PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a kid still playing?

Cam
08-09-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm writing this with a bit of stress as I am still a bit rattled cause some woman who was putting makeup on while driving almost ran me off the highway this morning!.......anyway, as I was saying, I was driving in on the tollway completely fixated on the puffy white clouds in the sky....in a matter of minutes I was able to make out cloud shapes of a squirrel, two bunny foo-foos, a longhorn, a monkey kickin' a rhinoceros in the nuts, and Al Cowling driving his white Bronco (couldn't make out O.J.)!.......and I got to thinking, how many folks on the Downlow have kids who are currently playing or have played football.......and how many wish your young ones will be playing someday?.......Does all this concussion talk scare you?

I have: One kid who is 19 now who played linebacker & is now a junior in college. And yes, his brains are still intact.
I have: One 12 year old who will be playing in 7th grade. But I must admit, I'd like to see him stick to baseball & basketball...it will be his choice..

GrTigers6
08-09-2012, 11:17 AM
I have One Girl 22. Who played Volleyball, track, Will graduate from Tarleton witha Bachelors in nursing in December. Then after 2 years will go back for Nurse Anethetist.
One Boy 21 that played football, baseball. About to graduate next Spring from Tarleton with a bachelor in Wildlife management
One Boy 18 played football, baseball, Going to schreiner University to play baseball next Friday

And yes This season will be a big void, Thank God Im officiating or I would be lost LOL

Bosqueville
08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
One 13 year old son playing 8th grade football this year.

One 10 year old that can't wait to play.

Both are at Bosqueville!

BEAST
08-09-2012, 11:30 AM
One 11 year old playing TYFL football, hes in the 6th grade. One 9 year old playing TYFL football, going into the 3rd grade. And, one 6 year old son who still just plays with whatever is handy.

BEAST

toddg
08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
i have 3 boys..the oldest is playing on the Indian freshman teams..not sure which one yet.,my 12 y/o is/will be playing on the Indian 7th grade teams...and the youngest is starting 2nd grade. not too worried about concussions as they are as hard headed as i am..its a concern, but UIL is very proactive and aggressive with their new rules regarding concussions, and im satisfied with that.

Cam
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
One 11 year old playing TYFL football, hes in the 6th grade. One 9 year old playing TYFL football, going into the 3rd grade. And, one 6 year old son who still just plays with whatever is handy.

BEAST

Beast, man, all them boys!.....you reminded me of my neighbor who recently moved in...he's got 4 boys & one girl..all 1 year apart!..This dad don't give his Mrs. no breaks!......Dad is 6'5" & bout 270!...His boys are huge for their age...I told him coaches are gonna love him!...lol.....
Hey, maybe someday we'll get to see our two boys buttin' heads!....unless of course, your kid is a big lineman type!...forget that if that's the case!....mine is lookin' like he's gonna be one of them tall skinny types....a receiver or DB for sure in the making....you need to move to Burnet!...the Jones era is just beginning!!...and BW is goin' down!!......:p:taunt:

Cam
08-09-2012, 11:56 AM
i have 3 boys..the oldest is playing on the Indian freshman teams..not sure which one yet.,my 12 y/o is/will be playing on the Indian 7th grade teams...and the youngest is starting 2nd grade. not too worried about concussions as they are as hard headed as i am..its a concern, but UIL is very proactive and aggressive with their new rules regarding concussions, and im satisfied with that.

I just hope the schools keep offering the best helmets available to all kids...I know our schools have Schutt & Riddell Revo helmets. I think my kid got the latest Schutt model. Not sure what helmet is the best these days.

Rabid Cougar
08-09-2012, 12:11 PM
I have a 21 year old Grad Student who is a starting Defensive Tackle for North Texas and a 16 year old Junior who is a starting Offensive Tackle for China Spring.
No, I don't worry about thier brains, just thier body parts. Three knee and two shoulder surgeries.

toddg
08-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I have a 21 year old Grad Student who is a starting Defensive Tackle for North Texas and a 16 year old Junior who is a starting Offensive Tackle for China Spring.
No, I don't worry about thier brains, just thier body parts. Three knee and two shoulder surgeries.

looking fwd to China Spring's visit....fyi its Alvarado's homecoming so get there early..parking could be tedious.

