PDA

View Full Version : Refugio

Bullaholic
08-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Somebody tell me about Refugio this season. Does the legend continue, or is the run over? Think some teams with memories will try to beat them 80-0, if given the chance?

Old Tiger
08-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Somebody tell me about Refugio this season. Does the legend continue, or is the run over? Think some teams with memories will try to beat them 80-0, if given the chance?
I do believe they lost quite a bit of talent from last years team but they return some key parts.

Gsquared
08-09-2012, 10:36 AM

They are still going to be super salty! A legit # 1 pre season team IMO

Yoe_09
08-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I think they'll make it back to state this year. The key game in the playoffs will be when they play Lexington in the 3rd round. Teams like East Bernard, Elysian Fields, and Arp could step up, but I still see Refugio moving on.

toddg
08-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Cisco will be back to rain on their back-to-back attempt.

Old Green
08-09-2012, 10:45 AM
They are going to be tough. Almost entire offense back. Lost a couple good lineman, but those holes will be filled.

Matthew328
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM
They'll be salty once again...they'll run up big numbers again

Old Tiger
08-09-2012, 10:59 AM
They'll be salty once again...they'll run up big numbers again

What 5a schools do you think will be scared to play them? :stirpot:

Matthew328
08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
5A schools who would lose to them...lol which would be a few

MUSTANG69
08-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Ingleside is going to find out how good Refugio is Week 0. It seems that everytime that we play them we end up with a bunch of injuries.

MustangFootball
08-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Ingleside is going to find out how good Refugio is Week 0. It seems that everytime that we play them we end up with a bunch of injuries.

Yeah it stinks we lost so much, I wish we played them last year....I think it's gonna be a shoot out with 2 of the coastal bends best offenses, both QBs threw for over 3000 yards and close to 100 td's. It should be real fun, can't wait!!!

99IHSMustang
08-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Yeah it stinks we lost so much, I wish we played them last year....I think it's gonna be a shoot out with 2 of the coastal bends best offenses, both QBs threw for over 3000 yards and close to 100 td's. It should be real fun, can't wait!!!

I think Refugio will be Refugio. They seem to reload just about every year. It would be nice to see a good game that is not one sided either way.

1st and goal
08-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Funny but when the price of oil is high and all the frac-drilling going on, Refugio has seemed to always contend when there is a robust oil field economy. They tend to get a lot of rowdy move ins.

Eagle1
08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I always said if you put them in central, north or east Texas they would not be as dominate. Yes they are good and would win alot of games anywhere, but not like they do where they are. They have east and central Texas athletes playing in south Texas. Take Daingerfield, Tatum, Arp, Cameron, Lexington, Pewitt or others like that and stick them where Refugio is and see what they would do.

cowboyandchrist
08-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Melissa, Hemstead, Tatum, the Yo, Daingerfield, the list goes on would have spanked them last year, heck 1A Tennaha would have beat them last year. They never had a game until they reached the state championship. I would love for Tatum to play them in a non district game. Andy Evans would never hang 80 on a team, but it would be nice for some team to return the favor.

Z-RO
08-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I hate reading "this team would have beat them, and that team would beat them", they were undefeated State Champions! If somebody would have/could have beat them they would have done it when they got a chance to meet up with them at Cowboys stadium. Only one team made it that far, and they got beat too. It was the State Championship for crying out loud, what did you expect a blowout? Did they win? Ok then.....sheesh.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gWQaU40PH24/TSOSVuF5fvI/AAAAAAAAKBo/FzxUm6ozKNo/s1600/facepalm111.jpg

Matthew328
08-10-2012, 06:01 PM
I think Refugio vs. Melissa woulda been a hell of a game

SintonFan_inAustin
08-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Melissa, Hemstead, Tatum, the Yo, Daingerfield, the list goes on would have spanked them last year, heck 1A Tennaha would have beat them last year. They never had a game until they reached the state championship. I would love for Tatum to play them in a non district game. Andy Evans would never hang 80 on a team, but it would be nice for some team to return the favor.which one of those made it to the state championship game?

trojan37
08-10-2012, 09:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhq0MSDoMQ&feature=related

Yoe_09
08-10-2012, 09:46 PM
I'd personally like to see Refugio play one of the top tier programs in DI(Dfield, Yoe, Tatum, Newton). I figured Refugio would roll through their district and get to the semis quite easily. I was kind of surprised they put up 60 on Lexington, but we will find out more about Lexington pretty quick in 2012, because they probably have the toughest non-district in the state(Crockett, Cameron Yoe, Franklin, Navasota).

cowboyandchrist
08-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I think Refugio vs. Melissa woulda been a hell of a game
I watched both and Melissa would of ran away with the game. Just my opinion.

Z-RO
08-10-2012, 10:54 PM

The team that let Gunter beat them? :rolleyes: ....but its your OPINION. :)

Matthew328
08-11-2012, 07:42 AM

I watched both also and disagree...lol

Matthew328
08-11-2012, 07:51 AM
and there's no question Refugio will adopt the same philosophy this year

MGAR
08-11-2012, 08:17 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a Jeff Traylor coached team against Refugio.

