PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens to sign with Sugarland Skeeters

Roughneck93
08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
:eek:

According to a team source, he will pitch this Saturday.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2012/08/20/roger-clemens-to-sign-with-the-sugar-land-skeeters-to-pitch-on-saturday/

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-20-2012, 12:49 PM
What the hell??

Just RETIRE already!!! (then agan, he probably blew away most, if not, all his money in legal fees trying to defend himself so I can see why he would do this.)

BaseballUmp
08-20-2012, 06:52 PM
There's like a week left of most Minor League teams. 1 start and done. Publicity. That's all

Manso/V8
08-20-2012, 07:42 PM
This is for fun, it is minor league baseball. All 7.500 tickets were sold out with 2 hours of the announcement. I think that is more than the Astros are drawing.
I would really like to see this one. Minor league teams do stuff like this all the time. Here is a paste from the Wikipedia entry on Satchel Paige, it looks like he pitched some until he was 60 or so.

"In 1965, Kansas City Athletics owner Charles O. Finley signed Paige, 59 at the time, for one game. On September 25, against the Boston Red Sox,[129] Finley invited several Negro league veterans including Cool Papa Bell to be introduced before the game. Paige was in the bullpen, sitting on a rocking chair, being served coffee by a “nurse” between innings. He started the game by getting Jim Gosger out on a pop foul. The next man, Dalton Jones, reached first and went to second on an infield error, but was thrown out trying to reach third on a pitch in the dirt. Carl Yastrzemski doubled and Tony Conigliaro hit a fly ball to end the inning. The next six batters went down in order, including a strikeout of Bill Monbouquette. In the fourth inning, Paige took the mound, to be removed according to plan by Haywood Sullivan. He walked off to a boisterous ovation despite the small crowd of 9,000. The lights dimmed and, led by the PA announcer, the fans lit matches and cigarette lighters while singing “The Old Gray Mare”.

In 1966, Paige pitched in his last game in organized baseball, getting some measure of revenge when he pitched for the Carolina League’s Peninsula Grays of Hampton, Virginia, against the very same Greensboro Patriots who had been forced to release him before his first pitch back in 1955. Paige gave up two runs in the first, threw a scoreless second and then left, never to return as a player in organized baseball again. Interestingly, Peninsula used their backup catcher that day, rather than play their regular starter, a young Johnny Bench. Also in 1966, Paige pitched for the semipro Anchorage Earthquakers, a team that barnstormed through Canada. In 1967, Paige appeared with the Globetrotters in Chicago and played with the Indianapolis Clowns for $1,000 a month."

Bull's-eye
08-20-2012, 09:34 PM
There's like a week left of most Minor League teams. 1 start and done. Publicity. That's all
Skeeters don't end their season until September 23.

Bull's-eye
08-22-2012, 04:27 PM
I got my tickets, went over to the Stadium when the news broke on Monday. Should be fun seeing the "old man" pitch!

Roughneck93
08-22-2012, 05:28 PM
I got my tickets, went over to the Stadium when the news broke on Monday. Should be fun seeing the "old man" pitch!

Read yesterday that they are trying to get the game televised and/or streamed online. Hope so.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2012/08/21/skeeters-stand-to-capitalize-on-clemens-signing/

Roughneck93
08-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Read yesterday that they are trying to get the game televised and/or streamed online. Hope so.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2012/08/21/skeeters-stand-to-capitalize-on-clemens-signing/

For those interested, game will be aired live on ESPN Classic tonight @ 7 pm.

Bull's-eye
08-26-2012, 01:22 AM

Roger Clemens pitching for the Skeeters. Sugar Land won 1-0, Clemens pitches 3-1/3 innings with 3 strike outs & only allowed 1 hit.

Tejastrue
08-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Hooray for the 50 and older group!!!

Bull's-eye
08-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Correction: 2 strike outs

Roughneck93
08-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Looks like Roger will take the mound again in Sugarland on Sept. 7th...

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/08/29/12/Clemens-to-pitch-again/landing.html?blockID=782535&feedID=3716