PDA

View Full Version : Region II Week 0 GotW: Argyle Vs. Abilene Wylie

orange machine
08-25-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't know what Wylie has, but I got to see Argyle last night. I think this will be low scoring. Argyle has one of the best defenses in 3a and they are pretty fast. Ill take Argyle in a close game.
Argyle 17
Wylie 7

Bosqueville
08-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Argyle by 21.

ccmom
08-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Looking forward to this one!!

regaleagle
08-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I know most people would have Argyle favored in this one because of the preseason rankings and last year's Argyle team, but my thinking on this one is that it is a toss-up. Maybe I give Argyle the nod for being a home game, but Wylie is bringing a more seasoned qb and a similar number of returnees that are all seniors. I look for a very hard-fought close game that is evenly matched. Good luck in the exciting season opener to both of these teams. It should be a good one to watch.

regaleagle
08-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Can somebody attach a poll to this one to get the vote count on how everybody views this game?

ccmom
08-26-2012, 11:46 AM
I know most people would have Argyle favored in this one because of the preseason rankings and last year's Argyle team, but my thinking on this one is that it is a toss-up. Maybe I give Argyle the nod for being a home game, but Wylie is bringing a more seasoned qb and a similar number of returnees that are all seniors. I look for a very hard-fought close game that is evenly matched. Good luck in the exciting season opener to both of these teams. It should be a good one to watch.
I'm not sure about the "more seasoned" QB comment, as Wylie's QB will be making his first start in the Argyle game (other than scrimmages).

I hope you are right in that it's a good one to watch!

upper20
08-27-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure about the "more seasoned" QB comment, as Wylie's QB will be making his first start in the Argyle game (other than scrimmages).

I hope you are right in that it's a good one to watch!

I agree about seasoning - Wylie's Sr QB's play time last year was limited to mop-up duty (and he was usually the second one in for that) and the Jr QB played on JV.

Bullaholic
08-27-2012, 09:12 AM
I like OM's 17-7-Argyle.

slingshot
08-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I think Argyle should be favored... but I do believe Wyle will put up more than 7 pts. More like 24-21 or 24-17...

regaleagle
08-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Well, at least he had "mop-up" duty at the varsity level. Can't say that for our qb. And Wylie does have more seniors returning from last year's squad. Argyle is really a junior and soph.-heavy team this year, just to let all you uninformed downlowers know. Next season we should be stronger than this year for overall leadership and maturity. We do have some quality players coming back from last year's season, but very few are seniors.

Yoe_09
08-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Argyle Vs. Abilene Wylie is the Region II Week 0 GOTW.

Ville-D
08-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Argyle by 3 tds

ccmom
08-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Your guess is as good as mine, but I can't wait to find out. Hooray for football season!!

ccmom
08-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Argyle Vs. Abilene Wylie is the Region I Week 0 GOTW.

Actually, it's the Region II GOTW. ;)

You are doing a great job taking over so much stuff. Thanks! :thumbsup:

ccmom
08-28-2012, 07:50 AM
http://www.texasfootball.com/highschool-news/view/180002

Pendragon13
08-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Argyle is favored in this game due to last years record and the fact they're playing at home...as it should be. However, I don't think the college formula of rankings based on the previous year + expectations for returning players/upcoming younger players works as well at the high school level since they don't have "recruiting classes" (well, most don't ;) )

People expecting Argyle to run away with this one may be surprised..

Yoe_09
08-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I went ahead and added the poll.

Rattler
08-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Argyle by 7

OldBison75
08-29-2012, 06:17 PM
This will be one of the best matchups in the state this opening week. These teams are both gonna be good this year. I pick Argyle only because of home field advantage. It won't be settled until late in the game.

garciap77
08-30-2012, 07:58 AM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Bulldogs ready for spotlight
■ Game will be featured on Fox Sports Southwest on Friday night

By Daniel Youngblood

youngbloodd@reporternews.com 325-676-6771

For the Hugh Sandifer-led Wylie Bulldogs, marquee matchups are as common to autumn as falling leaves.

