PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton

orange machine
08-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Lets say the year is over right now and based on Hamiltons performance this year with the 29 homers and 84 batted in would you resign him to a long term deal?

Tejastrue
08-02-2012, 11:56 AM
2nd in the league in HRs and RBIs. What team wouldn't want that however the Rangers will not sell the farm to re-sign him. 3 years with an option for a 4th.

Farmersfan
08-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I don't re-sign him at all. The money that it will take could be better spent. Josh has (and is) showing that his excellence is going south fast. If I saw that Josh was simply getting unlucky and his hits were being caught with great plays or he was just hitting into shifts or such then I might have more hope for him. What i see from Josh in his "cold spell" is a complete lack of plate discipline. I have seen him swing at pitches 3' out of the strike zone and look so over matched it isn't even funny. I'm sure he will get on another hot streak but I don't hold much faith he will ever maintain a high level of play for an extended amount of time.....

defense51
08-02-2012, 04:58 PM
In 162 games everyone cools down and struggles at the plate. It's part of baseball, re-sign him for what he's worth. Don't give him an A-rod deal, but keep him a Ranger.

Tejastrue
08-02-2012, 05:08 PM
I can remember the Angels faithful calling for Pujols' head during the first two months of the season. He's turned it around. I suspect Josh will be just fine and will be a big difference maker moving toward the post-season. The guy is a career .300 plus hitter. How consistent is that?

regaleagle
08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Every opposing pitcher knows Josh is a free-swinger, and the lack of plate discipline does impact his consistency. On the flip side, he's such a pure hitter and athlete that you cannot deny his abilities and capablities are top notch. The Rangers line-up ahead and behind him support his pure-hitting abilities. He will not be as effective in a line-up that is not as loaded as the Rangers, unless he develops more plate discipline. I want the Rangers to re-sign Josh, but I'd also like to see Josh work on his plate discipline to get more good pitches thrown his way.

Roughneck93
08-03-2012, 04:52 PM
I wonder what these "mystery issues" Josh is having are all about?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/03/josh-hamilton-breaks-out-of-slump-but-stays-quiet-about-mystery-issues/

Looking4number8
08-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I wonder what these "mystery issues" Josh is having are all about?

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/03/josh-hamilton-breaks-out-of-slump-but-stays-quiet-about-mystery-issues/

I read it was chewing tabacco

Roughneck93
08-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I read it was chewing tabacco

Ah, just read it as well.

yellaseeker
08-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Every opposing pitcher knows Josh is a free-swinger, and the lack of plate discipline does impact his consistency. On the flip side, he's such a pure hitter and athlete that you cannot deny his abilities and capablities are top notch. The Rangers line-up ahead and behind him support his pure-hitting abilities. He will not be as effective in a line-up that is not as loaded as the Rangers, unless he develops more plate discipline. I want the Rangers to re-sign Josh, but I'd also like to see Josh work on his plate discipline to get more good pitches thrown his way.

Well put and right on.

Emerson1
08-04-2012, 10:04 AM
In 162 games everyone cools down and struggles at the plate. It's part of baseball, re-sign him for what he's worth. Don't give him an A-rod deal, but keep him a Ranger.

There is a huge difference between a slump and what Hamilton is in right now. After what has come out the past couple days I am not sure I'd sign such a headcase for a long term deal. I wouldn't even bet money that he is still playing the game in 3 years.

Macarthur
08-06-2012, 10:26 AM
I would resign him, but it would need to be a contract that is well below what many were estimating early in the year.

I think a 4 year with a club option on the 5th year at about $18m per year. That's somewhere in the neighborhood of Cabrera. I think that's fair. I have a hard time thinking anyone is going to give him more than 5 years.

Macarthur
08-06-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't re-sign him at all. The money that it will take could be better spent.

I would agree with this, but who replaces him? While I know we are pilling on, and he deserves some criticism, him being in that lineup changes the way guys pitch the rangers even when he's slumping. The only guy out there that I think would come close to replacing him offensively and defesively is Melky and you are going to have to give him a ton of money.