Two coaches that will put up +70 in a heartbeat.

MGAR
08-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Melissa, Hemstead, Tatum, the Yo, Daingerfield, the list goes on would have spanked them last year, heck 1A Tennaha would have beat them last year. They never had a game until they reached the state championship. I would love for Tatum to play them in a non district game. Andy Evans would never hang 80 on a team, but it would be nice for some team to return the favor.

Come on.. Let's keep it real here...

Tatum lost to Harmony but they will beat Refugio? With the same pass defense that was on the field against Hempstead?

Tenaha? Depth would of been their downfall against Refugio.

cowboyandchrist
08-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Come on.. Let's keep it real here...

Tatum lost to Harmony but they will beat Refugio? With the same pass defense that was on the field against Hempstead?

Tenaha? Depth would of been their downfall against Refugio.
Who was missing from Tatum in that game against a team that went three rounds deep. Does Overstreet ring a bell. The back up QB new he was going to play 30 minutes before the game and he took 0 snaps in a game all year. Threw 2 interceptions that turned into points. So ya Tatum would have hung 50 on Refugio. So would the other teams mentioned above.

cowboyandchrist
08-11-2012, 09:10 AM
The team that let Gunter beat them? :rolleyes: ....but its your OPINION. :)

Remind me again who Refugio played that was so good, oh yea it was Cisco last game of the year and they almost got beat.

MGAR
08-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Who was missing from Tatum in that game against a team that went three rounds deep. Does Overstreet ring a bell. The back up QB new he was going to play 30 minutes before the game and he took 0 snaps in a game all year. Threw 2 interceptions that turned into points. So ya Tatum would have hung 50 on Refugio. So would the other teams mentioned above.

Tatum only hung 42 on SABINE but they would of hung 50 on Refugio?

I take it you really don't know much about football...

cowboyandchrist
08-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Tatum only hung 42 on SABINE but they would of hung 50 on Refugio?

I take it you really don't know much about football...

It must be you that does not know squat about football in Tatum or East, Texas, Coach Evans pulled the starters at 42 to 0 and it was at the half. You always chime in on East Texas football Teams, but yet you no nothing about it.

cowboyandchrist
08-11-2012, 09:41 AM
I must applogize for my comments, I get angry everytime I think about a program that will hang 80 and 90 points on teams that are playing as hard as they can against a far suoerior team and that team will not call off the dogs. I would like to see Refugio play teams from East Texas just to make the playing field even.

Blue42
08-11-2012, 10:29 AM
The competition that Refugio plays in district is not their choice and the starters have to know how to play 4 quarters so they will be ready when the team they face is as good as they are, and how do you tell a 3rd string RB to not score or how would the other team feel if you kneeled the ball every play after half time. Refugio will be great this year as they were last year I would not be surprised to see them win it all again and yes the games would be closer if they had some stiffer competition but the pickings are slim in that area.

MGAR
08-11-2012, 11:27 AM
It must be you that does not know squat about football in Tatum or East, Texas, Coach Evans pulled the starters at 42 to 0 and it was at the half. You always chime in on East Texas football Teams, but yet you no nothing about it.

You sure about that?

Back to Overstreet missing the Harmony game.

I know Brooks worked with the #1s all week prior to that game because Overstreet was getting treatment.

Yea, he might not of known he was going to start 30 minutes before the game started but he was prepared to play.

Anything else you want to know about a team you think you know?

MGAR
08-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I must applogize for my comments, I get angry everytime I think about a program that will hang 80 and 90 points on teams that are playing as hard as they can against a far suoerior team and that team will not call off the dogs. I would like to see Refugio play teams from East Texas just to make the playing field even.

I'm sure East Texas teams would love to play Refugio if they can ever make it that far in the playoffs.

BwdLion73
08-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm sure East Texas teams would love to play Refugio if they can ever make it that far in the playoffs.

Bazinga!:1popcorn:

Ernest T Bass
08-11-2012, 02:32 PM
FYI, to answer the original question:
Refugio's PROGRAM didn't lose a game last year. Every team from 7th grade to varsity went undefeated, so I would expect them to be pretty good next year.

Z-RO
08-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Remind me again who Refugio played that was so good, oh yea it was Cisco last game of the year and they almost got beat.

1: They didn't get beat

2: So you think a team Cisco beat could beat Refugio even though Refugio beat Cisco?

3: If any of these teams that you have mentioned could have beat Refugio they would have beat Cisco to prove that they could beat Refugio....they didn't and Refugio won state.

The End

MGAR
08-11-2012, 09:18 PM
1: They didn't get beat

2: So you think a team Cisco beat could beat Refugio even though Refugio beat Cisco?

3: If any of these teams that you have mentioned could have beat Refugio they would have beat Cisco to prove that they could beat Refugio....they didn't and Refugio won state.

The End

Kinda hard for the teams he mentioned to beat Refugio or Cisco being they are in different divisions and classifications.

Z-RO
08-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Kinda hard for the teams he mentioned to beat Refugio or Cisco being they are in different divisions and classifications.

Nonetheless, they controlled what they could...the end.

