PDA

View Full Version : Lance Armstrong, lifetime ban and stripped of his titles...

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2012, 10:44 PM
thats all.

Tejastrue
08-23-2012, 11:34 PM
damn witch hunt

bigwood33
08-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Not really stripped. The USADA does not have the authority to strip him, only stop recognizing his titles, regardless of what they say. Only the Tour can strip him and it remains to be seen if they will. Armstrong didn't admit to doping but realized there is no way to prove that he didn't dope and they can't prove he did. Armstrong never failed a test and there are still blood samples available and the ones tested have passed. He understands that he can't "prove a negative".
Tejas, you're right, witch hunt.

OldNavy
08-24-2012, 07:04 AM
For you lawyers out there, is there a term for being found guilty by a perponderance of the allagations?

BEAST
08-24-2012, 08:49 AM
This is a complete case of BS. Witch hunt for sure. I know where there is smoke there is usually fire. However, he was tested more than any other athlete in his time. He never failed a single test. I just dont understand how USADA can do this when there is absolutely no evidence to back it up.

BEAST

defense51
08-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Isn't it finally time to let it go and let his records stand?

hollywood
08-24-2012, 10:03 AM
This is redonkulous! French are just envyous of an American taking their precious tour 7 times!

Millions of $ spent trying to prove something that can't be proved. When is it enough?

RoyceTTU
08-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Just because he didn't fail a drug test didn't mean he wasn't cheating...JMHO

But on the flipside, i believe that if you can't catch them within like a 12 month period, its not the athletes fault.

I'm kinda anxious to see if something substantial comes of this and to throw a wrench in the gears, his blood was tested extensively by the University of Texas during the same time to do research on how his muscle fibers regenerate. If there is substantial evidence from the doping agency, how bad will that make UT research center look. IDK.....food for thought.

Slick50
08-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I hate cycling

Phil C
08-24-2012, 10:21 AM
The only thing is that if a person cheated (and I don't think Lance did) who would they give the title too. You are taking it away from someone who passed every drug test taken by him. And who is to say who they award it to didn't cheat. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) their country probably won't have an equivalent of USADA which makes them less close to Nazism or Communism than the USA.

As they say soccer here we come. :)

Tx Challenge
08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
He has been tested more than anyone. IDK if he is guilty or not, but enough already. He has never tested positive. So if you strip the guy of something on speculation, then who is to say that 2nd place didn't dope as well?

It would seem there is more to this story

hollywood
08-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Just because he didn't fail a drug test didn't mean he wasn't cheating...JMHO

But on the flipside, i believe that if you can't catch them within like a 12 month period, its not the athletes fault.

I'm kinda anxious to see if something substantial comes of this and to throw a wrench in the gears, his blood was tested extensively by the University of Texas during the same time to do research on how his muscle fibers regenerate. If there is substantial evidence from the doping agency, how bad will that make UT research center look. IDK.....food for thought.

:lies:
Now you're digging RTTU! Don't stoop to their level brotha. They just can't stand the fact this guy is super natural. I've never met the guy and heard he was a DA in person, but he is one of the greatest athletes in the world.

BEAST
08-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Look at it this way, if he was on trial in a real courtroom with a real jury, and the evidence showed he passed literally 100's of drug tests over the years and never failed a single one, would he be found guilty?

Royce, I agree with what you said, just because he wasnt caught doesnt mean he didnt do it. However, since he wasnt caught, and passed every single test, I dont see how they could strip him of anything.

BEAST

1st and goal
08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
10 of his former teammates have offered to testify against him. I guess they don't know nothin'.

Txbroadcaster
08-24-2012, 11:20 AM
All I know is this..If I was not guilty of something I would not let them strip my titles away without a fight, even if they are doing it name only...just very strange he is willing to give up

Phil C
08-24-2012, 11:24 AM
10 of his former teammates have offered to testify against him. I guess they don't know nothin'.

Maybe so but who are they. I don't think they have to identify themselves even at the so called "hearing."

Plus future book income could also be a motivation and so called "deals" of immunity.

regaleagle
08-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Sounds to me like the sport of cycling has some serious issues that will not go away. Whatever happens as a result of this USADA announcement is not good for the sport. Especially since there is just no "proof positive" of the allegations that came with the announcement. Seems to me the USADA is attempting to gain some sort of notoriety, using Armstrong as their posterboy to show the world how unbiased they are. It will have the negative effect, and further embarass the sport of cycling to the world as a result. What a bunch of ninkompoots....otherwise known as USADA Dummies.