Cam
08-09-2012, 12:24 PM

then your older boy must know 300+ lb. Cyril Lemon (#62??). Being that my boy played MLB, when Burnet played Marble Falls, he had the pleasure of seeing that monster coming at him just about every running play!!!.....Cyril is a gentle giant and a great kid!....

COBRAFOOTBALL
08-09-2012, 02:11 PM
My son plays Running back for Alvarado's Varsity. He's 17. #8. :cool:

panfan
08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
one boy - just turned 16, sophmore playing defensive end and half back for LH. Track - hurdles and high jump, gave up this last season on pole vault - said the bar was getting too high after he hit about 11+ foot. Used to play baseball and I wish he still did.

Two girls, both play softball, both pitchers. Son's twin sister is soph, 16 will likely move to varisty (big bat) good movement on the pitch, moderate speed. youngest about to turn 12, softball, basketball, and volleyball for now, but hasn't hit Jr. high yet. I'll be bummed when pitching ends for them, as I have really enjoyed watching them develop their skill and confidence.

Ville-D
08-09-2012, 02:49 PM
2 boys: 9 and 6
1 girl: 3

Beast, looks like we'll be getting to see each other for many years to come.

hookandladder
08-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm writing this with a bit of stress as I am still a bit rattled cause some woman who was putting makeup on while driving almost ran me off the highway this morning!.......anyway, as I was saying, I was driving in on the tollway completely fixated on the puffy white clouds in the sky....in a matter of minutes I was able to make out cloud shapes of a squirrel, two bunny foo-foos, a longhorn, a monkey kickin' a rhinoceros in the nuts, and Al Cowling driving his white Bronco (couldn't make out O.J.)!.......and I got to thinking, how many folks on the Downlow have kids who are currently playing or have played football.......and how many wish your young ones will be playing someday?.......Does all this concussion talk scare you?

I have: One kid who is 19 now who played linebacker & is now a junior in college. And yes, his brains are still intact.
I have: One 12 year old who will be playing in 7th grade. But I must admit, I'd like to see him stick to baseball & basketball...it will be his choice..

I have only a son he is a Senior this year, plays QB and baseball. Going to be really hard next year with him gone, Time has gone by to fast.

FB-fanatic
08-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Got a 23 year old son who just double majored at Texas A&M and headed to medical school. Played 4 years of rugby for TAMU. Got a chance to play Notre Dame, LSU, Brigham Young, Utah, USC, Oklahoma among others.

A 16 year old son starting at QB for Lorena, #19.

BEAST
08-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Looks like it. Should be fun.

BEAST

Eagle 1
08-09-2012, 04:15 PM
All three of my sons have graduated from Goldthwaite, the youngest was back in 2006. Two of them were all-state players and the other all-district. Now that they graduated I can go watch the "game" instead of just watching my sons play. I can count all the Goldthwaite games I have missed since 93 on one hand.
I have two nephews playing for Brownwood on the JV and freshman teams, so I will get to see them play.

BEAST
08-09-2012, 04:16 PM
All three of my sons have graduated from Goldthwaite, the youngest was back in 2006. Two of them were all-state players and the other all-district. Now that they graduated I can go watch the "game" instead of just watching my sons play. I can count all the Goldthwaite games I have missed since 93 on one hand.
I have two nephews playing for Brownwood on the JV and freshman teams, so I will get to see them play.

Who are your nephews?

BEAST

Rattler
08-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Sophmore #76 for Graham 6'-3 232lb.

'Necks 2013-14
08-09-2012, 08:35 PM
My 17 year old son will get his second varsity letter this year as a junior at Columbia. He has also been elected as class president for this upcoming year and is in the top five in his class. He has many goals and seems to have a knack for achieving them with ease. Very grounded and well rounded young man with his heart focused on God, family and academics. Has his sights aimed high to become a cadet at the Air Force Academy. In my humble(and biased!) opinion...they will be happy to get him! My 15 year old son will be a sophomore at Brazoswood. He attends that school because he is hearing impaired and that is where the deaf co-op is for our area. He played football through junior high and did well on the D-line, but decided not to play in HS. That's okay, he already had won a football championship in the STYFA superbowl as a member of the Tri City Cougars in 2007 beating Friendswood on their own field! He lost his hearing due to meningitis at 20 months old and we almost lost him altogether, but he fought through it and won that most important battle of all!! With a heart of gold and his genuine smile...he will always be a winner in our eyes. And lastly, but certainly not least, is our little 5 year old monsta! Looked up one day and he is standing on the counter top as he had climbed up the freaking dishwasher.....btw he was just about 1 yr old at the time! He is starting his second year of soccer this year in the West Brazos soccer club and he just loves it. I firmly believe that he will be the most intense athlete of all my boys. Sometimes he just scares me. Really!! Anyway thanks for starting this thread Cam. Y'all have some great Friday nights!!....I know I will!!!

1st and goal
08-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Good thread and Great job dads! (I don't think any moms have posted yet?...pardon me if you have)

I think a big part of many a success story for strong minded kids (growing up) is having a stronger minded dad keeping them on straight and narrow.

defense51
08-09-2012, 10:05 PM
I have a daughter who is a senior, she plays soccer (#72) and runs track. My son is a sophomore, he plays football (#51) and baseball.

'Necks 2013-14
08-09-2012, 10:10 PM
My 17 year old son will get his second varsity letter this year as a junior at Columbia. He has also been elected as class president for this upcoming year and is in the top five in his class. He has many goals and seems to have a knack for achieving them with ease. Very grounded and well rounded young man with his heart focused on God, family and academics. Has his sights aimed high to become a cadet at the Air Force Academy. In my humble(and biased!) opinion...they will be happy to get him! My 15 year old son will be a sophomore at Brazoswood. He attends that school because he is hearing impaired and that is where the deaf co-op is for our area. He played football through junior high and did well on the D-line, but decided not to play in HS. That's okay, he already had won a football championship in the STYFA superbowl as a member of the Tri City Cougars in 2007 beating Friendswood on their own field! He lost his hearing due to meningitis at 20 months old and we almost lost him altogether, but he fought through it and won that most important battle of all!! With a heart of gold and his genuine smile...he will always be a winner in our eyes. And lastly, but certainly not least, is our little 5 year old monsta! Looked up one day and he is standing on the counter top as he had climbed up the freaking dishwasher.....btw he was just about 1 yr old at the time! He is starting his second year of soccer this year in the West Brazos soccer club and he just loves it. I firmly believe that he will be the most intense athlete of all my boys. Sometimes he just scares me. Really!! Anyway thanks for starting this thread Cam. Y'all have some great Friday nights!!....I know I will!!!Duh--our oldest won't be 17 until November! Sorry---senior moment!

toddg
08-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Duh--our oldest won't be 17 until November! Sorry---senior moment!

my nephew is the youth minister at the Assembly of God church down there...he was a Waxahatchie Indian..but i think he bleeds maroon now!

'Necks 2013-14
08-09-2012, 11:02 PM
my nephew is the youth minister at the Assembly of God church down there...he was a Waxahatchie Indian..but i think he bleeds maroon now!Awesome!! As I always say...everyone bleeds maroon......except for maybe those Stephenville folk....may have some Martian green goin' on there!!:p

Ville-D
08-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Awesome!! As I always say...everyone bleeds maroon......except for maybe those Stephenville folk....may have some Martian green goin' on there!!:p

Yep. Some do.

Necks4Life
08-10-2012, 08:27 AM
I have a 16 yr old soph playing varisity at Columbia this year...and I also have a 9 yr old son playing with the Lil Necks! And a 8 yr old daughter who plays softball...we definetly bleed maroon! So ready for my Friday night lights...oh yeah and I am a PROUD MOM INDEED!

Rabid Cougar
08-10-2012, 09:28 AM
looking fwd to China Spring's visit....fyi its Alvarado's homecoming so get there early..parking could be tedious.

Thanks for the heads up.

defense51
08-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Awesome!! As I always say...everyone bleeds maroon......except for maybe those Stephenville folk....may have some Martian green goin' on there!!:p

You never know what color you'll get when you smash one of those yellowjackets. :devil:

Rabid Cougar
08-10-2012, 09:36 AM
then your older boy must know 300+ lb. Cyril Lemon (#62??). Being that my boy played MLB, when Burnet played Marble Falls, he had the pleasure of seeing that monster coming at him just about every running play!!!.....Cyril is a gentle giant and a great kid!....

