PDA

View Full Version : Stephenville/Granbury scrimmage

hollywood
08-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Who's going?

Should be vanilla but also display improvements from last week. We welcome the purple injun people to take a gander. Maybe even some red tigers if they are up to it. ;)

toddg
08-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Who's going?

Should be vanilla but also display improvements from last week. We welcome the purple injun people to take a gander. Maybe even some red tigers if they are up to it. ;)

im thinkin about taking my two oldest boys..momma's fighting me tooth and nail, but, unlike ville-d....i have control of my scene!:smoker:

GrTigers6
08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
I will be there but on the field as a striped spectator.:cool:

BEAST
08-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Is Granbury still everybodys whipping boy or have they gotten any better?

BEAST

Matthew328
08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
They had been a LOT better the last two years...made the playoffs the last two years.....had a real good RB the past two years but they are expected to be down this year

Sville
08-24-2012, 02:28 PM
I bet they still make the playoffs in 7-4A

hollywood
08-24-2012, 02:29 PM
im thinkin about taking my two oldest boys..momma's fighting me tooth and nail, but, unlike ville-d....i have control of my scene!:smoker:

Haha... now that's funny!

GrTigers6
08-24-2012, 02:29 PM
I bet they still make the playoffs in 7-4A

Yeah doesnt look like a tough district

hollywood
08-24-2012, 02:30 PM

I'll be looking for the zebra with the red flags!

GrTigers6
08-24-2012, 02:32 PM
I'll be looking for the zebra with the red flags!

What other color is here. I cant show up with a Gold flag, Yall will think I am partial to the blue and gold.:D

hollywood
08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
What other color is here. I cant show up with a Gold flag, Yall will think I am partial to the blue and gold.:D

Red is illegal! :thmbdwn: :D

Matthew328
08-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I picked em 5th....

toddg
08-24-2012, 02:39 PM

i still think you were the ref who hurt his arm from throwing so many flags at the Alvarado/GR game last year!;)

GrTigers6
08-24-2012, 02:46 PM
i still think you were the ref who hurt his arm from throwing so many flags at the Alvarado/GR game last year!;)I was in the top of the stands so you would have really known it was me. Would have looked strange coming from the top of the visitor bleachers.

Ville-D
08-24-2012, 03:11 PM

Funny, It was "Meet the Teacher" night. No dad of a kindergartner and 3rd grader should skip that. It was my choice. :cool:

toddg
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Funny, It was "Meet the Teacher" night. No dad of a kindergartner and 3rd grader should skip that. It was my choice. :cool:

i understand..i dont skip those either!

Matthew328
08-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Well Stephenville off to a strong start....12 play drive to score on Granbury..then a second quick score...

Matthew328
08-24-2012, 07:49 PM
Granbury ones got a single first down in their series of plays

jason
08-24-2012, 07:57 PM
both look small and slow.
you here matt?

Matthew328
08-24-2012, 08:03 PM
No, just getting reports texted to me

hollywood
08-24-2012, 08:13 PM
both look small and slow.
you here matt?

Yeah, especially Stephenville. They are tiny.

hollywood
08-24-2012, 08:38 PM
I think it's 6-1 S'ville now.
That was controlled portion.
About to start live qtr

jason
08-24-2012, 09:18 PM
svilles 1st team looked average.
lots of work to do for both teams.
sloppy scrimmage.

hollywood
08-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Live qtr S'ville 14 G'bury 0
I'm out. Work to do on defense, offense looks good!

hollywood
08-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Jason's a pessimist
I'm an optimist
;)

Ville-D
08-24-2012, 10:33 PM
According to Brad Keith the final was 8 to 1 for Stephenville.

I thought the offense looked good. The run defense and had a few good plays and let a few slip through. The pass defense needs to gel quickly.

One minor injury to Sanchez (ankle)

All in all they looked ok or a scrimmage. They seemed to keep everything on O and D pretty vanilla. Nothing too fancy.

We'll see how they hold up to Mexico.

Ville-D
08-24-2012, 10:38 PM

What were your thoughts on the game?

Sville
08-24-2012, 10:38 PM
The format was 1st team, 2nd team, 1st team, 2nd team under controlled conditions then 2 live qtrs.

The Sville offense in their first set of plays scored twice, TD passes from Jones, one to Gunter and another to Stidham. Granbury's 1st team offense then took the field and mustered one first down in their set of plays.

The Sville 2nd team offense scored once on a Stidham run. The Pirates scored once on their turn.

The Jacket 1st teamers took the field again scoring once on a long TD pass from Jones to Gunter. The Pirates moved the ball better in their 2nd go round but did not score against the Jacket D.

The 2nd teams for each school scored one offensive TD respectively with the Jackets coming on a Stidham pass to BJ Walker.

