PDA

View Full Version : Yoakum @ Columbus

YTBulldogs
08-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Season is finally here. Should be a very entertaining opener here.

YTBulldogs
08-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Columbus impressed me over in Gonzales Thursday. A revamped offense, that will have defenses not in shape dragging around, with their tongues hanging out, with their hurry up style. But, YT is ready after the quality opponents we've faced in our 2 scrimmages and will nip the Cardinals late, 27-25.

Pudlugger
08-25-2012, 01:02 PM
This will be a close game as both teams have loads of talent. I'll take Yoakum by a td only 'cause I can.

ogg
08-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Yoakum by 10.

Roughneck93
08-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Yoakum by 10.

+1, Yoakum by 10

regaleagle
08-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Good luck to your Bulldogs, YT. I hope you guys start out the season with a win. My cousin lives there, and his boys played on the Bulldog teams.

hookandladder
08-25-2012, 11:11 PM
This is a tough one for me, Yoakum is in our District this year however other then there punter they did not impress me with their overall talent last year. I will have to go with Columbus , when my son was in Jr. High Columbus definitely had more talent then Yoakum. Columbus by a TD.

YTBulldogs
08-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Good luck to your Bulldogs, YT. I hope you guys start out the season with a win. My cousin lives there, and his boys played on the Bulldog teams.

Thanks regaleagle. Seen your cousin Richard at the Goliad Whataburger Friday night returning from the Refugio scrimmage. Told me to tell ya hi. Boy, your team appears solid again this year. Best wished to ya'll too.

BigGreen61
08-26-2012, 02:01 PM
This is a tough one for me, Yoakum is in our District this year however other then there punter they did not impress me with their overall talent last year. I will have to go with Columbus , when my son was in Jr. High Columbus definitely had more talent then Yoakum. Columbus by a TD.

Iam going to agree with hook on this one. But every team in this will have to prove it's self on friday. So with that being said the kids got to play the game.

YTBulldogs
08-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Iam going to agree with hook on this one. But every team in this will have to prove it's self on friday. So with that being said the kids got to play the game.

Clem, your fully aware what Yoakum has. Why play dumb? :hand:

BigGreen61
08-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Clem, your fully aware what Yoakum has. Why play dumb? :hand:

Not playing dumb bud? You didn't respond to what hook said about ur DOGS jus wondering why?:1omg!:

hookandladder
08-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Not playing dumb bud? You didn't respond to what hook said about ur DOGS jus wondering why?:1omg!:

Not knocking the Dogs, I just know the talent is there in Columbus and now with Coach Sines coaching this team could be a dark horse in that District. Yoakum plays hard every week however last year in our game with them they seemed to be lacking the skilled kids that they have had in the past, will not hurting my feeling at all if Yoakum does win. Game could go eithere way however with it being in Columbus, I have to go with the home team. Good Luck to both teams.

YTBulldogs
08-26-2012, 06:21 PM

Clem, I don't have to respond to H&L. You've witnessed the talent we have at the skill positions first hand. You even tried to beat them as a Bandits coach back when this certain group of kid's started playing together in CYFL. A couple superbowl appearances and a championship from them. Even you mention each year, this should be a special season for this group when their seniors. I will agree with H&L, last year we had under 100 yards total offense vs. his Lep's, and should of been beaten by 30, instead of just 6-3. He can only go off that. You however know, this is one of Yoakum's most talented team's at the skill position in years. Will it fire? Don't know, it's up to them. But, if history is any indication---this group will and be successful. The key will be our 0-line play. If they create the time, running lanes, the Dog's will win, with the type of skill players we have out there on the field. This year, with OL Coach Jerome Perry (whom I know you know very well, and how he can develop and most importantly motivate) this line is coming together nicely. Been awhile we'll have a line like this too. Coach Perry takes this serious, and he knows their potential and is the right guy for this group.

YTBulldogs
08-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Had we stayed in prior district, Dog's make the playoff's easy and contend for district title. Now, much tougher district each week. Yoakum will have to work harder than they ever have and trust in each other, whom they've gone to war with many times. Prior mistakes could be made up, but--in this district, it could cost you a game and a playoff. Hope they remember the LaVernia game from last year?

hookandladder
08-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Clem, I don't have to respond to H&L. You've witnessed the talent we have at the skill positions first hand. You even tried to beat them as a Bandits coach back when this certain group of kid's started playing together in CYFL. A couple superbowl appearances and a championship from them. Even you mention each year, this should be a special season for this group when their seniors. I will agree with H&L, last year we had under 100 yards total offense vs. his Lep's, and should of been beaten by 30, instead of just 6-3. He can only go off that. You however know, this is one of Yoakum's most talented team's at the skill position in years. Will it fire? Don't know, it's up to them. But, if history is any indication---this group will and be successful. The key will be our 0-line play. If they create the time, running lanes, the Dog's will win, with the type of skill players we have out there on the field. This year, with OL Coach Jerome Perry (whom I know you know very well, and how he can develop and most importantly motivate) this line is coming together nicely. Been awhile we'll have a line like this too. Coach Perry takes this serious, and he knows their potential and is the right guy for this group.