When scheduling nondis*trict games, the veteran coach accepts virtually all comers, resulting annually in a slate of contests sure to test players and thrill fans.

With eight games against teams that reached the play*off s a year ago, the Bulldogs’ 2012 schedule figures to be as good as any they’ve had in that regard. And it begins with perhaps the most intrigu*ing matchup of all — a Friday night showdown between Wy*lie and Argyle that’s been se*lected as the featured game on “Fox Sports Southwest High School Football Friday.”

“I was reading a deal that had several games to watch in the Metroplex, and one of them was Southlake and Al*len and another was Argyle and Abilene Wylie,” Sandi*fer said. “I think (this game) has a lot of little intangibles, but we’ve tried to build our program to where it’s one of the premier 3A programs in the state of Texas, and I think they rapidly have become that as well. Hopefully, we can go and travel well and really rep*resent Wylie.” The matchup itself, which pits the Bulldogs against the defending 3A Division II run*ner- up Eagles, isn’t all that different from others they’ve played in the past. Wylie just finished a home-and-home with then-4A Stephenville and has taken on 3A powers Liberty Hill, Waco La Vega and Wim*berley within the past six years. The thing that separates Wylie’s game this week at Argyle is the amount of atten*tion being paid to it. Selected Fox Sports Southwest and Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine as the game of the week for “High School Football Friday,” the contest will be given heavy exposure to a statewide audience. Argyle’s Eagle Stadium will serve as the site for Fox’s “Football Friday Live,” a 30-minute pregame show that will preview the Wylie-Argyle game and other notable matchups. In-game updates will be given on “Football Friday Blitz,” a three-hour highlight show. And the outcome of the game will be discussed upon conclusion on “Football Friday Overtime,” a 30-minute wrap-up show.

Wylie quarterback Taylor Grant said all the hoopla surrounding this week’s game only adds to the natural excitement of starting a new season.

“It’s fun. I think everybody’s looking forward to a little pub-licity,” Grant said. “But it’s just another game, so we’re going to go out and treat it like a game. We’re going to go out there and have fun. Having it on TV’s just a bonus.”

Senior defensive end Jonathan Bott echoed those sentiments, adding that he’s excited to show football fans around the state what Wylie football is all about. “Playing at Wylie is great. I wouldn’t rather play anywhere else,” Bott said. “Playing for Coach Sandifer, I really like it, and it will be cool for people to see how we do things at Wylie.” But while excitement abounds heading into Friday’s game, the Bulldogs players insist they’re going to Argyle on a business trip. And they don’t intend to let the buzz surrounding this matchup distract them from that fact.

“It’s a big deal, but every game for us is the game of the week,” Grant said. “Having this televised and going up against a good opponent like Argyle, especially for the first game, is exciting. But everybody in the locker is room ready to go. We’re just looking for a good week and looking forward to going out on Friday and playing our best.”

Win or lose, Sandifer expects Friday’s game to pay dividends later in the season. As iron sharpens iron, he believes playing top competition promotes growth and forces necessary improvement.

It’s with this thought in mind that he’s formed his philosophy on scheduling, which makes matchups like Friday’s possible. “We want to win, obviously,” he said. “Everybody wants to win, but we also want to put ourselves in a position where every kid on the field’s challenged. You can play somebody that has one or two good players, and you might have two of your 11 that have to play hard. But on this, when you play a team like Argyle, all 11 on the field are going to have to play hard on every snap.

“So we get a chance to really get tested early and put our kids in a tough situation on the road. There are just a lot of things that are good about playing teams like this, and we look forward to that. Our kids that have grown up in our program know that those championship trophies aren’t handed out in August and September, and everything we’re doing right now is to hopefully put us in a position to do well in district and advance to those playoffs.”

