PDA

View Full Version : West Columbia 2012

Saggy Aggie
08-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Tell me what you know, 13/14, yellaseeker, 93, necked, etc.

Who's the QB? how are we looking? When/where are the scrimmages?

I'm outta the loop busy with summer school/work/GRE exam/applications for grad school/financial aid stuff so i need my local peeps to provide me with some info.

I'd like to make it to the scrimmages though to see what we're working with here. I think the transition to Lynch should be pretty smooth.

neck_06
08-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Scrimmage vs El Campo this Friday at 7:00pm. Griggs Field.

Saggy Aggie
08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Scrimmage vs El Campo this Friday at 7:00pm. Griggs Field.

Should be a good measuring stick. EC should be pretty good this year

Necked
08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Here is a roster I stumbled across, though it seems like its incomplete:
#2 CLINCH, SAM WR/CB SR - -
#3 BESS, FLOYD RB/OLB SR 5'9" 145 lbs.
#4 WOODARD, DEVIN WR SR 5'11" 150 lbs.
#5 BELL, DARIUS QB/CB SR - -
#6 KESEE, JARIUS WR/FS SO - -
#7 GOMEZ, GREG WR/K SR - -
#9 FIELDS, LAMARCUS WR/CB JR - -
#10 PANIAGUA, LUIS TE/MLB JR - -
#11 JOHNSON, WILLIS QB/FS SR 5'11" 175 lbs.
#12 SMITH, TYLER WR/CB SR - -
#15 MCLEAN, TREY FB/MLB SR - -
#19 FARRIS, CARRICK RB/CB SO - -
#20 RODRIGUEZ, DAVID SR - -
#22 ZABCIK, COULTER WR/OLB SR - -
#24 ROARK, COLEMAN RB SR - -
#26 THOMAS, BRODERICK RB/OLB SR - -
#31 HARRIS, BRANDON WR/OLB SO - -
#32 GRIGGS, RYAN SR - -
#33 MYLES, MARQUISE OLB SR - -
#41 DURHAM, MATT WR SR - -
#47 SERVIN, ADRIAN FB/MLB JR - -
#50 MCCARTHY, ALAN G/OLB SR - -
#53 FRANKUN, DAKOTA G/DT SR - -
#55 HENDRICK, QUINN C/DT JR - -
#61 KING, GRIFFIN JR - -
#64 HENSON, ZACK SR - -
#66 MARTINEZ, PHILLIP T/DT JR - -
#68 FINLEY, JAKE SR - -
#71 FLORES-LEMON, BENARD T/DT SR - -
#75 KASPAR, KOLTON SR - -
#78 YONTS, MICHAEL SR - -
#81 BARNES, ZACH WR/CB SR - -
#88 COTTEN, JERRY SR 6'1" 185 lbs.
- HAMPSON, JUSTIN C/DT SO - -

Roughneck93
08-15-2012, 08:06 PM
From what I've seen at practice the last few days, Darius Bell and Willis are alternating at QB. Looks like Darius is taking first team snaps.

'Necks 2013-14
08-15-2012, 09:12 PM
From what I've seen at practice the last few days, Darius Bell and Willis are alternating at QB. Looks like Darius is taking first team snaps.IMO, Willis is too valuable in the secondary to be the starting QB. That said, I also believe he could start @ QB and do well if needed. Not a bad second option if the situation arises.

Roughneck93
08-15-2012, 09:20 PM
IMO, Willis is too valuable in the secondary to be the starting QB. That said, I also believe he could start @ QB and do well if needed. Not a bad second option if the situation arises.

Yeah I agree. Willis sure does have an arm on him though.

'Necks 2013-14
08-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Tell me what you know, 13/14, yellaseeker, 93, necked, etc.

Who's the QB? how are we looking? When/where are the scrimmages?

I'm outta the loop busy with summer school/work/GRE exam/applications for grad school/financial aid stuff so i need my local peeps to provide me with some info.