So judging from last year your skilled players are underclassman, if so we are the same. Our Junior class is loaded with skilled players, hopefully that will push us over the hump and into the playoffs. We also have a sophomore DB/RB that can take it to the house on any given play, also our receivers can go get the ball. Like I said , our District is very solid this year and it will come down to which team plays consistance each week. Going to be exciting.

YTBulldogs
08-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Last year, we really didn't have a solid OL and the QB play wasn't what it should of been. We have two solid QB's, both over 6 foot (one hurt and been out since Bellville scrimmage, and not sure when he'll return with his banged up left shoulder). Hopefully back by district. If he don't play QB, he'll play somewhere on offense, cause this soph is like yours. Can go to the house on any given play. Just a exciting play maker. He is also one of the few, that play's both ways. Yes, the skill kid's this year are mainly seniors and a couple juniors and that soph sensation. Some played JV, freshman last year against LaGrange.

BigGreen61
08-26-2012, 09:22 PM

LARRY UR :1offtopc: cyfl you can ask mike who was the 1st victoria team to beat his pups?

YTBulldogs
08-26-2012, 09:51 PM
Clem, I do wish Caleb best of luck, and our neighbors to the south. As I have for several years. But, you speak out of both sides of your mouth. Didn't think I'd hear that from you. For you to say we are lacking skill players, is just not true and you know it. I'm done with this. Our proof will be on the field. We are a work in progress with it all geared to district games, and a playoff spot. We'll take it one game at a time. Over-looking no one this year I assure.

H&L and BG61, best wishes to your son's senior season. They are solid quality players, on good teams and we will have to handle them somehow.

Manso/V8
08-26-2012, 11:03 PM
I was impressed by Yoakum's play during the Bellville-Yoakum scrimmage a week ago Saturday.
They were better prepared and came to play.
It was a wake-up call for our players.
I would have picked Yoakum for sure until I read the comments about Columbus' in their scrimmage against Gonzales.
Now i am on the fence.

SintonFan_inAustin
08-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Good luck Yoakum, hoping for both Sinton and Yoakum to meet in WK 1 with 1-0 records.

YTBulldogs
08-27-2012, 06:24 AM
I was impressed by Yoakum's play during the Bellville-Yoakum scrimmage a week ago Saturday.
They were better prepared and came to play.
It was a wake-up call for our players.
I would have picked Yoakum for sure until I read the comments about Columbus' in their scrimmage against Gonzales.
Now i am on the fence.

Manso, Columbus is much improved I assure you. Quality guy leading them, it was a pleasure watching them play in GZ. That said, if we come to play and execute, we have a tad more weapons and will nip them at the end. Our two scrimmages have prepared us for the opener and as planned, we improved each week. But, you can't go wrong either going with Columbus, cause what I said about us, you can say about them. Great opener for both. Good luck to WC this year bud.

YTBulldogs
08-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Good luck Yoakum, hoping for both Sinton and Yoakum to meet in WK 1 with 1-0 records.

Yes, the Sinton matchup will be a great one for sure. Should be a packed BULLDOG Stadium for our home opener, lot's of excitement out of the field versus one of the state's best teams IMO. One game at a time, we have our hand's full against them Cardinals this Friday on the road.

txsportswriter
08-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Nothing like a little trash talk to begin the 2012 gridiron season. I love it. This homer will have to go with the Bulldogs over Columbus by two TDs, 26-13. **FINISH RELENTLESSLY**

buff4ever
08-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I pick Yoakum in this one by more than one score.

Manso/V8
08-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Manso, Columbus is much improved I assure you. Quality guy leading them, it was a pleasure watching them play in GZ. That said, if we come to play and execute, we have a tad more weapons and will nip them at the end. Our two scrimmages have prepared us for the opener and as planned, we improved each week. But, you can't go wrong either going with Columbus, cause what I said about us, you can say about them. Great opener for both. Good luck to WC this year bud.

I already casted my vote for Yoakum. I know Columbus has some talented kids, but from what I have seen, not any more talent than the Yoakum squad. From our experiences last year, the Columbus teams are not disciplined.
I sounds like the new coach at Columbus has got things going in the right direction, but I am not convinced yet.