Yes he does and yes he is. Ryan has nothing but good things to say about him. They are pretty much mortal enemies on the practice field though.

gatordaze
08-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Sports are alive and well in my swamp! My daughter is a sophomore outside hitter for the Polk State Eagles in Winterhaven Florida, My twin boys #55 and #27 are seniors in Celina. This is my last 2-a days that I can roam the sidelines and if Direct TV does not get the Longhorn Network soon I just might have to move to Austin. I cannot believe that my days as a sports parent are so few.

Cam
08-10-2012, 04:05 PM

That's alot of vespula !!....

lv2937
08-10-2012, 05:18 PM
1 daughter class of 92 she played vb bb and track. didnt have softball back then. 1 grandson class of 2010. played fb and bb untill his jr year. coach kiser told him he would never amount to nothing in sports so he quit all sports. he,s playing simi pro basketball now. guess Kiser didnt know what he was talking about. 1 granddaughter class of 2012 played sb vb and cross country. attending courpus christi a &m now. 1 grandson 8th grade. plays fb bb and track.

bobcat1
08-10-2012, 05:26 PM
No Dangit

ccmom
08-10-2012, 06:58 PM
You will all know when my boys are old enough to play school football because I'm sure I will be totally unbearable. For now, we are busy with baseball, basketball, golf and whatever else. Being a mom to boys is awesome!!!

LH Panther Mom
08-10-2012, 06:59 PM
:wave: :wave:

We (collectively) had 4 sons.

Oldest, 28, basketball (some) and track
Next, 27, football, basketball (JH), track
Next, 21, "the beast", football (3-year OL starter), basketball (JH), powerlifting, track, now Senior (academically) & Junior (eligibility) FB at UIW
Last :weeping: , 18, football, basketball (JH), powerlifting (freshman), track

16 year old will be junior playing receiver/DB for Ville. Missed last season for basketball and is playing on JV Blue.
Has been a part of several great basketball teams in his school. Freshman year lead his team with 14 PPG. (lost 2 i think)
Sophmore year JV team was 30-1 and lead team with 16PPG. Have won district evey year from 7th till now.
Won 2 National Champinships in GASO (beat Chauncy Billups team from Colorado at Wichita State in Kansas) and Primetime Sports National Championship in Basketball as Freshman with Deron Williams Metro Elite out of Dallas.
Good kid with a good attitude.
Look for Ville to make some noise in the playoffs in basketball this year.

Also have a 7th grader who plays in stephenville. Football,Basketball but shines in track.

bigwood33
08-10-2012, 08:17 PM
23 yr old son- football (4), basketball (4), baseball (4), track (2), band (2)
20 yr old daughter- basketball (3), volleyball (3), cheerleading (4), tennis (2), powerlifting (2) band (1)
18 yr old son- football (4), basketball (4), baseball (4), track (4), golf (2)

We believed they should stay involved and active (as you can see). As for concussions, no real concern. I worried about them driving MUCH more than concussions. Many more kids are seriously injured and or killed driving than all extra curricular combined. Add cell phones to the mix and THAT is scary! My advice to anyone who would not allow their son to play football would be for them to also refuse to get them a drivers license and a cell phone.

trojan37
08-10-2012, 09:36 PM
My stepson stepped on the field as a freshman yesterday for Howard Payne shooting for a defensive end spot. I guess Brownwood will be my new second home.

millcreek
08-10-2012, 11:25 PM
15 year old incoming sophomore played football baseball basketball and ran hurdles as a freshman. He will probably leave out one of those this year.

His older brother plays college football. Tightend/receiver.

I'm soooo ready for football!!!

bigwood33
08-11-2012, 06:13 AM
My stepson stepped on the field as a freshman yesterday for Howard Payne shooting for a defensive end spot. I guess Brownwood will be my new second home.

Congrats and good luck to him. I was just in Brownwood Thursday and Friday moving my daughter into an on- campus apartment. She is a Jr at HP and a cheerleader. I look forward to meeting you at a game this year!

Blue42
08-11-2012, 10:45 AM
My oldest is a SR this year playing WR - CB and happy we have a great QB and Head Coach this year.
My youngest will be starting 7th grade playing football.
I have a lot of football to watch this year praying for a safe and productive season for my boys and all who put the pads on this year.