Txbroadcaster
08-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Is it because he is a Texan so many seem to be trying to say he is getting screwed? I mean come on..he is giving up and willing to be labeled a cheater.

Maroon87
08-24-2012, 12:34 PM

One thing they know for sure is that USADA offered them reduced penalties in exchange for their testimony...

BEAST
08-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Is it because he is a Texan so many seem to be trying to say he is getting screwed? I mean come on..he is giving up and willing to be labeled a cheater.

He didnt really just give up. All of his court injunctions got shot down. The only thing left for him to do is go through the USADA arbitration. That dang sure wont go his way. There mind is already made up.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
08-24-2012, 01:19 PM
He didnt really just give up. All of his court injunctions got shot down. The only thing left for him to do is go through the USADA arbitration. That dang sure wont go his way. There mind is already made up.

BEAST

but he could still fight it..even if just in press, but he is not

funny comment I heard...people think Armstrong is clean because he never failed a test...but people say Barry Bonds is guilty yet he never failed a test

Tejastrue
08-24-2012, 01:33 PM
funny comment I heard...people think Armstrong is clean because he never failed a test...but people say Barry Bonds is guilty yet he never failed a test

Not quite the same. You could actually see Bonds' physique blow up in a relatively short time. A side effect of the product he was accused of using.

Txbroadcaster
08-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Not quite the same. You could actually see Bonds' physique blow up in a relatively short time. A side effect of the product he was accused of using.

Sorry I dont think that had anything to do with it..Rafeal Palmerio never blew up and he tested positive..I think it came down to personality..everyone wanted to root for Armstrong because of his backstory and are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, while Bonds is aloof and not well liked so easy to find him guilty in public court of opinion.

slpybear the bullfan
08-24-2012, 01:43 PM
but he could still fight it..even if just in press, but he is not

Armstrong was tested repeatedly for doping and PEDs. On and off season. At 3 in the morning on a vacation, IIRC. Not one positive.

And now, the United states agency for Blood Doping wants to enter an Arbitration Hearing to decide his fate? I wouldn't do it either. This would not be a court of law, with a judge and jury presiding over it. It would be a hearing of the USADA where they call witnesses, hear testimony, then rule. What possibly could Lance have to gain by agreeing to that? Oh, and the USADA's record at arbitration hearings? 52-2. yeah, lets skip a jury trial and go to arbitration. There is no upside to this for Lance. None. Why go on?

Per Wiki per the AP,

"U.S. federal prosecutors pursued allegations of doping by Armstrong from 2010–2012. The effort convened a grand jury to investigate doping charges, including taking statements under oath from Armstrong's former team members and other associates; met with officials from France, Belgium, Spain, and Italy; and requested samples from the French anti-doping agency. The investigation was led by federal agent Jeff Novitzky, who also investigated suspicions of steroid use by baseball players Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. The probe was terminated on February 3, 2012 with no charges filed.[65"

That sounds like the Feds couldn't prove anything. So what is new that the USADA can do?

Seriously, when would you say enough is enough? Would you trust a multi-million dollar career plus all future work to a old blood samples that cannot be guaranteed to be tamper proof, and former team mates, many of whom have admited to PEDs and Doping?

Not me.

Tejastrue
08-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Sorry I dont think that had anything to do with it..Rafeal Palmerio never blew up and he tested positive..I think it came down to personality..everyone wanted to root for Armstrong because of his backstory and are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, while Bonds is aloof and not well liked so easy to find him guilty in public court of opinion.

That could be it. As far as the steroids, I think ii's just a matter of how much is used, work-out routines..etc.. Just look back at McGwire, Giambi, Canseco. You could see how their upper body mass increased along with the numbers. I think with Bonds it's more about breaking Aarons' hr record that people really have a problem, especially the old school ball players and fans. The record will forever be tainted.

RoyceTTU
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM

This is clearly a lack of knowledge in the realm of steroids or synthetic testosterone. What do you think they give kids when they have an asthma attack or mono or a viral infection etc.....you dont' see a bunch of 8yr old body builders. you do however get a kid with a bad temperment. Seems to bring out the worse.