Wylie by 7!!!!!:clap:

regaleagle
08-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Wow, I get to see this game afterall....on TV!! I'm still down in McAllen working and will not be able to attend a number of early games this season, but will get to see Argyle play Wylie in this one at least. What a huge week in Argyle this will be. I only hope the distraction doesn't take away from the concentration of the boyz to perform well on the field. Most were in Cowboys stadium last year, so it should be fun. All I can say is to get there early and get your spot....the stadium will be SRO.

ccmom
08-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow, I get to see this game afterall....on TV!! I'm still down in McAllen working and will not be able to attend a number of early games this season, but will get to see Argyle play Wylie in this one at least. What a huge week in Argyle this will be. I only hope the distraction doesn't take away from the concentration of the boyz to perform well on the field. Most were in Cowboys stadium last year, so it should be fun. All I can say is to get there early and get your spot....the stadium will be SRO.

It's my understanding that the entire game won't be broadcast because of UIL rules. Do you know something I don't?

nobogey72
08-30-2012, 04:29 PM
It's my understanding that the entire game won't be broadcast because of UIL rules. Do you know something I don't?

There was a Tx HS football game on Fox several times last year. The last couple of years actually. Usually they are on Thursday nights.

ccmom
08-30-2012, 04:48 PM
There was a Tx HS football game on Fox several times last year. The last couple of years actually. Usually they are on Thursday nights.

I think it's a Friday night rule as far as the UIL restriction goes...or that's how it used to be.

My understanding is that they will be doing their regular show from the game, including pre/post game stuff and updates, but not actually showing the full game live. However, I've been wrong one other time in my life, so maybe I am again. ;)

ccmom
08-31-2012, 06:49 AM
http://m.reporternews.com/news/2012/aug/30/wylie-argyle-preview/

7:30 P.M. TODAY, EAGLE STADIUM, ARGYLE, KEAN 105.1 FM

What's riding on this game: This is both team's season opener and the first matchup between two of the state's premier Class 3A programs. Add to this the game has been selected by Fox Sports Southwest and Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine as the featured game for "High School Football Friday," a live four-hour highlight show, and the stakes are raised even higher. The outcome won't make or break either team's season, but this is not your average nondistrict game. "You couldn't ask for a better situation for us to kind of show us where we are as a team," Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. "Our kids are excited about it — to get a chance to make a long road trip, play a good football team and try to get a win on the road."

Last year: Wylie extended its streak of consecutive playoff seasons to 18 with a 7-5 campaign that ended in the 3A Division I regional round with a loss to eventual state runner-up Alvarado. Argyle made its second state finals appearance, falling by seven points to Wimberley in the Division II championship game to finish 14-2.

Scouting Argyle: The Eagles, who have averaged more than 10 wins per season since 2004, return just seven starters (four offensive, three defensive) from last year's state finalist squad, but they're still ranked in the top-10 by both The Associated Press (No. 7) and Texas Football magazine (No. 6). Coach Todd Rodgers will have to replace all-state quarterback Austin Aune (3,411 yards and 33 TDs passing, 538 yards and nine TDs rushing), who is now in the New York Yankees system as a middle infielder. But he returns a couple of nice offensive weapons in sophomore running back Nick Ralston (58-259, three TDs) and do-it-all receiver Ian Sadler (54-1,124, 12 TDs) and an excellent kicker in Cole Hedlund (25 field goals made). Junior linebacker Sam Sizelove (138 tackles, two sacks) also is back to head the defensive unit.

Bulldogs update: The Bulldogs don't have a quarterback on their roster that has thrown a varsity pass or a wide receiver that has caught one, but Wylie appears to be in good shape at both positions. Quarterbacks Taylor Grant and Blake Frampton both performed well during the Bulldogs' two scrimmages, and 6-foot-3 Tyler Roberson emerged as a leader on what appears to be a deep receiving corps. Those players should help provide a nice passing complement to the strong running attack 1,000-yard tailback Garrett Martin gives them.

