PDA

View Full Version : Oilfield Move ins

Blue42
08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
In the varsity level I have not seen one oilfield move in on the football team this year. You would think with all the activity and growth that we might have seen one or two. We did get a couple of move ins but they were not oilfield related.

orange machine
08-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Celina got two move ins this week I think they are from Washington.

87 TIGER
08-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Celina got two move ins this week I think they are from Washington.Redskins?

Ranger Mom
08-16-2012, 09:58 AM
I never really thought of "oil field" move ins!! The Permian Basin is busting at the seams right now with all the oilfield activity. Someone predicted that Midland would probably double in size in the next year. The only "bad" thing is the lack of housing....people with jobs and a vehicle are having to stay at Salvation Army because they can't find a place to live...no motel rooms, no apartments, no housing AT ALL! We even have people living in storage units. Greenwood is growing by leaps and bounds...housing developments are popping up everywhere. I hope we get a few move ins.

YTBulldogs
08-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Zero here too. :( Man, Permian back in the 80's got numerous. LOL.

Matthew328
08-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Seems like a lot of the oil field workers are young single guys, or guys who work for a week or two in the field and then go back home etc....don't seem to hear of many oilfield guys actually moving to where they are working..that being said I bet business for Jaguars in Odessa is booming...lol I know its damn near impossible to find a hotel room in Midland-Odessa these days

Ranger Mom
08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Seems like a lot of the oil field workers are young single guys, or guys who work for a week or two in the field and then go back home etc....don't seem to hear of many oilfield guys actually moving to where they are working..that being said I bet business for Jaguars in Odessa is booming...lol I know its damn near impossible to find a hotel room in Midland-Odessa these days

My daughter is selling her house and moving in with me until her new one gets built. Last week we got a storage room for her stuff and found out the girl working there had just moved here from Florida. My daughter asked her why she would move from Florida to West Texas and she said because of the economy. She is living alone, and didn't come here because of the oilfield, she just couldn't find a job ANYWHERE in Florida. She is renting a bedroom from a family here!! CRAZY!!!!

YTBulldogs
08-16-2012, 01:13 PM
My daughter is selling her house and moving in with me until her new one gets built. Last week we got a storage room for her stuff and found out the girl working there had just moved here from Florida. My daughter asked her why she would move from Florida to West Texas and she said because of the economy. She is living alone, and didn't come here because of the oilfield, she just couldn't find a job ANYWHERE in Florida. She is renting a bedroom from a family here!! CRAZY!!!!

Maybe she likes jack rabbits?

Old Green
08-16-2012, 01:38 PM
I never really thought of "oil field" move ins!! The Permian Basin is busting at the seams right now with all the oilfield activity. Someone predicted that Midland would probably double in size in the next year. The only "bad" thing is the lack of housing....people with jobs and a vehicle are having to stay at Salvation Army because they can't find a place to live...no motel rooms, no apartments, no housing AT ALL! We even have people living in storage units. Greenwood is growing by leaps and bounds...housing developments are popping up everywhere. I hope we get a few move ins.That's one of the main problems here. No place to live and the greed of some rental property owners jacking the prices up.

But most of the guys in the oilfield just work here and go home to their families where they came from.

Ranger Mom
08-16-2012, 02:40 PM
That's one of the main problems here. No place to live and the greed of some rental property owners jacking the prices up.

But most of the guys in the oilfield just work here and go home to their families where they came from.

My son is a tool pusher for a drilling company...he is the only one on his crew that is even from Texas. All the rest are from Louisiana and Michigan. They work 2 week camp jobs, so they don't live here...but there certainly are a lot that HAVE moved here! The traffic is worse than the metroplex at times. Our roads weren't built for that much traffic. There seems to be at LEAST one fatal accident every day in either Midland or Odessa!

Old Green
08-16-2012, 03:02 PM
My son is a tool pusher for a drilling company...he is the only one on his crew that is even from Texas. All the rest are from Louisiana and Michigan. They work 2 week camp jobs, so they don't live here...but there certainly are a lot that HAVE moved here! The traffic is worse than the metroplex at times. Our roads weren't built for that much traffic. There seems to be at LEAST one fatal accident every day in either Midland or Odessa!Same here. Traffic is horrible. There are a lot of out of state vehicles running around, accidents are occuring pretty regular.

