PDA

View Full Version : District 24-3A

1971Coogs
08-11-2012, 04:58 PM
1 Where did this district come from?

With so many schools moving up and down in classification or joining the UIL ranks this year, there were a lot of changes with the latest realignment. This district draws two teams - West Columbia and Sweeny - from the previously aligned 29-3A to join the only team that stayed in 24-3A, Stafford. Former Class 4A powerhouse La Marque dropped down, and the Sunnyside Senators are in their first season of UIL varsity football.

2 So, La Marque will destroy this grouping, right?

Not so fast. This district is a far cry from the Cougars' 24-4A home of the last two seasons, but it does feature one formidable foe in West Columbia, which went to the 3A Division I state semifinals for the second consecutive season last year. The Roughnecks own back-to-back district titles and haven't lost a district game since Oct. 30, 2009. That being said, the Cougars probably will roll through district.

3 Who, exactly, is Sunnyside?

Sunnyside is a charter school under the KIPP umbrella that serves the Third Ward and surrounding communities. Sunnyside played a JV schedule as an independent against HISD, TAPPS and SPC schools in its second year of football last season.

Players to watch

Demun Mercer, QB, senior, La Marque

The 6-2, 185-pound transfer did a little of everything at Chavez last year, but he was a very successful dual-threat QB as a sophomore under coach Mike Jackson.

Devon Hayward, S, senior, La Marque

Hayward could see time at receiver, too. The first-team all-district safety leads a talented defense with seven returning starters.

Floyd Bess, RB, senior, West Columbia

The 5-9, 165-pound back is the leading returning rusher in this district, with 1,245 yards and 13 touchdowns as the second option last year.

Greg Lemon, DE, senior, Sweeny

Lemon supplied 61 tackles and seven sacks as a junior, helping the Bulldogs reach the 3A Division II regional semifinals.

Easy Anyama, RB/DB, senior, Stafford

The speedy 6-2, 200-pounder, who had 11 TDs last year, fronts the Spartans' attack on both sides of the ball.

Key games

Ball at La Marque

7 p.m., Aug. 30

These old rivals go back to being non-district foes after two years together in District 24-4A. They'll help kick off the season in style on the first Thursday on TV.

Coldspring-Oakhurst at La Marque

7:30 p.m., Sept. 14

The Cougars host seven games, including a matchup with 3A powerhouse Coldspring that provides an early glimpse of how they can expect to fare in the playoffs.

West Columbia at La Marque

7:30 p.m., Nov. 2

This is the only game that matters in this district. It's the season finale for the Roughnecks, who are off in Week 10. The Cougars have a six-game winning streak in the series.

Projected finish

1. La Marque

2. West Columbia

3. Sweeney

4. Stafford

5. Sunnyside

1st and goal
08-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Great post, welcome to the board!

1971Coogs
08-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Great post, welcome to the board!
Thank you sir....I've been broadcasting La Marque games since 1996 and wanted to get familiar with my new surroundings. Sounds likes this board has a lot of fun, I appreciate the welcome.

Oh....I love your words of wisdom below your post. Spot on my fine fellow....spot on! I also am a co-owner of a lumberyard in Texas City, the last 4 years have been the worst I've seen since I started in the lumber industry and that was 1971.

www.coogsports.net

Saggy Aggie
08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm from WC, nice to have you here 71coogs.

Solid first post. 1 thing I'll add, I agree with your ranking of the district, but don't overlook sweeny. They're not as good as they usually are, but still they made it 3 rounds deep last year and lost to the eventual champs Wimberley.

LM SHOULD win district, but Sweeny has some good athletes. It won't be long and they'll be back to form as well, good luck to the coogs, besides that WC game of course. I'd love to see 2 undefeated teams battling for a district championship

1971Coogs
08-14-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm from WC, nice to have you here 71coogs.

Solid first post. 1 thing I'll add, I agree with your ranking of the district, but don't overlook sweeny. They're not as good as they usually are, but still they made it 3 rounds deep last year and lost to the eventual champs Wimberley.

LM SHOULD win district, but Sweeny has some good athletes. It won't be long and they'll be back to form as well, good luck to the coogs, besides that WC game of course. I'd love to see 2 undefeated teams battling for a district championshipthank you. Trust me, La Marque is not overlooking anybody. One week at a time, words of wisdom always have been and always will be.
Come visit us when the season gets rolling :cool:

Necked
08-14-2012, 07:18 PM
West Columbia at La Marque

7:30 p.m., Nov. 2

This is the only game that matters in this district. It's the season finale for the Roughnecks, who are off in Week 10. The Cougars have a six-game winning streak in the series.

This is the part that is incorrect, as this is the one district game that will not matter, as regardless of who wins, it should have no effect at all on the playoff seeding. One of the quirks of being in 3A. It will be an excellent tuneup game before the playoffs start...

1st and goal
08-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Thank you sir....I've been broadcasting La Marque games since 1996 and wanted to get familiar with my new surroundings. Sounds likes this board has a lot of fun, I appreciate the welcome.
www.coogsports.net

It's always good to have knowledgeable people on board...some of us do talk a bit of trash on here and some of us are downright smart but its hard to be both. ( I fall into the former category)

1971Coogs
08-15-2012, 07:08 PM
It's always good to have knowledgeable people on board...some of us do talk a bit of trash on here and some of us are downright smart but its hard to be both. ( I fall into the former category)And some of us are pretty good poker players and chess players ( know how to bluff our way through the fog :speech:) After following La Marque football for more than 45 years.....I tend to fall into that category :smoker: