PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys Defense

Old Bearcat
08-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Dallas Cowboys defensive secondary: I know they drafted a bunch of def. backs in order to try to make the defense better....hope so because last year's bunch was way below the norm....could be the coaching?

And I am not going to start ragging on their red-headed, freckled - face head coach. OR their long - haired defensive co-ordinator ..we'll hold judgement on this for now.

ogg
08-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Dallas Cowboys defensive secondary: I know they drafted a bunch of def. backs in order to try to make the defense better....hope so because last year's bunch was way below the norm....could be the coaching?

And I am not going to start ragging on their red-headed, freckled - face head coach. OR their long - haired defensive co-ordinator ..we'll hold judgement on this for now.

I think Rob Ryan's a pretty good coach, along with Morris Claiborne we may see a much improved team.

Old Tiger
08-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Cowboys haven't had a pass defense since the 90s

Bullaholic
08-03-2012, 02:24 PM

I think the Cowboys have got some DB's that can play----now Ryan has to make them function as a unit and understand his defense. They should be able to be more aggressive and execute more blitz packages now. We shall see, OBC...

Gone Fishing
08-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I think Ryan is a good Defensive coach too. It's just that you can not win in the NFL with out a QB.

coach
08-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I think Ryan is a good Defensive coach too. It's just that you can not win in the NFL with out a QB.

Seriously?

Emerson1
08-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Giants 2012. Steelers 2009. Giants 2008. Steelers 2006.

Just stop now.

FriskyBadger
08-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Just stop now.

This is true ^^^^

bolshavik
08-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Romo is not the problem in Dallas...

95mustang
08-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Since when does a QB play on defense?

Gone Fishing
08-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Im just saying...

Farmersfan
08-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Cowboys haven't had a pass defense since the 90s

In the past decade the Dallas Cowboy defense has a average NFL ranking of #12 while the Dallas Cowboy offense has a average NFL ranking of #11. Some really good years and some really bad years for both groups mixed into these. Again, I have to say it appears that some of you expect the defense to be the 85' Bears defense every season. That's never gonna happen again in the NFL. The problem with this team has been it rarely puts together a season where "BOTH" sides of the ball are highly ranked.

Just stop now.

2012= Eli Manning playoff rating of 103 after the team lucked into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth. And Eli was the #4 rated QB in the NFL for the regular season.
2009= Big Ben was the #2 rated QB in the playoffs after having the #14 rating for the regular season.
2008=The Giants won the Superbowl even though Eli had a regular season rating that was #25 in the NFL. But he improved his QB play significantly in the playoffs and was rated #4 out of 12 playoff QBs. And if you remember this was the year the Cowboys killed the Giants in the regular season and then handed them the Divisional title. The Cowboys dominated the Giants in every aspect of the game except could not score as time was running out when they were in the Giants redzone and Romo throws INTERCEPTION in the endzone.....
2006= Big Ben was the #3 rated QB in the NFL for the regular season......

So although it has happened that a team went deep into the playoffs without a great QB it isn't the norm. In almost every situation where a team surprises people and wins it all when they aren't expected to it is almost always the QB that steps up and plays lights out. The QB is the most important player on the field and the offense is the engine that makes a team go. The highest scoring defense in the history of the game would get outscored by a lot by the lowest scoring offense in history!!!!! That is a fact.

regaleagle
08-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Those are some interesting tidbits there, FF. We all enjoy reading the stats you pull out to support your notions about the qb position of the Cowboys. However, different strokes for different folks...which means teams with a different chemistry may not follow those stats you mentioned. Just like a different chemistry on defense this season for the Cowboys may bode differently for Romo and the offense.

Macarthur
08-06-2012, 10:02 AM
I think the biggest thing with the Cowboys defense recently has been their inability to get stops late in games. As farmer pointed out, when you look at their overall stats, they are okay. But there were numerous games last year when the team had the lead late and the defense could not come up with a stop. In some instances, they allowed multiple drives in the 4th quarter. To be a playoff caliber defense, you simply can not give up points on multiple possessions late in games. And it's not just about sacks. They were 6th in the league at getting to the passer. Their issue, which has been the same for a while, is that just don't cover well.

They should be better this year.

Txbroadcaster
08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I think the biggest thing with the Cowboys defense recently has been their inability to get stops late in games. As farmer pointed out, when you look at their overall stats, they are okay. But there were numerous games last year when the team had the lead late and the defense could not come up with a stop. In some instances, they allowed multiple drives in the 4th quarter. To be a playoff caliber defense, you simply can not give up points on multiple possessions late in games. And it's not just about sacks. They were 6th in the league at getting to the passer. Their issue, which has been the same for a while, is that just don't cover well.

They should be better this year.