What Bulldogs need to do to win: Play within themselves and avoid game-changing mistakes. Despite the publicity this matchup has gotten, these are two pretty inexperienced squads. Between the two, they'll have 29 spots filled by first-year starters. With so many new faces on both sides, the winner of this game could very well be the team that best controls its nerves and manages to execute under pressure.

Daniel Youngblood's prediction: Argyle 24, Wylie 21.

garciap77
08-31-2012, 07:46 AM
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/4BXP2-1.jpg

regaleagle
08-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Well, I see ccmom and garciap77 are up early this morning posting on this board about this opening game of the season. Kind of exciting, huh? I wish I could be there in person to witness this great meeting of these two fine schools and to watch these two teams go at it on the field of battle. I'm hoping between TV and my laptop with ABN(Argyle Broadcasting Network) my Friday Nite Football Fever(or fervor) will be quenched as I tune in to hear and watch the action taking place at Eagle Stadium. Good luck to both schools, and may the game be played with all the intensity and fairness a quality high school football game like this deserves. GO EAGLES!!!

Grahamerica
08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Go Wylie!

Inmateboss
08-31-2012, 01:05 PM
This game will set the bar !! Hope somebody posts good updates!!!

defense51
08-31-2012, 02:50 PM
I think AW gets the upset tonight 21-14

hollywood
08-31-2012, 03:04 PM
AW ain't skeerd

regaleagle
08-31-2012, 05:28 PM
No updates needed. Just google up Argyle Broadcasting Network and hit the green LISTEN LIVE button. You'll be listening to the Argyle play by play call. OR you can tune in to Fox Sports Southwest at 7 pm. They will be airing live at Eagle Stadium and televising parts of this game and others all evening long. The recap show starts afterward for all the scores and highlights of high school football statewide. Have a wonderful Football Friday Nite wherever you are, everybody. It's about that time....so GET READY TO RUUUMMMBLE!!!! It's ARGYLE VS ABILENE WYLIE to start tonite's action. Good luck to all the teams playing under the lights tonite. GO EAGLES!!!!

ccmom
08-31-2012, 05:58 PM
You can also listen live at

http://bulldogsliveonline.com/

Good luck to all and Go Dawgs!

ccmom
08-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Wylie with 35 Yd FG

Wylie 3
Argyle 0

ccmom
08-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Wylie throws INT....Argyle ball on Wylie 28

ccmom
08-31-2012, 07:54 PM
End of 1

Wylie leads 3-0 but Argyle ball on Wylie 11

ccmom
08-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Argyle fumbles to start 2nd qtr....Wylie ball!

ccmom
08-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Wylie punts

ccmom
08-31-2012, 08:04 PM
17 Yd TD run by Argyle

8 min left in second
Argyle 7
Wylie 3

ccmom
08-31-2012, 08:14 PM
10 Yd TD pass by Bulldogs

Wylie 10
Argyle 7

6 Left in half

ccmom
08-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Wylie intercepts and tacks on 35 Yd return...

Wylie first and goal from 5

ccmom
08-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Touchdown bulldogs!

Wylie leads 17-7

1:23 left n half

garciap77
08-31-2012, 09:11 PM
:cheerl::cheerl::cheerl:

ccmom
08-31-2012, 09:18 PM
38 Yd FG attempt by Wylie no good

Still 17-7

garciap77
08-31-2012, 09:21 PM
38 Yd FG attempt by Wylie no good

Still 17-7
Are you at the game?

ccmom
08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
Are you at the game?

No sir.

WylieBulldog87
08-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Wylie with ball late in 3rd quarter still up 17-7

ccmom
08-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Argyle with big punt return....takes over at Wylie 16

garciap77
08-31-2012, 09:30 PM
No sir.

