PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer vs. Atlanta

poisoned10
08-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Game week is finally here!

Who wins?

If history is any indication, Gilmer will have a tough time with Atlanta's Corion Webster. I believe Gilmer has only held Webster to under 200 yards once in 3 games. So I think we have a pretty good idea of what Atlanta will want to do.

It's definitely going to be a tough game for Gilmer. If the offense can get anything going, then I say Gilmer wins a close one. If not, it will be a long night for Gilmer.

MGAR
08-25-2012, 11:37 AM
lol heard Traylor say that he thinks Webster has over 1,000 yards rushing against him.

movethechain
08-25-2012, 12:30 PM
We think we have a decent defense in Gilmer this year with returning starters, but may have to sacrifice some of that strength to shore up our offense with some of our better athletes. Having played against Atlanta's Webster the last couple of years and knowing what to expect, should help our defense slow him down (wishful thinking I know). I kind of expect a dual QB rotation from our offense for the first 3 games, until everyone settles in with their assignments on offense. Although Barr seems to be comfortable at QB, Parrish will gain confidence with more snaps. In years past, all other teams had either/or/both speed and size advantage over Gilmer. This years version of the Buckeyes have speed to match all others from what I have seen, but we will be way undersized, as usual, to everyone we face. I was really hoping with the new Whataburger opening in Gilmer this year that we would start to see some big honking lineman like Carthage has year after year, but I guess it takes a while to grow em that big, so maybe in another year or two we will have some mighty big boys to work in the trenches. Realistically, I give Gilmer a +7 advantage because of better defense, but poor execution and mistakes will make this anybody's game ... you just don't know what you're gonna get the first game of the season.

regaleagle
08-25-2012, 12:37 PM
How about "a close game", lol.

OldBison75
08-25-2012, 01:34 PM
I think that Gilmer will be much better this year than most people think. This is a team that you can't keep down long. There is too much good coaching in that school to believe that they won't find a way to win. I agree that the offensive mistakes will have to be cut down, but, that defense will be good enough to win a few games too.

Matthew328
08-25-2012, 02:27 PM
taking Atlanta in a mild upset

waterboy
08-25-2012, 02:54 PM
I think Gilmer wins this one IF they don't turn the ball over more than twice. The Buckeye defense is going to have to carry the team for the first half of the season until the offense settles in. The Wabbits will have to be at least 2 TDs better on defense, AND at least 2 TDs better on offense this year over last year to beat Gilmer UNLESS turnovers play a large part. I don't see that big of a dropoff on the Buckeyes' side of the ball, especially defensively. I think the Buckeyes handle Atlanta, and I'm pretty sure Webster will get his yards, and so will Dickerson. I think the Buckeyes win one that will be a little closer than the last several, but will win nonetheless.

Roughneck93
08-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Buckeyes by 7.

Gsquared
08-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Reports I'm hearing from Atlanta in their scrimmages, they have been throwing the ball effectively, that in conjunction with that running game could spell trouble.

Bosqueville
08-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Rabbits by 6

poisoned10
08-25-2012, 09:20 PM
lol heard Traylor say that he thinks Webster has over 1,000 yards rushing against him.

588 in 3 games if memory serves correctly.

Aesculus gilmus
08-26-2012, 09:07 AM
It really doesn't make sense to go against Gilmer in this game since the Bux have never lost in it since it began in 2004. In fact, it's never even been a close game.

I remember the hype of 2006 about a perennial private school power named Bishop Gorman from Las Vegas which was going to destroy us in this game. Final score was Gilmer 56, Bishop Gorman 14.

I thought of this school because the LVBG Gaels were on national TV the other night.
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/rJ_6Z2uqHkuY8Ih0Gz9DbA/no-11-bishop-gorman-beats-no-10-good-counsel.htm

waterboy
08-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Yep. Every game where Gilmer has opened the TMF/Rose Classic has been a lopsided win. Who knows? Maybe this year's opener will be different, but I wouldn't count on it. Never bet against the Buckeyes this early in the season. They are usually leaps and bounds ahead of everybody else at this point in the season.

MGAR
08-27-2012, 11:37 AM
588 in 3 games if memory serves correctly.

Yea, that's what it is... Just cracked up the way Traylor said it.

588 total on 56 carries.

MGAR
08-27-2012, 11:40 AM
It really doesn't make sense to go against Gilmer in this game since the Bux have never lost in it since it began in 2004. In fact, it's never even been a close game.

I remember the hype of 2006 about a perennial private school power named Bishop Gorman from Las Vegas which was going to destroy us in this game. Final score was Gilmer 56, Bishop Gorman 14.

I thought of this school because the LVBG Gaels were on national TV the other night.
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/rJ_6Z2uqHkuY8Ih0Gz9DbA/no-11-bishop-gorman-beats-no-10-good-counsel.htm

They didn't become a power until after that season.

The team Gilmer beat went 6-5 on the year.

waterboy
08-28-2012, 08:18 AM
They didn't become a power until after that season.

