PDA

View Full Version : Navasota & A&M Consolidated Connection

HEMOTOXIC
08-10-2012, 04:53 PM
http://www.brazossports.com/article/20120803/BS01/120809877/1044/bs

Former A&M Consolidated football player and defensive coordinator Ray Kavanaugh and two other assistant coaches have left the Tigers to join Lee Fedora at Navasota.

Kavanaugh coached at Consol for 13 years, including 11 as defensive coordinator. He was switched to running backs coach last year after David Raffield replaced Jim Slaughter as head coach of the Tigers. Kavanaugh will coach defensive tackles at Navasota, working under one of his former Consol coaches, Rattlers defensive coordinator Bill Hoppers.

“We saw this as one of those ‘wow’ hires,” Fedora said. “We’re real excited about it. Here’s a guy that’s got 11 years of defensive coordinator experience. He played under Bill Hoppers and Ross Rogers, who I played under. He understands our mentality of the game.”

Fedora also hired former Consol assistant Robert Jackson to be Navasota’s head baseball coach and help coach receivers in football. Andrew Daily, a former Consol player and assistant coach, will coach the Rattlers secondary and serve as an assistant in boys basketball.

Kavanaugh and Fedora both interviewed for the Consol head coaching job, which was offered to Fedora before Raffield accepted. Kavanaugh also applied to be the head coach at College Station High School, but CSISD superintendent Eddie Coulson chose former Consol assistant Steve Huff.

“The superintendent is why I left,” Kavanaugh said. “I didn’t get the A&M Consolidated job. I didn’t get the new school job. There was no room to advance at CSISD.”

Asked about a rumor that he was thinking about running for a spot on the College Station school board, Kavanaugh said he has not made a decision.

Kavanaugh said his son Kyle, an offensive lineman who will be a senior this fall, has not decided whether he will remain at Consol or transfer to Navasota. Kyle Kavanaugh started at center for the Tigers late last season and could make a major impact on a Rattlers team loaded with talented backs and receivers, but unproven on the offensive line.

The decision on which school he attends will be Kyle’s, his father stressed.

Regardless of the lineman’s choice, Navasota’s athletic department will have many ties to A&M Consolidated. The varsity football staff includes former Consol players Fedora, Clif Groce, Kavanaugh, Daily and Nick Grimes, who this year was promoted from Navasota Junior High to work with the offensive linemen.

Daniel Trampota, who played for the Tigers, has been hired at Navasota Junior High.

Fedora also hired Nelson Kortis as his receivers coach. Kortis, the former offensive coordinator at Montgomery, played for Fedora at Rogers. The other opening at the junior high was filled by Amaro Villarreal, who coached at Rocksprings.

“One thing I learned from Ross Rogers is the only way you’re going to be successful is to get great coaches around you,” Fedora said. “They know the type of coach I am. I expect a lot of intensity, a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of passion, and that’s what I got hired in here.”

Assistants Danny Barber and Markeith Wesley left Navasota for promotions, with Barber becoming defensive coordinator at Weimar and Wesley taking over as offensive coordinator at Bay City under former Navasota head coach Dan Burk. Navasota assistants Calvin Barber and Charles Wilson retired.

The Rattlers, who will begin preseason workouts Monday, are ranked fifth in Class 3A by Texas Football. Last year Navasota finished 11-2, reaching the 3A Division I quarterfinal round before losing to eventual state champion Tyler Chapel Hill, 56-46.

zebrablue2
08-11-2012, 05:36 AM
After reading this, I really like the rattlers chances in 2012. What a bunch of great hires!!!

HEMOTOXIC
08-11-2012, 07:20 AM
After reading this, I really like the rattlers chances in 2012. What a bunch of great hires!!!

Some great hires indeed. Hopefully we can finally pull everything together.