I'd like to make it to the scrimmages though to see what we're working with here. I think the transition to Lynch should be pretty smooth.Watched the intra-squad scrimmage on Saturday and liked what I saw. Speed, hard hitting and just a little glimpse of what I think will be a much more wide open playbook ala Lynch. Nice to see Fields deciding to play this season and not just focus on roundball. He and Carrick- (Farris/Fortenberry) can both fly and should more than amend for the speed we lost to graduation. I understand the move-in from Bport does not want to play QB but really wants to hit someone @ LB!! Guess you can't blame him for wanting to dish instead of take for a change!! I did notice that Roark and Griggs were out for the scrimmage but I don't know for sure why. King will probably not participate in the EC scrimmage on Friday as he is seeing an orth. doc (Eggleston) tomorrow for a knee issue. Looking forward to an exciting season and hope to see you on Friday nights Saggy. Also, glad to know that you weren't affected by that wacko in CS the other day!

'Necks 2013-14
08-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Yeah I agree. Willis sure does have an arm on him though.4 sure-- he can sling it!

Saggy Aggie
08-15-2012, 11:08 PM
great stuff guys. i knew yall would come through :clap:

Necks88Fan
08-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Well, it's definately looking like Bell is taking more snaps. Boy is he shifty and fast. Roark hurt his shoulder, opposite of the one he had surgery on. Griggs just sprained an ankle from what i was told. I do like the idea of the b'port kid playing some middle linebacker atleast until we see who's gonna carry the mail better. He has looked very good out of the backfield as well and would make a good FB and i think we need a kid with his build for those 3rd and short plays between the tackles as well as goal line punches. My knucklehead is still at DE/TE and i look forward to him being successful as well. Good chance of the sofomore Moody being on the other end. He's got the size and descent speed and is picking it up quiet well. I do think in the mind of the coaches that Willis is just too detrimental to the secondary and has been throughout his high school career. Other than that, i think he offers quiet a bit behind center as well. As far as the staff, don't see them missing a beat. Looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

Necked
08-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Too bad about Roark, wouldnt have these shoulder problems ifen he didnt hit people so hard! Who is the OC Alfred Black? I'm not familiar with him...

Roughneck93
08-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Too bad about Roark, wouldnt have these shoulder problems ifen he didnt hit people so hard! Who is the OC Alfred Black? I'm not familiar with him...

Not familiar with Coach Black either. Anyone have any info on him?

'Necks 2013-14
08-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Not familiar with Coach Black either. Anyone have any info on him?Came over from Brazoswood...that is all I know.

Roughneck93
08-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Came over from Brazoswood...that is all I know.

Ah, gotcha.

Necked
08-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Been around some...
Alfred Black
Lorena 1995-2001
Montgomery 2001-2002
Angleton 2002-2005
Brazoswood 2005-2011

yellaseeker
08-24-2012, 07:48 PM
You Roughneck fans are not doing your job and keeping this thread updated with the latest news. Each game will still warrant a new thread but it would be nice to have this one used for updates on players stats, position changes if any, injuries (hopefully none), overall outlook of the squad and staff. With the thread title Saggy used, it's good for the whole season.

Just got news that it looks like one of the lineman will probably be out for the season.

Roughneck93
08-25-2012, 09:26 AM
You Roughneck fans are not doing your job and keeping this thread updated with the latest news. Each game will still warrant a new thread but it would be nice to have this one used for updates on players stats, position changes if any, injuries (hopefully none), overall outlook of the squad and staff. With the thread title Saggy used, it's good for the whole season.

Just got news that it looks like one of the lineman will probably be out for the season.

Hate to hear that. That's one position we can't afford to be thin at.

Necks88Fan
08-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Yeah, heard from my son that Griffin King has an injury but didn't realize it was that serious. Hearing a torn ACL. That's a bummer cause he is definately a contributor to the line.

Necks88Fan
08-29-2012, 06:21 PM
My class reunion starts at the game Friday night in Roughneck fashion and will carry on thru saturday. They reserved tickets for the class so most should be grouped up somewhere. I keep my same seasonal seats every year with a birdseye view so i won't be with the rest of the group when the game starts. Looking forward to seeing some of the folks i graduated with. Although this will be my first, we've had atleast two or three reunions in the past. The Roughnecks will have a little extra support come Friday night so, let's get it on!