The teams then played a simulated half with the starters playing the first qtr and the 2nd team playing the 2nd qtr. Granbury took the ball first and went 3 and out. Stephenville marched down field and finished off a 60 yard drive with a Westbrook 2 yd run with 9:29 to go in the qtr. The Pirates would get the ball again this time gaining 3 first downs before turning the ball over on downs at the Jacket 38. Sville marched down the field again and Westbrook would get his 2nd TD run of the qtr. this one from 12 yards out with 1:42 on the clock, Sville 14 Granbury 0. Stephenville would put in the 2nd team defense and the Pirates were able to drive down to inside the 10 before the 1st qtr. expired. Granbury would punch it in early in the 2nd qtr. for a 14-7 Sville lead. I left at this point and don't know if either team scored any more points.

Summary: The Jackets 1st team offense looked very good in the passing game during the controlled portion of the scrimmage but struggled to run the ball consistently. The first team Jacket defense did not allow a point but did get burned once on a double move by a Pirate receiver but the throw was off target. The defense played very well with the exception of a handful of plays, where if Granbury would of had a faster back the gains would of been much larger.

The overall offensive attack was much more balanced in the simulated qtr portion of the scrimmage. The 1st team defense did not give up a point but Granbury again missed on a blown coverage by the Jackets. The Sville pass rush hurried nearly every Pirate pass attempt over a 3 step drop.

Pros: The passing attack is going to be every bit as lethal as I expected. The Jacket defensive line is very good. Jonah Noah stood out to me at DE. The kicking game appears to be in good hands.

Cons: The OL needs work in the running game. The greenness of the Jacket LB's and half of the secondary will result in big plays early on, but they definitely have the capability to be a dominate defense with some seasoning.

Overall- Stephenville is right where you would expect them to be this early in the season. The areas where they have experience were noticeable as were the areas where they are green.

toddg
08-25-2012, 12:13 AM

i put the wrong # in my phone..i was there..got there at 710 and found cobra and sat with him. good scrimmage..i really like #6..he looked really good at QB too..but the real show was cobra and a Granbury mom getting into it!!! he finally shut her up..LOL!

COBRAFOOTBALL
08-25-2012, 01:29 AM
i put the wrong # in my phone..i was there..got there at 710 and found cobra and sat with him. good scrimmage..i really like #6..he looked really good at QB too..but the real show was cobra and a Granbury mom getting into it!!! he finally shut her up..LOL!
Im still giggling!

toddg
08-25-2012, 07:57 AM
the Stephenville offense was as advertised..though they kept it basic, they will be hard to stop..the RB is high energy, just keeps on pluggin even when the blocks arnt there. they didnt do anything fancy on defense, again, they kept it basic..just playing technic and gap control..the Jacket coaches were not going to show much..as was expected in a scrimmage with more than a few coaches in the stands.

toddg
08-25-2012, 08:16 AM
if anybody cares this is what i found on the Aledo/Guyer scrimmage:
By Kevin Casas
Special to the Star-Telegram
ALEDO -- Yes Johnathan Gray is gone and life goes on at Aledo. In fact, life in the Bearcats offense might be getting a serious makeover.

Pate Davis delivered the ball 16 times for 123 yards and a touchdown as Aledo and Denton Guyer took the first live shots of their season in a Friday scrimmage.It's clear more emphasis will be on the aerial attack, a seismic shift in philosophy when compared to the last few seasons with career 10,000- yard rusher Johnathan Gray in the backfield.
Gray's at Texas and quarterback Pate Davis looked sharp and in control with crisp timing and strong throws to move the chains during the controlled offensive portions.
By contrast, heralded Guyer quarterback Jerrod Heard struggled in the air, tossing an interception and completing five of eight passes for 48 yards.
Heard, a 2014 recruit, has already committed to Texas.
Davis' only hiccup came in the second offensive series when his toss to receiver John Whatley was intercepted. Whatley broke off his route after Davis scrambled and the ball was delivered behind him.
Still, Davis was 14-19 for 127 yards and a touchdown during the controlled offensive segment.
It will be a dual-threat that hopes to take up the rushing slack vacated by Gray.
Jess Anders and Caleb Frysinger both worked the position Friday, but it was a mix of sweeps and runs over tackle that dominated the work.
Anders ripped off two runs of 30 and 48 yards, the latter for a score. The Bearcats came back to ceremonially beat Guyer in the regulation portion, 23-21.
Defensively, Aledo looked solid considering the threat that Heard and Guyer's offense bring.
The defense forced a fumble on the very first play and defensive back Shea Wood intercepted a pass on Guyer's second series. The Bearcats forced a fumble in the regulation period as well.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/08/24/4204616/aledo-football-appears-up-to-the.html#storylink=cpy

GrTigers6
08-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Hard to tell with a scrimmage, But the Offense looked really good. The defense looked vulnerable at times and great at times. Will be interesting to see what happens when they start pulling out all the stops.
To beat Stephenville, you need to have a very good offense to keep up with them. I dont see a defense that can shut them down completely.