So lets get it started.

Predictions?

I have the Necks by 21.

Roughneck93
08-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I like the Necks by 21 as well.

Necks88Fan
08-27-2012, 10:47 PM
I think we are capable of that spread but, the only way i see us winning by that much is if we start running away with it early and maintaining a respectable lead. I still think there is some looking to be done and some possible shuffling around. I don't expect HC to show more than he needs to get it done and reduce chances of injuries, atleast that has been my observation so far. I know it's a full fledged game and not the scrimmages we've been seeing but it still warrants the same approach in predistrict IMO. To me, non-district record means nothing but showing too much of your hand and injuries does.

Saggy Aggie
08-29-2012, 05:45 PM
ttt..

Pudlugger
08-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't know much about Brazosport but i know West Columbia has some excellent rbs and big lineman. I think the Roughnecks break out the season opener to get the win.
WC by 13

Necks88Fan
08-29-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm gonna say Roughnecks win it by 13 and i expect the HC will ease off the throttle a little and get a few prospects some reps and experience.

Dogs_21
08-29-2012, 10:27 PM
WC by 28

Hater
08-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Surprised B-port still has a football program...they've been pretty turrible for a few years now. Maybe the stench of Freeport scared all the affletes away.

Roughneck93
08-30-2012, 07:06 AM
WC by 28

:2thumbsup Nothing would please me more than to give the Exporters a complete beat down.

Saggy Aggie
08-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Well, looks like im gonna make the trip down from CS to see my boys play tomorrow night, barring some major change of plans

'Necks 2013-14
08-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Well, looks like im gonna make the trip down from CS to see my boys play tomorrow night, barring some major change of plans:2thumbsup "C" ya there bud. Drive safe.

yellaseeker
08-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Come on down and watch the ship sink, Saggy. Columbia 29 - B'port shrimpers 13

Hater
08-31-2012, 08:37 AM
B-port only had 17 or so kids (not kidding) on their freshman team. Columbia's fish beat the breaks off them (up 32-0 in the 2nd). Hopefully B-port's varsity has more bodies on the sideline tonight..

Saggy Aggie
08-31-2012, 10:57 AM
I'll be there tonight guys. I wanna see my boys play

Roughneck93
08-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Game preview from The Facts...

BACK TO BUSINESS: Rudolph, Lynch add to history, squaring off in 1st game as head coaches.

By ALEX YBARRA | Posted: Friday, August 31, 2012 2:00 am
Brazosport’s Ben Rudolph and Columbia’s Randy Lynch have remained friends since they coached together at Brazoswood in 2004. Since then, Rudolph bounced around with stints at Angleton and Abilene Cooper, and Lynch hunkered down at West Columbia, both flourishing as assistant coaches.
It was only a matter of time until they each snagged a head coaching job, which they did this year — Rudolph taking over a struggling Brazosport program and Lynch hoping to continue a recent run of success at Columbia.
With that history, it’s a pretty funny coincidence the two will debut as head coaches against each other at 7:30 p.m. today at Griggs Field in West Columbia.

“He’s a quality individual, and I’m excited we get to share the experience together,” Rudolph said. “It’s something we’ll remember for the rest of our lives. Win lose or draw, I’ll still have the same opinion of him.”

That’s a high opinion, and the thoughts are reciprocated.

“He’s done a great job and he’s gonna continue to do a great job at Brazosport,” Lynch said of Rudolph. “He’ll have his kids ready to play. He’s trying to do things right there obviously, and he’s gonna do well.”

But someone has to lose.

After going 3-17 the past two seasons, the Exporters have undergone countless changes since Rudolph took over, the most apparent, however, has been a spike in enthusiasm. From Lynch’s perspective, he’s seen measurable improvement on the field after breaking down Brazosport’s two scrimmages.

“I think it’s a very evenly matched game,” Lynch said. “I know their record (last year) doesn’t reflect that. There was definitely a lot of improvement from scrimmage one to scrimmage two. As a coach, that’s what you’re looking for.”

Columbia has been on the opposite end of the spectrum the past couple years, making back-to-back trips to the Class 3A state semifinals. The Roughnecks bring back several experienced two-way players in running backs/linebackers Floyd Bess and Broderick Thomas, safety/quarterback Willis Johnson and tight end/defensive end Jerry Wayne Cotten, to name a few.

Rudolph said Columbia deserves a lot of credit for sticking to its smashmouth style of offense and playing to the strengths of an athletic defense, a formula that helped the ’Necks to a 25-3 record the last two years.