Saggy Aggie
08-29-2012, 07:44 PM
My class reunion starts at the game Friday night in Roughneck fashion and will carry on thru saturday. They reserved tickets for the class so most should be grouped up somewhere. I keep my same seasonal seats every year with a birdseye view so i won't be with the rest of the group when the game starts. Looking forward to seeing some of the folks i graduated with. Although this will be my first, we've had atleast two or three reunions in the past. The Roughnecks will have a little extra support come Friday night so, let's get it on!
Lol my mom is class of 87 and is going to the reunion. Weird..

Necked
08-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Small world, I'm '87 too...

Hater
08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Small world, I'm '87 too...

Are you Saggy Aggy's mom???!

Necks88Fan
08-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Lol my mom is class of 87 and is going to the reunion. Weird..

Well, she is part of a good class. We were a pretty wild bunch for the most part. There were mulitiple groups just like most classes but, we all mixed in well at most functions and got along well. I'm sure you didn't get over much on her growing up, we witnessed a lot back in those days and some did way more doing than witnessing. lol What was your mom's maiden name so i can tell her how naughty you are on the forum. HaHa!

Necked, your gonna have to give me a clue as to who you are. I'll give you a clue about me. Look in your HS annual. Second page, bottom row, second from left.

Saggy Aggie
08-31-2012, 01:11 AM
Mom's name is Cheryl Reed.

And spare me on the stories from hs. I don't even wanna know

Necked
08-31-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm friends with her on FB. I even asked her out once back in HS. She showed great wisdom for her age by turning me down. I already figured out whom N88fan is, now if I can figure out who yellaseeker is. I think he mentioned he was an '87 grad as well. Is that right yella?

Manso/V8
08-31-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm friends with her on FB. I even asked her out once back in HS. She showed great wisdom for her age by turning me down. I already figured out whom N88fan is, now if I can figure out who yellaseeker is. I think he mentioned he was an '87 grad as well. Is that right yella?

Yellaseeker has a pretty distinct personality, at least on this forum, you should be able to figure it out if you graduated with him.

Saggy Aggie
08-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Haha well sorry to hear that. She'll be at the game with me tonight

Necks88Fan
08-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Mom's name is Cheryl Reed.

Naa, we weren't bad, just a little mischievous at times. I remember cheryl and i guessed right, you didn't get by with much. She could be pretty tough. lol

You guys don't get yellaseeker riled up cause he'll have to go listen to his little cassette tape with the water running in the background and birds a chirping. He can get a little mental, if you know what i mean. I sent him a PM right after i joined and he wouldn't give me a clue. Let me know if you figure it out.

yellaseeker
09-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Not a clue is right. I don't get mental until someone gets retarded or steps on my johnson. Birds chirping and water trickling, lol. You guys got me pegged wrong. Nuff of that, how bout those roughnecks! Little sloppy but think we're gonna be alright. Just need to strengthen a few areas. Good thing is we took it to Bports arse and didn't get anyone hurt. I pitty them bluejays next week. How bout the game #9 and #3 had. Hopefully, the Bell kid will be back next week to see another spectacular perfomance from him too. Remember to keep this one updated. May or may not make the next game so, one of you guys post the play by play on the game thread.

baseballcoach13
09-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, she is part of a good class. We were a pretty wild bunch for the most part. There were mulitiple groups just like most classes but, we all mixed in well at most functions and got along well. I'm sure you didn't get over much on her growing up, we witnessed a lot back in those days and some did way more doing than witnessing. lol What was your mom's maiden name so i can tell her how naughty you are on the forum. HaHa!

Necked, your gonna have to give me a clue as to who you are. I'll give you a clue about me. Look in your HS annual. Second page, bottom row, second from left.

I looked at my annual....said beside your pic, "Most likely to be a homosexual"

BwdLion73
09-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Are you Saggy Aggy's mom???!

Im sorry but that made me laugh!:spitlol:

Necked
09-03-2012, 07:46 PM

That was just an ugly rumor...even if he was I would let it slide, cause his kid is a good tackler...

Saggy Aggie
09-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Is Bell going to play this week?

Roughneck93
09-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Is Bell going to play this week?

Not sure.

Can't wait to see him in there though. He's fun to watch.

Necked
09-03-2012, 10:46 PM
He's fun to watch.

Fun, like a clown? Was curious about that big Harris kid back on kick returns. With all the speed they have to chose from he must have some good speed too...

Roughneck93
09-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Fun, like a clown? Was curious about that big Harris kid back on kick returns. With all the speed they have to chose from he must have some good speed too...

Nah, fun like punishing DBs in the open field. He does not go down easily.

And did you see the Harris kid run over that BPort player? :eek:

Saggy Aggie
09-03-2012, 10:57 PM

That kid is going to be a monster. Just a soph right?

He TRUCKED that bport kid and nearly broke that return for a TD....

Roughneck93
09-03-2012, 11:00 PM
That kid is going to be a monster. Just a soph right?

He TRUCKED that bport kid and nearly broke that return for a TD....

Yes sir, just a soph.

Necked
09-03-2012, 11:03 PM
I turned away cause I thought he was going to let it go out of bounds. I did see him wiping some kid from his cleats...was that the one? They didn't have that one on the hudl tape, but they did have Fields two returns. Glad he decided to play football this year...

Roughneck93
09-03-2012, 11:06 PM
I turned away cause I thought he was going to let it go out of bounds. I did see him wiping some kid from his cleats...was that the one? The didn't have that one on the hudl tape, but they did have Fields two returns. Glad he decided to play football this year...

Yeah that was the one, lol.

Hater
09-04-2012, 07:27 AM
I thought he was going to let it go out of bounds

Might be a smart play for Needville this week....just kick the kickoff out of bounds. Fields can't run it back if you put it in the bleachers.

Necks88Fan
09-04-2012, 07:07 PM

Haha, he got jokes!

Necks88Fan
09-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Gonna be a little late for the needville game so yall post some good details of the first quarter so i can read up on it when i get back home. Hope i don't get fired off the tunnel crew. lol

Manso/V8
09-05-2012, 04:42 PM

When I first glanced at your post, I thought it said some other word with a, n, and u instead of annual.

Necks88Fan
09-05-2012, 06:06 PM
It's official, Darius Bell has been baptised in Maroon and White. Game on!

Roughneck93
09-05-2012, 06:09 PM
It's official, Darius Bell has been baptised in Maroon and White. Game on!

:2thumbsup

Saggy Aggie
09-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Excellent news!

I know Willis is more than capable of running the offense, but that boy is a hoss on defense. I like to see him back on that side of the ball.

Plus, I'm sure the coaches will find a way to incorporate him offensively as well. Can never have too many athletes. Just another weapon.

yellaseeker
09-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Great news indeed. I bet that Sweeny coach is walking around with a chapped A$$ right about now. Had heard that was the roadblock that started it. :tisk:

Necks88Fan
09-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Great news indeed. I bet that Sweeny coach is walking around with a chapped A$$ right about now. Had heard that was the roadblock that started it. :tisk:

Surely not. Hard to believe a coach would go so far as to retaliate against a player by taking it to UIL.

Necks88Fan
09-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Well, looks like Brandon Harris injured his knee in the Needville game tonight. Don't know the severity yet but i surely hope he's able to return soon.

Necks88Fan
09-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Brandon Harris "A.K.A. BUG" out for the season with torn ACL. Hearing 5 mos. I was really looking forward to watching him shine this year. On the bright side, he has two years left to show his stuff. Going to be a hell of a stud his Junior and Senior year.

Roughneck93
09-13-2012, 08:19 AM
From The Facts...

BESS IN THE WEST
Columbia senior leader on way to another strong season.

By ALEX YBARRA | Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:00 am
WEST COLUMBIA — When Columbia senior Floyd Bess was growing up, the San Diego Chargers’ LaDainian Tomlinson was tearing apart defenses every Sunday in the NFL.
A natural ball carrier himself, Bess was doing the same, albeit on a smaller scale — in Peewee and junior high.
“He may be old, but my favorite player is LT, LaDainian Tomlinson,” Bess said, standing on the sideline during Columbia practice Tuesday. “I like his stiff-arm and jukes. I try to learn from him.”

That’s not a bad person to imitate.

Like Tomlinson did so well in his prime, Bess certainly knows how to find the end zone from anywhere on the field. The speedy running back exploded on the scene as a sophomore in 2010, gaining 1,121 yards and 10 touchdowns. Bess then showed improvement as a junior, turning in 1,245 yards and 13 touchdowns as Columbia reached the 3A state semifinals for the second straight season.