Blue42
08-16-2012, 07:12 PM
That's one of the main problems here. No place to live and the greed of some rental property owners jacking the prices up.

You are correct Val I have 9 rentals now and people are literally fighting over what I have because I have not gouged my renters and all of my houses are in good locations and in good shape in fact I have 4 within 2 blocks of your house. I will have a beautiful one in Yoakum ready in 2 weeks that I have completely redone if any one is looking.

Old LB
08-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Been in Cotulla for a couple of months now, living in the RV in the backyard of a local resident ($500 a month!). Hotels here are $200 a night and everything is overwelmed by the growth. Just like anywhere else though a lot of these folks are not relocating. We sold our house in Brownwood this week and will be moving to San Antonio by mid-Sept. Houses in Cotulla are as high or higher than San Antonio if you are lucky enough to find one.

Old Green
08-16-2012, 08:40 PM
You are correct Val I have 9 rentals now and people are literally fighting over what I have because I have not gouged my renters and all of my houses are in good locations and in good shape in fact I have 4 within 2 blocks of your house. I will have a beautiful one in Yoakum ready in 2 weeks that I have completely redone if any one is looking.They look great too. You're doing things the right way and making the people with families want to live here. There are other things the city could do to attract the oilfield offices and warehouses here, but that's another topic:)

regaleagle
08-16-2012, 08:53 PM
So what's gonna happen out west when you have to travel a long distance to a game on Friday nite and want to stay in a hotel overnite????

Emerson1
08-16-2012, 09:03 PM
So what's gonna happen out west when you have to travel a long distance to a game on Friday nite and want to stay in a hotel overnite????
Rent an RV or pitch a tent

sinfan75
08-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Rent an RV or pitch a tentRight now it's pipeliners and roughnecks comin in. In a few years you'll start seein the operators lookin for homes.

Blue42
08-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Saw an article the other day about Natural Gas in the USA it basically said we have enough in our country to supply us for the next 300 years! The USA would not need any foreign oil if we would use our resources and in turn put our people to work.

Manso/V8
08-16-2012, 11:26 PM

You can still find a room to rent 'by the hour' in Odessa.
Most restaurants are at least a 45 minute wait around dinner time.

Manso/V8
08-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Saw an article the other day about Natural Gas in the USA it basically said we have enough in our country to supply us for the next 300 years! The USA would not need any foreign oil if we would use our resources and in turn put our people to work.

A lot of conversion to natural gas from coal for electricity generation, and conversion/availability of vehicles to run on CNG - compressed natural gas, and the infrastructure to supply CNG needs to be put in place before we can begin to replace oil. It is the logical solution, but it will take time. Natural gas needs to be at least $4.00, maybe $4.50 per 1000 ft3 before non-conventional (like shale) dry natural gas wells make economic sense. I think the price was $2.88 per 1,000 ft3 today. Most of the activity you see in South Texas is for natural gas with natural gas liquids (like propane, butane, etc) and shale oil. The activity in the Permian is almost all oil, most of their natural gas is flared right now.

Blue42
08-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Yes you are right sounds like your very knowledgeable about this. If the government would get behind the push for Natural Gas instead of wind and solar you could still make a good profit even if the price went under $1.00 per MMCF and we would not need anything from any other country that’s how I’d like to see it. Then after that get rid of all the crap that China and Mexico sends us and make everything we need here. MADE IN THE USA, PRODUCED IN THE USA, GOD BLESS AMERICA. Man I’m going outside to put my flag out and then noticed it had MADE IN China on it what a patriotic kick in the crouch.

Ranger Mom
08-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Get ready to drive back Colorado City or Sweetwater. The Permian Basin will be having their annual Air Show in October, one of our consultants lives in Nebraska and tried to get a room reserved, he couldn't find one in Odessa, Midland or Big Spring. One thing though, there are several hotels by the Stadium that are adding on right now.