08-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Was at 7 right?

I'm waiting for some reports. :)

Roughneck93
08-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Controlled portion of the scrimmage...

Columbia 2
Royal 1

Necks first team offense scores both TDs. First one on short run by Bess. Second on a 23 yard pass from Darius Bell.
Royal first team offense scores on a 19 yard pass. TD was set up by a long pass play.

Live portion of the scrimmage...

Necks 13
Royal 0

Broderick Thomas 76 yard TD run.
Darius Bell short TD run.

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Controlled portion of the scrimmage...

Columbia 2
Royal 1

Necks first team offense scores both TDs. First one on short run by Bess. Second on a 23 yard pass from Darius Bell.
Royal first team offense scores on a 19 yard pass. TD was set up by a long pass play.

Live portion of the scrimmage...

Necks 13
Royal 0

Broderick Thomas 76 yard TD run.
Darius Bell short TD run.

So live portion was 2-0 Columbia, and controlled was 2-1 Columbia.

In total, 4-1 columbia.

Not bad.

Roughneck93
08-23-2012, 09:05 PM
So live portion was 2-0 Columbia, and controlled was 2-1 Columbia.

In total, 4-1 columbia.

Not bad.

Correct.

Of course we all know the running game will be key. Passing game needs to be more consistent.

Special teams might be an issue early on.

Defense looked solid, although we did give up a few long pass plays.

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Our special teams was a big strength last year. Hope they get that sorted out.

Bell seems like he had a good night. Pass defense should improve. Good test tonight though.

Crasher
08-24-2012, 11:04 AM
an honest question...
no flaming, etc intended...
was that West Columbias entire varsity at the royal scrimmage. seems like their numbers are down, or they are young etc..

yellaseeker
08-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Not for sure if they have more or less on varsity from last year. I think the special teams could be a little stronger myself. But, it seems that the roughnecks have a number of guys playing both ways and the coaches have to give them a break somewhere so that might be why your not seeing as many of the studs on special teams. I'll bet that in close games towards the end, one might see a few of the key guys in that mix. I know Columbia has always been a predominately running team but, i'd sure like to see the passing game start clicking. On pass plays, they're either not throwing well or not catching well and we're not doing good at all on pass defense either, way to many wide open receivers and on a few completions, they had ample opportunity to slap it away if not pick it. It's early yet and i'm sure Columbia is not even showing half of their hand at this point. My belief is, if that staff has enough talent to put on the field, then it's just a matter of time before we see some classic roughneck football.

Saggy Aggie
08-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Not for sure if they have more or less on varsity from last year. I think the special teams could be a little stronger myself. But, it seems that the roughnecks have a number of guys playing both ways and the coaches have to give them a break somewhere so that might be why your not seeing as many of the studs on special teams. I'll bet that in close games towards the end, one might see a few of the key guys in that mix. I know Columbia has always been a predominately running team but, i'd sure like to see the passing game start clicking. On pass plays, they're either not throwing well or not catching well and we're not doing good at all on pass defense either, way to many wide open receivers and on a few completions, they had ample opportunity to slap it away if not pick it. It's early yet and i'm sure Columbia is not even showing half of their hand at this point. My belief is, if that staff has enough talent to put on the field, then it's just a matter of time before we see some classic roughneck football.
Might be a little before the defense comes around with Surv leaving.

We all know he was defense first, so just give it time. New players and the HC gone, it doesnt surprise me that the defense isnt our strong point yet.

Necks88Fan
08-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I think we'll all have a better idea of where we are at after the B'port game. Or, maybe a game or two after that, when staff has a chance to get a real live look at them in a full game and has had time to make adjustments if needed. My primary concern right now is kicking/punting, in any situation.

Saggy Aggie
08-24-2012, 08:31 PM
I think we'll all have a better idea of where we are at after the B'port game. Or, maybe a game or two after that, when staff has a chance to get a real live look at them in a full game and has had time to make adjustments if needed. My primary concern right now is kicking/punting, in any situation.

has the special teams been that bad?

neck_06
08-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Might be a little before the defense comes around with Surv leaving.

We all know he was defense first, so just give it time. New players and the HC gone, it doesnt surprise me that the defense isnt our strong point yet.

Did Columbia even hire a new DC? I heard they were gonna just roll Surv's returning kids out there and let em play..

Necks88Fan
08-25-2012, 02:10 AM
Did Columbia even hire a new DC? I heard they were gonna just roll Surv's returning kids out there and let em play..

Didn't need a new one. Still got coach Gerbich. Everything remains the same. We just need a little fine tuning in the pass coverage, that' all.

Roughneck93
08-25-2012, 09:17 AM
has the special teams been that bad?

We've been spoiled not having to worry about the kicking game for the past few years huh?

Kicking game should get better with more reps hopefully.