Dallas Pass Rush last few years has been feast or famine...They either get a sack or nothing, they have not been real good at truly making the QB feel like he has to get rid of the ball asap.

in 1992 Charles Haley had all of 6 sacks...but he lived in the backfield seemingly hitting the QB on every other drop back and that is what Dallas needs the pass rush to do.

Macarthur
08-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Dallas Pass Rush last few years has been feast or famine...They either get a sack or nothing, they have not been real good at truly making the QB feel like he has to get rid of the ball asap.

in 1992 Charles Haley had all of 6 sacks...but he lived in the backfield seemingly hitting the QB on every other drop back and that is what Dallas needs the pass rush to do.

I agree that it's been inconsistent. I just think an improvment in coverage will help give them that extra half a second to maybe get home. I know everyone has been harping on the Giants and how pass rush solves all ills. I agree pass rush is hugely important, but you've also got to have a DB in the same zip code to at least make that QB hesitate for a brief moment.

Gone Fishing
08-06-2012, 07:03 PM
In the past decade the Dallas Cowboy defense has a average NFL ranking of #12 while the Dallas Cowboy offense has a average NFL ranking of #11. Some really good years and some really bad years for both groups mixed into these. Again, I have to say it appears that some of you expect the defense to be the 85' Bears defense every season. That's never gonna happen again in the NFL. The problem with this team has been it rarely puts together a season where "BOTH" sides of the ball are highly ranked.

2012= Eli Manning playoff rating of 103 after the team lucked into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth. And Eli was the #4 rated QB in the NFL for the regular season.
2009= Big Ben was the #2 rated QB in the playoffs after having the #14 rating for the regular season.
2008=The Giants won the Superbowl even though Eli had a regular season rating that was #25 in the NFL. But he improved his QB play significantly in the playoffs and was rated #4 out of 12 playoff QBs. And if you remember this was the year the Cowboys killed the Giants in the regular season and then handed them the Divisional title. The Cowboys dominated the Giants in every aspect of the game except could not score as time was running out when they were in the Giants redzone and Romo throws INTERCEPTION in the endzone.....
2006= Big Ben was the #3 rated QB in the NFL for the regular season......

So although it has happened that a team went deep into the playoffs without a great QB it isn't the norm. In almost every situation where a team surprises people and wins it all when they aren't expected to it is almost always the QB that steps up and plays lights out. The QB is the most important player on the field and the offense is the engine that makes a team go. The highest scoring defense in the history of the game would get outscored by a lot by the lowest scoring offense in history!!!!! That is a fact.

Well put FF

Emerson1
08-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Not really since some of those ratings are completely wrong.

Cam
08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Over a year ago I believe I said the Church kid might turn into something.....well, he's been working with the starting unit at safety. Coaches are very pleased with his progress....Plus, Brodney Pool has been cut....Church will start!

Emerson1
08-07-2012, 02:31 PM
The safeties are just the 2nd worst group behind interior o-line.

Macarthur
08-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Over a year ago I believe I said the Church kid might turn into something.....well, he's been working with the starting unit at safety. Coaches are very pleased with his progress....Plus, Brodney Pool has been cut....Church will start!

I'm hopeful, but skeptical. Let's not fall into the trap that Poole was cut because Church has been so awesome. I think Poole was cut because he was out of shape and sucks. Maybe the cut of Poole has nothing to do with Church.

Farmersfan
08-08-2012, 10:09 AM

Perhaps it would be better to compare the 11' Dallas pass rush to other pass rush defenses in 11' rather than to a player who played 15 years ago in a completely different defense and different era with different rules. The 2011 Dallas defense was ranked #7 in the NFL in sacks and was average in points allowed. Of course if they had a Hall of Famer like Charles Haley rushing the QB from the D-end spot they would be better. Oh wait, They do......................... Perhaps you are saying they need D. Ware AND Charles Haley?????

Cam
08-08-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm hopeful, but skeptical. Let's not fall into the trap that Poole was cut because Church has been so awesome. I think Poole was cut because he was out of shape and sucks. Maybe the cut of Poole has nothing to do with Church.

I'm hopeful too...nevertheless, it looks like a young buck will start at safety...maybe Church, Matt Johnson?....the way I look at it, can't get no worse than last season.....

Txbroadcaster
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Perhaps it would be better to compare the 11' Dallas pass rush to other pass rush defenses in 11' rather than to a player who played 15 years ago in a completely different defense and different era with different rules. The 2011 Dallas defense was ranked #7 in the NFL in sacks and was average in points allowed. Of course if they had a Hall of Famer like Charles Haley rushing the QB from the D-end spot they would be better. Oh wait, They do......................... Perhaps you are saying they need D. Ware AND Charles Haley?????

I am sorry this post makes no sense...I was not comparing Dallas D to Haley in anyway lol