PDA

View Full Version : Houston Chroncle 2012 3A Football Preview

CTS
08-26-2012, 06:55 AM
http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/3A-No-1-La-Marque-Expectations-remain-high-3810170.php

Manso/V8
08-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Coach Jackson has the right focus.

"I think on a statewide level, you've heard more Stephenville, Stephenville, Stephenville," La Marque head coach Mike Jackson said. "And I think they've embraced, 'We're going to go win state.' I've embraced, 'We have to play Galveston Ball Aug. 30.'"

Bull's-eye
08-26-2012, 09:22 PM
The Chronicle doesn't do their homework when it comes to 3A football. Where is El Campo & Bellville?

Tejastrue
08-26-2012, 09:33 PM
The thread title is rather misleading.

Roughneck93
08-26-2012, 09:39 PM
The Chronicle doesn't do their homework when it comes to 3A football. Where is El Campo & Bellville?

And Columbia??

CTS
08-26-2012, 09:52 PM
The thread title is rather misleading.

Actually it's not. That is the Chronicle 3A-Small School Poll. It lists their top 10 teams.

Roughneck93
08-26-2012, 10:02 PM
The Chronicle has Royal at #9, but have them finishing 6th in their district behind Sealy, El Campo, Bellville, Columbus and Wharton.:vrycnfsd:

http://blog.chron.com/prepsports/2012/08/previewing-the-districts-in-class-3a-2a-and-private-schools/

Manso/V8
08-26-2012, 10:50 PM
The Chronicle sometimes includes Bellville and Columbus among the Houston area teams, and sometimes not. I would imagine the same goes for Wharton, and they probably consider El Campo outside the Houston area. The biggest focus is on 5A and 4A. Most people I know don't consider The Chronicle very good paper anyway, especially for the 4th largest city in the US. It is one place you can find high school game stats for a lot of teams.

HEMOTOXIC
08-27-2012, 01:08 AM
What I was told by a Chronicle writer when it comes to teams that they consider Houston area was:

As far as Navasota goes, which is 73 miles from downtown Navasota to downtown Houston and about 40 minutes to the 1960 area, is that because Navasota isn't in a district with teams that are closer, I.E. Stafford, Sealy, etc, to Houston, they don't consider Navasota in the "Houston Area." My answer to them was, at the time the girls basketball had made it to state championship the year prior, there was a big write up on the Lady Rattlers. But, since Navasota had moved to the district including Giddings, Smithville, Rockdale, La Grange, etc, Navasota would not be covered.

I will say that when the Houston Post was around, Navasota was always included, whether 3a or 4a. I guess the Chronicle has to draw their lines somewhere.. And Hempstead is as far north as they will go when a team doesn't share a district with a "Houston Area" team.

CTS
08-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Last year hey didn't even do district previews on 3A. It was just one overview of all the districts. This year there was more coverage of districts 23, 24 and 25. I believe that's due, right or wrong, to Yates and La Marque dropping. Hopefully they would continue to expand their coverage.

On that note, Yates being # 2 in that poll shows their limited knowledge. From what I heard Yates only had 45 kids total in the program suited up at their first scrimmage. I believe Columbia, El Campo, Navasota and Bellville would all beat them handily.

cougartino
08-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Last year hey didn't even do district previews on 3A. It was just one overview of all the districts. This year there was more coverage of districts 23, 24 and 25. I believe that's due, right or wrong, to Yates and La Marque dropping. Hopefully they would continue to expand their coverage.

On that note, Yates being # 2 in that poll shows their limited knowledge. From what I heard Yates only had 45 kids total in the program suited up at their first scrimmage. I believe Columbia, El Campo, Navasota and Bellville would all beat them handily.

And BINGO was his name! :nerd: