PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley vs Llano

Tejastrue
08-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Wimberley travels to Llano to face an old rival. The Yellowjackets managed 1 win last year and now have a new head coach. Texans have a new QB and and receiving corp still trying to find their way.

ogg
08-27-2012, 12:04 PM
Wimberley by 30

Bassact
08-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Wimberley by as much as they want. New staff or not llano doesn't have the players or depth to hang. Last year against LH they finished the game with neg rushing yards and 8 yards passing, 0 first downs. From the talent pool they are choosing from it's going to be another long year for the Yellowjackets.

buff4ever
08-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Probably didn't need a poll on this one.

Tejastrue
08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
You're probably right but I had yet to post a thread with a poll. Call it a dry run. There is however at least one who believes in the upset. Maybe they'll speak up and share an opinion. Then again, they could just be anti-Wimberley. Lol..

toddg
08-27-2012, 02:14 PM
"scoop of chocolate, scoop of vanilla..dont waste my time" Wimberley's new QB will pad his stats in this one!

greendawg84
08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
You're probably right but I had yet to post a thread with a poll. Call it a dry run. There is however at least one who believes in the upset. Maybe they'll speak up and share an opinion. Then again, they could just be anti-Wimberley. Lol..

Prolly hit the wrong button in all his excitement ?

buff4ever
08-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Prolly hit the wrong button in all his excitement ?

This makes more sense.

Tejastrue
08-27-2012, 02:47 PM
You don't have to vote. My guess both of you did. Lol..

ogg
08-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Llano knocked Wimberley out of the playoffs in 2008 with a win in Llano stadium. I still remember our last drive on the field's south end, just couldn't get it done.

rb585
08-27-2012, 04:15 PM

Los Owls? Was that his name? The Hondo dude who picked Wimberley to lose every week in the playoffs last season?

Tejastrue
08-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Llano knocked Wimberley out of the playoffs in 2008 with a win in Llano stadium. I still remember our last drive on the field's south end, just couldn't get it done.

When I think of this game Smithville comes to mind. From 0-10 to making the playoffs @ 7-3...and sometimes a head coaching change can be a very positive thing. I'd prefer it to start in a couple of weeks though.

Tejastrue
08-27-2012, 04:52 PM
Los Owls? Was that his name? The Hondo dude who picked Wimberley to lose every week in the playoffs last season?

You may have it pegged but I think l he would have already posted some sort of crazy comment about us Wimberley Wackos. Lol

Roughneck93
08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Wimberley by a lot.

Old Tiger
08-27-2012, 06:29 PM
I think we win by 21 and hopefully there aren't many first game jitters.

solocam
08-27-2012, 06:52 PM
42 to 0 texans

wimbo_pro
08-27-2012, 09:47 PM

Isn't his handle Lost Owls??

Tejastrue
08-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Yes indeed after we made a small modification.:wave:

LionFan72
08-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Tradition runs deep, Wimberley by 21!

Cam
08-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm hearing good things about Llano and their new coach...Looks like at least they're getting a fresh start. Sounds like they have a really good QB and RB. It's tough for Llano with their small enrollment numbers.....I heard Coopers was treatin' Llano for any game they win so look out!....There's some new incentive there.....course, the Coopers thing could just be a rumor.....

Inmateboss
08-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Wimberley by 21 sounds pretty good!!! They're gonna want another taste!!

wimbo_pro
08-28-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm hearing good things about Llano and their new coach...Looks like at least they're getting a fresh start. Sounds like they have a really good QB and RB. It's tough for Llano with their small enrollment numbers.....I heard Coopers was treatin' Llano for any game they win so look out!....There's some new incentive there.....course, the Coopers thing could just be a rumor.....

But if Coopers treats the team, they might get caught and have to vacate all their wins and....wait a minute....probably worth the trade.

greendawg84
08-29-2012, 10:21 AM
But if Coopers treats the team, they might get caught and have to vacate all their wins and....wait a minute....probably worth the trade.

True Dat ! Great trade off if you ask me !

Rattler
08-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Wimberley by 28

lange4
08-30-2012, 02:24 PM
How in the heck is one of the AAS writers picking Llano to win.

Tejastrue
08-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I had to look for myself to believe it. Wow...

http://www.statesman.com/sports/highschool/high-school-football-staff-picks-2445943.html

ogg
08-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Does he know something we don't? :)

LOL

greendawg84
08-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Does he know something we don't? :)

LOL

No he has a better drug supplier thats all !

YTBulldogs
08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
42 to 0 texans

:ditto: Close at the flip.

Trashman
08-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Llano gets spanked.....Such a sad state for a once proud program.:crying:

LHdog
08-30-2012, 05:24 PM
The AAS sportswriters have been passing around the crack pipe. If Llano holds Wimberley to less than 30 points, the Texans should be embarrassed.

rb585
08-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Danny Davis is Los Owls??!?!?

sandmaster
08-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Wimberley wins a nail biter 27-26!! I thought llano was gonna get blown out Wimberley fans.