As an outside linebacker, his speed works in Columbia’s favor on the defensive side of the ball, too.

“Floyd has just been steadily getting better each and every year,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said. “He started his sophomore year, and defensively, he’s played really well. He’s playing good football for us right now on both sides of the ball.”

He already has 293 yards and four touchdowns on 33 carries during a 2-0 start this season.

“I try to learn to run up the field and not side-to-side, because that’s not gonna get me anywhere,” he said. “So I try my best to go up the field.”

And up the field he goes, even on special teams. Bess returned a kickoff 84 yards in the season opener against Brazosport.

“He’s so explosive that any time he touches the ball there’s a chance he can go,” Lynch said.

It’s that explosiveness that gives him such a strong defensive presence. Whether it’s rushing the quarterback or covering a top receiver man-to-man with the skills of a cornerback, his versatility is second to none.

“He’s been a good outside linebacker his whole career,” Columbia defensive coordinator Chris Gerbich said. “He does things that other guys can’t do, especially when we send him on blitzes, he’s so fast that he gets to the quarterback quick.”

Bess has stepped into a different role as a senior, shouldering the responsibility after the graduation of several veterans.

He’s not too vocal, but lately he’s spoken up more, Lynch said, even offering his thoughts on how to improve the offense against Needville.

“I would put myself as a leader on the team,” Bess said. “I pump them up during games. I say chants and everything for us. I consider myself a leader.”

And rightly so, now that Bess has played deep into November two straight seasons.

“There’s no doubt that’s helped him, being on varsity the last couple years and seeing guys that were leaders,” Lynch said.

Bess might be more of a lead-by-example type, not necessarily someone who yells a lot, but he isn’t afraid to say Columbia can make it three straight trips to the state semifinals.

“I always say, three is the lucky number,” Bess said. “This will be our third time. We’re gonna win this time.”

The Roughnecks will need to get past La Marque and rival Sweeny in District 24-3A, but Bess, confident in his team, doesn’t see that as a problem.

“I think we can do great things,” he said. “I think we can go to state. They say La Marque is gonna run through our district, but we’re gonna beat them, too.”

http://thefacts.com/sports/local_sports/article_1ef0f6a6-fd59-11e1-a21a-001a4bcf887a.html

Saggy Aggie
09-13-2012, 09:48 AM
From The Facts...

BESS IN THE WEST
Columbia senior leader on way to another strong season.

By ALEX YBARRA | Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:00 am
WEST COLUMBIA — When Columbia senior Floyd Bess was growing up, the San Diego Chargers’ LaDainian Tomlinson was tearing apart defenses every Sunday in the NFL.
A natural ball carrier himself, Bess was doing the same, albeit on a smaller scale — in Peewee and junior high.
“He may be old, but my favorite player is LT, LaDainian Tomlinson,” Bess said, standing on the sideline during Columbia practice Tuesday. “I like his stiff-arm and jukes. I try to learn from him.”

That’s not a bad person to imitate.

Like Tomlinson did so well in his prime, Bess certainly knows how to find the end zone from anywhere on the field. The speedy running back exploded on the scene as a sophomore in 2010, gaining 1,121 yards and 10 touchdowns. Bess then showed improvement as a junior, turning in 1,245 yards and 13 touchdowns as Columbia reached the 3A state semifinals for the second straight season.

As an outside linebacker, his speed works in Columbia’s favor on the defensive side of the ball, too.

“Floyd has just been steadily getting better each and every year,” Columbia coach Randy Lynch said. “He started his sophomore year, and defensively, he’s played really well. He’s playing good football for us right now on both sides of the ball.”

He already has 293 yards and four touchdowns on 33 carries during a 2-0 start this season.

“I try to learn to run up the field and not side-to-side, because that’s not gonna get me anywhere,” he said. “So I try my best to go up the field.”

And up the field he goes, even on special teams. Bess returned a kickoff 84 yards in the season opener against Brazosport.

“He’s so explosive that any time he touches the ball there’s a chance he can go,” Lynch said.

