PDA

View Full Version : Navasota shuts out Willis 42-0

navscanmaster
09-01-2012, 02:42 AM
From www.brazossports.com

WILLIS — Fifth-ranked Navasota avenged its only regular season defeat of the 2011 season with a 42-0 blowout of Willis at Yates Stadium on Friday.

Last season, the Rattlers fell a yard short of tying the game on the final play, but there was no doubt from the very beginning Friday, with the defense allowing just five first downs and 124 total yards in the shutout.

Returning all-state quarterback Kadarius Baker was 22 of 28 for 307 yards passing with three touchdowns in the air and one on the ground.

He went 4 of 5 on the first drive and found Austin Collins splitting the zone coverage for a 44-yarder.

Baker hit Collins on a short screen pass before Howard Horn picked up a first down on a couple of carries up the middle. Baker hit McGinty near the Navasota sideline for a 20-yard gain, and he followed that with a bullet pass to Collins for a 23-yard scoring strike.

The extra point was blocked, and Navasota led 13-0.

Collins made it 19-0 on an 85-yard interception return and Soloman McGinty made it 21-0 with a reception from Baker on the two-point conversion.

Collins had nine catches for 137 yards, and McGinty hauled in nine for 138 yards. Horn led the rushing attack with eight carries for 53 yards.

Baker led the Rattlers to two more scores in the third quarter before leaving the game. He scored from a yard out on the first possession of the second half and followed an interception with a 44-yard touchdown to McGinty that was tipped up in the air by teammate Terrance Creeks at the 5-yard line.

Backup quarterback Keyshawn Philio capped the scoring with a 16-yard option run in the fourth quarter.

Navasota will take on No. 4 Coldspring-Oakhurst next week in the Rattlers’ home opener.

If you are a Rattler fan, you have got to be drinking a little kool-aid early on. Baker looked great, and didn't make bad throws, even taking a few coverage sacks. The receivers are dynamic as always. Then there is the defense. Through two scrimmages and a road opener, two of those against decent 4A competition, they have not allowed a score yet. Will they keep it going against Coldspring-Oakhurst? One can hope...

BoneyFinger
09-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Was at the game last night. My observations:

Navasota - Very Good, Very Fast, Very Large (Not Fat), Very Scary for future teams that have to play them. They certainly deserve their State Ranking.

Willis - Average Size, Slow, No clue how to tackle, Poorly Coached. Offence and Defense just looked lethargic. It's going to be a long season for the Wildkats.

zebrablue2
09-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Rattlers are the REAL deal. Congrats on the win!!!

HEMOTOXIC
09-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Navasota's Defense looks outstanding thus far.

I really don't like comparing scores, especially when it was a scrimmage, but, it is what it is.

Angleton beats Motgomery 28-18. This is the same Montgomery team that Navasota shut out 6-0 in their final scrimmage.

Navasota's offensive line still needs a little work, but, overall, they didn't play that bad. Baker did throw an interception just before the half inside the Willis 10 yard line that would have put Navasota up 28-0 at the half.

Defense, Defense, Defense! Willis had 7 firstdowns and 125 total yards. Navasota's offense had 27 firstdowns and 457 yards. And, to me, the offense looked a little sluggish at times.

Watch out folks, this may (finger's crossed) be the team that gets us past the QF's.

Up next, State Ranked Coldspring from Rattler Stadium. Boy, it will be packed.

OldBison75
09-01-2012, 11:14 AM
The Rattlers look to be playing very good right now. I did not have any doubts about the offense except the offensive line play. They did pretty good against Willis even with giving up a couple of sacks that were partially the result of coverage. I think they will get some small issues worked out and be a pretty good unit in a short time.

My worries were about the way the defense would perform as a unit. The Rattlers have had the bend, don't break approach for the last few years and depended on the big play to stop drives. I saw a defense that was very fast, aggressive, and tackled better than any Rattler Defense I have seen under Fedora. If this defense keeps improving from the high level they are playing right now, they will set some records. Through two scrimmages against Sealy and Montgomery they never gave up a score. Now they have shut out Willis. These defensive kids are pretty good on their own, but they are quickly building a level of confidence that makes them even better. They play sound football and each takes care of his assignment knowing that the next guy is there doing his job too.

This defense will not shut out everybody, that just don't happen anymore. But, I see this defense only getting better as the year progresses and if they get beat, the other team will work hard for any score. There won't be any easy scores for the opponents this year.

Saggy Aggie
09-01-2012, 11:21 AM
I'll be there next week for the nav/CS game