Gontex
08-31-2012, 11:09 PM

That would also be a violation of UIL rules that could get somebody into hot water really quick.

greendawg84
08-31-2012, 11:11 PM
That would also be a violation of UIL rules that could get somebody into hot water really quick.

Was a joke dude lighten up ! You have to know Cam .

Anyway congrats to Llano sounds like they have got the train on the right track.

Los Owls
08-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Danny Davis is Los Owls??!?!?

Here we go guys...Can't go against Wimberley...It well make the wImBo WaCKos fanatics go WHACKO...LOL....Llano sure made the wHaCkOs go WiLd...:vrycnfsd:...Luv Friday night football...

Saggy Aggie
08-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Mmmm coopers

Los Owls
08-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Easy sandmaster,Don't talk negative about Wimberly...Them wImBo WaCkOs POSTERS really go WILD.....:fnypost:

sandmaster
08-31-2012, 11:22 PM
They did say they were gonna win big. I wasn't at the game just saw the score. I would like to hear what people thought about the game and how was Llano.

banderafan
08-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Looks like this one was much closer than most expected!

rb585
09-01-2012, 12:00 AM
They did say they were gonna win big. I wasn't at the game just saw the score. I would like to hear what people thought about the game and how was Llano.

It was the most dominating one-point win in the history of football.

Seriously, Llano looked pretty good and could have easily won this game. Wimberley's QB played very well in the first half, but didn't come out of the locker room at halftime. Backup sophomore QB played better than you'd expect a backup sophomore QB to play behind really poor line play. Wimberley got the ball back with 5 minutes left at their own 30, trailing 26-21. Llano got a healthy dose of Colby Kelley and got the ball back trailing by 1, 1:30 left, and 0 timeouts. They ended up throwing a couple of 35-yard hail marys into the end zone.

Llano has a chance to be very good by the end of the year. Does Wimberley have Dripping next week? That could be ugly. I counted only 36 players on Wimberley, and 4 of them were out injured at the start of the game.

lbjacj
09-01-2012, 12:46 AM

Llano played like this was for the state championship and we played like it was going to be a cakewalk. We had a couple of fumbles and they got on a roll. I was worried when our QB Jones didn't come back after halftime. Not sure how bad he was hurt but they called the ambulance to come to our locker room and his mom left the stands and didn't return. Our backup had some nice runs and then Kolby Kelly took over in the fourth quarter to put us up by 1 with 1:34. Llano drove down the field and they had a huge gain wiped out by an illegal man downfield penalty,and then just ran out of time after throwing it up for grabs in the endzone.
The Llano coaches were going nuts for every first down or big play and it was obvious the whole town was up for this one. They are much improved this year and the Texans have a lot of work to do just to be able to compete at the level they are accustomed to.

rb585
09-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Very quick writeup by one of the Llano newspapers: http://www.llanocj.com/news_article.php?category_id=3&article_id=3201

BTW, the only thing controversial about that personal foul was that the Llano kid didn't get thrown out.

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Wimberley wins a nail biter 27-26!! I thought llano was gonna get blown out Wimberley fans.

LOL..tell me which Wimberley guy said that. He ought to be flogged. Read back..it was everyone else calling for a blowout. We have a long ways to go but the bottom line is we got the W. My first time seeing the boys this year. A lot of youth coming of age very quickly. Thank you Mr Kelly. Took the bull by the horns. About Reed Jones. What was told to me was a cracked rib and punctured lung. This is not confirmed and is second hand info. Llano played their guts out. Congrats to them.

buff4ever
09-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Hope your QB has a speedy recovery

bulldog82
09-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Ha ha !

rb585
09-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Cracked rib? We always win state when our QB cracks a rib, don't we?

Manso/V8
09-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Anybody make it to Coopers before the game?

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Cracked rib? We always win state when our QB cracks a rib, don't we?

LOL..it supposedly happened early and he played several series after that. My concern is the ambulance was there and possible seriousness of it all.

Hey Bulldog..how did you guys do tonight..or should I say last night??

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 01:52 AM

Noooooo...but just to share a Llano experience I will say the lady who took our money for the game tickets and also the lady who took our tickets to get in were some of the most obnoxious rude beeeaches I have ever encountered on an away game. Sorry, I guess they both must have missed their trailer park rent payments for the month and were in a foul mood!!

bulldog82
09-01-2012, 04:00 AM
LOL..it supposedly happened early and he played several series after that. My concern is the ambulance was there and possible seriousness of it all.

Hey Bulldog..how did you guys do tonight..or should I say last night??

not worth a darn, but if thats what you call reloading. we had alot of young soph. playig in skill spots.one had 3 fumbles, all lost. Miller threw 2 picks. it was a bit embarrasing than usual. our kids were so out of shape. one puking on the field others play after play had to stop play to drag one off the field. a few legit but others not so, after two or three plays were back out there. GW had some kids that could hit, others intentionally worked against the grain picking up crackbacks.knocked one kid out catching him under the chin. trainer had his dad on sidlines talking to him. HC got unsportsman like when he went after the ref when after incpl. pass their saftey took a head shot after two steps, ref said it was to the chest. pretty sure 2 will not play next week for concussions. not so good, but we're rebuilding not loading and not trying to back up a SC. Hope Jones isnt out too long. Did Lambert not play, thought he would fill in at the RB spot.

bulldog82
09-01-2012, 04:02 AM
Ha ha !

