3 Carthage (2) 167
4 Coldspring-Oakhurst (1) 130
T5 Navasota (1) 125
T5 Wimberley (1) 125
7 Argyle 89
8 Waco La Vega 74
T9 Alvarado 42
T9 Celina 42

Others Receiving Votes: Henderson (36), Tyler Chapel Hill (32), Gilmer (32), Monahans (14), West Columbia (13), Sealy (9), Bellville (6), Abilene Wylie (5), Kennedale (2), Kilgore (2), Melissa (1)

regaleagle
08-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Looks as if they like what is returning at Coldspring. Don't know how strong they will really be, but probably couldn't argue too much about it. Right now, in my mind all the top 20-25 teams in 3A this season are pretty much on equal footing at this early juncture. Too many good teams in both divisions that have a whole season to prove themselves.

Aesculus gilmus
08-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Looks as if they like what is returning at Coldspring. Don't know how strong they will really be, but probably couldn't argue too much about it. Right now, in my mind all the top 20-25 teams in 3A this season are pretty much on equal footing at this early juncture. Too many good teams in both divisions that have a whole season to prove themselves.

We hear too little about Oakhurst and the contribution this part of the consolidated district makes. Oakhurst sounds as if it could field a good golf team. However, I think it may be in the middle of a national forest. Hard to play golf without your drives ricocheting off the pine trees.

By Jove, my first instinct was right. Why isn't this district winning state in golf every year?
"There are approximately twenty-five (25) golf courses within a 50-mile (80 km) radius of Coldspring."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldspring,_Texas

Manso/V8
08-16-2012, 04:49 PM

We faced Coldspring in the second round of the playoffs last year and their defense was pretty impressive to say the least. The best defense we had seen all year for sure. Everytime a Coldspring player made a good/great play on D, I would look up his number on the roster, and I remember thinking "that kid is only only a sophomore/junior?".........I don't remember all the names or details, but it seemed like they had a lot of talent coming back. They were highly motivated and well coached too. I don't know where they should be ranked, but for sure they will be a force, at least on the defensive side of the ball.

defense51
08-16-2012, 05:22 PM
http://www.texashsfootball.com/rankings/2012/ap/preseason.htm

1 Stephenville (15) 227
2 La Marque (5) 202
3 Carthage (2) 167
T5 Navasota (1) 125
T5 Wimberley (1) 125
7 Argyle 89
8 Waco La Vega 74
T9 Alvarado 42
T9 Celina 42

Others Receiving Votes: Henderson (36), Tyler Chapel Hill (32), Gilmer (32), Monahans (14), West Columbia (13), Sealy (9), Bellville (6), Abilene Wylie (5), Kennedale (2), Kilgore (2), Melissa (1)

Looks like a pretty solid top 10 poll.

YTBulldogs
08-16-2012, 05:54 PM
El Campo IMO is a top 10 team. But, this early, the hole thing can be turned upside down by week 10. No one knows. Have not seen posters at our workouts yet. By no means do I think my Dogs are a top 10 team. We will be a team I think that improves weekly, and hopefully peaks at the end.

First time in a while, that our "O" is ahead of our "D" heading into our scrimmage sections.

speedbump
08-16-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure about top ten but not having them among those 22 teams is ridiculous. I'd say the Ricebirds should be top 15 in any poll that can be taken seriously.

Manso/V8
08-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Maybe they just forgot they dropped.
Where do you think EC would be ranked in 4a?

CTS
08-17-2012, 04:45 AM
La Marque opens season ranked No. 2

By Jordan Godwin
The Daily News

Published August 17, 2012

LA MARQUE — No two teams dominated the Class 4A level of Texas high school football in the 1990s like La Marque and Stephenville.

The squads went back and forth in multiple state championship games, and in 2012 they find themselves paired in completely different territory.

Now playing in Class 3A, Stephenville is the top-ranked team and La Marque is No. 2 in The Associated Press preseason rankings released Thursday.

During the Cougars’ run of six straight championship game appearances from 1993-98, La Marque went 3-3, losing to Stephenville the three times they faced off in the title game. Alan Weddell was at the helm for all three of those titles in a five-year span.

“We’re striving to get this program back to the level that coach Weddell had it back then, and ironically, it’s us and Stephenville at the top,” La Marque head coach Mike Jackson said. “But right now, we’re not worried about rankings. We’re focused on Galveston Ball.”

