are the only useful ones to me. I understand your point but anyone can pick a top 15, I just talk about the all the hoopla with the top 5 spots and how much people get offended and proud over rankings.

Top 5...you have a good point.

FireGraig
09-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Rather be rated top 15 than bottom 15. :blush:

Most of it is hogwash. You could be 3rd in your district and better than 90% of teams in the state.

regaleagle
09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Polls are for the fans and something to feel good about for the moment. It's a week by week event in high school, and there's no harm done. The players still need to perform on the field, and the polls give us all something to shoot for....whether our team is ranked or we are playing one that is. OR maybe becoming ranked eventually.

Sville
09-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Good example of this is Aledo last year we beat them 48-47 to open the year and Lake Travis stomped them a couple of weeks later to start 1-2. They fell out of the top 10 and got some personnel issues on defense squared away and went on to win 13 straight and 3-peat. That defense that gave up 48 to Sville, 62 to LT, and 42 to Birdville had some position changes and didn't give more than 28 their whole playoff run.

The benefit to playing good teams now is you find out your weaknesses now instead of during the playoffs. It is very good possibility my Jackets finish non-district with a 2-3 or 3-2 record but I bet they will be playing December football anyways.

toddg
09-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Good example of this is Aledo last year we beat them 48-47 to open the year and Lake Travis stomped them a couple of weeks later to start 1-2. They fell out of the top 10 and got some personnel issues on defense squared away and went on to win 14 straight and 3-peat. That defense that gave up 48 to Sville, 62 to LT, and 42 to Birdville had some position changes and didn't give more than 28 their whole playoff run.

The benefit to playing good teams now is you find out your weaknesses now instead of during the playoffs. It is very good possibility my Jackets finish non-district with a 2-3 or 3-2 record but I bet they will be playing December football anyways.

i dont doubt that at all.

Inmateboss
09-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Personally I think it's much easier to roll through the season under the radar and not in the spotlight. The top ten rankings just put more pressure on a team and can have adverse effects at times. It's good to see a team get the recognition and respect of a top poll position, but it has no impact on who brings home the big trophy in December.

You got that right! I agree totally!!!

ogg
09-02-2012, 10:12 PM

Highschool poll mean nothing, esp. pre season. They're a joke.