Thats in response to score, not Jones being hurt .

lbjacj
09-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Best ribeye I ever had!

rb585
09-01-2012, 08:31 AM

I did.

They ran out of ribs before 6pm. :crying: And Cooper's brisket really ain't all that great. The big chop was the bomb, though.

rb585
09-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Noooooo...but just to share a Llano experience I will say the lady who took our money for the game tickets and also the lady who took our tickets to get in were some of the most obnoxious rude beeeaches I have ever encountered on an away game.

Ha, my wife bought the tickets, but I did notice that the lady at the gate just scowled at us and didn't say a word.

lbjacj
09-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Here's my Quixcore report of the game...

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/wimberley-texans-(wimberley,tx)/football/home.htm

Check out the rankings while you're there. They have Wimberley at #3 in 3A and #25 in the state all classes and 170th in the nation! Llano was ranked 11,348 in th nation. Safe to say we are way too high and will plummet from the rankings and Llano will rise many spots.

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Well...here we are again with a start that is less than shining...but a win nonetheless. We cannot absorb injuries like years past, so Reid being hurt is hard to overcome, but we will do it (more worried about his well being, of course). I think we should expect every team to be celebrating every first down on us...we ARE the defending State Champs. An undefeated regular season will be a real accomplishment if we are able to pull it off.

Gone Fishing
09-01-2012, 10:41 AM
QB Report - No serious injuries. Probably can play this week. He's a tough kid.

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Excellent...then its definitely NOT a broken rib.

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Exactly why I noted my info was second hand. Very good news.

YTBulldogs
09-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Good news GF. Best wishes to him and his fellow Texans. So glad he's ok GF.

Inmateboss
09-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Awesome!!! Prayers are a good thing!!! Now go get some more!!! Looking forward to seeing y'all later on!!!

snaxet
09-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Great to hear Reid is OK. Last nights game was a hard fought game but nevertheless we came away with a win. We had a chance to actually put it away early in the first quarter, defense playing solid, 3 three and outs in a row, but we could not mount an attack because of our own mistakes - fumble on first punt return, drive 65 yard to 15 yard line and fumble ball away, then finally Reid breaks free for an outstanding TD run. Unfortunately, it was at that point that we dropped our level of play on both sides of the ball. Llano quickly took the momentum, and we just did not show much enthusiasm and instead of throwing a knock out punch, we simply played to survive. Then when we expected to take charge during the second half, we find out that Reid is hurt and our Soph QB will be running the show. Let me say, however, he proved to be poised and did an exceptional job under the circumstances. Deep into the fourth quarter after a few penalties and a snap over his head, we found ourselves with 2nd and 38 on our own 10 yard line. He hit Lambert on an out pattern for 12 and then found Kelly over the middle for 27 and a much needed first down. We were able to push the ball back into Llano's end of the field; otherwise Llano would have had great field position and the game could have easily gotten out of hand. That was a key series and set us up for our final dirve. It was the last 6 minutes of the game that I felt there was a renewed effort. The defense stopped Llano and then our offense really showed a sense of determination as they took it down the field on the strength of Kelly's runs to take the lead. The defense then withstood a furious effort by Llano to score. There is no doubt that we came away with a clear understanding that there is a lot of work to do to get to the level we need to be able to compete with Giddings this next week. But what a lot of people need to realize, Llano proved to be better than we expected, and they will surprise a few teams this year. They are big and physical and have a number of quality skill players. We overcame a lot of adversity last night, and if there was a defining moment, it came in the fourth quarter when the Texans showed tremendous poise and intensity as they began to play the kind of smashmouth football we are used to. This team reminds me a little of the 2006 team that followed our 2005 state champions. They were soundly defeated by Giddings in the first game but really came together and played some outstanding ball defeating LH and Texarkana L E, both state champions that year. The good news is we learned a lot last night and I am sure the coaches will begin to put the pieces back together again. Good luck to Llano the rest of the season and thanks for being our Taylor for 2012.

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 11:44 AM
not worth a darn, but if thats what you call reloading. we had alot of young soph. playig in skill spots.one had 3 fumbles, all lost. Miller threw 2 picks. it was a bit embarrasing than usual. our kids were so out of shape. one puking on the field others play after play had to stop play to drag one off the field. a few legit but others not so, after two or three plays were back out there. GW had some kids that could hit, others intentionally worked against the grain picking up crackbacks.knocked one kid out catching him under the chin. trainer had his dad on sidlines talking to him. HC got unsportsman like when he went after the ref when after incpl. pass their saftey took a head shot after two steps, ref said it was to the chest. pretty sure 2 will not play next week for concussions. not so good, but we're rebuilding not loading and not trying to back up a SC. Hope Jones isn't out too long. Did Lambert not play, thought he would fill in at the RB spot.

