PDA

View Full Version : Bellville/Bay City Scrimmage - Thursday

Manso/V8
08-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Bellville scrimmages Bay City(4A) on Thursday this week.
Times: Freshmand and JV at 6 pm, Varsity at 7:30 pm

Anybody have any info on the Black Cats?
I noticed that they played El Campo, WC, and Sweeny pretty close in losing efforts last year.

Bull's-eye
08-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Manso, what's the latest on the Bulls? How are the injuries?

Manso/V8
08-22-2012, 04:00 PM
The Bulls looked a little rusty in the Yoakum scrimmage, especially in the first series.
I think they played a lot better in the second 1st team series, still some work to do but I think they will get there.

There were four key players, OL, RB, CB, and Split End that didn't play during the Yoakum scrimmage.
I think they sat out as a precaution.
I don't think any of the injuries are major and I think are all participating in practice.
I have no idea if those kids will play in the Bay City scrimmage, my guess is they will play in the season opener.

Bull's-eye
08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the update!

speedbump
08-22-2012, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=

Anybody have any info on the Black Cats?
I noticed that they played El Campo, WC, and Sweeny pretty close in losing efforts last year.[/QUOTE]

Bay City always has great athletes and speed. Their problem the last few years has been coaching changes IMO. Another new coach this year so I'm not sure what they will be running. EC and BC is the longest consecutive rivalry in the state of Tx. and is a huge rivalry. "Throw out the records" has never been used more accurately than when those two meet. I'll be interested to see how they fare against Bellville. The Ricebirds have won the last six times they have faced the Blackcats so BC is well over due for a win. That's scary if you are a Bird fan like me.

Manso/V8
08-23-2012, 09:24 AM
The school website has the varsity starting at 7:30 and the local paper has them starting at 7:00........oh well, guess I need to be there before 7:00, and maybe catch some JV action too.

Manso/V8
08-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Evidently Bay City is not accustomed to defending the slot t.

Roughneck93
08-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Evidently Bay City is not accustomed to defending the slot t.

How did the scrimmage go? How did them Blackcats look overall? We have a date with them in October.

Manso/V8
08-24-2012, 12:45 AM
How did the scrimmage go? How did them Blackcats look overall? We have a date with them in October.

I really only paid attention during the first team sessions and I didn't count scores in the controlled portion so I may not have all the numbers right.
Bay City runs a spread type offense. They had difficulty moving the ball consistently, but did break a few big plays.
They have some tall, fast receivers and I think they scored twice on long pass plays during the first team sessions of the controlled portion.
Bay City didn't move the ball on thee ground well, they did suck the Brahma D in pretty good on a screen pass though.
Bellville's secondary still needs some work.

Bellville's offense did pretty well after they got some bad snaps and missed blocking assignments out of the way.
The Brahma passing game seems better than last year.

In the live quarter the Bellville offense started clicking and for the first time started to execute like they did last year.
It seemed like we were moving the ball at will and scored TD's on consecutive series with long runs.
The Bay City defense looked to be turned around a bit by the slot t scheme, and our two starting RB's weren't playing.
I think that frustration carried over to their offense, which seemed to be dialed down a bit compared the controlled sessions.
They failed to score during the live quarter, which ended 14-0.

All in all it was a good scrimmage.
The thing that stood out for me was the size and athleticism of the Bay City receivers.
If you can stop them, you can stop the Black Cats.
I expect the Roughnecks to take the W in October.

YTBulldogs
08-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Coach Burk will have them Blackcats turned around. They will be stronger under his impressive weight program. Sounds like Bellville is prepared for the opener too.

HEMOTOXIC
08-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Coach Burk will have them Blackcats turned around. They will be stronger under his impressive weight program. Sounds like Bellville is prepared for the opener too.

Coach Burk did pretty well @ Navasota. He and Coach Wesley will get Bay City back to playing like the Bay City of old.

Dogs_21
08-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Bellville is a great team but Bay City didn't prepare for the slot t at all. But overall Bellville looked good up front and very strong!

Roughneck93
08-25-2012, 09:44 AM
I really only paid attention during the first team sessions and I didn't count scores in the controlled portion so I may not have all the numbers right.
Bay City runs a spread type offense. They had difficulty moving the ball consistently, but did break a few big plays.
They have some tall, fast receivers and I think they scored twice on long pass plays during the first team sessions of the controlled portion.
Bay City didn't move the ball on thee ground well, they did suck the Brahma D in pretty good on a screen pass though.
Bellville's secondary still needs some work.

Bellville's offense did pretty well after they got some bad snaps and missed blocking assignments out of the way.
The Brahma passing game seems better than last year.

In the live quarter the Bellville offense started clicking and for the first time started to execute like they did last year.
It seemed like we were moving the ball at will and scored TD's on consecutive series with long runs.
The Bay City defense looked to be turned around a bit by the slot t scheme, and our two starting RB's weren't playing.
I think that frustration carried over to their offense, which seemed to be dialed down a bit compared the controlled sessions.
They failed to score during the live quarter, which ended 14-0.

All in all it was a good scrimmage.
The thing that stood out for me was the size and athleticism of the Bay City receivers.
If you can stop them, you can stop the Black Cats.
I expect the Roughnecks to take the W in October.

Appreciate the breakdown Manso.

I was wondering if the new staff would stay with a spread type offense. Looks like it.

zebrablue2
08-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Bellville is a great team but Bay City didn't prepare for the slot t at all. But overall Bellville looked good up front and very strong!

Bellville a great team??? Reason for the great???