PDA

View Full Version : How the Top 10 fared

garciap77
09-01-2012, 09:48 AM
CLASS 3A
1. Stephenville (0-1) lost to Monterrey Tech, Mexico 27-17.

2. La Marque (1-0) beat Galveston Ball 35-12.

3. Carthage (0-1) lost to Jacksonville 34-30.

4. Coldspring-Oakhurst (1-0) beat Houston King 21-13.

5. Navasota (1-0) beat Willis 42-0.

6. Wimberley (1-0) beat Llano 27-26.

7. Argyle (0-1) lost to Abilene Wylie 31-14.

8. Waco La Vega (1-0) beat Palestine 24-23.

9. Alvarado (1-0) beat Bridgeport 64-13.

10. Celina (0-0) at Melissa, Saturday.

Bosqueville
09-01-2012, 09:56 AM
After Friday night my top 5 would be..

1. Navasota
2. Alvarado
3. Celina (even though they haven't played)
4. La Marque
5. El Campo

garciap77
09-01-2012, 09:58 AM

1. Navasota
2. Alvarado
4. La Marque
5. El Campo

No Stephenville in the Top 5?

Bosqueville
09-01-2012, 10:00 AM
No Stephenville in the Top 5?

No as I believe they will be 0-2 by next Saturday.

garciap77
09-01-2012, 10:09 AM
No as I believe they will be 0-2 by next Saturday.:eek:

Saggy Aggie
09-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I'd put WC in the top 5. Lots of fumbles, but nothing that can't be fixed. They were favored to win by 19 against a 4A school and had 44 points at halftime.

WC put a pretty thorough ass whippin on Bport last night...

orange machine
09-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Good chance Sville could have 3 or 4 losses before district starts.

hollywood
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
See, this is where I have to say the top 10 or top 25 for that matter is hard to gage. It's difficult to predict this early in the season. If one could review each teams film and get a better look at all the teams play after week 0, it would be a better prediction. That's impossible. It's mostly subjective as we all know and that's where homerism and/or returning starters comes in to the equations.

As for Stephenville, way to many mistakes judging from history. But then again, it was the first Varsity start for many players and most don't know much about Monterrey Tech. Many I've talked to think MT would be a top 10 4A easily. I would agree after seeing them play. Very strong, good size on both O-line and D-line and lots of speed. Almost flawless execution. The best fundimentaly sound open field tackling I've witnessed in a very long time. Their defense flies around the field and can hit. Offensively, they can move the ball. QB is on the smaller side but very accurate passer. RB's were very quick and strong. Ran north and south. They'd hit hard, knocked players in the dirt, then pat them on the back and help them up on both offense and defense. Class act team. Even with all the missed asignments, mistakes and turnovers, Stephenville was still there in the end to have a chance to drive down for the win. Don't count out the Jackets this year. The next 2 weeks will tell a lot about how they will be this season. Young players are having to learn the speed of them game. MT will prove out how good they really are after playing HP and Aledo in weeks 1 and 2.

Gonna be a fun year! Good luck to all teams and can't wait for post season. Play off HS football is addictive!

ctown81
09-01-2012, 11:43 AM

1. Navasota
2. Alvarado
4. La Marque
5. El Campo

Rankings are so useless and this proves why. Stephenville is still the best team in 3A, but because they lost to a team that probably no other 3A to beat they will probably be out of the top 5. SMH

OldBison75
09-01-2012, 11:48 AM
I am a Navasota Rattler fan and even though I am excited by what I see, I don't think they are the number one team right now. They may reach that level later in the year, but not right now. I think there are about eight teams that still have a legitimate right to claim number one this early.
And, for the record, I still think Stephenville is in that top eight. I will reserve judgement on just how high after a couple more weeks.

Saggy Aggie
09-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Rankings are so useless and this proves why. Stephenville is still the best team in 3A, but because they lost to a team that probably no other 3A to beat they will probably be out of the top 5. SMH

I mean I guess you can look at that way but I saw where a sville guy was saying that the jackets were just clearly overrated...

COBRAFOOTBALL
09-01-2012, 11:56 AM
I mean I guess you can look at that way but I saw where a sville guy was saying that the jackets were just clearly overrated...I watched Stephenville scrimmage Granbury and they were sharp. Thats why I was surprised to see them lose last night. Looking at the stats seemed like Sville was just not ready for this game or quite possibly overlooked them. They will be just fine. They may start 0-2 but its not how you start. Its how you finish that counts. I feel they will drop to 5 or 6 in the polls thats all. And Im sure there are plenty of 3A teams that could beat the Mexico team.

hollywood
09-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I mean I guess you can look at that way but I saw where a sville guy was saying that the jackets were just clearly overrated...

As it appeared at this point, yes. Too many mistakes. But, sometimes those mistakes are forced when playing a more superiour team. If S'ville played another top 10 ranked 3A team of more comparison, could have been a different outcome. Next few weeks will tell.

hollywood
09-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I watched Stephenville scrimmage Granbury and they were sharp. Thats why I was surprised to see them lose last night. Looking at the stats seemed like Sville was just not ready for this game or quite possibly overlooked them. They will be just fine. They may start 0-2 but its not how you start. Its how you finish that counts. I feel they will drop to 5 or 6 in the polls thats all. And Im sure there are plenty of 3A teams that could beat the Mexico team.

Good assessment. But are you sure about plenty of 3A teams? Have you seen Monterrey Tech play?

Saggy Aggie
09-01-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't think many 3A teams could beat MT, but I'd say if any of the top 10 teams played a well executed game they could beat MT

hollywood
09-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't think many 3A teams could beat MT, but I'd say if any of the top 10 teams played a well executed game they could beat MT

I agree

toddg
09-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Good assessment. But are you sure about plenty of 3A teams? Have you seen Monterrey Tech play?

what are you going to say after HP and Aledo beats them? that they are a top ten 3a team because only a top ten 3a team is capable of beating Stephenville or Carthage...sounds like alligator mouths overloading hummingbird butts to me.

Bosqueville
09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I watched Stephenville scrimmage Granbury and they were sharp. Thats why I was surprised to see them lose last night. Looking at the stats seemed like Sville was just not ready for this game or quite possibly overlooked them. They will be just fine. They may start 0-2 but its not how you start. Its how you finish that counts. I feel they will drop to 5 or 6 in the polls thats all. And Im sure there are plenty of 3A teams that could beat the Mexico team.

Ummm... It was Granbury. Texas school for the blind could beat the Pirates.

YTBulldogs
09-01-2012, 02:31 PM
1. El Campo
2. West Columbia
3. LaMarque
4. Navasota
5. Alvarado
6. Wimberley
7. S'ville
8. Bellville
9. Gonzales
10. Sealy

87coog
09-01-2012, 05:48 PM
the thing on this topic guys is it's so early in the season you can't judge these teams on common opponants yet. how good is Willis who Navasoto rolled, typical El Campo team to me who La Marque beats year in and year out on a routine basis. LM themselves face a loaded tough Texas City team this week. As for Monterrey Tech, it's New Mexico, I have never known New Mexico to be a national power house. it's just too soon and it does not mean much because alot of the 3a powers are playing teams above their classification. LM will face a tough Lamar Condsolidated in 3 weeks on the road.

ccmom
09-01-2012, 06:10 PM
the thing on this topic guys is it's so early in the season you can't judge these teams on common opponants yet. how good is Willis who Navasoto rolled, typical El Campo team to me who La Marque beats year in and year out on a routine basis. LM themselves face a loaded tough Texas City team this week. As for Monterrey Tech, it's New Mexico, I have never known New Mexico to be a national power house. it's just too soon and it does not mean much because alot of the 3a powers are playing teams above their classification. LM will face a tough Lamar Condsolidated in 3 weeks on the road.
MT is in MEXICO...not New Mexico. Carry on...

WOS87
09-01-2012, 07:53 PM
So great to have LaMarque in the same classification again!! Would be awesome to have a WO-S/LaMarque tilt in the playoffs for the first time since 2000. Word of warning to LaMarque and Stephenville.. 4A teams who have dropped down have not had the best success in their inaugural 3A seasons despite the preseason #1 rankings so being humble is my advice to you if you don't wanna get burned. WO-S learned that the hard way in 2004, Brownwood learned that as well... but we're nice here despite a few major trolls and calls for eating crow and every year 3A is becoming more and more like the 4A of the late '80's and '90's... just need Calallen and Highland Park here and we're set. =D

Good luck to you all... I'm slowly trying to get back into updating my histories and hopefully will have a bigger presence on the site than I have in the past 2 seasons.

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 07:57 PM
So great to have LaMarque in the same classification again!! Would be awesome to have a WO-S/LaMarque tilt in the playoffs for the first time since 2000. Word of warning to LaMarque and Stephenville.. 4A teams who have dropped down have not had the best success in their inaugural 3A seasons despite the preseason #1 rankings so being humble is my advice to you if you don't wanna get burned. WO-S learned that the hard way in 2004, Brownwood learned that as well... but we're nice here despite a few major trolls and calls for eating crow and every year 3A is becoming more and more like the 4A of the late '80's and '90's... just need Calallen and Highland Park here and we're set. =D

Good luck to you all... I'm slowly trying to get back into updating my histories and hopefully will have a bigger presence on the site than I have in the past 2 seasons.

Nice to see you here WOS87!

hollywood
09-01-2012, 07:58 PM

Like your post WOS87! I agree