Sounds like it was a crazy game. Must have been the blue moon effect. Reload?? Don't recall any Wimberley people saying that's what we do here. At least not yet. Lambert was not our starting RB but played very well. Did show an occasional sign of being a sophomore. Our secondary is my greatest concern and our defense as a whole was not very good last night. I don't mention the offense because we are a 'work in progress'. I'd like to think that Llano was that much improved. We'll find out soon enough against Giddings next week. Also wanted to express congrats to sophomore Colton Cerday who stepped in at QB after halftime for Jones. He had some jitters and made a few poor decisions but showed some grit and a determination to win and had several keys passes and runs.

LHPfactory
09-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Giddings is loaded in key spots and extremely fast, they need to run some gassers though. If they don't have a let off and yall don't up your game WT will be in trouble on Friday.

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Snaxet...compared to our first game last year, what do you think? I know its two totally different teams, but a comparison is helpful to those of us who didnt make the game.

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Giddings is loaded in key spots and extremely fast, they need to run some gassers though. If they don't have a let off and yall don't up your game WT will be in trouble on Friday.

Sounds like it, LHP.

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Let's not forget Llano had two huge bonehead penalties that if not for those we'd probably be trying to explain the loss right now. Also we need serious work on our center snaps to the QB. Someone mentioned that last week. Ugly......

Sportshack
09-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I was not at the game. Of course it hurts to have starting QB go down. However, IMO the Texans do not have the same level of talent as last year and definitely do not have the experience. They will be hard pressed to replace the production at QB, WR's, and DB's. Lambert quite simply was the winningest QB in WHS history at 29-1 in 30 starts. Let that sink in. Blakemore was an elite level receiver and Burtschelle was pretty talented as well. That is not even talking about Dennis Smith, Trint Wilson and some others. I do not think that there is one starter back in the secondary. Therefore, there is a lot of work to do and they are facing a quantlet in the next 4 weeks. Growing pains...growing pains. Also, everyone will be gunning for them. However, they have a good system, good coaches and some talented players. I am interested to know how the heck Llano was able to score 26 points. Was it running the ball, throwing the ball or both? I was hoping the offensive and defensive fronts would be solid and allow a stout running game until the young guys and Jones could get in sync in passing game. Some reports suggest that the oline needs work. That is really concerning. Of course, they were a work in progress last year throughou the season. However, the passing game was dynamic and eventually they came around. The team will have better games. However, no sunshine pumping...they have a lot of work ahead. They will play better undoubtedly. Llano appears to have a new attitude. The senior class at Llano used to beat the senior group from Wimberley in junior high and early HS I think. Therefore, they had some talent.

rb585
09-01-2012, 12:28 PM
snaxet pretty much nailed it on the game analysis.

Really glad Reed is OK. He made two bad reads, but other than that, I thought he looked great. I might get hated on for this comment, but I think he has a stronger arm, a quicker release, and quicker feet than Brady Lambert. That's not saying he is a better QB, but he has the potential -- really really excited by his performance.

Need someone besides #24 to step up at WR. Those kids have to go harder, too -- I was able to predict run/pass with a way-too-high frequency just based on how the WRs took their stances.

Was very disappointed by the running game. Morris and little Lambert never got loose. Any success we had was from Kelley breaking tackles at the line. Need a lot of improvement from the O-line, including the snaps. Was all of the I-formation planned, or was that because of the shotgun snap accuracy?

I thought Morris was one of the highlights of the D, though. Lambert seemed to have a lot of tackles, too.

Our lack of depth scares me.

It's a win, though, and a gutsy one, and I guarantee we'll have some things fixed next week.

I noticed Giddings' QB went 17-21 for 285. That reeeeeeeally scares me.

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I was not at the game. Of course it hurts to have starting QB go down. However, IMO the Texans do not have the same level of talent as last year and definitely do not have the experience. They will be hard pressed to replace the production at QB, WR's, and DB's. Lambert quite simply was the winningest QB in WHS history at 29-1 in 30 starts. Let that sink in. Blakemore was an elite level receiver and Burtschelle was pretty talented as well. That is not even talking about Dennis Smith, Trint Wilson and some others. I do not think that there is one starter back in the secondary. Therefore, there is a lot of work to do and they are facing a quantlet in the next 4 weeks. Growing pains...growing pains. Also, everyone will be gunning for them. However, they have a good system, good coaches and some talented players. I am interested to know how the heck Llano was able to score 26 points. Was it running the ball, throwing the ball or both? I was hoping the offensive and defensive fronts would be solid and allow a stout running game until the young guys and Jones could get in sync in passing game. Some reports suggest that the oline needs work. That is really concerning. Of course, they were a work in progress last year throughou the season. However, the passing game was dynamic and eventually they came around. The team will have better games. However, no sunshine pumping...they have a lot of work ahead. They will play better undoubtedly. Llano appears to have a new attitude. The senior class at Llano used to beat the senior group from Wimberley in junior high and early HS I think. Therefore, they had some talent.

Well said, Sportshack. An undefeated regular season will be a really REALLY tough goal for us this year, but I trust the coaches will get them in as good as position for the play offs as can be expected with the talent level. Once we get in (and we WILL get in), anything can happen in the play offs.

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I am interested to know how the heck Llano was able to score 26 points. Was it running the ball, throwing the ball or both?