It’s that explosiveness that gives him such a strong defensive presence. Whether it’s rushing the quarterback or covering a top receiver man-to-man with the skills of a cornerback, his versatility is second to none.

“He’s been a good outside linebacker his whole career,” Columbia defensive coordinator Chris Gerbich said. “He does things that other guys can’t do, especially when we send him on blitzes, he’s so fast that he gets to the quarterback quick.”

Bess has stepped into a different role as a senior, shouldering the responsibility after the graduation of several veterans.

He’s not too vocal, but lately he’s spoken up more, Lynch said, even offering his thoughts on how to improve the offense against Needville.

“I would put myself as a leader on the team,” Bess said. “I pump them up during games. I say chants and everything for us. I consider myself a leader.”

And rightly so, now that Bess has played deep into November two straight seasons.

“There’s no doubt that’s helped him, being on varsity the last couple years and seeing guys that were leaders,” Lynch said.

Bess might be more of a lead-by-example type, not necessarily someone who yells a lot, but he isn’t afraid to say Columbia can make it three straight trips to the state semifinals.

“I always say, three is the lucky number,” Bess said. “This will be our third time. We’re gonna win this time.”

The Roughnecks will need to get past La Marque and rival Sweeny in District 24-3A, but Bess, confident in his team, doesn’t see that as a problem.

“I think we can do great things,” he said. “I think we can go to state. They say La Marque is gonna run through our district, but we’re gonna beat them, too.”

http://thefacts.com/sports/local_sports/article_1ef0f6a6-fd59-11e1-a21a-001a4bcf887a.html

I like that boys confidence

Necks88Fan
09-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Willis Johnson seems to be taking more of the snaps lately in practice. May be taking more of the role behind center. Curious to see how it all shakes out in the next couple games. Pretty solid backfield if Willis is at QB and floyd and darius in the backfield. Boy, there are endless options with all of them on offense at once and, Possum adds another dimension. What a potent combination. The suspense is killing me. Come on Friday!

Saggy Aggie
09-21-2012, 12:27 AM
idc who we start as long as we get it together offensively.

losing to wharton was a slap in the face. smh...

Roughneck93
09-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Willis Johnson seems to be taking more of the snaps lately in practice. May be taking more of the role behind center. Curious to see how it all shakes out in the next couple games. Pretty solid backfield if Willis is at QB and floyd and darius in the backfield. Boy, there are endless options with all of them on offense at once and, Possum adds another dimension. What a potent combination. The suspense is killing me. Come on Friday!

Interesting, can't wait to see how this plays out.

IMO...Possum needs the ball more often.

Roughneck93
10-18-2012, 08:57 AM
From The Facts...

REMARKABLE FEET
Columbia senior becomes 1st girl to play football for Roughnecks.

By ALEX YBARRA | Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:00 am
WEST COLUMBIA — Cassie Dittrich admits she feels more comfortable booting a football than participating in a high-kick routine.
“Sadly, yes,” said Dittrich, who not too long ago started envisioning herself kicking field goals for the Columbia Roughnecks, which is quite a change of pace from cheering from the stands as a member of the Dancin’ Dolls.
“I kept having dreams that I was the kicker, but I would kick in my drill team uniform,” she said. “I was in psychology, and we were talking about dreams, and I asked my teacher about it, and she said something about my subconscious, and I should pursue it.”

Dittrich did exactly that.

With fans on their feet and signs emblazoned with her name, it all came true for Dittrich when she kicked an extra-point to give Columbia a 35-14 lead in the second quarter against Stafford on Friday, making her the first girl to play football in school history.

“It’s something I can tell my grandkids when I get old, ‘You’ll never believe your grandma was the first girl kicker at her high school,’” Dittrich said.

With her blonde hair in a ponytail, draped over a white football jersey and pads, Dittrich on Wednesday drilled a couple extra-points, then a 25-yarder, during practice. She’s second-string behind Jacob Comer, a sophomore brought up from junior varsity several weeks ago. Greg Gomez is another special-teamer, handling mostly kickoffs and longer field goals.

The whole situation is a first for Columbia head coach Randy Lynch.

“Never have (had a girl player), not in over 20 years,” he said. “They always talk about it and everything. She’s very confident in herself, and she has a pretty good leg. She’s got a lot of strength, that’s for sure.”