They can be used for multiple reasons. Many of the baseball players simply use it to heal and recover quicker.

RoyceTTU
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM
This is clearly a lack of knowledge in the realm of steroids or synthetic testosterone. What do you think they give kids when they have an asthma attack or mono or a viral infection etc.....you dont' see a bunch of 8yr old body builders. you do however get a kid with a bad temperment. Seems to bring out the worse.

They can be used for multiple reasons. Many of the baseball players simply use it to heal and recover quicker.

I recant my statement....your post above this one beat me to the punch...sorry

Tejastrue
08-24-2012, 03:06 PM

How is that a lack of knowledge? I've actually used steroids. I know what they can do. It's all about how they are used.

slingshot
08-24-2012, 03:39 PM
This is clearly a lack of knowledge in the realm of steroids or synthetic testosterone. What do you think they give kids when they have an asthma attack or mono or a viral infection etc...
This is lack of knowledge. Steroids are split into two main categories--glucocorticoids (steroidal anti-inflammatory meds--used to treat asthma, allergies, arthritis, connective tissue diseases, etc.) and mineralocorticoids (anabolic type steroids that increase muscle mass). Totally different actions and uses. All they share is a base common chemical structure.

sahen
08-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Bonds did fail a drug test...actually more than one...here are 2 articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/sports/05iht-05bonds.19938857.html?_r=1

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2727325

Bonds also wasn't tested before every baseball game like Armstrong was tested before each race...

rholl
08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
The man has been defending himself for 10 + yrs!! Now they have put him in the position to prove he didnt dope! How exactly does one do that?? Take and pass hundreds of tests right??? O wait he has already done that!!
That and the 2 yr Federal investigation that was finally dropped.

ccmom
08-24-2012, 05:10 PM
This is lack of knowledge. Steroids are split into two main categories--glucocorticoids (steroidal anti-inflammatory meds--used to treat asthma, allergies, arthritis, connective tissue diseases, etc.) and mineralocorticoids (anabolic type steroids that increase muscle mass). Totally different actions and uses. All they share is a base common chemical structure. Nurse ccmom was just about to reply to that post, but thankfully Dr. Slingshot beat me to it and did a much better job than I would have. :)

Football DAD
08-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Someone doesn't like Lance.

hookandladder
08-24-2012, 05:38 PM

Totally agree, to many teammates to go against. Hey but he did make a lot of money to live on for the rest of his life.

Saggy Aggie
08-24-2012, 07:19 PM
This is lack of knowledge. Steroids are split into two main categories--glucocorticoids (steroidal anti-inflammatory meds--used to treat asthma, allergies, arthritis, connective tissue diseases, etc.) and mineralocorticoids (anabolic type steroids that increase muscle mass). Totally different actions and uses. All they share is a base common chemical structure.
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/kelso-burn.jpg

ogg
08-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Totally agree, passed hundreds of tests. Failed n o t h i n g.

Txbroadcaster
08-24-2012, 11:56 PM

and that means nothing

defense51
08-25-2012, 05:10 AM
and that means nothing

It means doping hasn't been proven!

hookandladder
08-25-2012, 08:10 AM

Yes, if I was 100% sure I did nothing I would not fight it either, come on man. Also you can bet more will come out of this now that he is not fighting it, same as Penn State issue.

1st and goal
08-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Peeps behind the scenes are saying he did fail drug tests, during his post cancer comeback. But the euro cycling or whomever over there covered it up as he was bringing the sport the largest audiences by far ever for the race.

1st and goal
08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Now they are saying that if he would have come to the table and come clean, they would have only stripped him of his '04 and '05 because of statute of limitations??? WTH?

Also saying that his teammates testified that he had blood transfusions which are not able to be detected by drug testing. Can you imagine? I'm trying to think about how you approach a donor.

Something like this:

"Uh, umm, uh, would you be willing to trade out blood with Lance Armstrong? You would only feel tired for about a week since you are in great condition. He really needs it to win T de F. Oh, and we can't put your name on the placard under his because we wouldn't want somebody to think badly of him..."

I gotta say if Lance did this? What were the guys from the eastern european block (and where ever else) doing to keep up with him?