YTBulldogs
08-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Ykm will be short one of their exciting play makers one offense, and starting secondary player in this one with a bummed shoulder. Nothing serious, just playing it safe. Replacement is quality, and I see enough talent elsewhere to get us past a quality Cardinals crew, 27-25. The use of our 6 different ball carriers will keep them fresh, for the game winning drive late.

Harris has Columbus favored by 3.

gobbler grad
08-30-2012, 09:09 PM
Dawgs in a close one...

YTBulldogs
08-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Freshman:
Yoakum 32, Columbus 6

JV:
Columbus 7, Yoakum 0

YTBulldogs
08-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Packed pep rally. Standing room only. So great seeing the community excited once again for Bulldog Football.

29-3aFAN
08-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Anyone doing live updates?

Old Green
08-31-2012, 10:36 PM
Kavu tv said Yoakum was ahead in the 4th Qtr. 21-19

29-3aFAN
08-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Yoakum 27-25 final

YTBulldogs
09-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Columbus impressed me over in Gonzales Thursday. A revamped offense, that will have defenses not in shape dragging around, with their tongues hanging out, with their hurry up style. But, YT is ready after the quality opponents we've faced in our 2 scrimmages and will nip the Cardinals late, 27-25.

Well, I nailed my predicted score in this one, 27-25 Yoakum. Columbus is solid throwing the ball. I'd say they threw 85-90% passes vs. the run. They killed us over the middle late, sat down behind LB'ers about 15-20 yards deep the entire second half (after trailing 14-0 at the break). Good adjustments by Coach Sine and staff. Yoakum had no answer to stop it. Columbus QB was 33-59 for 345 yards, 4TD's ans I INT. We took the deep outside throws and the bubble screens away for the most part, and like a good team, they found our soft spot, the mid-range middle.

Not all bad for Yoakum, though the stat's show CC out performed us. Large margin in total yardage to CC. We did fumble 3 times (lost them all), and gave CC a short field, and once while we were trying to sustain a drive across the 50 late in the game. Our QB is young, but--he hung in there and performed well in a pressure situation IMO. He grew tonight and I think he'll gain more confidence moving forward. The OL gave him time to throw, and he was just to hyped at times, and made young player mistakes missing some wide open receivers.

Yoakum bright spot was on special team returns. Keith Ratley returned a punt 97 yards for a TD and several great KO returns getting us near CC 40 yard line to set up shop for the "O". And, when counted on, out "D" stopped two game tying, 2 pt conversions very late in the 4th. The OL played descent and made some great strides to IMO. QB had time the throw. Like I've said, we got to improve weekly, get somewhat in better shape, and just keep believing in one another. We could of folded, but--they fought against a CC team I see giving opponents issue's down the road.

After the game, both teams met in center of field for a prayer, and CC then came to Yoakum sideline and honored our school song. Class act, and something I never seen from a Columbus team in recent years. No mouthing and just a nice respectable game by both clubs. Coach Sine is a class act, and he will turn CC into something special over the year(s). CC field in perfect shape, the host were very friendly. One exception, the homer PA announcer who was so one sided. No biggy, but I usually see them neutral in announcing.

Yoakum faces a solid Sinton club next Friday for the Bulldog opener. We are much better at this time against the rush, and I look for Old School Bode to have that "D" clicking in all aspects soon. Just amazed the number of times, in the 2nd half, CC completed the same route over and over just beyond our LB and in front of the safeties, and we had no answer. That will be addressed starting tomorrow I assure. Little more protection when we punt might be nice too. Had 1 blocked, and 2 others very close. It's earlier, and it was a "W", but we must improve weekly to sustain our mission set forth after last year's season ender against Sam Houston.

We did have a key play-maker out, who also starts in the secondary. His ability would have helped I'm sure. Maybe a couple more weeks without him? Dern sure hope by district the sophomore playmaker returns. He is a once in a decade or two type player.

Bottomline: It's a Dog "W". But, each player knows and understands, we got to improve and it starts on Saturday's through Thursdays.

Manso/V8
09-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Congrats to the the Bulldogs for the W.
We are pulling for you this year, unless you are playing the Brahmas!

Old Green
09-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Great Write up YTB.

Congrats on the win Dawgs !

zebrablue2
09-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Great Write up YTB.

Congrats on the win Dawgs !

:iagree: Congrats to both teams on a class act and well played game.

Pudlugger
09-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Nice job Bulldogs with the win. The Leps have Columbus at home next week. It looks like we better sharpen up our pass defense.