“I think what makes them good is their kids knowing the system they’re in,” Rudolph said. “Not much has changed from what they’ve done in previous years.”

In previous years, the two have tussled in close contests. The teams have opened the season with each other since 2006, going 3-3 during that span. Columbia won last season, 31-21, and Brazosport the year before, 26-14.

Overall, Brazosport is 40-17-1 in the series.

“It’s the first game of the season, there are a lot of unknowns,” Lynch said. “We’re definitely trying to prepare our kids the best we can and try to get them to understand there are gonna be ups and downs.”

One known in this matchup is both teams look to the ground game for consistency.

Brazosport’s running attack should be led by Claude Lowe and JaMarcus Few, but quarterback Cameron Fisher can take off if needed.

“They had success running the ball,” Lynch said. “I think that’s something they’re counting on doing.”

The Exporters will need to find a way to slow down Bess, whose quick speed around the edge is tough to contain. Thomas provides a bigger, more punishing presence to switch up tempos out of the backfield.

“We certainly haven’t done ourselves any favors in Brazosport by scheduling Columbia for the first game, but it will be a good test of where we are with my young program,” Rudolph said.

The game can be heard at legacysportsnetwork.com (http://legacysportsnetwork.com/)

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_b545b0e8-f326-11e1-bb01-0019bb2963f4.html

Necked
08-31-2012, 01:27 PM
B-port only had 17 or so kids (not kidding) on their freshman team. ..
It looked like Columbia had about 50 freshmen in the team photo. Haven't had that many in a longgggg time. What was the final scores for the sub-varsities last night?

Roughneck93
08-31-2012, 01:33 PM
It looked like Columbia had about 50 freshmen in the team photo. Haven't had that many in a longgggg time. What was the final scores for the sub-varsities last night?

Freshmen...
Necks 48
BPort 20

JV...
Bport 24
Necks 14

Necked
08-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see the JV struggle this year what with all the best Sophs being jumped up to varsity...

Saggy Aggie
08-31-2012, 02:37 PM
How many sophs are on varsity?

Necked
08-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Looks like there are about six of them...

Hater
08-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, looks like im gonna make the trip down from CS to see my boys play tomorrow night, barring some major change of plans

What year did you play?

Saggy Aggie
08-31-2012, 04:58 PM
What year did you play?

I didnt play football but i watch every game i get a chance to :)

Saggy Aggie
08-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Aside from the obvious offense/defense... I'm particularly interested to see WC's special teams tonight.

ST was a HUGE advantage on every opponent last year and I'd like to see us keep it that way.

'Necks 2013-14
08-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Aside from the obvious offense/defense... I'm particularly interested to see WC's special teams tonight.

ST was a HUGE advantage on every opponent last year and I'd like to see us keep it that way.Sag, me thinks we won't see very many deep kick-offs come our way from now on. Should have been 3---count em'---3 KO returns for TD's!! I do believe we have re-loaded well in the return department.

Saggy Aggie
08-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Sag, me thinks we won't see very many deep kick-offs come our way from now on. Should have been 3---count em'---3 KO returns for TD's!! I do believe we have re-loaded well in the return department. yeah our KO RETURN team is fine.

Coverage could use some serious work. And the kicker looks like he has a good leg. Should be able to hit some decent fgs.

Had 1 EP blocked. Think it was a bad snap though

Dub-C
09-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Do y'all realize one of our skilled position players didn't even get on the field tonight? He'll make a huge contribution to the team when he does.

Saggy Aggie
09-01-2012, 03:11 AM
Yeah There's a thread about updates for the game and the first post I noted that Darius Bell wasn't playing, I'm assuming due to issues with the transfer and getting a waiver to play but honestly that's just speculation on my part.

But yeah, he's gonna make a big impact when he gets in there

Roughneck93
09-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Yeah There's a thread about updates for the game and the first post I noted that Darius Bell wasn't playing, I'm assuming due to issues with the transfer and getting a waiver to play but honestly that's just speculation on my part.

But yeah, he's gonna make a big impact when he gets in there

That's what I was told concerning Darius Bell and that he will return next week.

yellaseeker
09-02-2012, 03:22 AM
That's what I was told concerning Darius Bell and that he will return next week.

????

Roughneck93
09-02-2012, 01:44 PM
????

Transfer rules is what I was told as the reason Bell wasn't out there. I don't know for sure though....just what I heard.