Jackson said the Cougars’ tough nondistrict schedule that begins Aug. 30 against Ball and later follows with Texas City and Coldspring, the fourth-ranked team in Class 3A, could prove problematic in holding onto the high ranking.

No other Galveston County teams were included in the AP rankings, but Pearland Dawson, the overwhelming favorite in District 24-4A, is No. 4 in Class 4A.

YTBulldogs
08-17-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm not sure about top ten but not having them among those 22 teams is ridiculous. I'd say the Ricebirds should be top 15 in any poll that can be taken seriously.

Agree. Early season poll's are hard I understand. And, my spelling is pitiful in the prior post. Sorry. :helpme: Was amazed when I seen EC not in top 10.

zeeman
08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Why did LaMarque have to drop to 3A? *sigh*

Manso/V8
08-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Where do yall think Stephenville, La Marque, and El Campo would be ranked in the 4a poll this year?

Top 10, Top 25, or not on the radar?

Sville
08-17-2012, 02:10 PM
I think Sville would be ranked some where between 5-10 in 4A this year. It is based on what they did last year in 4A and what they have coming back.

YTBulldogs
08-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Where do yall think Stephenville, La Marque, and El Campo would be ranked in the 4a poll this year?

Top 10, Top 25, or not on the radar?

I think EC would of been a top 10 4A team out the gate. Solid senior's returning from a 7-4 playoff club last year. Gillis' Multiple-T offense run to perfection. Couple D1 prospects coming off this team I believe. They'll play in the toughest district in the 3A, and in the end, will have to earn the respect they were not given at the start I guess by the pollster's.

Have no clue about the other two teams (Stephenville, LaMarque) and where they would have been ranked in 4A. Don't follow them much.

toddg
08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.texashsfootball.com/rankings/2012/ap/preseason.htm

1 Stephenville (15) 227
2 La Marque (5) 202
3 Carthage (2) 167
T5 Navasota (1) 125
T5 Wimberley (1) 125
7 Argyle 89
8 Waco La Vega 74
T9 Alvarado 42
T9 Celina 42

its my opinion that Navasota is the sleeper BadA^^ in this list!

Gone Fishing
08-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Tons of skill players, but not many for the trenches, is what I heard..

regaleagle
08-23-2012, 10:03 AM
I think alot of the better coaching staffs will be emphacizing defensive schemes moreso now than in the past. The proliferation of the passing game with mulitiple sets out of the spread, along with the rise of more outstanding qbs and reciever corps in Texas high school football over the past 5 yrs. or so in all classifications will be countered now by defensive alignments designed to keep these offensive juggernaut teams in check. JMO, but I think we are seeing that already to some degree in the college ranks, and the trickle down effect to high school play should start showing itself moreso as coaching staffs learn how to best defend against these proliferate offenses.

regaleagle
08-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Of course, it always comes down to execution for the offense. They know what they going to do, and the defense doesn't, lol. That's what makes defending so difficult against a team that can execute offensively.

HEMOTOXIC
08-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Tons of skill players, but not many for the trenches, is what I heard..

You heard wrong my friend.

hollywood
08-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Stephenville will be the sleeper this season. ;) Many are expecting them to do well based on last year’s success in 4A and what is returning for this season. They are ranked #1 in most preseason polls and are so respectfully. But how good are they going to be? That's where many that are not familiar with Stephenville talent and returning starters this year will be surprised. My honest opinion is that they would be ranked anywhere from 5-8 in the 4A AP preseason poll.

Basic overview:
Stephenville's offense is a well oiled and dynamic machine with above average new talent and very good experienced talent. Execution is very sharp with few mistakes. The offense has a solid 5-6 receivers, including the RB's, lead by a talented senior QB with a lot of fire power.
The sleeper portion of the offense is going to be the 2nd string QB. This kid is an athlete and very talented as a soph. I see him getting some playing time this season at QB.

Stephenville's defense will be very good in all aspects with the emphasis on a very strong DL and LB corps. A solid group of DB's that cover well.

The speed at which this team executes on both sides of the ball will surprise teams. A lot of football to be played, but don't be surprised if Stephenville goes undefeated this season.

There ya go. It's all out in the open now. :wave:

:1popcorn:

toddg
08-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Stephenville will be the sleeper this season. ;) Many are expecting them to do well based on last year’s success in 4A and what is returning for this season. They are ranked #1 in most preseason polls and are so respectfully. But how good are they going to be? That's where many that are not familiar with Stephenville talent and returning starters this year will be surprised. My honest opinion is that they would be ranked anywhere from 5-8 in the 4A AP preseason poll.