I wanted to make the game, but my wife had to work and did not get off until 5:00, I hate them BANKS!!!:flaming:

ccmom
08-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Touchdown argyle

Wylie 17
Argyle 14

2 min left in third

ccmom
08-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Wylie turns it over on downs on Argyle 20.

Wylie leads 17-14 end of 3

ccmom
08-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Argyle punts....Wylie ball on own 40

ccmom
08-31-2012, 09:51 PM
8:57 Left in game
Still 17-14
Wylie punts...trouble with snap and punt....

Eagles ball on own 32

ccmom
08-31-2012, 09:52 PM
Personal foul on Wylie....ouch

ccmom
08-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Argyle punts

Wylie ball on own 38

WylieBulldog87
08-31-2012, 09:59 PM
First down Wylie at Argyle 48. 6:08 remaianing

WylieBulldog87
08-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Wylie at 14 yrd line.

garciap77
08-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Come bulldogs, hang in there!!!

ccmom
08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Touchdown Bulldogs!!!

Wylie 24
Argyle 14

4:19 left in game

WylieBulldog87
08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
touchdown Wylie...pass to corner from Taylor Graham.

WylieBulldog87
08-31-2012, 10:03 PM
is this considered a big upset?

ccmom
08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Wylie intercepts!

Wylie ball on Argyle 35ish ;)

WylieBulldog87
08-31-2012, 10:06 PM
interception Wylie. Wylie ball at Argyle 31 yrd line with 413 left.

garciap77
08-31-2012, 10:08 PM
is this considered a big upset?

I don't think so, to early in the season to tell, but I really happy for the Bulldogs!!!:clap:

WylieBulldog87
08-31-2012, 10:10 PM
I don't think so, to early in the season to tell, but I really happy for the Bulldogs!!!:clap:
Yes its a good start.

ccmom
08-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Touchdown Wylie

Wylie leads 31-14 final seconds of game

ccmom
08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Final

Wylie 31
Argyle 14

Pendragon13
08-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Argyle is favored in this game due to last years record and the fact they're playing at home...as it should be. However, I don't think the college formula of rankings based on the previous year + expectations for returning players/upcoming younger players works as well at the high school level since they don't have "recruiting classes" (well, most don't ;) )

People expecting Argyle to run away with this one may be surprised..I'll just quote the post I made earlier in the week since I have nothing new to add.:)

garciap77
08-31-2012, 10:32 PM
I'll just quote the post I made earlier in the week since I have nothing new to add.:):clap::clap::clap:

regaleagle
08-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Congrats to the Wylie Bulldogs. The Bulldog running game just wore out the Argyle D on a hot nite of cramping from both teams. The Argyle qb is very green and needs seasoning. The Argyle rb Ralston is only a soph. and looked good. Martin rushed for close to 180 yds and pretty much used that big line and his strength to dominate the clock and the possessions. Many dropped passes by recievers on both teams, but in the end Wylie made the plays that led to a 14 pt. 4th qtr. while the Bulldog D blanked Argyle in the 4th. A good game to start the season....probably one that will in reality help the Argyle Eagles to mature quicker. This is a very young team with very few Srs. that will learn how to play together as the season progresses.

ccmom
08-31-2012, 11:05 PM
Congrats to the Wylie Bulldogs. The Bulldog running game just wore out the Argyle D on a hot nite of cramping from both teams. The Argyle qb is very green and needs seasoning. The Argyle rb Ralston is only a soph. and looked good. Martin rushed for close to 180 yds and pretty much used that big line and his strength to dominate the clock and the possessions. Many dropped passes by recievers on both teams, but in the end Wylie made the plays that led to a 14 pt. 4th qtr. while the Bulldog D blanked Argyle in the 4th. A good game to start the season....probably one that will in reality help the Argyle Eagles to mature quicker. This is a very young team with very few Srs. that will learn how to play together as the season progresses.. Good post. Good luck the rest of your season.

83Indian
08-31-2012, 11:26 PM
Final

Wylie 31
Argyle 14

Great win CCMom.