PDA

View Full Version : Double Amputee running in the Olympics

Eagle1
08-04-2012, 11:02 AM
If you didn't get a chance to see the double amputee running the 400 in the olympics you gotta see it. It was an awesome olympic moment. The guy made it to the next round in the 400 and ran a 45 something. It is great to see people who don't let their circumstances stop them from accomplishing their dreams.

Additup
08-04-2012, 05:19 PM
45.44 Great accomplishment for him and everyone involved in helping him.

Tin Cup
08-04-2012, 10:44 PM
It is truly incredible to watch but I'm just wondering if it's possible that this gives him a competitive advantage. I think I heard them say he puts out the same amount of energy/effort in a race. He has no risk of a meet-ending leg injury like a pulled hamstring or cramps or whatever else. This guy has overcome much adversity in life but it just makes me wonder.

Hope this doesn't get people all stirred up.

Emerson1
08-04-2012, 11:38 PM
It is truly incredible to watch but I'm just wondering if it's possible that this gives him a competitive advantage. I think I heard them say he puts out the same amount of energy/effort in a race. He has no risk of a meet-ending leg injury like a pulled hamstring or cramps or whatever else. This guy has overcome much adversity in life but it just makes me wonder.

Hope this doesn't get people all stirred up.
I wasn't blown away by the feat itself either. He has mechanically engineered legs. It's awesome and all he didn't just give up on life and all that.

I'm not sure I would buy he can't pull a hamstring or get cramps. He still has the top half of his leg right, and I'm pretty sure losing the bottom part wouldn't prevent you from getting cramps in the top. I don't know how amputations work though aside from the fact your get something cut off.

bobcat1
08-05-2012, 06:42 AM
I watched it and was very proud for him. He still had to train as hard if not harder and he didn't let his limitations stop him. I don't care if he had a competitive advantage or not. I wouldn't trade places with him.

Matthew328
08-05-2012, 08:09 AM
I think his story is great from a human perspective, but I dont think he should be competing....he needs to be in the paralympics....

bigwood33
08-05-2012, 01:23 PM
I think his story is great from a human perspective, but I dont think he should be competing....he needs to be in the paralympics....
Agreed.

defense51
08-05-2012, 03:52 PM

I think the paralympics are there for the ones who can't compete on the regular olympics level, obviously he can compete. So why not let him?

Emerson1
08-05-2012, 04:08 PM
I think the paralympics are there for the ones who can't compete on the regular olympics level, obviously he can compete. So why not let him?
Because he is using mechanically engineered legs.

defense51
08-05-2012, 06:51 PM
He's still at a disadvantage, because he's using mechanically engineered legs. What about someone who wears glasses, contacts, or had lasik surgery to improve their eyesight, should they be in the paralympics? They have mechanically improved eyesight...

vtskneb
08-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Because he is using mechanically engineered legs.

Well if you feel he is at a competitive advantage lets ask the guys he is competing against if they would switch places with him. That ought to answer the unfair competitive advantage question, no?

bigwood33
08-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Well if you feel he is at a competitive advantage lets ask the guys he is competing against if they would switch places with him. That ought to answer the unfair competitive advantage question, no?
That's not a relevant question. Of course no one would want to amputate their lower legs voluntarily. The real questions that I can think of are:
1- How does not carrying the extra weight of lower legs affect his thighs and hips and their fatigue factor?
2- How does not having to pump blood to anything below your knees affect your body's ability to re- oxygenate one's blood stream?
3- Are the carbon fiber blades more resilient than feet and calves? We know one thing for sure, they don't get tired.

Tin Cup
08-05-2012, 09:45 PM
It's not about trading him places or if the athletes even care. The fact of the matter is that these 2 devices by themselves allow him to compete. That in itself says they gave him the advantage needed to even be able to compete. I'd never ever want to trade him places but this doesn't seem fair. The human in me says it's a great story but that doesn't change the facts.

Blastoderm55
08-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Well, he's the only runner who has to worry about his leg falling off. I'd say that would be a bigger disadvantage than a tight hammy.

defense51
08-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Well apparently it didn't give too much of an advantage, he didn't qualify for the finals.

vtskneb
08-06-2012, 12:24 AM
That's not a relevant question. Of course no one would want to amputate their lower legs voluntarily. The real questions that I can think of are:
1- How does not carrying the extra weight of lower legs affect his thighs and hips and their fatigue factor?
2- How does not having to pump blood to anything below your knees affect your body's ability to re- oxygenate one's blood stream?
3- Are the carbon fiber blades more resilient than feet and calves? We know one thing for sure, they don't get tired.

What criteria are you using to determine what is and what is not relevant to this question? I understand the connection you are trying to make in your stance but it is not like people are lining up to have their legs taken off to compete more effectively in track. In your arguement this would be the same as PEDs but you can hide that better than flippers. I thought it was pretty obvious that he only had a disadvantage. I guess I was in the minority in that thought.

Saggy Aggie
08-06-2012, 12:24 AM
dead last in the qualifying round. lol.

all this debate didnt even matter

Tejastrue
08-06-2012, 12:57 AM
There was absolutely nothing that gave him an advantage. It gave him the capability to perform somewhat similar to the "norm". The guy still had to train and endure the pain.

defense51
08-06-2012, 11:21 AM
dead last in the qualifying round. lol.

all this debate didnt even matter Dead last at 46.54 is still impressive!

regaleagle
08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
What did our State Champ in 3a run this past season, or what is the fastest time in the record books for 3a in the 400? Use that as a comparison. Obviously, he could and would have whupped our best entry, and probably the best in the Big 12. Kudos to him.

Roughneck93
08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
If you didn't get a chance to see the double amputee running the 400 in the olympics you gotta see it. It was an awesome olympic moment. The guy made it to the next round in the 400 and ran a 45 something. It is great to see people who don't let their circumstances stop them from accomplishing their dreams.

Awesome! :2thumbsup