PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley / Calallen scrimmage

Tejastrue
08-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Anybody make it to this one today? How did we look? Appreciate any info.

wimbo_pro
08-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Was hoping for an update myself!

Sportshack
08-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Man...me too. What up? I saw some vaugue references on facebook from a mom that lauded the team but did not talk about scores and specifically referenced defense doing a good job. Also talked about Calallen's stature in 4A and implied Texans did well or held their own.

Sportshack
08-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Ok heard another report that indicated varsity Texans did not fare well. Vastly different albeit brief report. Offense reportedly struggled. Not sure what to think about differing reports.

Maroon87
08-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Ok heard another report that indicated varsity Texans did not fare well. Vastly different albeit brief report. Offense reportedly struggled. Not sure what to think about differing reports.

I haven't heard or seen any reports from Calallen fans on the 4A board who went. I'd appreciate any feedback the Wimberley folks could give us on the 'Cats.:cool:

snaxet
08-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Went to the scrimmage and will try and give an objective overview of how it went. Texan Offense did struggle but moved the ball throughout the scrimmage. Wimberley scored 3 times and was in a position to score at least two other times but failed to do so. The 1st offense scored twice and the second group scored once, but I will say there were a lot of players moving in and out so I would expect a lot of inconsistency. Calallen's defense was good but did not dominate. We broke a lot of big plays for 20 or more yards but did not do a good job of blocking downfield and that kept us from breaking them all the way. I suspect there will be some receivers who will not like watching the film. You better block downfield if you expect to play wideout for the Texans. Running backs missed their holes and offensive line did not pick up their blocks at times. I will say, however, that the effort was there. Reid threw several interceptions which killed out some good drives, but 2 of them were deflections from the receiver so I can't fault him for those. It just seemed like if we missed one it went right to a Calallen DB. I felt that Reid was holding the ball a little too long and then forcing it into a very narrow window. He just needs more reps. Overall impression on offense: we need a lot of work but I felt that we were ahead of where we were at this time last year. Defense: solid, solid, solid. First D unit played the first 8 or 9 plays of the scrimmage and just played lights out. Several key hits and sacks during that stretch. Coaches then started making a lot of substitutions which is what this scrimmage was all about. Calallen scored 3 times and all 3 were against our 2nd group. Their first score came after a pass interference call, but it took at least 9 or 10 plays to go the last 20 yards. They had first and goal at the 1 and they finally got it in on 4th down. There were a lot of backups in and it was exciting to see the intensity. When our key players were in I felt that our defense dominated. We were very physical and put a lot of pressure on the QB for Calallen. There were a lot of positives that we can take away from the scrimmage: defense looked solid, high level of intensity, very physical, secondary showed signs of coming together, offense had some moments, screens and quick down and outs looked good, but offense needs to settle in on its players and then work out the kinks. Reid w

snaxet
08-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Reid w

Reid will need to make things happen not force them to happen. He has to to make quicker reads and get rid of the ball. If no one open, then tuck and run. He will be fine, he throws the ball well, he just needs the reps. Calallen was a very disciplined team and played very aggressively. They should have another great year. I wish them the best. Now it's Burnet on Thursday night.

wimbo_pro
08-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks Snaxet! Great breakdouwn, right to the point. I trust your take on things probably more than anyones!

Maroon87
08-19-2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info Snaxet! Best of luck to Wimberley this season...hopefully we'll see you guys at Jerry World!

Tejastrue
08-19-2012, 07:31 PM
That's good to hear about the defense and I think we all kind of figured the offense will struggle while working out the kinks. Thanks for posting Snaxet.

Gone Fishing
08-19-2012, 08:40 PM
I would say snaxet is pretty much right on. Defense looked very very good like we all know they should. The bad thing was about 6 players were going both ways, including the QB. That just might have to be the way it is this year with the lack of experienced depth at certain positions. The offense struggled mostly, but against a very good Calallen defense just like the Calallen offense struggled against a very good Texan Defense. Jones had some very good throws and also threw some picks, but several not his fault and went right through the rec hands into the db's. I think he needs more real reps also. The screens were run to perfection. The running backs got no good yards on running plays at all, the offensive line was not good and needs lots of work, but many players were rotating in each play which makes it difficult. We need a couple of receivers to step up and decide they are the man, most look average at best, but #9 Rainwater looked very good. I would think Thursday night Jones will get most of the reps and the offensive line might have more of a starting lineup feel to them which should help. I look forward to a good offensive outing against Burnet Thursday night.

wimbo_pro
08-20-2012, 02:05 PM
I would say snaxet is pretty much right on. Defense looked very very good like we all know they should. The bad thing was about 6 players were going both ways, including the QB. That just might have to be the way it is this year with the lack of experienced depth at certain positions. The offense struggled mostly, but against a very good Calallen defense just like the Calallen offense struggled against a very good Texan Defense. Jones had some very good throws and also threw some picks, but several not his fault and went right through the rec hands into the db's. I think he needs more real reps also. The screens were run to perfection. The running backs got no good yards on running plays at all, the offensive line was not good and needs lots of work, but many players were rotating in each play which makes it difficult. We need a couple of receivers to step up and decide they are the man, most look average at best, but #9 Rainwater looked very good. I would think Thursday night Jones will get most of the reps and the offensive line might have more of a starting lineup feel to them which should help. I look forward to a good offensive outing against Burnet Thursday night.

How did Lambert the Younger look?

YTBulldogs
08-20-2012, 02:09 PM
How did Lambert the Younger look?

Is he a QB too like his bro?

ogg
08-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Is he a QB too like his bro?

Wes was freshman RB/LB/special teams. Very good player.

ogg
08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Reid will need to make things happen not force them to happen. He hI'mas to to make quicker reads and get rid of the ball. If no one open, then tuck and run. He will be fine, he throws the ball well, he just needs the reps. Calallen was a very disciplined team and played very aggressively. They should have another great year. I wish them the best. Now it's Burnet on Thursday night.

I'm sure Jones will improve his reads week by week.

By playoffs he'll be know as "Read Jones".

Tejastrue
08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Read Jones...LOL

Gone Fishing
08-20-2012, 10:17 PM
West is a LB and a RB an IMO will start at LB next to Mann and will get a decent amount of carries at RB.. He is very good for a soph.

Gone Fishing
08-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Reed Jones will hopefully become "Read Jones" LOl !