Both... but their passing was what really hurt us. I do know there were two deep slants over the middle to their TE. One for a TD and one to about the 3.. Another was an interception on a poor screen pass ran back for a TD. I think their #87 accounted for most of the damage. Big guy and definitely talented. It's all about reading the play and staying home. The guy was wide open both times. We can't play off the receivers 10 yards if we want to stop the passing game. They exploited that all night.

Sportshack
09-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Both... but their passing was what really hurt us. I do know there were two deep slants over the middle to their TE. One for a TD and one to about the 3.. Another was an interception on a poor screen pass ran back for a TD. I think their #87 accounted for most of the damage. Big guy and definitely talented. It's all about reading the play and staying home. The guy was wide open both times. We can't play off the receivers 10 yards if we want to stop the passing game. They exploited that all night.

Well WHS is exremely inexperienced at DB...so that makes some sense. I did not want to hear that they ran the ball at will against what I was hoping would be one of strengths of team...the front 7 or 8.

LHPfactory
09-01-2012, 01:00 PM
snaxet pretty much nailed it on the game analysis.

Really glad Reed is OK. He made two bad reads, but other than that, I thought he looked great. I might get hated on for this comment, but I think he has a stronger arm, a quicker release, and quicker feet than Brady Lambert. That's not saying he is a better QB, but he has the potential -- really really excited by his performance.

Need someone besides #24 to step up at WR. Those kids have to go harder, too -- I was able to predict run/pass with a way-too-high frequency just based on how the WRs took their stances.

Was very disappointed by the running game. Morris and little Lambert never got loose. Any success we had was from Kelley breaking tackles at the line. Need a lot of improvement from the O-line, including the snaps. Was all of the I-formation planned, or was that because of the shotgun snap accuracy?

I thought Morris was one of the highlights of the D, though. Lambert seemed to have a lot of tackles, too.

Our lack of depth scares me.

It's a win, though, and a gutsy one, and I guarantee we'll have some things fixed next week.

I noticed Giddings' QB went 17-21 for 285. That reeeeeeeally scares me.

The Giddings QB is dang good, and has several hands to throw to. Also one hell of a running back to make you respect the run.

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Well WHS is exremely inexperienced at DB...so that makes some sense. I did not want to hear that they ran the ball at will against what I was hoping would be one of strengths of team...the front 7 or 8.

Not to mention the Terrible 2's we have as linebackers (32 and 52, Lambert and Mann).

Sportshack
09-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Also, good to hear that Jones looked good before getting injured. His development will be key for hopes of deep playoff run. Giddings had an exciting win. And posters on other thread described LH as looking really good...rut ro...let running the guantlet begin!! Oh...er...I guess it already began in Llano...double rut ro!!!

snaxet
09-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't think it is a good comparison with respect to last year's team or a first game comparison. First of all, we had a ton of experience taking the field last year against Cuero. Not as much this year. Second we had more depth, only carrying 33 on varsity right now compared to over 40 last year (I suspect this will change as the season progresses. We have 43 on the JV and they are really good). Third, Cuero just was not as strong as Llano. They were down last year and Llano showed that they have a lot more talent than expected. I do believe that we will have a much better running game this year than last year. Passing game will improve as we had a lot of key catches last night, but we miss Lambert 's ability to manage the game and keep the chains moving. Hopefully, that will happen but I did not see it in the Calallen scrimmage, the Burnet scrimmage or last night except for the last drive. The one thing that really has to be of a greater concern is that last year we really didn't come up against a really good passing team until the state championship game. It seemed like everyone we played last year relied heavily on the run and not as much on the pass. This year that will not be the case. We will be pass tested starting with Giddings, then Dripping, Canyon Lake, Boerne and Fredericksburg. I heard that Boerne threw nearly every down last night and look at what Gidding put up against LH. This will be our challenge. I believe that overall this team has the talent that will carry us a long way, but they will have to battle for a while until they get a little bit of a swagger about them. That only comes with experience, and it will be exciting to see how much they improve this week as we encounter Giddings.

By the way Wimbo-pro, you asked about how Llano scored. Two of their scores came on passes across the middle and another one was set up by a pass over the middle. I actually believe all were to the same receiver same play. Their other TD came on an interception of a screen pass that probably should not have been thrown.

rb585
09-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Third, Cuero just was not as strong as Llano.

Pigs are flying, hell is freezing over, etc.

Not that I disagree with you.

And yeah, #87 for Llano was a beast, on both sides of the ball.

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 01:32 PM

Saying they ran it at will would be stretching it. They had a good game plan to mix it in enough to be effective.

snaxet
09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Pigs are flying, hell is freezing over, etc.

Not that I disagree with you.

And yeah, #87 for Llano was a beast, on both sides of the ball.

The interesting thing is that Cuero could probably have beaten Llano last year even as down as they were. Llano, however, is a whole lot better this year. Cuero evidently is as well. I am glad that we did not play Cuero last night. Might not have made it out with a win. Nevertheless, I was also impressed with 87, also their QB Rabb and the tailack ran hard. They also had a very good defensive line or maybe they were helped by our offensive line.

snaxet
09-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Saying they ran it at will would be stretching it. They had a good game plan to mix it in enough to be effective.

You are right they did not run it all that well against us. I was surprised that at half Llano only had 5 first downs and 47 yards rushing. We just gave up the big pass plays that gave them momentum throughout the game.

Gone Fishing
09-01-2012, 03:04 PM
After two defensive series Jones had to go out at safety and that hurt with back up in on all those receptions that were made easy, but in the future that may be how it has to be. Its better for QB"s to be on the sideline while defense is on the field, regrouping, talking to coach or coach in the booth, etc. I think that helped Lambert last year and he was certainly way good enough to go both ways at several D positions. Other positions are a little easier to go both ways except for getting a little tired, I say that on that pick six screen pass that the ball just needed a little more air under it and it would have been ok to throw it. Also it was tipped and 87 made a one hand grab with his right hand. (great defensive play) Other than that I thought the passing game was good while starting QB was in and there was only a couple of drops by receivers.

Sportshack
09-01-2012, 03:49 PM
After two defensive series Jones had to go out at safety and that hurt with back up in on all those receptions that were made easy, but in the future that may be how it has to be. Its better for QB"s to be on the sideline while defense is on the field, regrouping, talking to coach or coach in the booth, etc. I think that helped Lambert last year and he was certainly way good enough to go both ways at several D positions. Other positions are a little easier to go both ways except for getting a little tired, I say that on that pick six screen pass that the ball just needed a little more air under it and it would have been ok to throw it. Also it was tipped and 87 made a one hand grab with his right hand. (great defensive play) Other than that I thought the passing game was good while starting QB was in and there was only a couple of drops by receivers.

Well...the Texans did score 27 points with starting QB on shelf for 2nd half. That shows some promise. Although, I do not know what the score was at end of 1st half.

I do not think that you can have your starting QB play full time DB. If that is how game started in my mind that speaks to a lack of athleticism in the back end of the defense. Perhaps just a lack of experience. Appears to be a weakness in the early going.

bulldog82
09-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Sounds like it was a crazy game. Must have been the blue moon effect. Reload?? Don't recall any Wimberley people saying that's what we do here. At least not yet. Lambert was not our starting RB but played very well. Did show an occasional sign of being a sophomore. Our secondary is my greatest concern and our defense as a whole was not very good last night. I don't mention the offense because we are a 'work in progress'. I'd like to think that Llano was that much improved. We'll find out soon enough against Giddings next week. Also wanted to express congrats to sophomore Colton Cerday who stepped in at QB after halftime for Jones. He had some jitters and made a few poor decisions but showed some grit and a determination to win and had several keys passes and runs.

I made a coment on earlier thread that most of the teams in our district would be re-building , and was informed, don't recall who, that WHS does'nt re-build. They re-load. that's what that's all about.

Bassact
09-01-2012, 04:57 PM
WT better get ready for a passing team in a hurry. Giddings will wear you out with tunnel screens and short passes and they have the skill players to make something happen after the catch. LH Soph & Jr DB's had to grow up quick last night and it was painful at even as well as they played overall for their first varsity game. If their quick passes aren't enought #28 is one of the better backs I've seen. He made a lot of LH players look silly and if you don't maintain backside containment he will eat you up. Better wrap up and hang on for help.
If the Texans stong suit is running stick with it. LH o line controlled the line and had a good push all night.
Don't take Giddings lightly or your pay.. They are a very good team and play hard and have no quit in them. the game is 60 minutes and you better play hard every second or Gidding will take advantage.. we leard this lesson the hard way last night..
Good luck to both teams.. this should be a good one..

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 05:13 PM
WT better get ready for a passing team in a hurry. Giddings will wear you out with tunnel screens and short passes and they have the skill players to make something happen after the catch. LH Soph & Jr DB's had to grow up quick last night and it was painful at even as well as they played overall for their first varsity game. If their quick passes aren't enought #28 is one of the better backs I've seen. He made a lot of LH players look silly and if you don't maintain backside containment he will eat you up. Better wrap up and hang on for help.
If the Texans stong suit is running stick with it. LH o line controlled the line and had a good push all night.
Don't take Giddings lightly or your pay.. They are a very good team and play hard and have no quit in them. the game is 60 minutes and you better play hard every second or Gidding will take advantage.. we leard this lesson the hard way last night..

Good take on it Bassact. I am sure our coaches will heed your advice andgear up for a tough fight.

LHPfactory
09-01-2012, 05:31 PM

I agree

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I'd say at this stage we are not good enough to take anyone lightly and at some point we're are going to lose a game..rather it be early than late. This is not to say that I don't believe we can beat Giddings. I was glad to hear they'd won and will be feeling real good coming into Wimberley knowing how we struggled. One thing is for sure...we're gonna find out quick just how good Llano was last night.
As far as Giddings passing game or any other team..I say bring it...it's the only way we can gain experience at defensing it. Our secondary needs to grow and I believe they will. Just how fast remains to be seen.

