PDA

View Full Version : Devine - Navarro Scrimmage

bag-o-chips
08-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Overall Navarro looked good. Looks like Devine will be missing the Gingebread man this year. Correct me if wrong but the controlled part was 3-3 and navarro won the live quarter 7-6. Navarro may surprise a few this year.

Tejastrue
08-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Overall Navarro looked good. Looks like Devine will be missing the Gingebread man this year. Correct me if wrong but the controlled part was 3-3 and navarro won the live quarter 7-6. Navarro may surprise a few this year.

I would not be surprised. Good luck this season.

bag-o-chips
08-26-2012, 06:05 AM
http://seguingazette.com/sports/article_5855abdc-ef01-11e1-ad0f-001a4bcf887a.html

Kibbe | 0 comments

GERONIMO — Evan DeLeon scored twice Friday night as the Navarro Panthers tuned up for the regular season in a scrimmage with the Devine Warhorses.

The Panthers tallied four touchdowns against the Warhorses, which finished 13-1 last season, while surrendering three.

It was the ninth straight year that Navarro and Devine have faced each other in a preseason scrimmage. Navarro head coach Les Goad believes they are the perfect team to get his squad ready for the season.

“It’s a great scrimmage for us because they get after you physically,” he said. “They are a really good gauge for us in the trenches and good physical preparation for when the season starts next week.”

The first play of the scrimmage went exactly as Goad drew it up. Quarterback Ty Durham hit tight end Slade Hudson downfield and the senior trotted in for a 70-yard touchdown.

Their next score came on a 12-yard run by DeLeon at the end of a nine play drive. It was set up by a 24-yard Miguel Castillo run and a 13-yard completion from Collin Cowan to Hudson.

Zane Conlin got Navarro’s third score on a 1-yard run and DeLeon added the fourth on a 2-yard carry on the Panthers’ last offensive play of the scrimmage.

Defensively, Navarro stuffed Devine’s running game. The Warhorses were held to 56 yards on 26 attempts on the night. Several Panthers made key stops, including Hudson and defensive backs L.J. Anderson and Camden Colville. Lineman Javier Esparza grabbed one of the team’s two sacks.

But as occurred last week, the Panthers were burned by the deep ball. Devine hit touchdown passes of 52 and 35 yards on its first possession, each to receivers who were wide open.

However, the defense adjusted and shut down the pass for the rest of the night.

Goad believes his players showed in the scrimmage that they are ready for the real games to begin this week.

“We have some things to work on defensively and we need better mental focus on both sides of the ball,” he said. “But I liked how we overcame some mishaps and finished strong. That showed the mental toughness we will need to grow into the team we want to be.”

Navarro will kick off its 42nd season Friday when its travel to San Antonio to face the Antonian Apaches. The non-district matchup will start at 7:30 p.m.