Saggy Aggie
09-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Anyone have any stats from the game?

I didn't see any on maxpreps or the chron.

Roughneck93
09-02-2012, 02:41 PM
The Facts article on the game had some stats...

By BILLY LOVELESS | Posted: Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:00 am
WEST COLUMBIA —
New coach, familiar result.
Coming off state semifinal performances the past two years, the Columbia Roughnecks looked in fine form Friday night on the way to a 58-31 win over the Brazosport Exporters.
The Roughnecks earned the victory by dominating every aspect of the contest. They pounded out 369 rushing yards, led by a 174-yard performance by Floyd Bess, along with two touchdowns on kickoff returns. Columbia’s defense also forced four turnovers and scored a defensive touchdown.

“We had all three phases of the game working,” first-year Roughneck head coach Randy Lynch said. “There’s still a lot of work to be done, but I’m really pleased with the effort and the execution, for the most part. It’s a good victory for the Roughnecks.

“It’s the first game of the year, and there were so many unknowns,” he said. “We have so many kids who hadn’t seen the lights on Friday night. They stepped up and hopefully grew up a little tonight.”

Also a huge key in the contest was an explosive offensive outburst that netted the Roughnecks 44 points after only two quarters of play, essentially putting the contest out of the Exporters’ reach at halftime. Entering the locker room, Columbia held a commanding 44-17 advantage over Brazosport, another team with a new coach in Ben Rudolph.

The Roughnecks did a bulk of their damage by taking advantage of Exporter turnovers. Brazosport had three first-half turnovers and all three resulted in Columbia touchdowns.

The Roughnecks dented the scoreboard first midway through the opening quarter when Bess pounded the ball in from 8 yards out. The score came after Roughneck Devin Woodard recovered a Brazosport fumble at the Exporter 32-yard line. After Greg Gomez’s PAT kick, Columbia held a 7-0 lead.

Brazosport quickly responded when Emond Hobbs took the ensuing kickoff and raced 94 yards to the end zone to knot the contest at 7.

From that point, Columbia was close to unstoppable for the rest of the half.

With 42 seconds left in the opening quarter, Roughneck quarterback Willis Johnson ran in a 4-yard score for a 13-7 lead. Then, on Brazosport’s next possession, Woodard came down with an interception and, two plays later, Johnson ran in his second score of the game. The touchdown came from 45 yards out, and was followed by a conversion run by Coleman Roark to up the score to 21-7.

Things kept rolling downhill for Brazosport on its next possession when a fumble was recovered by Columbia’s Lamarquis Fields, who ran it back for another score, extending the advantage to 29-7.

The Exporters did cut into the lead when Hobbs completed a 66-yard scoring pass to Claude Lowe, reducing the deficit to 15, at 29-14. The Roughnecks weren’t done, though.

Before the half ended, Fields returned a kickoff 96 yards for a score and Bess went on a 62-yard scoring dash. Abram Garcia scored three more points for the Exporters on a 30-yard field goal.

“We might be all juniors and seniors, but we’re all young in my program,” Rudolph said of his Exporters. “We knew going into the game that we couldn’t turn the ball over, but we did. And that was our downfall. Columbia has a really good program and they have a lot of tradition. That’s where we want to be in a few years, and we’ll get there.”

Despite the 44 first-half points, the Roughnecks weren’t perfect, as they committed three turnovers in the opening 24 minutes.

The second half consisted of a scoreless third stanza before both teams added a few final-quarter scores to finalize the game. Columbia scored on a Broderick Thomas 3-yard touchdown run, as well as an 84-yard kickoff return by Bess, his third TD of the game.

The Exporters added to their tally with a 3-yard scoring rumble by Jamarcus Few and a 1-yard quarterback sneak from Cameron Fisher.

“I was proud of the effort in the second half,” Rudolph said. “A lot of teams would have rolled over, but we didn’t. We kept fighting. There is something for us to build on there.”

Columbia (1-0) finished with 415 total yards, compared to 246 by Brazosport. Bess led all rushers with 174 yards on 18 carries, followed by Johnson with 87 on nine rushes. Thomas also had a big game on the ground with 71 yards. Johnson completed 2-of-5 passes for 46 yards.

Brazosport (0-1) was paced by a 34-yard rushing performance by Fisher, while Lowe added 32 yards. At quarterback, Hobbs completed 3-of-13 passes for 109 yards and one interception. Lowe ended with two receptions for 73 yards.
http://thefacts.com/