PDA

View Full Version : Coyboys Observations

Bullaholic
08-26-2012, 10:24 AM
The Cowboys looked pretty good on both sides of the ball last night at home against St. Louis. I know all the fans have been just parched for a consistent showing of some kind from the 'Pokes. Still, it's only pre-season, and if they can put up an effort like this against the Giants and get the win, maybe it will be a real sign of improvement on the field instead of making sound bytes for the media. Some good things I noticed last night:

-Romo threw the ball well under pressure, and made the throws he is supposed to make.
-Harris appears to have some speed, and showed he can catch the ball, plus be a threat on KO returns.
-Beasley reminds me of a young Wes Welker. His engine never stops running.
-DeMarco Murray shows consistently why he is the real deal. That is the mark of the future and past great ones.
-Claiborne defended a pass in the Endzone which showed a flash of why he will be worth his pricetag---particuliarlly in the Red Zone.
-Sean Lee never takes a play off, and is a real playmaker both against the run and the pass, as well as rushing the passer.
-Orton is a capable No. 2.
-Hatcher looks like he is ready for a break-out season.
-The "O" line had a decent night, but there were too many blocking assignments missed by young backs. That will get your QB hurt quickly.
-Dan Bailey looks like gold in the kicking game, so far.

Old Tiger
08-26-2012, 11:06 AM
The Cowboys looked pretty good on both sides of the ball last night at home against St. Louis. I know all the fans have been just parched for a consistent showing of some kind from the 'Pokes. Still, it's only pre-season, and if they can put up an effort like this against the Giants and get the win, maybe it will be a real sign of improvement on the field instead of making sound bytes for the media. Some good things I noticed last night:

-Romo threw the ball well under pressure, and made the throws he is supposed to make.
-Harris appears to have some speed, and showed he can catch the ball, plus be a threat on KO returns.
-Beasley reminds me of a young Wes Welker. His engine never stops running.
-DeMarco Murray shows consistently why he is the real deal. That is the mark of the future and past great ones.
-Claiborne defended a pass in the Endzone which showed a flash of why he will be worth his pricetag---particuliarlly in the Red Zone.
-Sean Lee never takes a play off, and is a real playmaker both against the run and the pass, as well as rushing the passer.
-Orton is a capable No. 2.
-Hatcher looks like he is ready for a break-out season.
-The "O" line had a decent night, but there were too many blocking assignments missed by young backs. That will get your QB hurt quickly.
-Dan Bailey looks like gold in the kicking game, so far.Murray the real deal? Lets wait a season or two before you crown him.

Macarthur
08-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Murray the real deal? Lets wait a season or two before you crown him.

Just so we all know, how long does a guy have to produce before we can call him a good NFL RB?

regaleagle
08-26-2012, 01:31 PM
Let's not forget that these were the Rams the Cowboys played last nite....not the Giants. Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for a better product on the field this season too, but the lines are still not dominating on either side of the ball so far, IMO. Romo can only operate to a higher degree of success with an Oline that will allow for that. Compare what you saw out of the Cowboys line play and running game to that of the Texans last nite to get the gist of my comment.

Bullaholic
08-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Murray the real deal? Lets wait a season or two before you crown him.

Shut Up, Casey! :D I ain't one of these kids you try to slap around....:D

Let's put it this way---if we were talking about Dez Bryant---you may have a stronger case. I don't think there is a credible source out there who does not feel DeMarco Murray is the total package. He has delivered in every game he has played as a pro.

Old Tiger
08-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Shut Up, Casey! :D I ain't one of these kids you try to slap around....:D

Let's put it this way---if we were talking about Dez Bryant---you may have a stronger case. I don't think there is a credible source out there who does not feel DeMarco Murray is the total package. He has delivered in every game he has played as a pro.
He is also very injury prone.

Bullaholic
08-26-2012, 04:40 PM
He is also very injury prone.

Think you could run on a broken ankle? And it's not like he does it every month. That's more like bad luck.