That’s because Dittrich has played soccer since she was 5 years old, and she’s been a varsity standout at keeper. Several weeks ago, she turned to friends on the drill team and said, “I can do that,” while watching a field goal attempt.

A few days later, Dittrich asked Lynch for a tryout.

“I didn’t know what he was going to say, the fact that I’m a girl,” she said. “He goes, ‘I’m not saying yes or no, but I’ll talk to the other coaches.’”

That afternoon, he pulled her out of drill team practice on Griggs Field for a quick look at what she could do.

“I didn’t even have correct shoes on, and I kicked and I made it,” she said.

The first impression couldn’t have gone any better. So next she made a few with pads on, then she was on the team and learning the right techniques.

“We had to speed up her steps because she was used to taking four or five steps,” Lynch said. “She hits the ball solid. When she hits the ball it sounds the way it’s supposed to sound.”

But there’s a lot more that goes into a girl joining the football team than making sure she can play. The integration with the boys can be a hurdle, too, but Dittrich hasn’t had a problem whatsoever.

“I think they’ve accepted it a little bit,” Lynch said. “She’s kind of got to do her own thing because we don’t have the facilities for her.”

Dittrich changes in the bathroom that belongs to the athletic assistant’s office. It’s decorated like the boys’ locker room, with signs made by drill team members hanging on the walls for inspiration.

After transforming into a football player, Dittrich runs onto the field for special teams plays in the first part of practice, then she’s done. It’s been a transition, left tackle Jake Finley said, but one that hasn’t been difficult.

“It’s been pretty positive, and I guess you could say we’re protective because she’s a girl,” he said. “It’s not very often you see it.”

Of course, the dude talk has to be dialed down, Finley added.

“Out here, guys will be guys, but when she comes out, we kind of keep it down a little,” he said. “She can kick really well. We were really surprised the first time she came out. She booted it.”

Kennadi Hyland, who plays soccer and dances with Dittrich, said she’s the one person in school who can juggle football while continuing to be a Dancin’ Doll.

“I think it’s a big deal and I’m glad it’s her,” Hyland said. “Only she can pull it off and stay cool with the guys and do good and not get nervous. Her attitude and spirit is fun and relaxed.”

Dittrich said she was supposed to be the boy in the family. She grew up on a farm in Damon, and she admits always being somewhat of a tomboy. Toughness and confidence were never a problem for her, said her father, David Dittrich.

“We talked about (her playing football) off and on jokingly over the years, and I remember one time when she was in grade school she told me she could play football,” he said. “I said, ‘Do what now?’

“She’s always been pretty girly,” he added. “But she’s one of the bigger, stronger girls instead of the tiny little girls.”

Cassie told her father about the tryout, and he gave her permission to go ahead.

“He’s been wanting me to do this for a few years now, to kick for the football team,” Cassie said. “Because he knew I could do it. My mom was like, ‘No, you’re not. No, no, no, no. It’s not happening.’”

They broke the news to Cassie’s mom after she made the team. Well, David was left with that difficult task.

“It took about three hits before she realized it,” David said. “Then she commenced to beating on me and punching on me. She was pretty mad for the first hour.”

Cassie said she just wants the team to continue building on its and 5-2 record. In the meantime, she’s going to keep striving to get better, one extra-point at a time.

“They say senior year, make it memorable,” Cassie said. “I’m pretty sure it’s pretty dang memorable.”

http://thefacts.com/sports/article_63f6e05e-18d8-11e2-8d29-001a4bcf887a.html

TXfootballboi!
10-18-2012, 12:36 PM
how is west columbia looking this year? the only thing i know about them is that last year they almost beat chapel hill

Necks88Fan
10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
The talent is there and we've had mostly good moments but we have bobbled here and there. Beginning to stay more consistent and its time for it. R93, thanks for the update and the article

yellaseeker
11-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Well, i guess i will bring her up to the top by asking a question. Haven't seen the Bell kid in on offense very much. I figured he would be touching the ball quiet a bit with his shiftyness and speed and maybe playing some FB too. Seems to be a tough kid and doesn't mind contact. I think I remember him having some kind of injury early on but i've seen him on defense. Anyone know any more or have a opinion?