FrmSTx
08-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Funny but when the price of oil is high and all the frac-drilling going on, Refugio has seemed to always contend when there is a robust oil field economy. They tend to get a lot of rowdy move ins.
no doubt! they have always had the best "town-run" recruiting system in Texas. There is always a great player (or two, or three) that will just move in. Its awesome, the coaches don't even have to get their hands dirty, i.e. Morton Ranch. The kids show-up, mom moves back in with grandma, and just like that the kid's eligible. Oh, and Mom and grandma usually have a decent new job as well. The crazy thing, I'm surprised the one in G-P hasn't moved back, but the year is still young.

Hannibal
08-15-2012, 01:10 PM
First scrimmage hasn't even been played yet and people are already talking trash.

cowboyandchrist
08-15-2012, 03:37 PM

I may be wrong, but I think Daingerfield (08,09, and 10 and Tatum 05,06, and 07) did make it that far, but hey I could be wrong. You need to re-read my comment. I said I would love for Refugio to have to play some of the teams from East Texas.

MGAR
08-15-2012, 03:42 PM
I may be wrong, but I think Daingerfield (08,09, and 10 and Tatum 05,06, and 07) did make it that far, but hey I could be wrong. You need to re-read my comment. I said I would love for Refugio to have to play some of the teams from East Texas.
Ok, I'll re-read your comment.

Ok, I re-read your comment.

FrmSTx
08-15-2012, 07:43 PM
they did play daingerfield in '09, it was the closest game that daingerfield had in the playoffs, a butt kicking, but still the closest

Matthew328
08-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Refugio will drop a class next realignment most likely so its a moot point as far as playing the 2A East TX big dogs

hooverhog
08-18-2012, 09:22 AM
no doubt! they have always had the best "town-run" recruiting system in Texas. There is always a great player (or two, or three) that will just move in. Its awesome, the coaches don't even have to get their hands dirty, i.e. Morton Ranch. The kids show-up, mom moves back in with grandma, and just like that the kid's eligible. Oh, and Mom and grandma usually have a decent new job as well. The crazy thing, I'm surprised the one in G-P hasn't moved back, but the year is still young.

Mom and Grandma have a decent new job as well??? What kind of job? Working at a fast food joint, or Stripes? How bout backing up your claim with some facts? I know Hawthorne moved in last year and his parents got jobs at the school, but let us in on the MANY others that you are talking about...

FrmSTx
08-18-2012, 11:51 AM
You serious? Are you from Refugio county? Do you really know the happenings? I'm not talking about Hawthorne, his dad is coach, he is not the most talented move-in that they have had the last 30 years. Don't get me wrong, he is good. But he is not better than some of the others that have come in. there are some boosters, let's call them "key figures", in Refugio that love Bobcat football. Heck, I have grown to love Bobcat football. They make sure kids who need to be in Refugio, are in Refugio.

And, no, I am not going to drop their names on here, they are good people, and they LOVE to win. And if I had their $$$$$$$$, I would be doing the same thing!

I'm talking about the kids that show-up out of nowhere: move from sinton (the qb 2 years ago), or woodsboro (there is a reason this place struggles at football, all their good players are in refugio) or aransas pass or victoria or corpus or houston or san antonio, or hubbard (big time stud!).

And, if you really know about Refugio, I shouldn't have to give any names. Also, if you really, really KNOW about Refugio, you know how the whole town bleeds Orange and Black. How prideful they are in their school, and how many try to find a way to get their kids back their to finish out high School and wear the Orange and Black. In fact, I beg my wife about once a month to let us move back down there, I would love for my kids to be Bobcats.

The same thing happen at Permian, Cuero, Katy High, Sealy, Sinton, Celina and countless other places across the state. I personally believe, especially in times like now when oil is hot, that Refugio has the best "town-run" recruiting system in in Texas.

Just trust me on this, please. Its a good thing, I love it when anybody moves back to south texas, we have been a downtrodden place for some time now. Winning state was great! I wish I could have been there!

FrmSTx
08-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Oh, they did have one slip late last school year, one of their better JH athletes moved to cuero. his dad thought that he had a better shot at getting a serious look from a big college by going there.

hooverhog
08-18-2012, 06:24 PM
Ok, I misread your post... I thought you were another Refugio basher. My bad. I know that players move in all the time and not just to play sports, believe it or not. I moved my 4 boys to a small school to get out of the big city and it wasn't for sports, even though one was a pretty dang good athlete in high school. I know how it looks to people outside of Refugio to see good athletes playing for Refugio, but I do KNOW Refugio and I know that they are not recruiting anybody to come play for them. Like you said, they haven't had to, people are going to move in. They've hired coaches with sons that were pretty good athletes, but those coaches were pretty dang good coaches too. ie: Gray, Harris, McKinney, just to name a few. By the way, I've been around Refugio for 40+ years and went to school with a bunch of those players parents. If I didn't live so far away, I would move back so my last son could play there.

OK, I feel better....off my soapbox.

Eagle 1
08-19-2012, 11:03 AM
The 2A board sounds like a bunch of 1st graders.
Teacher...Teacher....they are talking about me. lol

http://www.texas2afootball.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4165