PDA

View Full Version : New Helmet Rule

FB-fanatic
09-01-2012, 08:53 AM
The new helmet rule reared it's ugly head already in our first game last night vs. Madisonville. After our QB's third consecutive rush of five yards or more, Madisonville ripped his headgear off his head. Out he came and in comes our backup. Took two plays before the trainer tweaked the facemask back in shape and he went back in. This did not cost us the game, but watch, this rule has to go away.

Rabid Cougar
09-01-2012, 09:00 AM
There certainly wasn't as many helmets coming off last night as in the past.

mwynn05
09-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Maybe kids will actually but their helmets on correctly now.. I kinda like it in some ways.. Rabid are you going to BR today?

YTBulldogs
09-01-2012, 10:33 AM
The new helmet rule reared it's ugly head already in our first game last night vs. Madisonville. After our QB's third consecutive rush of five yards or more, Madisonville ripped his headgear off his head. Out he came and in comes our backup. Took two plays before the trainer tweaked the facemask back in shape and he went back in. This did not cost us the game, but watch, this rule has to go away.

Great rule. I'm sure you didn't mind the 15 yard penalty when they "ripped" it off. For sure, during the first 2 scrimmages and last nights opener---I have not seen one head gear come off like before. Great safety addition the coaches came up with IMO.

Saggy Aggie
09-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I didn't see any helmets come off last night...

Pendragon13
09-01-2012, 10:40 AM
I agree with blowing the whistle and teaching the kids to stop immediately when a helmet comes off, but having them sit out when no obvious injury occurs is a little excessive. I lost my helmet plenty of times, and know that unless you actually get hit in the head while it's off...the worst that happens is your nose getting tweaked by the chinstrap..

Roughneck93
09-01-2012, 10:41 AM

There was one for BPort, a lineman, but I didn't notice if he left the field or not. Forgot that was a new rule...

Rabid Cougar
09-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Maybe kids will actually but their helmets on correctly now.. I kinda like it in some ways.. Rabid are you going to BR today?
Would love to have gone. I played there when I was at ATM and it was a blast!

No.90 did not travel. They held him out due a torn pec he suffered back in June. He was cleared Thursday and will play in the home opener next Saturday.

YTBulldogs
09-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree with blowing the whistle and teaching the kids to stop immediately when a helmet comes off, but having them sit out when no obvious injury occurs is a little excessive. I lost my helmet plenty of times, and know that unless you actually get hit in the head while it's off...the worst that happens is your nose getting tweaked by the chinstrap..

Helmets coming off due to certain hairdo's, loose chin straps, and a helmet sized a size or two too large--was getting excessive. Coaches will be duck taping their stud's helmet on to prevent them from leaving for a play. LOL. It will be really noticeable during the college games, which was ton's worse than at the HS level. I'm almost certain, a college kid has to depart a play too if the helmet comes off.

Inmateboss
09-01-2012, 11:25 AM

We had 2-3 during the Graham Mineral wells game!! But everybody seemed to know to stop when one came off!!

BwdLion73
09-01-2012, 11:55 AM

All Saints D-1 quarterback got his knocked off after a hard hit in the first half and we got to see the rule enforced. I just wish we could have hid his helmet. :)

mwynn05
09-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Would love to have gone. I played there when I was at ATM and it was a blast!

No.90 did not travel. They held him out due a torn pec he suffered back in June. He was cleared Thursday and will play in the home opener next Saturday.
I read he got hurt, but they didnt release anything til august, meant to pm and ask you about him, but when august starts it gets crazy and im not even in season.... I wanted to go but with all the tropical storm stuff friends backed out bc it was so uncertain til about friday (what if fema needed to seize all hotel rooms etc) we just decided not to go... I will def be at the houston game going to try and make it up to denton for one.. my whole tailgate crew coaches football now though so it makes it tough

TexMike
09-01-2012, 01:11 PM

Was there a flag thrown for "ripping the helmet off"? If so, the player does not have to sit out a play.

mwynn05
09-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Better look at that again mike... Or about 6 different college refs have been wrong today only way it's different is a uil exception

NastySlot
09-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Better look at that again mike... Or about 6 different college refs have been wrong today only way it's different is a uil exception

Was listening on radio and it happen in the Alabama/Michigan game earlier as a result of a face mask and player did not have to come out. Official gave explanation for player not having to come out.

TexMike
09-01-2012, 10:12 PM
There is NO UIL exception in regards to the helmet rule. We enforce it the same way they do.

mwynn05
09-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Mike I misread your post sorry, you weren't saying they didn't have to come out you were saying that was the case with a penalty which is correct... All the exceptions are due to timing

FB-fanatic
09-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Great rule. I'm sure you didn't mind the 15 yard penalty when they "ripped" it off. For sure, during the first 2 scrimmages and last nights opener---I have not seen one head gear come off like before. Great safety addition the coaches came up with IMO.

No 15 yards accessed. Was ripped off after play was over and player on the ground. He has never had helmet come off in 7 years of playig football and was adjusted correctly. So, if you are looking for a momentum killer, yank the guys helmet off and don't get caught. It was talked about on here that this could happen with the new rule.

TexMike
09-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Puhleeze!!!!!!!!!!! Someone is going to commit a flagrant personal foul, hoping it will not be seen, just to get a player out for 1 play!?!?!? You risk being ejected yourself for doing that. And if you are gonna do that why not just get the full monty and deliberately injure him to get him out the whole game?

bulldog82
09-02-2012, 11:10 AM
In Bandera / George West game #1 QB/Saftey, his helmet came off atleast 6 times and refs never had him leave. then again these refs were horrible in all aspects !

YTBulldogs
09-02-2012, 11:53 AM
No 15 yards accessed. Was ripped off after play was over and player on the ground. He has never had helmet come off in 7 years of playig football and was adjusted correctly. So, if you are looking for a momentum killer, yank the guys helmet off and don't get caught. It was talked about on here that this could happen with the new rule.

Quess this is true on any infraction---"if you don't get caught, it's good".

mustanglonghorn
09-02-2012, 07:50 PM

Sounds like you are just a sore loser. Lorena thought they were going to win easy and it didnt happen. The Mustangs beat Lorena and the refs.