PDA

View Full Version : West Columbia/ El Campo Scrimmage (2 top 15 teams)

Saggy Aggie
08-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Heard WC won the live portion of the scrimmage 2-1 and Floyd Bess looked GOOD.

West Columbia appears to have reloaded. Watch out boys and girls.

Manso/V8
08-19-2012, 10:08 PM
You must have missed the previous thread about the scrimmage......titled EL Campo.

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2012, 02:33 AM
You must have missed the previous thread about the scrimmage......titled EL Campo.
Guess so. I didn't see anything relevant on the first page and typically we've been getting so few posts that I don't need to go past the first page unless I wanna read week old threads... Much less 2 days. Oh well. The title of this thread is a little more apparent to the subject at hand and maybe people will get to see WC proved Friday night they're forreal

YTBulldogs
08-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Guess so. I didn't see anything relevant on the first page and typically we've been getting so few posts that I don't need to go past the first page unless I wanna read week old threads... Much less 2 days. Oh well. The title of this thread is a little more apparent to the subject at hand and maybe people will get to see WC proved Friday night they're forreal

Not sure anyone didn't think WC is for real SA. Least those with a brain. LOL. Who ya'll scrimmage next?

Roughneck93
08-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Not sure anyone didn't think WC is for real SA. Least those with a brain. LOL. Who ya'll scrimmage next?

Necks will be at Royal on Thursday night.

Saggy Aggie
08-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Gonna try to be at this one

Necks88Fan
08-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Necks had a little bit of a slow start but got it going in the latter part of the scrimmage. I think it was pretty close to a crapshoot overall.

Manso/V8
08-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Necks had a little bit of a slow start but got it going in the latter part of the scrimmage. I think it was pretty close to a crapshoot overall.

Give some more details on El Campo. What kind of an offense do they run and are they run or pass oriented? How was their QB and running core? I think they have a tall Rice-bound TE, did he stand out performance-wise?

Manso/V8
08-23-2012, 12:01 AM
The El Campo Leader-News take on the scrimmage....

http://www.leader-news.com/sports/article_de69b5ac-ebcc-11e1-8b70-0019bb2963f4.html

CTS
08-23-2012, 08:04 AM
The El Campo Leader-News take on the scrimmage....

http://www.leader-news.com/sports/article_de69b5ac-ebcc-11e1-8b70-0019bb2963f4.html

I think any way you look at it WC got after them a little bit. Manso, I am going to humbly take my statement back I made last week. Although it's only one scrimmage, the El Campo I was speaking of would have rolled through WC. I'm gonna go ahead and say Bellville/El Campo is gonna be a three ring circus of a contest. :)

On a brighter note....1 week until we get to see a REAL football game.....The Clash of the Causeway can't get here quickly enough!

Manso/V8
08-23-2012, 09:21 AM
I think any way you look at it WC got after them a little bit. Manso, I am going to humbly take my statement back I made last week. Although it's only one scrimmage, the El Campo I was speaking of would have rolled through WC. I'm gonna go ahead and say Bellville/El Campo is gonna be a three ring circus of a contest. :)

On a brighter note....1 week until we get to see a REAL football game.....The Clash of the Causeway can't get here quickly enough!

You don't have to take your statement back, it's all in fun! I don't really know how we will fare against EC either. This preseason stuff is all hopes, guesses, and in at least my case homerism. There is a lot of truth to "it's only a scrimmage", we didn't look too crisp on our scrimmage last Saturday and have to say Yoakum looked better. We scrimmage Bay City tonight and although their record hasn't been stellar in recent years, from the pre-scrimmage summary in the local paper they got some talent and athleticism. I'm looking forward to it.

Keep us posted on the date and time of The Clash broadcast. It will give us country boys a chance to see what the Cougars got.

coog4eva
08-23-2012, 09:57 AM
You don't have to take your statement back, it's all in fun! I don't really know how we will fare against EC either. This preseason stuff is all hopes, guesses, and in at least my case homerism. There is a lot of truth to "it's only a scrimmage", we didn't look too crisp on our scrimmage last Saturday and have to say Yoakum looked better. We scrimmage Bay City tonight and although their record hasn't been stellar in recent years, from the pre-scrimmage summary in the local paper they got some talent and athleticism. I'm looking forward to it.

Keep us posted on the date and time of The Clash broadcast. It will give us country boys a chance to see what the Cougars got.

Houston area folks can check it out on KUBE 57 at 7pm next Thursday 8/30/12.......

speedbump
08-23-2012, 03:51 PM
I think any way you look at it WC got after them a little bit. Manso, I am going to humbly take my statement back I made last week. Although it's only one scrimmage, the El Campo I was speaking of would have rolled through WC.

Don't be to quick to give up on the Birds. A friend of mine who is a retired HC and HS official told me if he had to pick a winner in a regular game he'd go with EC by 14. Later in the season Gillis will have this team rolling. This is a better team than the one that scared Angleton, Terry and Manvel last year.

EC football = Low man wins.

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Don't be to quick to give up on the Birds. A friend of mine who is a retired HC and HS official told me if he had to pick a winner in a regular game he'd go with EC by 14. Later in the season Gillis will have this team rolling. This is a better team than the one that scared Angleton, Terry and Manvel last year.

How did your buddy come to that conclusion? Didnt EC score their only TD on a tipped pass? They did get stopped on the 1 yard line though right? and WC scored their 2 TD's on long plays, 1 a run... and the other a screen pass?

Idk, i guess id like to hear what he saw that makes him think EC was 2 tds better or will be if they played later. Remember, WC is breaking in a new QB in a system hes never played before with a new coach.

You'd have to think WC's offense is operating nowhere close to their capability.

necks88
08-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Don't be mistaken if you think you saw all that WC had to offer, they ran a very safe offence to allow the first year Varsity QB's time to settle in.

speedbump
08-23-2012, 04:36 PM
How did your buddy come to that conclusion? Didnt EC score their only TD on a tipped pass? They did get stopped on the 1 yard line though right? and WC scored their 2 TD's on long plays, 1 a run... and the other a screen pass?

Idk, i guess id like to hear what he saw that makes him think EC was 2 tds better or will be if they played later. Remember, WC is breaking in a new QB in a system

Gillis used his starters on the first drive and after that he'd did a lot of looking at newbies and how they fared with the first team against WC first team. On the first drive of the scrimmage the Birds were not stopped at the one, they ran out of plays. I think Gillis saw all he needed on that drive. Like I said - a lot of mix and match after that. WE had two QBs get reps with the first offense even though there is no doubt who the starter will be. It's about depth in these scrimmages for Gillis not touchdowns and the payoff will be late in games during the district season. I saw Sealy and Navasota scrtimmage and the depth factor will haunt Sealy before this season is over. I don't know how good Bellville is but we will all know when the dust settles.

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Gillis used his starters on the first drive and after that he'd did a lot of looking at newbies and how they fared with the first team against WC first team. On the first drive of the scrimmage the Birds were not stopped at the one, they ran out of plays. I think Gillis saw all he needed on that drive. Like I said - a lot of mix and match after that. WE had two QBs get reps with the first offense even though there is no doubt who the starter will be. It's about depth in these scrimmages for Gillis not touchdowns and the payoff will be late in games during the district season. I saw Sealy and Navasota scrtimmage and the depth factor will haunt Sealy before this season is over. I don't know how good Bellville is but we will all know when the dust settles.

EC football = Low man wins. Good stuff.

WC should be in pretty good shape come playoff time as well. Glad we got to scrimmage a quality team like EC.

Is EC going Div 1?

Good luck to the Birds and hopefully we'll see each other in the playoffs so we can settle it.

speedbump
08-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Right - EC will be D-1. I'm going to watch the Roughnecks at Brookshire in a little bit. I'll enjoy watching Bess and co. do their thing. Hopefully we can see the Birds and Necks in the Semi finals.

Saggy Aggie
08-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Please post your thoughts on the scrimmage. I was going to go, but I'm taking the GRE on Monday to try to get into grad school here at A&M so im going to stay home and study. I'll be looking for reports on how it went though.

CTS
08-23-2012, 06:44 PM
I know the La Marque coaches are out scouting St. Pius tonight. I think they are scrimmaging El Campo. I'll may run over and see them since they are up here in Houston and get a peek at El Campo. I believe they are also bird dogging West Columbia over at Brookshire as well.

Roughneck93
08-23-2012, 10:07 PM

I was a part of a few WC squads that got rolled by EC. :(