Basic overview:
Stephenville's offense is a well oiled and dynamic machine with above average new talent and very good experienced talent. Execution is very sharp with few mistakes. The offense has a solid 5-6 receivers, including the RB's, lead by a talented senior QB with a lot of fire power.
The sleeper portion of the offense is going to be the 2nd string QB. This kid is an athlete and very talented as a soph. I see him getting some playing time this season at QB.

Stephenville's defense will be very good in all aspects with the emphasis on a very strong DL and LB corps. A solid group of DB's that cover well.

The speed at which this team executes on both sides of the ball will surprise teams. A lot of football to be played, but don't be surprised if Stephenville goes undefeated this season.

There ya go. It's all out in the open now. :wave:

:1popcorn:
they had all that and then some last year Hollywood...all four of the 4a final four would have beat them by 4 tds...in fact, 2 of them did..!

i do agree that the jackets should win the state championship this year...but, they will not go undefeated. JMO

hollywood
08-23-2012, 11:48 AM
they had all that and then some last year Hollywood...all four of the 4a final four would have beat them by 4 tds...in fact, 2 of them did..!

i do agree that the jackets should win the state championship this year...but, they will not go undefeated. JMO
:lies:

You have a point but it's subjective. They could have played those games again and have an opposite outcome.

If you want to know the difference between Stephenville 2011 and Stephenville 2012, Stephenville 2012 would beat Stephenville 2011 by 2-3 TD's. :p

regaleagle
08-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Where's Rocket when you need him? :blahblah:

toddg
08-23-2012, 12:01 PM
:lies:

You have a point but it's subjective. They could have played those games again and have an opposite outcome.

If you want to know the difference between Stephenville 2011 and Stephenville 2012, Stephenville 2012 would beat Stephenville 2011 by 2-3 TD's. :p

other than the super soph at wr/qb...the jackets have inexperiance on the OL and DL, LBs and secondary...who replaces Coverdale?

hollywood
08-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Where's Rocket when you need him? :blahblah:

In Hobbs, NM.

hollywood
08-23-2012, 12:14 PM
other than the super soph at wr/qb...the jackets have inexperiance on the OL and DL, LBs and secondary...who replaces Coverdale?

All though there is inexperience on the OL and DL (more so on OL), so far, these positions have been fulfilled very well. As far as covering for Coverdale.. there are a couple of players willing to step up into that role. DB's and the OL were the 2 weeknesses needing to fill the most but it appears that those roles are looking just as strong as last season's at this point. LB's will be stronger this season. No dissrespect to last years group.

Gone Fishing
08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
You heard wrong my friend.

Maybe so, but it was from a Rattler.

HEMOTOXIC
08-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Maybe so, but it was from a Rattler.

Doesn't matter who it came from, they must not have seen what everyone else saw and know the capabilites of this team.

cowboyandchrist
08-23-2012, 05:44 PM

I agree, Navasota brings back many starters and they gave Chapel Hill one heck of a game. I say D1 comes down to Carthage, the Ville, and the Rattlers. If the O-line stays healthly for Carthage, we got a good chance. They go 6'3" 280, 6'4" 295, 6'4" 285, 6'3" 290. Carthage will run and throw the ball this year.

Ville-D
08-23-2012, 10:10 PM
I agree, Navasota brings back many starters and they gave Chapel Hill one heck of a game. I say D1 comes down to Carthage, the Ville, and the Rattlers. If the O-line stays healthly for Carthage, we got a good chance. They go 6'3" 280, 6'4" 295, 6'4" 285, 6'3" 290. Carthage will run and throw the ball this year.

How big is the 5th lineman?

hollywood
08-24-2012, 03:41 PM

Will they be as good as the 2010 OL?

cowboyandchrist
08-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Will they be as good as the 2010 OL?

With only one scrimmage against Kilgore it is hard to say if they will be better. They will be bigger and stronger than 2010. They did real well against Kilgore, but Coach S moved a lot of players in and out of the scrimmage. Just to early to tell.

FriskyBadger
08-25-2012, 10:56 PM
How big is the 5th lineman?

Ur right these r the top 3 d1 teams.... U can take that to the bank

FriskyBadger
08-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Ur right these r the top 3 d1 teams.... U can take that to the bank

Sorry wrong quote but... carth the Ville and nav are the best 3 teams in d1