Old Tiger
08-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Think you could run on a broken ankle? And it's not like he does it every month. That's more like bad luck.
Yes I think I could.

jk

These injuries go back to college its not bad luck. It appears to be a chronic issue with him.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarco-murray?id=2495207

Read the last sentence of his scouting report.

bobcat1
08-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Maybe just maybe he got hurt playing Snyder.:D

Txbroadcaster
08-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Yes I think I could.

jk

These injuries go back to college its not bad luck. It appears to be a chronic issue with him.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/demarco-murray?id=2495207

Read the last sentence of his scouting report.

Funny thing is..he missed all of 4 games in 4 years in college

Macarthur
08-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Funny thing is..he missed all of 4 games in 4 years in college

the injury thing with Murray is a weird thing. there is this huge perception and he did have some injuries. BUT, when you look at the fact that he only missed 4 games in 4 years and he is the all time leader in the history of the school in TDs, that speaks to the fact that he has to be on the field to be productive.

So what's the answer?

Macarthur
08-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Let's not forget that these were the Rams the Cowboys played last nite....not the Giants. Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping for a better product on the field this season too, but the lines are still not dominating on either side of the ball so far, IMO. Romo can only operate to a higher degree of success with an Oline that will allow for that. Compare what you saw out of the Cowboys line play and running game to that of the Texans last nite to get the gist of my comment.

True that the Rams are probably going to struggle again this year.

However, keep in mind that as bad as the injuries have been for the Cowboys, the Giants are actually in worse shape. The strength of their team, DL, is all kinds of banged up. I actually think the Cowboys can go in there and win this game.

Eagle 1
08-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Let's not forget that these were the Rams the Cowboys played last nite....not the Giants.

I agree. I think the defense does look better, but I'm still not sure about the offense.

Bullaholic
08-27-2012, 10:05 AM
A friend of mine wrote on his blog that he thinks the Cowboys are treating Dez Bryant like a 12yo with their behavior rules. I'm thinking---Well, if the shoe fits........

1st and goal
08-27-2012, 10:08 AM
True that the Rams are probably going to struggle again this year.

However, keep in mind that as bad as the injuries have been for the Cowboys, the Giants are actually in worse shape. The strength of their team, DL, is all kinds of banged up. I actually think the Cowboys can go in there and win this game.

I think that Murray is an awesome back. But I will be surprised if the Pokes win against the Giants. Happy, but surprised.

Bullaholic
08-27-2012, 10:16 AM
I think that Murray is an awesome back. But I will be surprised if the Pokes win against the Giants. Happy, but surprised.

The Giants are a good team because Tom Coughlin makes them work hard. However, I think the Cowboys take this one because their defense should be much better this season.

1st and goal
08-27-2012, 11:02 AM
The Giants are a good team because Tom Coughlin makes them work hard. However, I think the Cowboys take this one because their defense should be much better this season.

Hope y'all are right...Cowboys are gonna have to hit on all cylinders to win.

Farmersfan
08-27-2012, 01:35 PM

The Cowboy's O-line played quite a bit better than the Texan's o-line did against the Saints who has a much worse defense than the Rams. Not sure what your point was Eagle..........

regaleagle
08-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I didn't see that. What I saw was all the qb's with the Texans having more time than the qb's for the Cowboys. That's my point. Whether the Rams D is better than the Saints D this year is not the point, and remains to be seen. Maybe the Saints Dline "looked bad" against the Texans superior Oline....is that possible???

Farmersfan
08-30-2012, 01:31 PM
I didn't see that. What I saw was all the qb's with the Texans having more time than the qb's for the Cowboys. That's my point. Whether the Rams D is better than the Saints D this year is not the point, and remains to be seen. Maybe the Saints Dline "looked bad" against the Texans superior Oline....is that possible???

Unless you want us to believe the Saint's defense is much, much better than the Rams then the Dallas O-line performed far better than the Houston O-line........................The proof is in the pudding!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012082554/2012/PRE3/texans@saints#menu=highlights&tab=analyze

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012082555/2012/PRE3/rams@cowboys#menu=highlights&tab=analyze

Macarthur
08-30-2012, 01:37 PM
The cuts are going to be interesting at a couple of positions.

You can't keep all of Beasley, Coale & Holmes. Gonna have to pick 2 of the three.

LB: Conner or Lemon. Hamilton?

2QBs or 3?

RBs?

Anyone out there on the waiver wire from another team?