LHPfactory
09-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I'd say at this stage we are not good enough to take anyone lightly and at some point we're are going to lose a game..rather it be early than late. This is not to say that I don't believe we can beat Giddings. I was glad to hear they'd won and will be feeling real good coming into Wimberley knowing how we struggled. One thing is for sure...we're gonna find out quick just how good Llano was last night.
As far as Giddings passing game or any other team..I say bring it...it's the only way we can gain experience at defensing it. Our secondary needs to grow and I believe they will. Just how fast remains to be seen.

I also agree, Its how the kids respond to it at this time of year that really counts. On another post, I said just that, If LH responds correctly to what happened last night they will be a much better team. In 2006 LH beat Gatesville to death and then lost 2 games in a row to Cuero and Wimberley, both were barn burners like last night in Giddings. I honestly believe those two games in 2006 and the way LH responded to them are what got the snow ball rolling for the championship that year. A slap (or 2) in the face early can be very positive if the team responds and grows from it.

regaleagle
09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Guess what? Out of all the growing pains, injured qb in first half, and younger players trying to play at this level for the first time(and play together), Wimberley still somehow managed to win. That in itself is a positive, esp. coming back from a deficit to win late. This shows character and great desire from the players to win. Just something to hang your hats on, Texan fans.

wimbo_pro
09-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Guess what? Out of all the growing pains, injured qb in first half, and younger players trying to play at this level for the first time(and play together), Wimberley still somehow managed to win. That in itself is a positive, esp. coming back from a deficit to win late. This shows character and great desire from the players to win. Just something to hang your hats on, Texan fans.

No doubt, Regal. A win with lessons to learn is far better than a loss with lessons to learn. The coaches found a way to win...as they are VERY good at doing. We are in good shape, and in good hands.

1st and goal
09-01-2012, 08:26 PM
On a side note, I was driving on Hwy 21 thru Dime Box friday afternoon and was thinking about the tragic accident Dennis Smith had in which his friend was killed. I was just wondering if Dennis was playing and where?

I'm going to try to make next week's game in Wimberley. Hopefully we can have a meet and greet. I'm trying to remember when Giddings came to Wimbo (with Brock Fitzhenry), and put it on you guys. Was it 2006?

lbjacj
09-01-2012, 08:32 PM
On a side note, I was driving on Hwy 21 thru Dime Box friday afternoon and was thinking about the tragic accident Dennis Smith had in which his friend was killed. I was just wondering if Dennis was playing and where?

I'm going to try to make next week's game in Wimberley. Hopefully we can have a meet and greet. I'm trying to remember when Giddings came to Wimbo (with Brock Fitzhenry), and put it on you guys. Was it 2006?

Dennis and Blakemore both signed with Blinn JC but only Blakemore is on their roster. Not sure what's up with Dennis.

And yes it was 2006. We may have a repeat.

1st and goal
09-01-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't think there will be a repeat. That was a drumming from a team that ran, and ran, and ran some more. This team is doing a lot more complicated stuff and its early in the season. They have plenty to learn and I wish they'd sub some guys in and out on the D line to keep 'em fresh.

Cam
09-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Probably didn't need a poll on this one.

...nevermind.....

Cam
09-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Wimb is gonna be alright...and they will get better....I saw enough at scrimmage with Burnet to know they'll be tough....the D will carry them. I was one who voted that Llano would win. Just had a feelin' they were better than most folks thought. But I was wrong by one point.......I knew they had some good players from talkin' to some Llano folks. Looks like 8-3A is going to be a battle every friday.......

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Would suggest to all interested to pick up a copy of an FNF magazine. Great read. They picked Llano to finish last in the district but with a sound 'what ifs' for the season. It appears those what ifs just may be coming into play. For sure time will tell. Cam..did those Billies battle enough for you?

Cam
09-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Would suggest to all interested to pick up a copy of an FNF magazine. Great read. They picked Llano to finish last in the district but with a sound 'what ifs' for the season. It appears those what ifs just may be coming into play. For sure time will tell. Cam..did those Billies battle enough for you?

I was impressed with the Billies for sure......Luckily, Burnet has a gem for a QB with his pinpoint accuracy...it was lookin' like just another night at Bulldog Stadium with a 20-0 halftime lead...Burnet QB Kiser went out late in the 2nd with ankle injury...Second half Fred came out firing...By the way, they have a nice QB too...next thing you know they're up 21-20. Kiser was hobblin' the sidelines mad as hell and kept approaching the coaches to let him back in!....They finally did in the 4th quarter and Kiser worked his magic again with the go ahead TD pass that he threw under pressure on his back foot....He seems to have a knack for putting the ball where he wants it plus has great vision...Anyway, I think this young Burnet team learned alot. They will go as Kiser goes......Running game needs something....maybe they need to bring up the junior olympian Foster kid who is currently on the freshman team..He can fly but he may be a little young for varsity...I'm guessin' he'll be there next year to compliment Kiser's passing game....Look out for those Billies!!....They never give up!!!

sandmaster
09-01-2012, 11:19 PM
http://tomsuarez.zenfolio.com/llano_vs_wimberley_varsity_football/h40f9eb7e#h4102c7b0
This is the llano photographers website. He took a good amount of pictures of wimberley kids. Thought I would share with y'all..

Tejastrue
09-01-2012, 11:45 PM
http://tomsuarez.zenfolio.com/llano_vs_wimberley_varsity_football/h40f9eb7e#h4102c7b0
This is the llano photographers website. He took a good amount of pictures of wimberley kids. Thought I would share with y'all..

Nice try...LOL

sandmaster
09-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Nice try...LOL

I just linked his page didn't mean for it to be on a certain picture.

sandmaster
09-01-2012, 11:55 PM
http://tomsuarez.zenfolio.com/llano_vs_wimberley_varsity_football/h40f9eb7e#h40fc69e8
Tejastrue will like this link better.

Tejastrue
09-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Well..if I have to sign on to something then I get a little suspicious.

sandmaster
09-02-2012, 01:12 AM
The sign up is so he can send special deals on pictures out each month.

wimbo_pro
09-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Wimb is gonna be alright...and they will get better....I saw enough at scrimmage with Burnet to know they'll be tough....the D will carry them. I was one who voted that Llano would win. Just had a feelin' they were better than most folks thought. But I was wrong by one point.......I knew they had some good players from talkin' to some Llano folks. Looks like 8-3A is going to be a battle every friday.......

Yes you were, Cam (regarding voting for Llano). Turns out you were closer to the final outcome than any of us were. But...a win is a win, and we have work to do.

Tejastrue
09-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Good post game article, fair, without too much homerism...

http://www.llanonews.com/news/103518/

NastySlot
09-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Art Dulgach is a good guy and I always enjoy his articles.

Manso/V8
09-02-2012, 04:12 PM

The Texans should wear that target on their back with pride, they earned it.

wimbo_pro
09-02-2012, 08:09 PM
The Texans should wear that target on their back with pride, they earned it.

So true...we earned that target. We should expect it, revel in it, and use it to our advantage. It will be there every game, have no doubt about that. Small price to pay for the glory of a State Championship.

buff4ever
09-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Well, the buffs have your target in our sites. Look forward to a great game.

Manso/V8
09-02-2012, 08:21 PM
So true...we earned that target. We should expect it, revel in it, and use it to our advantage. It will be there every game, have no doubt about that. Small price to pay for the glory of a State Championship.

Yes, but if you lose to the Buffs, that target is gonna start to fade......I'm eating buffalo burgers all week.

wimbo_pro
09-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Well, the buffs have your target in our sites. Look forward to a great game.

I am sure they do. They have had our target in their sites for years, and have dealt us losses. But...unfortunately, history hasnt treated Giddings as kindly as the Texans. I look forward to Friday night!

ogg
09-02-2012, 09:26 PM
The interesting thing is that Cuero could probably have beaten Llano last year even as down as they were. Llano, however, is a whole lot better this year. Cuero evidently is as well. I am glad that we did not play Cuero last night. Might not have made it out with a win. Nevertheless, I was also impressed with 87, also their QB Rabb and the tailack ran hard. They also had a very good defensive line or maybe they were helped by our offensive line.

Llano is underrated, they're very much improved from our last game with them. More passing, more speed, screens, etc. However, I also agree that our o-line made their D look very good.

ogg
09-02-2012, 09:32 PM

Agree with your pick-6 comment, Jones throws a dart and needs some "finesse" throws at times.

ogg
09-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Let's not forget Llano had two huge bonehead penalties that if not for those we'd probably be trying to explain the loss right now. Also we need serious work on our center snaps to the QB. Someone mentioned that last week. Ugly......

Poor center snaps takes Jone's mind off the play at hand and has to concentrate on the possible snap fail. It's bad, bad, bad thing in so many ways.

ogg
09-02-2012, 09:42 PM

I like this Cerday kid. Just a thought, maybe Jones should play more safety against passing teams and Cerday play more QB. Jones is a bad ass safety

ogg
09-02-2012, 09:51 PM

T'was 2007, Brock ran virtually every play, , , all over us.

Tejastrue
09-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Art Dulgach is a good guy and I always enjoy his articles.

Would love to have him covering our games.

rb585
09-03-2012, 10:13 AM
T'was 2007, Brock ran virtually every play, , , all over us.

I either skipped that game or I've blocked it out of my memory, because I don't remember it at all.

I do remember going to Giddings in 2006 and seeing the same thing, though -- Fitzhenry would get behind that big line, always pick the correct seam to hit, and always fall forward for extra yardage when tackled. He was unstoppable.

Gone Fishing
09-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Poor center snaps takes Jone's mind off the play at hand and has to concentrate on the possible snap fail. It's bad, bad, bad thing in so many ways.

I agree the snaps are not good alot and need work, but Jones is good at always getting them some how, he had to grab one of them one handed in first half and jump for several others.

I like this Cerday kid. Just a thought, maybe Jones should play more safety against passing teams and Cerday play more QB. Jones is a bad ass safety

Not a good idea Ogg, I think just the opposite. I think they need to find another safety (there is some others) and only put Jones in when it is obvious situations and let him concentrate more on offense only. Kind of like Blakemore last year. He only came in at safety at certain obvious times and concentrated on receiver and returns full blast.