The team Gilmer beat went 6-5 on the year.
Actually, they were well-known for a long while before, having won 6 state championships in their history, but were becoming prominent again due to the fact they had a recruit named DeMarco Murray. The Buckeyes caught them the season after Murray graduated. I still say Bishop Gorman would only be a perennial top 15 3A power in Texas if they competed here. They would compete for a title every so often, in my opinion.

I googled it and here's what I came up with: Las Vegas Bishop Gorman High School

Football State Championships: (10) 1970, 1974, 1979–1980, 1982–1983, 2007, 2009-2011

poisoned10
08-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Gilmer is up 17-3 at halftime.

Gilmer's defense has been SOLID! They haven't allowed a completed pass, have 1 INT and have held ATL's 2 D-1 RB's in check the first half.

Offense was sluggish but looks to have started to find a little rhythm. Tanner Barr has been QB the whole first half which is what I'm sure most anyone who watched the scrimmages assumed. RB's have ran hard and the line has blocked well. WR's have a few dropped passes but have been making plays as well.

At 17-3, this game is FAR from over. Especially with the talent ATL has on their team.

Here's hoping for an identical 2nd half!

HEMOTOXIC
08-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Gilmer 24 Atlanta 11 3 min left in 3rd

HEMOTOXIC
08-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Gilmer 31- Atlanta 11 - 2 min left in 3rd

HEMOTOXIC
08-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Gilmer 31
ATL 17 , 10 min left in 4th

HEMOTOXIC
08-30-2012, 10:05 PM
According to FNR

Gilmer 31
Atlanta 17, Final

poisoned10
08-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Gilmer looked REALLY good tonight. Much better than I expected, especially on offense.

Once they found some rhythm they were able to move the ball and put some points up.

The soph #13 for ATL looked so much better passing than #10 and #2 did.

Very encouraging game by Gilmer. The offense should only get better and when Gilmer gets 2 of our top defensive players back (Adam Witcher and Dylan Bowman) they will get a little better as well.

Should be another good year for Gilmer!

regaleagle
08-31-2012, 12:08 AM
So what kind of numbers did Webster and Dickerson put up?

buckeyebob
08-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Have not seen any stats yet...one, I think Dickerson, had a break away TD for a long run...aside from that, the Black Flag shut them down...will post stats as soon as they are out.

Gsquared
08-31-2012, 07:05 AM
Have not seen any stats yet...one, I think Dickerson, had a break away TD for a long run...aside from that, the Black Flag shut them down...will post stats as soon as they are out.

That Black Flag defense was pretty impressive last night. I think once Gilmer starts getting a little more offensive consistency as the season goes on, they will be a force.

Aesculus gilmus
08-31-2012, 07:08 AM

http://etsn.fm/gilmer-tops-atlanta-31-17-for-600th-win-in-program-history/
"Webster broke free for a 54-yard touchdown early in the fourth quarter, but Gilmer had already built a three-score lead. Webster, who rushed for almost 600 yards in three previous meetings against Gilmer, rushed for a solid 138 yards on 23 carries, but his damage was limited compared to his past exploits vs. the Buckeyes."

waterboy
08-31-2012, 08:27 AM
That Black Flag defense was pretty impressive last night. I think once Gilmer starts getting a little more offensive consistency as the season goes on, they will be a force.
I agree. The Black Flag defense is very good, and will only get better once a couple of the starters are back. The overall team speed is much better this year than it has been in a long time. They're not very big, but they are fast, and get to the ball quickly with at least 4 or 5 players in on tackles. They absolutely swarm.

As for the offense......once they get their timing down and open up the playbook more they will be a force. The thing about this year's team as opposed to the teams of the last several years is they have the speed on the edge to stretch the field. Tanner Barr throws a BEAUTIFUL deep ball! If both sides of the ball continue to improve, and not make a lot of mistakes, Gilmer could definitely open some eyes and make some noise this year. They will be scary good next year for sure, but I wouldn't count them out THIS year.

buckeyebob
09-01-2012, 08:28 AM
RUSHING
Gilmer
Kris Boyd 8-68, Josh Walker 5-41, Tanner Barr 8-41, Chase Tate 6-23, DeVondrick Dixon 2-7, Charles Williams 1-2, Jamel Jackson 1-2.
Atlanta
Corion Webster 23-138, Everett Dickerson 5-51, Derrick Dowden 6-30, Alan Fonteneaux 3-11, Nick Stiger 2-4, Chase Musgrove 1-(-10), Quaid Taylor 1-(-16).

PASSING
Gilmer - Tanner Barr 12-17-0 219
Atlanta - Chase Musgrove 4-5-0 54, Quaid Taylor 0-7-1 0.

RECEIVING
Gilmer - Patrick Finch 3-45, Josh Walker 3-9, DeVondrick Dixon 2-91, Chase Tate 2-54, Desmond Pollard 1-15, Jaidon Parrish 1-5
Atlanta - Alan Fonteneaux 2-34, Nick Stiger 1-18, Kadarian Robinson 1-2.

The Bux looked scarry...keep their stuff together, head in the game, just maybe, they will make it to the playoffs in this distrct...now, on to Prestonwood (is Traylor moonlighting as a coach there?)